Previous thread: >>66945309

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat39.jpg (3968x2976, 3.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/ThinkPad-A485/p/22TP2TAA485?menu-id=A485
youtube.com/watch?v=yx7aYawEuKI
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Tablet-PC-Intel-Core-i5-2520m-2-5GHz-4gb-RAM-Laptop-CZ/323292039032?hash=item4b45b50778:g:Fh8AAOSwkjtbGT30&_sacat=0&_nkw=x220 tablet&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xx220 tablet.TRS0&LH_TitleDesc=0
vimuser.org/surgery/
geoff.greer.fm/2017/07/16/thinkpad-x62/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So what exactly is wrong with newer models?

Attached: 1530185347386.png (648x636, 701K)

A485 in the US fucking when?

You forgot the title
Start over again

I don't care anyone
i don't care if i go in debt or whatever
im gonna pay 11 dollars a month for that dell laptop

heck

Attached: ergh.png (460x535, 308K)

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/ThinkPad-A485/p/22TP2TAA485?menu-id=A485

Ryzen ThinkPad soon

thinkpads are the cargo shorts of laptops

oh look it's august already.

hoenstly i've been waiting for the A485 for this long but I'll just get maxed out T480s instead if that comes with a 30%+ off sale again. fuck I should have just bought a T480s when it was 35% off with 17% cashback.

Planning on buying RAM for my T420. It only has 4GB but it was only $50 when I bought it and works fine otherwise so I'm not complaining. Is there any particular issues I should be aware of when buying RAM or should any decent laptop RAM work fine?

Is the E585 shit?

So I get a Thinkpad x41 a while back, and I've been very satisfied with it for a while now. But since it's a bit older, I thought about replacing the HDD I got with it (~40GB) with maybe a SSD. Just to be on the safe side.

The problem is that I know not all disks are compatible with the X41, hence I thought about asking if anyone here knows or even can recommend some particular SSD (if neccesary HDD too) that work well?

Attached: 1458351486340.png (492x591, 60K)

RAM prices are fucked up until china can come in to save the day

Cat is disappointed at your not having a mouse.

i want to fug kyouko, she's made for anal
also pata ssds are pretty easy to find in aliexpress

youtube.com/watch?v=yx7aYawEuKI

look at his face
disgusting

They aren't thick enough. A proper laptop is at least an inch thick.

Nice toothy blowjobs

How much was the SKU you wanted? Cheapest one with low tier CPU, garbage screen/disk is like $860.

i got a t42 for free
im sure it could type documents fine, but could it handle the internet, specifically youtube? unfortunately the gpu is the only thing i cant upgrade.

also the mobo is fucked so i cant test it, so i need to ask here

none of them. I was hoping for a ryzen pro 7 and a WQHD screen, and for it come out before back-to-school deals started.

I would be fine with FHD if the panel wasn't absolutely crap

Finally bought my first thinkpad, a T530. i7 quad core, 16GB of RAM, 500GB HDD (going to put an SSD in it), 9 cell battery for $265 USD shipped to Canada.

Did I do good?

did it come with the FHD screen, that's what matters

how much should i pay for x220 tablet with
>i5 2520m
>8gb ram
>1366x768
>180gb ssd

Attached: tripcute.png (1419x757, 1.22M)

Yes yes, the yummy 1080p

not bad, i just hope you don't plan to commute with it though, it's a pain

installed Fedora on the X230t and i can't believe everything works out of the box.
Even stuff like the wacom digitizer works with pressure sensitivity too.
using your fingerprint to authenticate sudo requests to excellent

I do intend to, I'm not concerned. Brought my old 11 pound gaming laptop(Not including the charger) on a flight to the States, as well as a 5 pound laptop in the same bag. I should be able to handle the 6 or so pounds of the T530 without any issues

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the Thinkpad Helix, just need to know if it can keep open 20 tabs and libreOffice, anyone know if it can do that on the 1.8Ghz I5-3427U?

Attached: ShibaMobile.png (480x800, 888K)

Any t440s owners care to share their opinion on the laptop? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm debating between it and a similarly specced Latitude.

So I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro, but do I want the 13" or the 15"? I don't know what all this processor stuff is, so I should get the most expensive one, because it just works.

Why? They're easy to replace.

I'm waiting on my T540 to arrive (i7 4810MQ, 4GB of RAM, 256GB SSD). I'll add another 2GB of RAM, and if it has anything less than FHD I'll just upgrade straight to the 3k display.

I have a t440p, which is similar but thiccer. It's nice, although definitely on the heavy side.

Guy that bought the T530 here. I'd be completely comfortable with the replacement, but it wouldn't be worth the cost. Here in Canada I'd be looking at over $120 for the new panel shipped to my door.

How's the FHD screen quality? I'd like something bright and sharp.

Is there a specific day/week/month/time that any anons would recommend scanning the Lenovo US Outlet site for refurbished, modern chink pads? Some of the deals on here seem to be way too good to be true, and obviously I'm sure they sell out quickly, but just wanted to get some recommendations.
Also, is there any particular model Jow Forums recommends for fags who want to use it for some light/moderate gaymen in addition to running simple production software for work?

Attached: 1414059086705.jpg (540x787, 93K)

They're very hard to libreboot, and they're about half as fast as a regular X200.
LED and CCFL make a big difference, especially with the X200T.
If you want a tablet just got for the X220T.
I'm an americuck until I leave. Gotta figure out how to take my precious memepads and a Talos II with me though

Thinkpads are a meme

t. Dell latitude owner

what's your dishraggiest thinkpad?

>x61 tablet, $20
>2gb ram, no plan to upgrade
>320gb spinning rust, no plan to upgrade
>1024x768, ips (!), dim yellow ccfl, no plan for led backlight upgrade
>cracked screen bezel, patched with duct tape, no plan to replace
>broken latches, replaced with velcro patches to keep closed
>chink battery, the kind that sticks out 1" further than oem, split open in shipping, duct taped back together
>non-middleton bios, too lazy to update
>no pen. should i even bother to get one

current use case: looking like a hobo in public so people don't sit near me

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-01_19-45-29.png (1024x768, 200K)

Attached: sterling-puke.gif (500x300, 967K)

they look too modern

T480s looks fantastic though

Going to pick up a t440p for $310
good choice Jow Forums?

Wrong thread. Also don't buy Macs, they are shit

>taking the bait

T60, 1050p Screen with a decent CCFL, T7200, palmrest is taped together with duct tape since it utterly refuses to screw in.

Where do you guys buy your thinkpads?
Ebay? Cragislist?

Mine came with a HD+ (1600x900) TN screen that looked absolute dogshit. I bought a FHD IPS panel off Aliexpress and installed it myself. So I can't say anything about the quality of the official ones.

too expensive. i have a thinkpad 13 and i love it, but i also got a discount through my old job. with the specs i got it would've been around $800. i like the keyboard, but i've never used one of the older ones so i really have no comparison other than my old POS acer

lol are you me
>X61t, $40
>2gb ram, may bump up to 3gb since I have 2 2gb sticks in my nice X61t
>320gb 5400rpm spinner
>rare 1400x1050 SXGA+ IPS display, bubbles under glass on top and bottom though, decently bright
>top right corner of screen bezel doesn't say in, secured with red duct tape
>OEM latch fucked, replaced with "new" one from Hong Kong, actually works
>no battery, came with one but is being used in my nicer X61t that didn't come with one
>does have Middleton's BIOS
>pen missing right-click button and pocket clip so it will get stuck if you put it into its holder (requires palmrest removal to get out)

Initially I jumped on it because of the high resolution screen but I kinda regret it as nothing other than static webpages and 720p video can actually benefit from it. I use my much nicer condition X61t in 768p more often.

HALP

What is the best ThinkPad that's compatible for Windows 10?
I need a laptop for work and it has to run Windows 10.

If the panel isn't from AUO, and the keyboard isn't from LiteOn, then you fucked up.

...anything?
even my 11yo thinkpad runs windows 10

Seriously? So Windows still bothers to make their updates work with old ass Intel CPUs?

In that case, what's the best bang got my buck ThinkPad that I can easily get from a reliable refurbished source?

I see, thanks for the input. I'll see if I can check out a screen in person because other than that the t440s is really appealing.

Yes, is my ThinkPad running 10.
Just read the OP and pick the cheapest one.

Just curious, which wifi card are you using in it? My T61 has a 4965AGN which isn't officially supported after 7, so it will bluescreen in W10 quite often.

I'm using a Dell DW1510 i had lying around because it supports 5ghz, works out of the box with W10.

Probably $70 or less desu. Then just buy the ssd seperately. Used ssd or harddrives is a bit sketchy.
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Tablet-PC-Intel-Core-i5-2520m-2-5GHz-4gb-RAM-Laptop-CZ/323292039032?hash=item4b45b50778:g:Fh8AAOSwkjtbGT30&_sacat=0&_nkw=x220 tablet&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xx220 tablet.TRS0&LH_TitleDesc=0

>w541 on sunday
im hyped

What's the A275 like? Looking at a manufacturer refurb for $400 US.
>1080 IPS
>8GB RAM
>256GB PCIe SSD
>A10 9700B APU
I know it won't be as good as the Ryzen A285, but then again, that laptop won't have a removable battery and will have soldered RAM. A485 looks nice, but I prefer 12" form factor, and that laptop is probably going to be triple the price or more.

Too expensive is just about the only legitimate excuse for not getting one.

hp zbook 15 g2 or w541?

zbook
>4710mq
>16gb ram
>256gb ssd + 1tb hdd + dvd/rw
>k1100m 2gb w/1080p display + webcam
>fp sensor and smart card reader
>new 8 cell battery + 200w charger

w541
>4810mq
>16gb ram
>500gb ssd
>k1100m 2gb w/ 1080p display + webcam
>smart card reader
>new 9 cell battery, no charger

both are around $400. what do

What's the cheapest i7-8750H laptop that I can run Linux on?

The hp zbook listing seems like a more complete package, but I think it just depends on if you prefer using thinkpads or not.

What's supposed to be wrong with the T440s screen? Are people saying it's worse than other FHD IPS panels?

When I shopped for the screen for my T440p, it seemed there were 2 models of 14" eDP FHD IPS panel available that would work with it:
>An AUO one that everyone said was better, and costs more on its own
>An LG one that everyone said was worse, and is cheaper as a separate part
I think I saw something claiming Lenovo uses the two interchangeably.
I was careful to buy an AUO, but I bought from someone on Aliexpress who was apparently a scammer. I got a panel that says AUO on the sticker and works fine, but is apparently actually an LG panel -- explaining why his listing was cheaper than the other ones that guaranteed you would actually get an AUO. The panel itself looks beautiful displaying photos and video. It's maybe a little on the motion-blurry side, but neither model claimed a good pixel response time. It does have a slightly annoying quirk though: image retention when switching from a high contrast image to a low-contrast medium-gray shade. As expected, I couldn't find anyone complaining about this on the AUO panel, but once I found I had been duped, I found a few people mentioning it about the LG one.

Get an ide to msata adaptor and an msata ssd.

Personally I prefer the aesthetic of the thinkpads over the zbook, the elitebook were okay.

Don't bank on the smartcard reader as I've heard they're a bitch to get working

Will Lenovo ever release a thinkpad that doesn't have shitty screen?

X1C6 with HDR display or WQHD option on others are really good screens.

>So what exactly is wrong with newer models?
Jow Forums's poverty

>proper laptop is at least an inch thick.
Weirdest way to compensate I've ever heard.

Attached: Char_25546.jpg (210x240, 7K)

Is 14 inch big enough for college? I'll be programming/working on it like 8 housr a day.

If you want to make the most out of it put a T43 motherboard in it, but honestly even that would be slow.

I'm considering a T480 with WQHD screen or a T580 with 4k screen but it appears that the 15 inch ThinkPads all have a fucking numpad.

>T42
>2x 256MB RAM
>10GB IBM TravelStar
>1024x768
>Worn keyboard
>Small crack in the palmrest
>Windows 98 Second Edition

On the bright side it has a genuine 9 cell battery that holds at least a 90 minute charge.

>cheapest T420 keyboard on eBay is £30

Attached: 1478197491423.jpg (624x352, 26K)

>Libreboot
>now called fagboot
vimuser.org/surgery/ Why can'e we have nice things even in our little thinkpad clique?

>UPDATE: I’m in Thailand. As I write this, I’m laying in my hospital bed, in my room. It’s 22:13 in Thai time, 31st July, as I write this message. My surgery is in 10 hours!
How long will it take until she regrets it? Place your bets, I say 6 months or less.

Ordered a 'Silver grade refurb' (silver was the lowest) T540P with i7 2.8Mhz, 4GB of RAM and 250GB SSD (yes Mhz), paid £299
>Look up 2.8GHz i7
>It can only be a 4810MQ or 4900MQ; none of the dual cores are this low clocked
>T540P arrives
>It looks new; it can't be because it's not original packaging, but I can't see any scuffs or marks
>Boot it up and do the Windows 10 install bullshit like selecting my choice of telemetry poison
>Open up DXDiag
>What's this? 8GB of memory?
>Decide to download speccy to see if it's true and not just page file shenanigans
>Definitely has 8GB of memory
>Has the 4810MQ I expected
>Even has the 1080p panel

It's running a little warm. Was hitting 50-60 during updates. Seems to be idling around 40. Probably just needs new paste.

They look like black Macbook Pros.

IPS display on T60 is okay I think. But I'm not sure if I can judge it anymore after years of looking at shitty Thinkpad displays.

>trans woman
I always mix that up. If somebody is a trans woman does that mean that they are a man pretending to be a woman or a woman pretending to be a man? Now I suppose it's the former but I'll get it mixed up soon anyway.

What can I put into CardBus or ExpressCard/54 slots in T60? I tried searching for a (microSD) card reader but didn't find anything. I suppose I could look for a 3G modem. Are there any that don't stick out?

Attached: IMG_20180802_131836.jpg (3264x2448, 1.7M)

Does the T440p with i7 run way hotter than the i5 models?

Attached: s-l1600[1].jpg (1320x991, 179K)

What happens when all old models of Thinkpads die?

One of my biggest fears in life. I just don't know.

excuse me?

things like x62 happen
geoff.greer.fm/2017/07/16/thinkpad-x62/

He's right

>It's reporting anywhere from 7hrs to 11 hours battery life

I think I got really lucky

How is this a bad thing?

but in what way?

Looking for a new laptop 15.6 to 17.3, i'll use it for college (technical) so it needs to have dedicated gpu
i'd like it to have ssd+hdd, i need a minimum of 500GB
Budget 1000€ or 1200usd

I've been looking into acer aspires - is that the right way to go?

Look at the OP; do you see any mention of powerful graphical performance in the list of reasons to buy a Thinkpad?

I have 400$ to spend, i'm basically looking for the most performance for this price, upgradability would be great too. What model do you guys recommend?

T440p is the current king of price/performance.

Do you really not see the resemblance?

do you mean the minimalistic design that is implanted into many laptops in this current generation?
i don't think it's Apple's fault tbqh

Too bad we can't get one with a good keyboard