/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: OpenSwissKnife.png (3300x1646, 1.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues?utf8=✓&q=chrome
spyware.neocities.org/articles/chrome.html
discordapp.com/privacy)
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
github.com/addy-dclxvi/i3-starterpack
major.io/2010/12/14/mounting-a-raw-partition-file-made-with-dd-or-dd_rescue-in-linux/
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=188858
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: flube.gif (460x405, 98K)

hey guys, im a complete noob at Linux so pls no bully
I managed to delete the "Downloads" tab on my desktop(ubuntu, gnome) and the tab is still there, but i can't press it or do anything with it. (if you select Files, the "downloads" you see there)

Can anyone help a brother out?

Attached: Skjermbilde fra 2018-08-01 12-57-54.png (1600x900, 1.59M)

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Attached: 1511108100133.jpg (640x480, 92K)

Any alternative to compton?
Mpv and some electron-based programs just freeze and have to click on them to unfreeze then.

does a live use use more ram than the os installed

yes

Only if you tell it to.
With Arch you can tell it to load the whole system to ram in case you need to change the usb/dvd device for another one.

mkdir ~/Downloads
chmod 0700 ~/Downloads
And relog, that should help.

Getting this error with virtualbox,
xcb is installed. Reinstalling xcb and related packages and virtualbox its self did not resolve the problem.
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen,xcb

Am I the only one with a lot of broken packages after updating jsoncpp some time ago on void linux? Polybar was fixed, nomacs not yet. Still keeping the old version

I just found the absolute best magic command for "nightmode". it simply inverts colors:
$ xcalib -a -i
no more blinding white backgrounds burning your retinas.

you can thank me later

"file doesnt exist" :(

How can I change background color of qtchan to match evrerything else

Attached: black.png (3840x2160, 490K)

just installed KDE on mint but I don't have kate, konsole etc. how to install them?

apt install kate konsole ...

Attached: 1531139686700.gif (152x98, 444K)

I don't want to install dozens of of programs one by one

do you actually use dozens of programs?
install the ones you need, you can do it literally in a single command

How can I find a file system in file?
I've dumped eMMC from my WP7 (thank Microshaft for dropping support), but typical mount says, that codepage is missing.
I bet FS is FAT32 or NTFS. How can I find it in file and 'cut' it and mount, so I can transfer nudes easily, because MTP sucks.

And yeah, after that I'll try installing Gentoo on phone. No, really.

how do you encrypt a CD-R in loonix

You don't.

y not :'(

Lifetime windows user here ready to install linux; Is ElementaryOS a good choice?

live CD or look at reviews for elementary, antergos/manjaro, debian, openSUSE and see which one appeals to you more.
Ideally if you want to game, a rolling release is better since you'll have an up to date kernel, drivers and programs. If not, then anything will do. And you'll probably hop regardless.

Elementary is a distro you install on grandma's computer after discovering she has 32,768 wiruses on her dextop.

>what are dependencies hard coded
BOY i bet you havent looked at what depends on systemd have you?

Does it do that by limiting the user, or by having easy defaults? A seamless experience is not a negative to me.

I was just fuckin' with ya, it's very clean and slick looking, kinda reminiscent of Mac. Has its own little set of programs, kinda like KDE. I wouldn't use it for those exact reasons, but hey I'm not you.

Well, there's xcompmgr. I think compton was forked from this though.

If you think it's fat32 or ntfs, use -t option for mount. You might have to install ntfs3g to read ntfs on some distros.

So downloaded the latest version of Xubuntu, most experience I've had with linux is using Xubuntu 16 on a live usb. Worth the download? Is there any glaring problems with it that I might run into?

anyone know how to install chrome on void linux? according to its github its supposed to be there but it my machine doesnt find it even with nonfree and miltilib nonfree enabled. pls halp
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues?utf8=✓&q=chrome

Linux noob here.

I've been trying to make a script to run on shutdown/reboot (Ubuntu).

All the stuff i read so far seemed to say that putting my script in /etc/init.d/ with +x added, then symlinking to K99 entries in rc0.d and rc6.d would do the trick, but it doesn't.

I need this thing to run before shutdown commences so i tried using K00 and K01 too in case it's failing due to services being shut down that it relied on, but no dice.

Anyone have a reliable link to a how-to on this? Is the above even a good method anymore or should i be using Systemd?

I've been looking for 2+ hours now just for what i thought would be simple, pls help and no bully. ;(

I'm going to sleep but thanks in advance to any kind anons who reply.

Attached: R14kkDj.png (200x200, 22K)

just install chromium you melon.

Shut the fuck up.

but i need pepper flash and its not in the repos either

That horrible font, and the status bar, Why don't you set some transparency

Filtered.
No you don't.
Google Chrome collects the following non-anonymous informations (and more):

> · what you say
> · what you type
> · your hardware
> · your passwords
> · your search history

Sources:
> spyware.neocities.org/articles/chrome.html

I can suggest mint with cinnamon, it just werks, I'm in the same boat with you user

Install Ubuntu. Don't fall for Mint.

install debian. Don't fall for ubuntu.

yes, i need pepper-flash and the best way to have that is with google chrome. i really like void and i would like to keep it but not having chrome nor pepper-flash available for chromium is a deal breaker from me. sad because is fast. i guess ill try devuan now

Install Devuan. Don't fall for Debian.

Maybe windows is more your cup of tea.

Install ArchLinux
Fuck everything else

Don't be *that* guy.

Attached: 1533174319306.jpg (515x616, 67K)

i dont like windows

pepper flash and chromium work together
why can't you install it with chromium

Why would you willingly want to install spyware?

logical end to this is to install gentoo and use systemd

I interrupt "that guy" to tell him I'm vegan.

running into issues with libc++ when installing discord from the aur on arch

pls help Jow Forums

Discord explicitly confirms in its privacy policy (discordapp.com/privacy) that it collects the following information:

> · IP Address
> · Device UUID
> · User's e-mail address
> · All text messages
> · All images
> · All VOIP data (voice chat)
> · Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord

>Discord does not explictly confirm that it collects this information, but still collects it:

> · All programs that are running on your computer

Sources: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

this is why developers always treat you like shit when you ask a question about their software

Attached: 1507417009930.webm (640x346, 2.41M)

I had to manually build libc++ to get the fuckery to resolve with discord
Then just install discord per usual

Hm... Still doesn't mount.
alex@linux-5cfn:~> sudo fdisk -lu backup.bin
Disk backup.bin: 7,2 GiB, 7759462400 bytes, 15155200 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
backup.bin1 * 1 1000 1000 500K 4d QNX4.x
backup.bin2 1001 4000 3000 1,5M 46 unknown
backup.bin3 4001 304000 300000 146,5M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
backup.bin4 304001 15155199 14851199 7,1G 5 Extended
backup.bin5 304006 304133 128 64K ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
backup.bin6 304134 310277 6144 3M 58 unknown
backup.bin7 393216 399359 6144 3M 4a unknown
backup.bin8 399360 405503 6144 3M 4b unknown

It can't see FS I think.

7 gigs is clearly my storage, considering that rom is like 500 mb, and I've only 6.5 gig to use on phone
backup.bin9 524288 15273982 14749695 7G 48 unknown

Here is more. One more 7G
Both can't be mounted.

Can I find files in this? I've a nude, and I can do the search... But how?

because apparently it isnt in the repos

Cause I'm still setting this thing up, never really used linux/arch before this

Is anyone using pantheon from AUR?
How stable is it?

This will give you a hand:
>github.com/addy-dclxvi/i3-starterpack

Just substitute the install commands with your package manager of choice, pacman in your case.

Is a raspberry pi zero W going to be able to handle pihole? I have it set up on my rpi3 currently but I want to use it exclusively for x11 forwarding qemu because I don’t really have better things to do with my time.

Is NTFS the only filesystem that's reasonable to use for an external for maximum compatibility between Windows/Linux?

what most stable and compatible distro? is it ubuntu?

anyone try Artix?
Seems like a much easier way to use OpenRC on arch without having to manually migrate.

Overall? Maybe. But you won't really find many unstable distros. Even Arch and Void aren't really unstable. Most of it is user-error.

if anythings unstable it's gnome h'haa

probably debian

Compatible maybe (especially out of the box), but stable? No. There's many distros that are far more stable.

How do I enable middle mouse click to scroll?

Not just in a browser but for everything

How are Dell Latitude with Linux?

This isn't windows. Middle click is for pasting text selections.

What do you think of vim/i3?

essential

I am learning how to write shell scripts. What are some useful scripts that you use?

Is it possible to install kde 5.13 on mint 18?

yes

when I highlight youtube link, popup appears and asks if I want to download the audio

Is there any reason not to use GNU IceCat over Firefox ESR? I'm planning to install it today, and my only worry is that the importing/exporting won't be easy.

can you tell me how, senpai?

icecat is firefucks esr with botnet bits stripped out of it and privacy addons by default.

>This isn't windows
middle click scroll is a thing in inkscape, gimp, evince, etc.

together with ctrl+wheelup zoom it's a very popular way to navigate. not everyone who uses his operating system for things other than taking screenshots of his tiling wm is a windows user

If its not in the repos, download the tarball and compile it.

Imageboards file downloader.
Screenfetch clone.
Just think a bit.

Ubuntu 18.04, just updated from a perfectly working 16.04.

My Synaptics touchpad sometimes right clicks when I'm certain that I only pressed the left. Is there any way that I can pin down the case of this issue and fix it? My first priority is to figure out what wrong move I'm making with the touchpad that it's interoperating as a right-click.

That's an advantage, no?

I'm so glad i ditched urxvt
I love st (simple terminal)

same, nothing beats st

is there a gui fan controller for linux? everytime i play games (yes, i gayme on linux) my cpu fans go spastic loud.

yes that partition 9 is the one you want but who knows what type of filesystem it is! you could try providing the start block of the partition to mount and see if it can figure it out: major.io/2010/12/14/mounting-a-raw-partition-file-made-with-dd-or-dd_rescue-in-linux/
you again. i told you where to install pepperflash from the other day.
init.d is long dead, little frogposter. create a systemd service which runs before shutdown like this: bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=188858
xinput
xinput test [id]
there's a ton of extra settings on synaptics touchpads for filtering palm presses and using two finger taps as right click (which i would guess is your problem) etc. you can do it with either xinput (hard mode) or with an application from the main repo called something like synaptics-settings or synaptics-touchpad. probably just search for the term "synaptics"

Linux is a kernel.

Rude

Thank you user, will give it a try.

>install a meme distro because "gosh im so l33t"
>can't figure out the simplest fucking shit.
I will never fathom why people do this.

Attached: 1437958505958.png (620x670, 226K)

fuck up cunt or ill drop you at LAN.

i-is he hacking the moon??

I’m this user. Did my research and landed on Fedora, then spent another many hours getting my graphics drivers working lol. Feels good finally being free of the mess that is Windows. Most of my environment can be summed up in my .vimrc and my browser so the transition was otherwise seamless.

Is there a good android emulator for Linux? (Nox, Bluestacks kind of thing)

Attached: scandroidmonochrome.jpg (1200x1200, 435K)

docker noob here. Trying to get Eclipse Che to work, but no clue how to get it to connect to the docker daemon. Docker sucks. What do?