/spg/ - Smartphone General

Honor Note 10 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: 02_honor_note_10.jpg (1906x1164, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-4-64GB/dp/B07D82MTZL
amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Redmi-Unlocked-Global-Warranty/dp/B06Y199WWL
m.es.aliexpress.com/item/32854848418.html?pid=808_0005_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32854848418&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The previous thread is not even at page 9, what the hell are you doing?

I have a Nexus 6P that's laggy as hell. Switching between apps takes forever, it gets super hot, but the battery life is surprisingly good. I was looking at getting a OnePlus 6 but is flashing LineageOS a good option to speed up my phone?

Galaxy Note 9 is overpriced , another disaster in the making.

It's at bump limit

>normie puts his s8 in the drawer next to his s7.
>gets an s9
>see you next year samsung.

Worth a try. Have you tried a factory reset though?

So? You shouldn't make a new thread until it's at least on page 9. How can you simultaneously be this retarded and also able to use a smartphone?

what do we have to do to bring back removable batteries?
kickstarter?
petitions?
lobby the phonemakers?

Redpill me on the Sony Xperia XZ2. On sale at BH for 650. Do you guys think it will get cheaper later this year or should I pull the trigger now? Have an HTC 10 but the battery is shit now. I was hoping it'd limp until december but it still loses something like 50% charge over night

>You shouldn't make a new thread until it's at least on page 9.
But I did. What are you going to do about it?

Normies call the shots now , they rather have shiny glass waterproof phones than to have the choice to replace the battery themselves(they have no problem paying hand over fist to get someone else to replace it for them though.)

Removable batteries also goes against the planned obsolescence model the corps have.

Call you a faggot. Not that it makes any difference because you always knew you were one and molested your father which caused your mother to divorce him. No surprise you came out this way when nobody loves you.

>Do you guys think it will get cheaper later this year
sure, never buy phones at release, though the XZ2 already has a fairly good price but if you look at the S9 for example you can already get that for below 600. You should look out for deals that always come and go in fall

Hello... any additional replies to please?

>Call you a faggot
Wow, how original.

They had to ask nicely. Secondly, you don't know if it was via the OS, or if it was via the hardware itself.

>Call you a faggot
No bully

What criteria do you expect us to use to decide what the best phone is? If there was a best phone then everyone would have it. Best in it's price point? It's up there, sure, but the bootloader is locked down if you care about flashing custom roms or whatever.

Your question about Amazon doesn't really make sense. As a whole it's less skeevy than something like eBay but unless it's fulfilled through Amazon you can't really ask if it's a safe buy. If it's fulfilled by some other company then you'd have to research that company. If the product is shipped and fulfilled by Amazon but you prefer to use Saturn or whatever then check if you can do a price match. In America stores will price match products that are shipped and fulfilled by Amazon but not those fulfilled by other companies, so it might be the same with whatever European thing you're talking about I guess.

I think one way of preventing the obsolesence would be shifting the business model, like Apple and Xiaomi are doing it right now.
Phonemakers only make money from the initial purchase and then have to lure you into buying a new model to make money again
Apple and Xiaomi are updating their phones for so long or are even selling them at no profits because they make money from the software
On iOS you pay via iTunes and store your photos on iCloud, MIUI is experimenting with ads and better apps as part of a subscription service.

Sorry, you make good point. It's just I'm pressed for time since I need to buy relatively ASAP if I want to get the express delivery for today.
>What criteria do you expect us to use to decide what the best phone is?
Under €250, replacement for an old Huawei Y300 Ascend. Phone should be robust and have as minimal bloat as possible, and ideally last me at least until January 1st, 2021. I don't care about cameras beyond basic functionality and I never not use headphones.
>Your question about Amazon doesn't really make sense.
I ask this based on those comments that were floating around Prime Day were people were claiming any offer made through Amazon on that day was "used" or "refurbished" phones that they resealed and passed as "new". I doubt the validity of such claims but made me paranoid anyway... specially in comparison to buying from a physical retailer, where if something happens to the phone I can just go in and they give me a refund or another one.
>In America stores will price match products that are shipped and fulfilled by Amazon
I had no idea about this, I'll ask tomorrow (in a few hours), thanks.

Fuck I missed the Moto X4 deal.

Any good phones with a really good camera and battery life and the occasional Arena of Valor game in the $200-400 range? I prefer new (I don't want a phone with a fucked up battery)

In USA on T-Mobile. Thanks in advance friendos.

Moto G6 Plus sometimes has insane deals
If you're lucky you can get an S8 for $400

I don't think the G6 Plus works in America.

The s8 (t-mobile version) is 418+tax with unidays on the samsung website, but I've heard bad things about the battery life and I'm not sure if the tmobile version can be rooted

Mi Mix 2

Just bought an Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 lads, did I fucked up?

I just want that 5000mah battery.

it has a SoT from 7-9 hours, not bad I guess

I keep reading that the G6 plus isn't available in the US

oh I didn't knew about that sry

Why's the Redmeme note 5 shilled so hard in here?

a decent phone mixed with a healthy dose of Jow Forums contrarianism

best budget phone of 2018

Good hardware per dollar.
Good custom ROM support so chinkware is a moot point.

Xiaomi shills are abundant here. Those same shills are also indian so they LOVE all the indian custom roms.

Fuck bros do I get the Galaxy S8 64 gb Tmobile version for 455 after tax and unidays discount? Still feels a little bit pricey but really I don't know what else there is besides the Mi Mix 2 which is ~400 and no warranty.

on XDA there is a twrp for the tmobile version so I guess it can be rooted but I didn't see any roms for it besides 1 which is really fucking strange. does anyone know what the deal is? I dont wanna spend the extra 60 or whatever dollars for the unlocked version.

Where did you get it? I thought it was only released on flipkart or some other indian shit. Do they ship to the EU?

I'm from SEA and it's already here.

any shop shipping to the EU then?

Post your latest /spg/ purchases and what you think about them.
Xiaomi buyers excluded.

No I haven't. I've never rooted a phone before so I thought what do I have to lose.

Moto G5 Plus last year, coming from an S4
great, I love the performance and battery life
though the screen is mediocre, the software is still 7.0 despite being promised Oreo and a weird camera bug where it sometimes won't open at all. This is so bad I would expect that from an XDA rom but not from the official firmware

This fucking thing
>"camera-error - please restart the camera"

Attached: Screenshot_20180801-022016.png (1080x1920, 21K)

Oh wow, yeah definitely something you would expect from a custom rom instead of an official release.
Have they mentioned that bug at all? Maybe it's getting fixed in the next update or is the forums not mentioning that problem at all?

they say clearing the camera app data fixes it temporarily
but yeah only that, it comes back after a couple days
very strange

Is anything on sale right now other than the $369 XZ1C? Is refurbished a good idea? Woot has the s7 for $185 refurbished and that beats the g5 plus and the g6.

How's the performance? Thinking of buying one aswell.

Attached: Capture.png (1184x600, 278K)

Nokia 8 Sirocco, coming from a Lumia 950.
It's pretty alright. Android is annoying at times, sometimes get random ass UI lag for seemingly no reason and it's missing some things from Windows 10 Mobile. HMD's camera app is hot garbage, but gcam gives pretty good image quality.

Shut up nerd

Any reason that I should go for Redmi Note 5 over Redmi Note 4?
I'm buying it for my mom who currently owns an S6 Edge.

I have the 3gb version and I'm fairly ignorant about smartphones so...

How do I exactly measure my phone's performance?

It's better in literally every way if it's the SD636 version you're talking about.

So this one then?: amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-4-64GB/dp/B07D82MTZL
Is it really that comparable over this: amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Redmi-Unlocked-Global-Warranty/dp/B06Y199WWL

What's the best phone I can get for $200 lads? The Honor 7x seems pretty legit most things considered.

Somebody plaster Redmeme Note 5 to the OP in all caps.
Redmeme Note 5.

>So this one then?
Yes

I should've known that I'd get slapped with the Note 5 dick. I checked it out at the store and I just fucking hated how it looked. The damn screen pops out which I find absolutely disgusting.

It's basically the best hardware you can get for the price so taking Redmeme Note 5 dick up the ass doesn't seem so bad.
Especially with official Lineage builds available.

Sony will announce the XZ3 at IFA next month, just wait a little longer for a price cut

There are a couple of removable battery phones out there if you google, theyre just from companies only people who are into removable batteries have heard of
Closest to a flagship i found was some sort of asian variant of some samsung phone that came out this year

Best Verizon phone for the money right now? Refurb fine, need microSD and replaceable battery. My LG G5 started rebooting every few minutes 1 month after the warranty was over and I'm not sure a new battery will fix it.

For me it's the XZ1 Compact

Attached: SonyXperiaXZ1CompactReviewTI.jpg (680x453, 57K)

835 instead of 845, too small and old, cameras suck

Do I need a screenprotector for Redmi Note 5?
Or is the glass surface tough enough on its own to resist keychain scratch?

Attached: HTB17YWOyoR1BeNjy0Fmq6z0wVXaE.jpg (950x950, 152K)

835 is the better SoC.

Same performance per watt, superior battery life, lower price.

>835 is the better SoC.
"No".
Better peak perf == faster racing to idle.
Plus Adreno 630 is the way superior GPU.

Come on buddy at least tell me there's a viable competitor to this piece of shit coming out soon.

Between Redmeme note5 and Asus Max Pro, which is better? Lineage OS support on the meme is nice so I need a decision breaker on what Asus has to offer.
Been burned by Asus by that Intel series they made a few years back.

There is no racing to idle when you watch a youtube or some other video.

You are paying money to kill your battery life.
I'm saving money.

Get the xz1 it's cheaper and just as good

>There is no racing to idle when you watch a youtube or some other video.
Then you're using the media blocks, which are the same for 835 and 845.
Are you retarded, user-kun?

The media block doesn't support all video. The CPU if the fallback for that.
And you know... video games.

What you need to get is your SoC isn't perfect for every task.

> The media block doesn't support all video. The CPU if the fallback for that.
It supports everything besides Hi10p and AV1.
YT uses VP9, so...
>And you know... video games.
Where Adreno 630 absolutely kills it.
>What you need to get is your SoC isn't perfect for every task.
845 > 835 for every task imaginable.
It's not as big of an advantage as 835 > 821, but still...

It's going to be like this, same performance per watt.
But you will get 150 FPS and drain your battery with 4½ watts.
While I get 100 FPS and drain my battery with 3½ watts.

And you're paying extra for the privilege of killing your battery, and heating/throttling your smartphone faster.

m.es.aliexpress.com/item/32854848418.html?pid=808_0005_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32854848418&

Should I if I'm an Argentinian fag? Or will they kill me with import taxes anyway. Local resellers go for about 10000 AR$

Attached: IMG_20180731_175732.jpg (1080x1526, 210K)

>But you will get 150 FPS and drain your battery with 4½ watts.
No, Adreno 630 has higher perf/watt due to new uArch.
>And you're paying extra for the privilege of killing your battery
Actually, the opposite.
845 employs both better cores and better node (10LPP versus 10LPE, I think it's ~20% boost in overall perf/watt assuming HD/UHD libs).

>No, Adreno 630 has higher perf/watt due to new uArch.
Just 9% more.

S9+ at full load = 4.42 watts
S8 at full load = 3.45 watts

I got the new Galaxy phone since it was free with my contract (hadn't updated for 5 years) and have to admit, I was fucking expecting to despise it but the OLED pic on it is fucking amazing.

Some have claimed it's shit and palled obsolesce, etc.., but then when you ask them why apple is buying OLED materials from Samsung and LG. If you have the money (or, as in my case, if your company is paying) so with the Samsung galaxy s-9. You can't imagine the difference it makes to have a "True Black" color like you will with an OLED. I thought it was just a meme, but fuck me if the color isn't 100x better than 4k.

So sorry I didn't get an OLED TV when I could.

Which is still higher perf/watt.
Most graphically intensive games should support framerate capping anyway.

Get the Nilkin protector

Attached: HTB1mn9EdKOSBuNjy0Fdq6zDnVXaX.jpg (750x750, 127K)

Who was in the wrong here

Any reason why?

I constantly see them brag about gorrila glass and whatnot. Why is the extra layer needed?

Abrasive shit like sand still actively scratches glass, that's just the way things are.

>Use SuperSU to turn off root because I was having an issue
>Go to turn it back on
>"Root undetected"
Are you fucking joking? What kind of worthless shitty app is this? It can disable root but can't reenable it?

It's insignificant so that you're practically paying extra to kill your battery.

I'm not sure what happens when the game caps the frame rate. You would still use more wattage, I'm guessing?

But I saw them attempt to cut in the glass with a knife, and it didn't work.

Is sand even harder than the knife and the glass?

Also, my uni was the only "elite" school to stay with apple even through the 1990s when it was not cool and bugmen weren't a thing then. They bought lot of stock and made a shitload on their endowment, and I'd been buying apple since I was 17 since every computer in my uni had it (even before iPhones came out) and it was just natural to me.

for me to FINALLY dump apple took them donating to the ADL and SPLC. One thing I love about Korea is that they are so fucking corrupt, the CEO of Samsung was running the company from jail and no one cared. So I very much doubt they care about the ADL (though many Koreans do study the Talmud to try to learn about just how amoral Jews are when it comes to making shekels).

Also, if you look at it, if fucking apple is a literal trillion dollar company and they didn't have one person near the top to say: "hey lads, we better figure out how to get the materials to make this OLED shit, it looks like ti's going to be next big thing." No, the didn't.

So just imagine how Samsung and LG are fucking raping apple on the costs for that, and that cost has to get passed onto you. If they can't charge you directly since that will keep they from competing, they'll just make the rest of the product fucking shitty.

I would have preferred in my shitty old iPhone did not break, but if you are going total for the expensive new phone Jew, highly advice you to g for the Samsung Galaxy.

They are just justifying their purchases to each other.

>It's insignificant so that you're practically paying extra to kill your battery.
The opposite, you're either getting higher framerates or lower wattage.
>I'm not sure what happens when the game caps the frame rate. You would still use more wattage, I'm guessing?
>I have no idea what power gating is: the post
You do understand that modern SoCs won't have sizeable out-of-order cores without it?

Has LG actually released the v35 anywhere yet?

Check out the sustained/throttled mode.

It's the same shit. But you're paying more than me for the same shit.

Attached: 95164.png (650x800, 52K)

>Check out the sustained/throttled mode.
The you get the better power usage of 630.
>But you're paying more than me for the same shit.
I can't buy an SoC separately.
Plus QC flagship SoCs all have similar list prices.

>The you get the better power usage of 630.
Not according to the reviewer.

S9+ = 5.01 watt
S8 = 3.79 watt

Sounds like reality isn't working working as you thought it did.
You need to more doubt, more curiosity, more researching what's true and what's false.

>S9+ = 5.01 watt
>S8 = 3.79 watt
That's peak figures.
It's better at sustained but 630 always thermally throttles due to hotspots.
It's a bit *too* performant per mm^2 for its own good.
>You need to more doubt, more curiosity, more researching what's true and what's false.
I have way, way more of that than you could've ever had.

Crappel eternally BTFO

>That's peak figures.
That seems fair enough. You use a shit ton more battery, and get more peak performance that isn't meaningful in games.

But some people might not want to pay extra for something as meaningless as that.

>That seems fair enough. You use a shit ton more battery, and get more peak performance that isn't meaningful in games.
Or you cap the framerate and enjoy better perf/watt.
OP6 posts better sustained scores anyway due to better thermal design.
>But some people might not want to pay extra for something as meaningless as that.
You're buying a phone, not a SoC.

>Or you cap the framerate and enjoy better perf/watt.
I'm not sure all software works like this. It makes sense to cap them at the limit of the screen, but what if they aren't? Then you're just wasting money.

>You're buying a phone
And phones like S8 and ZX1 are cheaper nowadays.

>I'm not sure all software works like this.
The same way framerate capping works on PC.
>And phones like S8 and ZX1 are cheaper nowadays.
S8 usually nets you shitty Exynos 8895 and Sony phones are just scary ugly since Z2.

>The same way framerate capping works on PC.
No that's up to the individual software whether or not there is a capping.

>ugly
Good thing that's what your argument has been reduced to.

>No that's up to the individual software whether or not there is a capping.
It works the same, GPU automatically powergates the unused shaders/FF units if they're not used.
>Good thing that's what your argument has been reduced to.
Well, they're ugly.
You can get better looking SD835 hardware for the same price.