Will linux ever just werk?

Will linux ever just werk?

Attached: 1532747953765.jpg (1024x768, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How are HP elitebooks with linux? Are they compatible?

Debian werkz unless you choose to have bad hardware.

Will you ever make a meaningful thread?

GNU/Linux.

Linux is a kernel. It's most commonly used in the Android operating system which literally "just werks".

Nah. Too many autistics, not enough usability testing. So it will never have wide appeal, nor just werk with non-durdenstations out of the box.

every single fucking """"official"""" desktop environment
>in quotes bc everything is so fragmented nobody knows what's what no mo
is fucking shit. I tried Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro. On all 3 I couldn't be productive bc of the endless process of encountering a bug and having to google a fix, sketchy pajeet websites telling u to copy paste 20 commands on the terminal and it ends up not working at the end. And when it does, the program itself has bugs bc it was a shit port from windows.

>for example, java Eclipse IDE has problems to install on all 3 mentioned distros from their respective package managers. Have to hack up a pajeet fix on the terminal and when it finally installs, the program has UI glitches constantly. Went back to my Win10 botnet, at least there i can actually get some fucking work done because shit just fucking works.

That aside, every official DE looks like a budget phone UI like Android/iOS, except much less responsive and full of unnecessary customization options that just bloat everything up. Worst thing is the DEs are in such a shitty state by default that you are forced to go config shit. I wonder if there exists some windows95/XP-like DE to use on a non meme distro like Debian. But some anons here said its not a good idea to use unofficial DEs because updates can bork your OS. but even then there is no good native Java IDE like eclipse that works bugless, only option is terminal text editors and shit, who would put themselves through that inconvenience? For what benefit? No botnet? Not worth it.

Attached: 1532730072997.jpg (357x357, 17K)

>every single fucking """"official"""" desktop environment
>>in quotes bc everything is so fragmented nobody knows what's what no mo
>is fucking shit. I tried Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro. On all 3 I couldn't be productive bc of the endless process of encountering a bug and having to google a fix, sketchy pajeet websites telling u to copy paste 20 commands on the terminal and it ends up not working at the end. And when it does, the program itself has bugs bc it was a shit port from windows.
>
>>for example, java Eclipse IDE has problems to install on all 3 mentioned distros from their respective package managers. Have to hack up a pajeet fix on the terminal and when it finally installs, the program has UI glitches constantly. Went back to my Win10 botnet, at least there i can actually get some fucking work done because shit just fucking works.

This is all true and why I use FreeBSD instead. It does however require configuration.

OP, you caught me at an excellent time to answer this.
I went from the latest macOS, down to Mavericks, then hopped around GNU/Linux distros for the past month or so.
While some n00b friendly distros were pretty good, the Linux desktop is so far behind macOS/Windows that it feels unfair. I guess it isn't fair to begin with since GNU is trying to compete with people who get paid well.
The newer macOSes seem buggy to me, but holy hell Mavericks has got to be the most stable shit I've ever personally used
Operating system ergonomics are an interesting thing

Attached: 1524026817291.jpg (720x720, 72K)

What DE do you use on FreeBSD? Does it feel like a complete experience?

I wonder where all diehard linux faggots who post on screen fetch threads hide when a post like this shows up, with legit arguments.

I like MATE.

The operating system itself feels very much like a complete OS. FreeBSD maintains a complete operating system, i.e. the project delivers kernel, device drivers, userland utilities, and documentation, as compared to linux distros which is basically just a bunch of hobbyists who take the linux kernal and snap on whatever packages they find online and release it as a distro. Development of the OS is more centralized in a sense. It's a direct decendant of BSD and they follow unix philosophy instead of just hacking together whatever spaghetticode they can and releasing it like on linux. It doesn't install a DE by default though, you have to do that by yourself, It's easy though because things are designed sensibly unlike in linux where everything is haphazard. It is also the only OS i've ever used that comes with proper documentation freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ If you run into an issue it is most likely covered in the documentation, you don't have to copy paste obscure terminal commands from pajeet forums.

As you could probably figure out it does require some effort and getting your hands a bit dirty, but unlike linux there is a payoff, and unlike linux everything is sensibly designed.

It already does.
Just remove SystemDachau.

To add to that, apple OS X is actually built on top of FreeBSD, all Sony Playstations run an OS based on FreeBSD, Netflix servers are all FreeBSD. It is very much a complete and professional operating system, but it does require some configuration and effort to set up as a desktop. After it's set up it just works though, no fucking weird bug regression or the sound system fucking itself over or random freezes and hangups like on linux.

Linux is a kernel.

>Can't make java work
Java is shitty btw, even more those bloated idea

I have zero issues on Debian. I mostly only use terminal, ide and Firefox. If you need to rely so much on Linux desktop you clearly need windows or toyos

He's working a lot, releasing like a video a day while also advancing his OS. Of course, he is a colonel.

Lol yeah my installation has been working for many years without muh repare wizardz.

That is one good looking case

can we please stop these threads

>muh IDE
just use vim bro

we need more of these threads, linux kids are delusional

>but even then there is no good native Java IDE like eclipse that works bugless,
Use IntelliJ or something, nigger.

Mate is same sht as every other linux DE. looks like budget android. How can you stand having your workstation feel like a phone?

Pictured, Unix

It does if you use Kubuntu.

Debian just doesn't work period.

>Debian just doesn't work period.
The LITERALLY millions of webservers serving page after fucking page might argue differently.

>playing pacman in 2018
>a videogame fucking up your Linux installation
>a videogame fucking it up consistently but you still play it
>linux game library is so bad they have to play pacman

Fuck this image is hilarious

>I posted this picture once
>now a dildohead is reposting it every day
Ultra 20 is a shit x86 shitbox

I’ll bite
>Pacman
>Package manager

user- I...

Oh no...

Attached: 1526878715165.jpg (684x546, 76K)

ebin

>The LITERALLY millions of webservers serving page after fucking page might argue differently.
Yeah maybe after having to uninstall GNOME and fuck around with whatever httpd they use.

ubuntu
i run xubuntu, the only things i had to change were the DPI settings and installing TLP, i think vanilla ubuntu has better DPI settings by default though.

it works
sage goes in all fields
Op is a faggot
ban me please this imageboard is trash

Nobody bothers to reply because he didn't actually make any "legit" arguments. If anything, he proved he doesn't have any fucking clue what he's talking about.

I.T. Guy here, both the Elitebook and Probook lines are compatible with mainstream distros.
CentOS is the only exception, requiring the Everything ISO in order to get the iwlwifi package. Barring that little hiccup, it just works.

>he wants to put a gui on an os that's meant to be cli...

m8, wtf are you even doing here?

Attached: Some+memes+write+themselves+_d095635c2617cfe2cdbfbf9d9af7aab1.jpg (1000x792, 179K)

Noice anecdote.

>every single fucking """"official"""" desktop environment is fucking shit.

Aside from your shitty invective, got any akshull, proof?

Your Eclipse problem is false, just download the file from their website and install it yourself. I did 2 years of Java in uni on Mint with Eclipse.

Just use a rubber band if it's that hard

nigga thats all distros that don't ship out propitiatory software. iwlwifi is propitiatory. Any distro on this list does not ship it by default gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

based and redpilled

linux autists have NO counter

solaris looks fun but i cant help notice theyve got a separate calculator and watch. why?

Work on my machine.

I prefer using towel.

no, especially with the lennartification

Maybe true for older models but having all kind of issues with my 840 G5 on Ubuntu. Might give a try to Manjaro.

it's a scrapheap

Eso es por no leer los putos foros oficiales de las distribuciones. Si aprendes los conceptos basicos es muy facil resolver problemas.

That's for not reading the fucking official forums of the distributions. If you learn the basic concepts it is very easy to solve problems.

La documentacion en Lunix es basura y tu lo sabes.

>foros oficiales
Disfruta leer informacion que dejo de ser relevante hace 1 semana.

I didn't say I wanted one, in fact, I said GNOME had to be uninstalled. Obviously you're a Microcuck employee shilling Debian without ever using it.

Eclipse werks just fine on my Fedora install, as does XFCE. Two of the three distros you tried are basically identical bar their desktop environment so I don't know what you expected. Also I have literally no fucking clue what you even mean by "official" DEs. This isn't Wangblows, there's not central authority on what is and is not official.

*hugs*

>Obviously you're a Microcuck employee shilling Debian without ever using it.
Noice projection there Jerome.

Why TF would you put a DE/WM on a server that's meant to be headless.
>he doesn't know that x is basically a security liability

I like that you're trying to suggest that I'm the one who doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about tho... that's cute.

Now shut the fuck up and sit down, men are talking.

Attached: 4DC665D800000578-5903543-This_stunning_photograph_shows_a_full_moon_rising_over_an_ancien-a-32_15303 (962x722, 79K)

>IDE
Use vim + make retard. IDEs are usually bloated proprietary messes.
>DE not working
Have never had this problem. I've only had issues compiling old shit not in the repos.
>Eclipse
Again, on almost any sane DE it's piss easy to install. Almost all software is distributed 3 ways, via the repos + package manager, an installer file + package manager, or source code you have to compile. If you can't manage to figure out how to install packages on Linux you're unironically retarded.

Literally everything bad that happens to people inexperienced with Linux happens because they expect it to be a MacOS or Windows clone. It isn't. Stop treating it that way. Linux has it's own ecosystem that was created because people didn't like Windows or MacOS.

Depende de la distribución, por ejemplo Ubuntu tiene demasiada y por lo general son cualquier cosa, la documentación es muy completa, archivos readme, wikis, o foros oficiales, man, --help, la documentación en Sabayon Linux esta desactualizada pero la info sigue siendo vigente. Para todo problema siempre hay una solución fácil, salvo la compatibilidad del hardware. Pero bueno vivimos en un mundo justo e ideal...

*no vivimos

q4os is a debian based distro that ships TDE (kde3) with xp and win95 themes.
kde proper has had windows 7/vista aero style window decorations for a long time though most are deprecated. you can continue to use the old, official plastique style decorations which are nearly identical to xp.
cinnamon has a number of themes that imitate windows, from b00merang win10 transformation pack to cinnxp themes.
xfce also has a classic 95 theme for what its worth.

>thread about GNU/Linux
>posts an Ultra that looks like it's running Solaris+mwm
???

wtf i love systemd now

>Can't install a .deb
Bruh it's just dpkg -i "your package here".deb. Have you considered the possibility that you might be a retard?

Ubuntu is pretty much plug and play at this point for everything other than games and commercial software.

It's just your own fault, if you aren't using Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE or Gentoo. Use KDE or Xfce, all other DEs suck. Also, IDEs just werk on my machine. I bet the problem just exists in between the keyboard and chair, you fucking retarded shill.

I think he means just werk like a 90s unix workstation did.

mint just werx

idont get the hate on osx bash terminal is pretty pwfl

macOS is not built on top of FreeBSD, it just has a FreeBSD userland. It is mostly built on top of NeXTSTEP, the OS built by the company Apple acquired from Steve Jobs.

Haven't used Linux since the mandriva days...is it still a pain in the ass to install software on? By this I mean software NOT in a repository or app store, instead download from the internet...like normal people do. And if so can it be done without ever touching a terminal. Once again like normal people do.

If not then no it doesn't just werk.

>DE DE DE DE DE DE DE DE
Stop using a DE for one

its a hobbyist OS not a real one like windows

>"bad hardware"
Hahahahaa no. It just does not work without circlejerking on common configurations. Hence all the freakin Ubuntu-forks being so popular instead of Debian

La KYS

Do you enjoy telling obvious lies for fun?

>legit arguments
yeah you sure got us senpai eclipse on linux sure is a shitty port of the superior windows eclipse which is known for being the best java ide and not the most pajeet tier ide that people only use because their 50 year old boomer uni professor tells them to use it and they don't know any better

It's 4 am, but when I get up I'm installing that shit just to see if you're lying.

This
Except the wifi

This is a level of damage control I haven't seen in age, and he's still too much of a stupid retard to see that I was the one complaining about Debian installing GNOME, even before he was. Unless something has changed, when you have nothing selected that would indicate desktop/GNOME stuff, it just goes ahead and does that.

Attached: 1520844661651.png (800x800, 996K)

it does right now

yeah but use an arch distro. I've had issues with ubuntu derivatives so far.

>Unless something has changed, when you have nothing selected that would indicate desktop/GNOME stuff, it just goes ahead and does that.
It literally doesn't. You LITERALLY have to tick a box in order to install a wm or de.

I can see you're thick but this level of making yourself look like a fucking idiot is starting to get... frankly a bit cringy. Are you some sort of fuckedup masochist or something?

>he's never done minimal, server or netinstall

Attached: Install-Debian-9-Stretch-Choose-Softwares.png (800x600, 18K)

I honestly hope it never will.
Think of what the dumb normalfags invasion did to the internet.

even the wife just werx for my crap outa date wied laptop i was well impressed

that’s total bullshit though
linux is an absolute breeze compared to any old school sysv, even gentoo

ubuntu.com/

There you go OP. Try to be less of a fag next time.

I did that on mint when the one from the package manager didnt install. And I got the UI bug regardless. Eclipse Photon.

Wouldnt that defeat the whole point of loonix though? You nggers always brag about package manager being the best thing ever bc all software there is tested and just werks, but it's the complete opposite.

This might sound like a weird way to fix it but install an Oracle JDK instead of an open version.

Eclipse was on Neon when I was working with it so I can't really tell you much else.

Except for the fact I already said I unchecked all of those things. Nice try there 1 digit IQ.

Jesus. You can't even install debian without fucking it up.
And you're proud of this fact?

>the absolute state of summerfags in Jow Forums Ladies and gentlemen.

I guess I'm not too bothered with that kind of stuff. I mean windows looked like unprofessional shit all the way up to windows 10 and it didn't bother me all too much. You can theme your shit to look like OS X if you want to, elementary OS looks a lot like OS X, too bad it runs like shit.

Also I think it's android taking inspiration from linux DE's and not the other way around. You must be quite the brainlet or a child if you're bothered because you saw a similair-looking interface on a cheap phone.

idiot

>nggers
>>>/rddit/

not before your brain does.

Attached: anecdote.png (500x457, 125K)

>muh Linux
>show Solaris

What did OP mean by this?

Not really, this was commercial shit, everything was very well documented and worked in one proper way with easy ways to configure things. Not all around the playground with guides written by a bunch of people doing things several different ways.
You paid extra for that gear and software for it to just work, because time was money.