Lubuntu Doesn’t Want to be the “distribution for old computers” Anymore

>this is how Distros die

itsfoss.com/lubuntu-no-more-old-distro/

Attached: lubuntu-no-more-old-systems.png (800x450, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debiandog.github.io/
planetwatt.com/new/index.php/about/
spins.fedoraproject.org/
lubuntu.me/taking-a-new-direction/
reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/8fz0dv/disk_and_ram_usage_of_ubuntu_kubuntu_lubuntu/dy7iye5/
lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lubuntu is awsome it reminds *crrrrrk* *psssht* of Windows XP *sip*, it runs flawlessly on my decade old machine. I if they pack it with bloat *sip*... well, I wont be running it anymore. Light DE, Low memory consumption, Fast AND Modern, Lubuntu is good, don't ruin good things you filthy niggers. I switched from Mint to OpenSuse to Lubuntu, i don't want to go back. *sip* I bet the zoomers and their millenial friends did this.

ESL here. What the fuck does this mean?
>Lubuntu team argues that many Linux distributions these days can run on the computer of ten years ago than Linux distributions made five years ago with a 15 year old computer.

again
>Lubuntu won’t specifically target older hardware anymore because there is no point in doing so

What the fuck that sentence even mean, are those people serious? No point in supporting old hardware?? MY SCHOOL IN SENEGAL CAN ONLY AFFORD THE TRASHES THE WHITE MEN DON'T WANT ANYMORE, IF NO ONE SUPPORT THE OLD HARDWARE WE... THE WHITE MAN TRY TO KEEP US DOWN AGAIN, FUCKING RETARDS AND THEIR CULT OF UNSTABLE & BLEEDING EDGE

>PEJEET

YIKES but hey at least he runs a decent and good and cool site

Attached: Screenshot_20180731-104610.png (1080x1920, 373K)

I use older machines as servers. Servers don't need a gui.

I don't get it, the lightweight nature is just great for keeping things as bloatfree as possible. It's not like ONLY shitty old PCs can run it. Even on my 1800x/1080Ti work PCs that able to run any distro with ease, I would still opt for Lubuntu in my top 5 choices solely because of how lightweight it is.

It's not like I go "Oh well I have a great processor and massive amount of RAM, I guess I should go for a bloated OS instead"

it means it was written by a Pajeet

today OP was not a faggot, this truly is how distros die. There was little to no point in using Lubuntu over Xubuntu por instance, except for it being better dealing with 32-bit hardware. Now they're shootting themselves in the foot. We already have a lightweight good looking 64 bit distro (Xubuntu), we already have heavy good looking 64 bit distros (Budgie, eOS, etc) but we DO NOT fucking have a user friendly 32-bit-ready distro other than Lubuntu.

They fucked up.

I don't know if it's a placebo or what, but I feel like Lubuntu is actually faster than Xfce. But I may be wrong

>install lubuntu
>purge lxqt
>install icewm or jwm
Problem solved, but ubuntu core even better for this. Say no to bloat.

nice try Abhishek

pic related

Attached: DasRasis.jpg (404x204, 26K)

>what is puppy linux

Attached: 1531837193756.png (530x170, 29K)

It's shit.

>we DO NOT fucking have a user friendly 32-bit-ready distro other than Lubuntu.
Looks like we've got another Jow Forums project.
A void-musl derived user-friendly distro.
I'll make the logo.

Attached: 15672498.jpg (500x489, 51K)

>daily builds have arc and papirus flatshit theme
>32bit images dropped
>stop targetting old hardware
There is literally no reason for Lubuntu to exist anymore.

>think about a linux distro
>it's a puppy linux if it's loads in ramfs

bit images dropped

Attached: 1525967501714.jpg (540x405, 31K)

>pic
epic win

That's literally what I use lubuntu for. i have it on my old netbook which I don't use anymore.

>using jurassic hardware
>mmuuhhh where's my support :'(
Nobody has obligation to lost time to support jurassic hardware, faggots. Stop being poor and buy a new laptop, desktop whatever.

Fags in Africa use 10-14 years old hardware. No joke.

but running on old hardware is literally the only reason anyone would use lxde

Apparently Pajeet knows better.

my grandfather uses this. he likes it.

This is how it starts. Some years from now, we'll read:
>puppy linux is switching to gnome

>Single user
>optional non-root account fido isn't stable

???

what's even his point here?

I wish puppy didn't use some retarded package manager and didn't have special snowflake configuration menus for everything. Is there a Debian/Arch/Fedora-based distro that works entirely in RAM?

LXDE sucks, anyway, and XFCE sucks even harder. Use MATE today and hope LXQt turns out all right.

debiandog.github.io/
install alpine

>and hope LXQt turns out all right
See that "Qt"?
It will be bloated as fuck.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(((((((((

Consider wattos.
Ubuntu based with aim to be lightweight.
Personally, I've only tried it live usb tho.

If you only know Qt from KDE, Qt isn't inherently as bloated. Some Qt applications have already noticeably improved by dropping the KDE libraries -- compare QDirStat to KDirStat. In any case, it is not like there is much choice and Qt's future looks better than GTK's.

Could be worse.

Attached: LXDE_LXQt_XFCE.png (1650x766, 64K)

>planetwatt.com/new/index.php/about/
>We are a small group of friendly Linux enthusiasts
>wattOS R9 (Release 9) is the current active release and wattOS R10 will be released in August of 2016.

Dead shit [not] maintained by neckbeard autists.

They don't want to focus EXCLUSIVELY on old hardware. Jesus fucking Christ, read the article

Linux distros today run on ten year old hardware, the same wasn't true 5 years ago. Seems fairly simple to me, also ESL

Them dropping 32 bit images is all I need to know

>Kill off the only reason someone might want to use your distribution
Yeah this will go okay for sure.

it's actually not application wise but offline usage is slightly faster since it turns down unnecessary animation and aliasing shit which xubuntu handles at a higher level.

other than that they both are similar. on better hardware sometimes xubuntu is faster than lubuntu when i tried.

Good. It was dragging the DE back. Xfce is literally superior to LXDE in every way while being only slightly heavier (30-100MB RAM difference). There's no point for LXDE to exist, I hope they don't make the same mistake with LXQt.

It’s trash. Literally only useful for the absolute minimum workstation. I’m talking pentium 2 or some shit. I would never recommend running it as a primary distro for an extended period of time unless you just want the computer to somewhat function, and that’s it. As a daily driver it’s awful.

>REEEEE WHY ARENT THEY HOLDING THEMSELVES BACK BECAUSE OF US POORFAGS WHO REFUSE TO BUY NEW HARDWARE

I don't blame them. People like this are always the most toxic too so it's better to get away from this audience.

But then what distro will I use for old computers?

puppy linux?

>let's get away from our only audience and enter an extremely oversaturated competition
you are a very smart man

How about the universal distro, Debian?

Attached: debian_website.png (1366x742, 102K)

How old are we talking?

The world is not ready yet for musl. But with the alpine popularity for docker images, soon musl will overtake gnu libc. If you count containers as instalations, alpine is more used than ubutu

It needs a DE. Not just alpine. It's supposed to replace lubuntu, which means running in poor african schools hardware.
But it could be a distro with alpine as base.

So is LXDE no longer in production? I don't get why you faggots just don't use Debian.

fug puppy linux, you can't even install it.

unironically use fedora

spins.fedoraproject.org/

debian + xfce, or debian+lxde, or just debian + some light window manage like icewm.

Basically he's saying that Lubuntu's previous goal (to run on 10y/o hardware) is now irrelevant, because 10 year old hardware is more than powerful enough to run most Linux desktop distros today anyway.

a community is free to change their vision and focus however they need it. It's free, it's open source, if you don't like it, use something else. That doesn't mean I agree with that move, though. They are now competing with the big boys (distros using powerful DE like GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc).

They will have to find a new niche, people that want something out of the box and have current hardware will go to the big 2 GNOME and KDE. People that like something lighter will keep using Xfce because if it works, do not break it. Enthusiast and minimalists will go to custom system with a WM only. Where do you put Lubuntu and LXQt?

it could be because Xfce is fucking old. Old but stable. LXQt is new but (at least until July 2018) mostly beta software. And Lubuntu won't use the latest version of LXQt so it will be even more unstable.

for old computers I just use debian with openbox and tint2.

Kinda suck desu.

lubuntu.me/taking-a-new-direction/

My grandparents use 10-14 years old hardware. Only upgraded from of r51e this year - to dual core P4. Lubuntu was the distro of choice.

>Edge

Attached: 20180730_213859925_9573.jpg (249x221, 10K)

lxde felt like 5x faster than xfce for me when I tried it. xfce seemed like a pain in the ass in general.

What about AntiX? Works like a charm on my 1998 Compaq Armada.

I think the change is a nice thing. I think there's a place for a Qt-based, minimalist, lightweight desktop environment (there really needs to be more Qt DEs in general, especially now that the Budgie devs are reconsidering the Qt rewrite). XFCE is, quite honestly, overrated as fuck, development is effectively dead, and it's going to be stuck with GTKancer and Xorg for the foreseeable future. I think LXQT has a good chance to take the "minimalist DE" crown from it if they play their cards right. MATE's been getting better too, I honestly think it's pretty much the "better XFCE" nowadays.

Also, KDE has been BTFOing other DEs in terms of resource usage as of late, so there's a /lot/ less of an impetus to make LXDE/LXQT's selling point "we have super low resource usage!"

>debian based
>systemd-free
>extremely lightweight

signmethefuckup.webm

That's not old at all. A decent high-end (at the time) Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad can still be used as a daily with no major problems.
And if you go that way, nobody has the obligation to support any hardware, or make any system, or do absolutely anything. You fail to see that they are going against the very essence of what Lubuntu was supposed to be just because of the "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE NEW!!!!" meme that has been blown out of proportion in the last 5 years or so.

>KDE
>good resource usage
Not quite. It's suffering from the Windows Vista syndrome: computers used to be too weak to properly run it, but after a few years the hardware caught up and it became usable. It's still a lot heavier than anything else, but even low-end laptops won't have a problem running it these days.

t. someone about to install KDE on a decent desktop machine

Oh no, they think we actually like sepples :(

Wrong. That may have been true in years past, but as of late KDE's seen some serious memory optimizations, and now is about on par with/only slightly more resource intensive than XFCE.

Yep, I'll start using cloverOS for older systems

>and now is about on par with/only slightly more resource intensive than XFCE.
even less actually

>reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/8fz0dv/disk_and_ram_usage_of_ubuntu_kubuntu_lubuntu/dy7iye5/

and this is on plasma 5.12, the average mem usage on 5.13 seems to be about 350mb from all that ive seen

"lightweight" DEs are pretty much a fucking meme these days

>lightweight
that's over rated
the reality is I'd choose Lub because it comes with the least amount of things and I can just apt what I want on top

>>purge lxqt
good luck, afaik ubuntu it will also purge the rest of the os

lxde completely is modular, xfce is not
also pcmanfm > thunar

there's nothing wrong with 10-14 years old hardware if it's not broken

>arch drop 32 bit
>replace arch with dis
i knew i made a mistake
now i have to install arch 32 again
REEEEEEEEEEEE

Ubuntu 18.04 installs a browser and a very small number of utility software is you check minimal during the install, it might be worth checking out.

Get a job and upgrade your shit

is that rly their call or is it ubuntu in general?

did this half a year ago
don't make this mistake

that's the os [services and shit]
for example lxde on my potato [or x in general] would show free -m to about 100-150 megs

no

>you check minimal during the install
where? and don't tell me mini.iso, that was a disaster, NEVER install debian anything without testing first

>now i have to install arch 32 again
not that big a deal because it's easier and faster than installing deb/ubntu, there's a reason ean khs

It’s an option in the standard iso.

the authorities are informed. we're gonna get you

>we decided that going forward, we need to adapt for the current state of the market
these cocks take themselves too seriously
yo fags, your only job was to throw together a 32 bit live iso with pkg someone else made
jeeze

doesn't say anything about dropping 32 bit
OP baited us

lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-7/
It will happen one day...but not quite yet.

Attached: i386.png (836x330, 61K)

>And with testing happening now with i386, you can continue to revive old machines with it.
yep, op confirmed mastur bator

i see their point but [really] that would be a major mistake but then again they're just an accepted fork and can do whatever they want(?) but yeah they shouldnt drop anything until canonical drop it

SOMEONE tell those idiots that:

LXQt is irrelevant until it and kwin are wayland ready

also lxqt is not quite ready, it has some slight ''bugs'' like not saving your lxqt-application settings
also that whole transition and the drama around it is absolutely pointless, there is nothing wrong with lxde

and you know what? if they still have 32 bit by 2020 and they release lxqt only as they say, I'll just remove it and install lxde
take that faggots

create your own
i am currently working on something like this unironically

>and install lxde
or just pcmanfm tint and openbox really

communist piece of shit.

I really don't think that matters.

This is s combination of development interest shifting from LXDE to LXQt and the realization that hardware Moore's law is dead. There are new computers being sold for $400 that are beat by a $100 Thinkpad.

LXQt was like 50MB more RAM last time I tried it which was plenty light. I switched back to LXDE because of functionality.

Attached: 1532701058579.jpg (662x393, 60K)

too bad the mini.isos are really buggy or at least the ones i tried around new year were
the ONLY selling point of lubuntu as a distro is that it just werk'd and you could just logout and select openbox session... which might still be the case even if/when they switch to Qt which is pointless anyway imo

Debian + openbox/tint2 or LXDE