Tfw installed gentoo

>tfw installed gentoo

Attached: 1532094782979.jpg (610x400, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD/Install_Guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: [Untitled].jpg (1233x448, 61K)

reeeee
I can't seem to be able to install grub with uefi, gonna try again after work.

Anyone went through a similar issue?

Gentoo Linux is NOT a GNU/Linux distribution. If it was, it would be called Gentoo GNU/Linux.

now wipe that crap off and install Debian

EULA = Extremely unethical licensing agreement

Das why you use arch

Nothing is a GNU/Linux distribution. Actually fuck stallman. Just because a portion of the software used in Gentoo is linux doesn't mean it's entitled to be in the fucking name. Jesus.

...*GNU not linux

>uefi
>installing the bootjew
Legacy or bust.

Did you use the gentoo installer? If I recall it doesn't support UEFI boot, so use a different distro image and chroot into the gentoo install, then try again.

>tfw installed proprietary software

Attached: 1531368522245.jpg (640x427, 129K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

ya boss, just did it. u only need 3 partitions, /boot, /swap and /rootfs. MAKE SURE your /boot part is FAT 32, 16, or 8 formatted. lots of the tutorial caters to the *widest audience*, so make sure you're only doing things YOU need for YOUR system. make sure you read the whole page, (of every page), and refer to past sections. All the needed info is listed in the tutorial somewhere, but I found it disorganized.

>look mom I replied to everyone!

Attached: red_october.jpg (1280x720, 35K)

Works fine for me (uefi with grub)
Did you actually follow the install hanbook?

You are giving me hope, I've tried multiple times, but I keep on forgetting one small thing and when I'm about to install grub I get an error ;_;
Yeah, but it barely talks about UEFI and doesn't really make a point to help the situation.

Just don't use a bootloader at all, Linux has uefi stub loader.

Just make your /boot partition an EFI partition and format it vfat stick your kernel in efi/boot/BOOT64.EFI and your UEFI firmware will boot it automatically.

Did you install grub as though it's booting through bios? You have to specify --target=x86_64-efi if you're using uefi.

Also the handbook does have a section on bootloader install. Or search the wiki for grub.

You also have to set some flag in your portage/make.conf before emerging grub if you're using uefi. Guess you missed some of that.

I remember when I found out what Gentoo was and I was so excited to install it, to be truly "free". Then I read some advice to try easier distros first and after struggling with fuckin Debian and OpenSUSE I think I've found my level of competence to sit out.

I'd like to be able to say I configured every 1 & 0 on my computer but I'll leave that to you guys.

Feels good
I went in to the handbook with a refreshed mind and I found out that they have a lot of info to help. The problem was that it was too vague when I first read it so I began skipping it.
The issue was my motherboard, like it said on the handbook.

Now I have to try and configure the network cause I was too lazy to do it before...

When the entire user land and the bootloader is gnu I think they do actually.
Try using Linux with cd, ls, grep, wget, grub etc etc

Then stop using GCC, glibc, GNU coreutils, GNU binutils,...

'Linux' is easier to say.

The point is gentoo is not inherently gnu. You can install gnu if you want, but you can also install whatever user land, libc, cc, etc that you want. Hell, gentoo isn't even Linux either bc it works on bsd.

>it works on bsd

Attached: 1527407562994.png (738x553, 394K)

Was there not a gentoo/freebsd project? I guess it might be deprecated but I remember portage was working fine as a replacement to ports

For a very short time there was, and they borrowed some shit from FreeBSD to make Portage. Still runs on Linux though.

The mainline Gentoo is most definitely a GNU/Linux system.

Being able to install, configure, and use Debian still puts you in the top 3% of humanity for computer skills. The "hardcore" distros are for the truly bored NEETs or turbo wizards.

Outdated and unmaintained because nobody uses BSD, and even less people use it to end up with a Gentoo system when they could install regular Linux-based Gentoo instead, but still
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD/Install_Guide

There was also Gentoo/OpenBSD, shame the based project died

>Being able to install, configure, and use Debian still puts you in the top 3% of humanity for computer skills. The "hardcore" distros are for the truly bored NEETs or turbo wizards.

You mean "burning" and iso to a usb, using a graphical installer, and goggling drivers for my graphics card sets me that high? People in the first world really aren't that stupid, are they?

Attached: taylor.jpg (928x523, 73K)

Not even Linux Torvalds can install Debian.

Where the fuck is my salary raise?

Attached: 153566.jpg (1680x1050, 256K)

tfw installed Windows XP

Attached: 1498693729767.jpg (2048x1536, 690K)

>People in the first world really aren't that stupid, are they?
they are. using smartphones' app stores is too much for most of the normalkeks.

I dont feel this comfortable stroking my ego. If non-tech savvy people you're trying to describe are normies does that make us something else? Bottom-feeders?

Attached: 11850205_1488433738136293_1215708365_n.jpg (1080x1080, 136K)

Based

Stallman is the equivalent of a potato farmer who sold a bunch of his potatos to Mc Donalds to be used as french fries, and he now thinks he's entitled to advertise for McDonalds in any way he feels fit. Protip: Ignore the loon.