Need a laptop for college

>need a laptop for college
>been looking at different laptops for months
>still can't decide months later
>I move in in two weeks

why am I such an indecisive fag?

Attached: flat,800x800,070,f.u3.jpg (591x800, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=t420
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop caring about your virgin manchild games. I know you do because if you didn't the answer would be clear.

Triple 7's tell the truth: OP is a dumb faggot

fpbp

Just buy a thinkpad for taking to class then build a desktop if you need more power.

Doesn't help most decent laptops are expensive as shit.

Better off getting a desktop and a tablet and call it a day.

This. I'm a college student and a T420 does all the work i need.

Buy a Fujitsu T938

this
I'm on a T410 right now, works just fine and will probably for a few more years

Look at getting a real laptop that's portable and has a good cpu and an egpu (laptop needs a good enough USB port too)

used thinkpad or used mac
just get something

The problem is that you can buy:

1. A cheap laptop for under $600 that has the basics, but skimps on decent screen or keyboard or something else
2. An expensive laptop that has everything you need, but is over $1200

There's no happy medium laptop in a reasonable budget.

Depending on your school it might actually be worth it to get a macbook or surface because of student discounts. This is the only instance I would recommend those though, I wouldn't pay full price for one.

What's your major? Do you need to do 3d rendering or any other cpu/gpu intensive tasks? If so there's a few Dell's with decent video cards at a few price ranges (just pick a budget that works for you) that I think have the best price:performance ratios of any other laptop manufacturer.

2 is the medium. 3 is the 3000 dollar lightweight high battery life gaming laptop

Or you could get a dell 7559 or some shit that has a 1080ti or something (cant remember whats in the recent versions of it), decent screen, good thermals, good battery, good build quality etc for like $1300. Its technically a "gaming" laptop, but there's no obnoxious branding or anything

I have the same problem. It even has a name "Buridan's ass".
The amount of products and choices nowadays is far too big to make proper decicisons that cover all your needs/wishes.
That's also the same reason why people became so defendend about the shit they bought. Noone wants to admit a mistake, but making the mistake is unavoidable.

A 1080ti, a comparable monitor, and comparable CPU alone cost 1300 the laptop is probably 20 pounds or gimped as fuck.

>define priorities
>define price range
>research products in price range with decent reviews
>optional: try out products in a real store
>rate products according to priorities
>choose best rated product
If you're just doing office work and programming look for a good CPU.
GPU is negligible as long as you don't gaym which you shouldn't.
Should be as light as possible but not at the cost of CPU performance.
Personally I bought one for around 600$ with Intel graphics and it's perfect for work.
15" is a good screen size. Rest is pretty much common sense.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=t420

pick one and stop worrying about vidya.

Oh, I forgot. Make sure to pick one with an SSD.

Triple 7s of truth
The only people that can’t decide on a laptop are gaymur cucks

>Dell G3 15

I was mistaken, they have 1050ti's. Still a very capable card. And they have versions for $1100 and $1400 among other price points, not $1300 exactly. I also got the model number wrong I guess they switched their 7000-series laptops to G3, but it basically looks like the same shit just with updated hardware from a few years ago. I dont think you really lose out on anything with these though

>USB 3.1, with optional thunderbolt type-c if you want
>5.57lb
>1tb hdd with an available m2 slot
>8gb ram that isnt soldered in with an open slot that's super easily accessible by removing 1 screw off the bottom plate
>good battery

The only cons are that the display isn't great (as said before, you aren't going to get a 4k super vivid display for

>What's your major?
CS, why else would I be on Jow Forums?
> Do you need to do 3d rendering or any other cpu/gpu intensive tasks?
probably some CAD but nothing that needs some super beefy GPU
>If so there's a few Dell's with decent video cards at a few price ranges (just pick a budget that works for you) that I think have the best price:performance ratios of any other laptop manufacturer.
Right now I'm looking at getting an XPS 15. Good processor, good screen, serviceable GPU, lots of ram, and lots of storage space for $2000

buy google pixelbook, its only $750

1050ti is much much much worse than a 1080ti faggot. Also you can get a 1070 ti which is infinitely better for the same price point in a custom build or a """portable""" laptop

if you planning on carrying it to classes then XPS13 or 15

Just buy a MacBook. They exist for retards like you.

Gigabyte aero15x/similar models are better

>bought laptop in 2008
>been looking at different laptops for 10 years
>still nothing that qualifies as an upgrade
ebin

Attached: 4441.jpg (576x432, 45K)

show me a laptop with a 1070ti that's anywhere close to that price point

I'm just gonna get an XPS 15 so abort thread I guess

Attached: oaLMvrX2hY92tRgkBw7zh.jpg (1260x709, 274K)

THIS. I'm in a T410 and it works me over no problem.

Attached: 5cpxqc9wfr801.png (984x722, 424K)

I already have this bad boy. Maybe I should just show up to class with this.

Attached: HBPqCEMZFqVEndDP.large.jpg (800x600, 65K)

macbook pro

I'm going to a good engineering school so the only people there who use fagbooks are women.

Only if the battery holds up

>CS
Lol another CS/gaymer cuck at a school with literally thousands of other people that are the same.

>CS, why else would I be on Jow Forums?
CS belongs more on /sci/ than on Jow Forums, its practically a superset of math and little it has to do with actual technology or even programming
Engineering students make more sense to be on Jow Forums, dumb underage numale

we'll see where I am in life in five years gayboy

Attached: 1529041317131.jpg (1024x1024, 54K)

i5 /8gb ram / 2gb gpu / 250gb ssd
get these minimum so you can actually work and not get a toaster
anything above is a luxury
avoid gaymer laptops cuz battery sux and it will turn off cuz it will overheat

I finished my last two years of college with a $200 x220t and some EC2 instances
Any modern laptop is colossally overpowered for an undergrad CS program

Not OP but what laptops fit those specs?

get that new budget macbook and put linux on it

dont know
go to a website that sells them and tick those boxes as minimum

I finished my CS degree with anything that ran ssh.

This.
I used a D430

Looking for a job with the literally thousands of other CS/gaymur graduates.

this. I use a T430 with keyboard mod for university.

Buy a tablet, and keep a PC at the dorm. I can write down and draw anything with my tablet. I can even SSH to my server.
I am still with my Lenovo G550 that has a dual core Pentium in it. Runs okay for VSCode, mediocre for browsing in today's heavy websites. Windows 10 is now too heavy and unusable on it so I only use my Ubuntu MATE partition.

Attached: Screenshot_20180719-151921.jpg (768x1024, 390K)

Is a Latitude 5590 for 900€ a decent choice for programming, shitposting, animu and some light vidya?
i5 8250u, 512GB M.2 SSD, 68Wh battery

Going to run Windows 10 for a few things, but mostly Linux.

How are Acer Swift 3?
The Ryzen models seem pretty nice.

Build your own

Lol it's a fucking laptop you spergs. What you want to play monster Hunter world on max settings in the corner of the break room? I have the same one he mentioned and it's been great. Replaced the shitty thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU. Added an nvme drive to it. Get more than 6 hours of usage on it. And it doesn't look like a shitty gaymeing computer. Get rekt.

Dell 7567

>need a laptop for college
Pen and fucking paper.

Tfw you want a thin 13 inch laptop with upgradable ram and storage and removable battery for under 500-600usd

Acer Chromebook 14 running Arch GNU/Linux

Attached: IMG_20180724_232757.jpg (5344x4008, 2.35M)

Buy a Stinkpad and either farm out your compiles to the university's super computer or build a desktop and remote into it for programming. That's what I did when I was in school

>Go to nearest store
>Buy 200 dollar laptop
Oh wow so difficult

>mediocre for browsing in today's heavy websites. Windows 10 is now too heavy and unusable on it so I only use my Ubuntu MATE partition.
Nigga what. I assume you have the T4200 which is better than the low voltage c2d my laptop has and yet this laptop has no problem with bloated sites like YT playing 1080p30 video and even Photoshop, it also runs Windows 10 fine.

Lenovo Yoga 910 running Debian (best touchscreen support)

>mfw no good laptop with Ryzen yet

Attached: 1476049138401s.jpg (217x250, 7K)

If you care about gayming, don't buy a gayming laptop, just buy PC and cheaper laptop.
Gaming laptops:
- are super hot
- battery life ~ 1.5h while NOT gaming
- need changing paste every year
- keyboard ghosting
- big input delay because of shitty screens
- some modern games might not work in fullscreen thanks to dual GPU
Gayming laptops are literally the worst laptops, but with the best graphics cards.
Buy a good laptop for work, don't make a mistake like me

Huwae matebook D 600 bucks.

I know that feel

Get a macbook air

dig an old one out of your attic

Yeah it has the T4200. Do you use the same HDD it came with or did you upgrade to an SSD? Mine died so I pulled a different HDD from a semi-dead laptop. Also how much RAM? Mine is 3 GB. Also is there any point in watching 1080p on a 1366x768 resolution?

Haha guess who isn't getting laid this semester? Fucking virgins

/thread

I like your digits, so you get a (you) for this weak bait.

This user knows what's up. If you need to use Photoshop or shit like that you're fucked no matter what anyways :^)

My ThinkPad t450 does everything I need and more. Only costed me 300CAD dollars too

do NOT buy acer
build quality is universally awful

I'm moving to the Middle East at the tail end of this month from the UK for work, will be traveling the area also during my downtime. I want a gaming laptop so I have something to do on flights, in the airport or so I can lug it back home every 3-4 months. Not everyone wants a gaming laptop because they're an autistic sperg in the 'corner of the break room'.

$600 MATEBOOK D
From Walmart

Thank me later

I'm interested in that setup. How's it working for you?

yep, x230t here

If you can afford it get yoruself a Macbook otherwise a SAmsung Chromebook will do just fine with GalliumOS installed

SSD of course, HDDs don't belong in laptops anymore. These are the specs And no, there's no point i just said that as a performance reference.

>Slapping some Jow Forums stickers on it and pretending to be mysterious edgy hackerman
At least they'll have a remote chance, you can't just buy a Macbook and outchad chad.

>get 1366x768 celery
sik deal

>Implying you need more as a college student

>implying you shouldn't take more if you can get more

Based and redpilled

works pretty well, granted you know what to expect. It's not powerful at all, but I only needed something that was light, had good battery life, and could handle word processing/light web browsing.
This does a pretty good job of meeting all those criteria and doesn't break the bank either.

Everyone thinks you're autistic.

The 2018 model sucks, get an asus vivobook better.

You think people are autistic based on what computer they buy..?

I don't need to get laid.

Attached: ADT700_2_20.jpg (1000x1000, 60K)

Thanks. I'll get myself a decent SSD. This laptop looks sturdy so I think it will be worth it, and I can always salvage it out anyway.

>incel detected

I get laid every day by my waifu.

Attached: 41Yb2mFjxtL._SX355_.jpg (355x315, 11K)