Be me

>be me
>read "The C programming language"
>totally fucking new to programming
>book isn't made for beginners

What kind of book is good to learn C for beginners or what do I need to know to understand the fucking book.

Attached: 1532151456083.png (304x243, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sarabander.github.io/sicp/html/1_002e1.xhtml#g_t1_002e1
google.com/doodles/celebrating-50-years-of-kids-coding
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What kind of book is good to learn C for beginners

Here is your problem, C is not for beginners.

Why do you want to learn C?

Okay first off you didn't give us any context. Why do you want to start with C? What do you need programming for?

Anyhow, for a hobbyist I'd recommend the following:
>Do the Python basics course
There's plenty of them online, any will work

>Do some problems with python
Project Euler has some good ones, maybe other anons also have links idk

>Have cool idea about what you'd need in your digital life
Like idk a batch file renamer, a text parser, some weird anime sorting utility, i don't give a shit.

>Split into reasonably small parts and basically copy-paste your way to a working solution
Serioously, you learn faster by "needing" the code you're writing. If you search for the same thing for the 6th time, then guess what you'll learn it eventually.

Congrats, you're better than 90% of the people out there.

Millenial detected.

C is perfectly fine as a first programming language. Thing we can both agree on however is the fact that other languages are easier to understand. To OP, think like this:
"high level" languages are basically a Volvo. Nothing ever breaks, it's safe to use, shit like that.
"Low level" laguages like C are like the IKEA equivalent of a car in my analogy. You can build it any way you like, it's gonna be a shit ton more efficient if you know what you're doing, but at the end of the day it's gonna take much more time and expertise to be done right.

C is closer to how machines "see" code: more or less just data + instructions
Python/others are closer to human syntax.

I'd say pick up C after you kinda know how to program but you REQUIRE the C language for, fuck if i know, embedded systems or some shit.

Attached: 1532928984115.jpg (600x600, 87K)

Start with python you nigger.

nno go with java first you Red Boiled Crab Ass Sucker

some of the exercises are tough of course (even for more advanced programmers), but i think even a beginner can profit from The C Programming Language. they do explain almost everything.

i wouldn't mind some additional info on the lower ends of C, memory management, runtime initialization, debugging, even the compilation process, though. any good resource for that kind of stuff?

Just learn JavaScript. It's made for brainlets like you.

Who is that rare red pepe and do you mind if I save?

Try out java for your first language. It's easier to get started, and the errors it spits out will be a lot more helpful for you to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Dumb frogposter.

fucking ignorant asshat you need to go with haskell as your first language

i would argue that if you are serious about programming C is actually the best choice to begin with. the base syntax is fairly simple, you will learn a lot of other important computer principles along the way and it is extremely powerful, flexible and popular.

>basically a Volvo
>like the IKEA equivalent
Swede detected, surprised post isnt praising diversity

telling me to learn haskell is the exact same thing as telling me to learn gymnastics just so i can be flexible enough to lick my own penis and ass

I'll take some time. Just read over things and if you're confused by something look it up online and if you're wondering what a line of code does or why it has to be written that way look that up too.

If you see
int main( int argc, char* argv ){}
And you're wondering what the argc and argv stuff means you can look it up. Also why do you need a main() function and why does it have to be and int? Once you start looking things up to see why they're used instead of just copying examples you'll start to understand more.

argv are the first values on the stack when you execute your program right? So when you call a pop instruction they're the first you'll get, is this correct?

Yes.

SICP

I don't care if it's not C, read it

sarabander.github.io/sicp/html/1_002e1.xhtml#g_t1_002e1

Not op, just leaving a link

>implying c or that book is not made for begginers
here is your problem

>learning a ded language in fucking 2018
js is where it’s at familia

>cant understand the c programming language

Attached: cringe.jpg (399x322, 29K)

thry this:
google.com/doodles/celebrating-50-years-of-kids-coding

thanks btw

>learning c as your first language

20 million iq move

This.

I'll probably get a ton of shit, but if you have never written a line of code in your life, just learn basic java. No more than basic syntax, loops, function calls, data structures and maybe a little OOP in case you need to program in some other OOP language. Once you've learned that throw away your java books and never use java again.

Then you can start learning C. With the basics out of the way you can focus on the finer points of C. Memory management in particular is a whole new issue you have to worry about, one that is not worth tackling right away if you don't under stand the basic syntax of C (which is largely the same as java). You will probably get overwhelmed if you try to tackle all of this at once.

C is not going to hold your hand the way language like java will. C takes off the training wheels and lets you see how a computer really behaves once a bunch of the high level of the abstraction is gone.

This is coming from a person who does C programming full time.

Attached: 1415148932800.jpg (599x473, 32K)

I'm curious about them too. They have souls; they're not counterfeit pepes. I think that's the third one I've seen.

C is shit as a learning language because it fails to abstract away the hardware limitation of the memory model.

first language should be either scheme with SICP or python with MIT 6.001, both available online.

>he doesn't know about fresco

Attached: 1530072044736.png (387x290, 15K)

this and this

C Programming: A Modern Approach by K.N. King

That is what I would recommend for a beginner. That book plus a coding exercise website will take you from beginner to intermediate.

Attached: 1529583849179.gif (312x519, 136K)

can whoever started the pride bullshit actually kys?
we get it, we're the most inclusive country ever. and everyone knows that,
just shut the fuck up about it already

Attached: IMG_20180729_160219.jpg (1164x2102, 619K)

>C
How about learning something useful that will get you a job? Doing something and getting paid for it is the only way to master anything because you can live off your labor rather than spending your free time doing it.

Learn Java, .NET, JS or some other contemporary language that is used by professional developers.

Python is a glorified scripting language, learning it with the mindset of becoming a professional developer is a bad idea.

SICP is a meme at this point. It's completely irrelevant for anyone wanting to work practically as a programmer or coder in 2018.

based

How do I get started with Java then?

>book isn't made for beginners
what
what do you mean?
maybe that it isn't made for kids? because a book for kids isn't the same as a book for beginners. If you want a programming book for kids then there are plenty of those lately. Just remember you have to be +18 to post here, kid.

what the fuck is op talking about, I took a shit course in high school of c++ fixing some shit example programs of the book that didn't work as suposed, then tried to do a bit of python but the book was so shit and slow I better jumped to this and has been fantastic, I learn even faster than with "python the hard way" I think it was. If you can't follow "The C programming lang" the probably you are retarded or you are a 15 years ADHD

Do that one just like the manchild you are.