There are people on this board who will defend or deny this

>there are people on this board who will defend or deny this

Attached: 1533059792057.jpg (357x357, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My professor was using Arch and his MATLAB broke during his lecture.
It's literally undeniable.

this is a meme, arch has never broke on me

>this is a meme,
No, it really isn't.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahaahhahahhaahahahahahahahahahhahaahaha archfags will defend this

Proprietary software breaks. Blames distro

>Proprietary software breaks.
Yeah, that shouldn't happen, spoiler it wasn't a MATLAB update which caused it.

Attached: 1526750989949.png (1465x1007, 117K)

Hasn't broken on me yet.

I use Gentoo, there is no excuse for shit like this.

good thread.

Arch has pacnew files, I remember reading about gentoo's method of dealing with updates to .configs, but I can't remember details.

distro thread? distro thread!
I need something new as:
-debian gave me cancer with wifi drivers and non-esr firecucks
-suse refuses to boot on this machine
-memejaro is unreliable, same goes for arch
-[insert literally any letter possible here]buntu doesn't come with base installation, and it takes me more time to purge all the bloat and get my shit running than when i start with debian netinst
-void became unbootable after a recent update, due to intel-ucode which Just Doesn't Do Shit ™
>inb4 gentoo
I'd unironically take this bait, but I need this machine running in less than 24 hours, and that's not quite enough to compile anything on shitty core2duo

I use arch for 3+ years and literally never even had a reason to touch xorg. It Just Worx(tm) out of the box.

pacman has never touched my config unless I delet it so it creates the stock one

Install Crux, faggot.

I have never had to fix Xorg on arch install. Arch is very stable. The only hard part is setting it up and configuring the desktop once that's done. All you have to do is enjoy your bloat free system.

>2018
>using a xorg.conf
Also, Arch Linux doesn't ship a xorg.conf file so it's literally impossible for it to break yours, if you create one.

Joke on you, I use Manjaro

>using rolling release unstable distro for doing presentations
what is wrong with archfags

End it all , just , please , what even is the purpose of causing arguments without even backing it up!

Attached: Did someone say ARCH.jpg (547x480, 16K)

>using proprietary software
thats his problem m8

GuixSD

Should add a line that says "NO ONE WANTS TO MEET YOU SON"

The only things that break for me on arch are systemd and pulseaudio

I think that's just plain stupid. This "file x.conf saved as x.conf.pacnew" can get past very easily on a big install/update. There is a package manager that tells you your configuration file conflicts with an update, and gives you an overview of the changes on the fly. I think it's FreeBSD

Fedora Workstation, man.

Don't know, he was a great professor though.

Yes, it is. I'm currently running Arch on my machine since a year ago, I have not had any problems. Stop talking shit.

This happened to me too. I needed to remove a couple of bundled libraries and update jogl to a yet unreleased version to support the newest version of mesa.

>a year
A newfag treading on his legs for the first time.

I ran Arch for two years and several things broke that were not my fault. Sometimes it was my fault, but even excluding those instances it is inexcusable.

Dinguses like you don't seem to realize that there isn't a distro in existence that doesn't have bugs. Pick any distro, even Debian stable, and post a screenshot of a blank bugs page. You only notice it on Arch because for whatever reason, people spam this place with epic memes about Arch. It's literally no less stable than anything else. Stable anything, is a meme in itself.

I use Ubuntu and I've had to fix things as well, granted it wasn't anything that broke my system and the fixes were all easily available with a google search.

>le oldfag meme Xd
A year using the real Arch, nigger. Before that I was using Manjaro.
I don't have any problems, but Gentoo is quite better, so I'll probably switch soon. I'm dualbooting Arch and Gentoo.

I've had significantly fewer issues on literally every other distribution I've used. I've used Linux for a decade, I'm well aware that everything has bugs. But some distributions are demonstrably less prone to bugs than others typically due to their release cycle or sponsorship from companies like Red Hat who are invested in ironing out issues relatively quickly. I didn't even know about the Arch memes when I used it, so your entire argument is inapplicable to me.

I don't really have a need for Gentoo so I've not bothered with it yet. Good luck, though. Should be an interesting experience at least.

My professor was using gentoo and his MATLAB broke during his lecture.
It's literally undeniable.

I use Ubuntu and Arch and have experienced pretty much an equal number of minor issues. I had an Arch installation for 5 years and never had a serious issue, I wiped the drive it was on because I had so much crap installed, I used to dread how long updates would take. Arch and Ubuntu are easy, there's tons of documentation.

>Ubuntu

Why does Arch break? Updates. How do we minimize updates? Debian stable.

every single systemd distro overwrites my settings to tune the trackpoint and other things.
Imagine any other OS messing this up.

My professor's aid was using Debian and her MATLAB broke during her lecture.
It's literally undesirable.

I've been using Arch for the last 2 years. And I only had 1 problem that wasn't my fault.

One version of the linux kernel (4.12) had some issues with the acpi on my laptop, for a couple of days my touchpad and keyboard didn't work and I had to use external input devices.

Apart from that, the only other problem I had was setting up the nvidia drivers, it took me some time to figure out how to use the gpu but after that it was a smooth drive.

If you can't use an os blame your stupidity and not the software.

forgot, the bitmap fonts, they're done for when any linux distro updates.

Lies you filthy scoundrel. Debian is bae, Debian has never failed me. You delete that post

yall niggas replyin to some idiot who doesnt know shit about arch and just thought it would cause an autismplosion because you fat nerds like to argue over the most petty shit
im horrified that he was right

Attached: file.png (600x623, 493K)

>this whole thread
neck yourselves linuxfags

Attached: 1532890438945.png (500x273, 204K)

this

also even if you have some problem, the arch documentation is so vast that you'll find a solution to it

Having to config or fix Xorg is an old meme. It used to be true for many Linux distros, but hasn't been really a thing in something like over ten years

Did he update it in the middle of the lecture or what?

I don't know what he did, but apparently when he tested it some time before it worked.

No,seriously, 99% of the problems that occur in Arch are caused when the user doesn't look at the errors pacman spits out. For the past few years almost everything that can be considered an issue directly related to Arch, has been a matter of removing a file with a name that is no longer valid. The Arch home page tells you whenever they decide to do this,too,so there's really no excuse.If Gentoo were as easy to install as Arch, you'd have an equal number of dummies calling it shit.

I've used debian fedora centos ubuntu mint gentoo and arch
They all have their reasons for existing.
>inb4 obscure fork
Yes they have a reason to exist too.
Arch is great for people who want to decide whats running on their system in a fairly streamlined and easy to use environment. Its easier than gentoo and has AUR which gives the user access to alot of software. Arch is a great distro. Its bloatfree, easy to use and has access to bleeding edge software and drivers. This doesn't mean its perfect. There are reasons why people wouldn't want to use it. But hey different strokes for different folks. I love arch and will continue to use it.

Attached: sdX4wGDD_400x400.jpg (400x400, 27K)

But how is it a problem with Arch and not MATLAB? If a program crashes when I'm running any system, most of the time it's the fault of the program and not the system. That's why I'm wondering

arch linux exists for pedofags only

>But how is it a problem with Arch and not MATLAB?
Because it worked before. If your Operating system breaks software it is garbage. MATLAB doesn't update itself, it is pretty static.

>If a program crashes when I'm running any system, most of the time it's the fault of the program and not the system. That's why I'm wondering
The purpose of an Operating system is to run Software. If it fails to do that consistently, even when the Software doesn't change, it is unsuited for use.

Whatever works for you, my man. That's why there are thousands of distros to choose from.
Me, personally? I'm a CentOS boi.

>Because it worked before. If your Operating system breaks software it is garbage. MATLAB doesn't update itself, it is pretty static.
Every program works before they don't I've had programs crash in literally every is I've used programs on. I've used Chromium and Firefox in most systems and had them crash in all of them. Would seem weird for me to blame the OS if I had no idea what caused the crash.
>The purpose of an Operating system is to run Software. If it fails to do that consistently, even when the Software doesn't change, it is unsuited for use.
Again, I'm wondering if Arch did anything here or if it was all MATLAB. You don't have to update software or even do anything new in them to get them to crash. Sometimes shit just crashes for seemingly no reason, on every system.

>crash
Nothing crashed. MATLAB was just unable to start. Some library issue or something.

>You don't have to update software
Then you should be using Debian stable and not a rolling release distro.

>Sometimes shit just crashes for seemingly no reason, on every system.
Yes. Crashes happen, but just starting the Program again should be fix enough, if the Program is unable to run after a Software update something went wrong.

you are a brainlet who couldnt install arch and got butthurt about it no doubt

>there are people on this board who still manually modify xorg.conf

>you are a brainlet who couldnt install arch and got butthurt about it no doubt
No I intentionally use a more stable Ito because I need my hit to work. That came after my experience with Arch and yes I did install Arch.

>That came after my experience with Arch and yes I did install Arch
nope, you didn't.
you just didnt have a pajeet giving you jewtube tutorials to install it well. add to that, you didnt even read through the arch or gentoo wiki.
you must've skimmed through and got fucked. just stop lying, it shows.

>nope, you didn't.
Yes I did, using the arch wiki.
It honestly wasn't hard, the wiki is pretty nice.

>you just didnt have a pajeet giving you jewtube tutorials to install it well. add to that, you didnt even read through the arch or gentoo wiki.
>you must've skimmed through and got fucked. just stop lying, it shows.
It worked well enough. I just didn't want to get memed by a software update which destroys my productivity so I switched to Debian.

>just stop lying, it shows
???

>I need my hit to work
whatever you say bub

wtf arent you using YA with zen kernel you faggot?

>Dean cancel my meetings, my arch install broke again

arch linux isn't hard to install. literally has an install guide that's like a page long

it gets complicated if you want to add things like mdadm, dm-crypt, lvm, btrfs subvolumes.

How hard was it for you?

>not using GNU Octave
shiggy diggy

>make a xorg.conf in your home dir
>make a link to it in the X11 folder
woah

I've used debian stable then testing for a few years, then moved on to arch. I've been using it for at least 4 years. For one or two months the radeon driver had a bug that caused an X crash, so I had to revert it to an older version. Once lightdm had a bug and it couldn't start up, had to downgrade that as well. That bug got fixed in less than a day. I do not remember anything other annoyance. These kind of fuck ups are expected on a rolling release distro. At least you can use the latest software, and you are not bothered by the same set of bugs for years.

dispatch-conf
z

Arch doesn't overwrite config files if they've been user editted.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

I'm honestly curious, not trying to troll, what's the appeal of rolling release distros? I can't really see an upside to this for computers that you need for regular use. Isn't it more important to have something that you can trust to stay operational, especially when it comes to machines that work is done on? Rolling release seems like something for hobbyists.

how can I unsee the arch logo being a fat guy with a triangle on his shoulder

it's really bothering me

>Matlab
>on arch
he was basicly begging for it desu desu

Based
Yes

>systemD
>Bloatfree

What the hell? Are you in europoor or something where the schools can't afford Windows licenses?

here's an honest question:

Gentoo guys: DIY pure linux
Slackware: old-school, unix-inspired linux but actually can be installed without a veteran gentooman initiating you

Arch? where does it fit in? how do arch bros have a niche that's not already filled by Slackware or Gentoo?

>meanwhile, my Gentoo beast just werks and gets comfier by the day

Attached: comfy.jpg (409x409, 45K)

I use both, so I'll give you my input. I used gentoo as my first linux distro, and only installed arch on my laptop because it's a surface book, and getting the hardware to work required a kernel patch that had been scripted only for ubuntu and arch. That's actually a pretty good example of the differences in support and the reason why one might use arch over gentoo: arch is a ubuntu for (wannabe)power users/ricers basically. It has a lot of support for novices in terms of hardware, their userbase and wiki, and default software, but doesn't go as far or is as bloated as ubuntu. With arch you can give a fairly minimal system without experience, and unlike ubuntu the attitude of most of its userbase leans towards learning/understanding/customizing their system.

This sounds a bit demeaning or critical, but I don't really mean for it to be. We aren't born with complete knowledge of the UNIX history and ecosystem and the discernment to make our own system system from scratch, i.e. LFS, but some of us might like to approach that or at least try to while still having a functional computer. I think arch is generally for those people. I installed arch because I didn't have to competence/confidence+time to learn about kernel hacking, and although very experienced gentoo users probably could whip up gentoo on a surface book pretty quickly if they wanted to, they haven't written a decent guide for the rest of us. In fact, they probably aren't inclined to, because they're busy being productive on something else, haven't bought such an overpriced meme laptop, and think we should figure out how to do it ourselves anyway. And that's dandy.

Rolling release doesn't mean an update gets shoved down your throat every other hour like windows, it just means that you can upgrade smoothly from one version to the next without reformatting everything or reinstalling the whole system. You can update when/where/how you want, which is exactly what I want from any system. Your system is only as unstable as you want it to be.

>le old fag meme
well in many domain experience is needed to acquire skills.

>it's never happened to me so it's a meme

You are literally autistic

>xorg.conf
Hello boomer

>where the schools can't afford Windows licenses?
No. They can, there are both Windows and Linux Machines here, it just so happens that many Professors prefer Linux.