Game Development

Have anyone here worked at big game companies like rockstar,valve,naughty dog etc...? Is it really fun to work at as I imagining?

All of them requires strong knowledge of C/C++, specific shader programming languages, all graphic APIs, some degree at computer science and hell of a long experience at it (3-5 years). How can I learn all of that, I can barely find something when it comes to game development, except shitfest unity or unreal tutorials.

Attached: Rockstar_Games_Logo.svg.png (2000x1840, 100K)

Go to school.

>How can I learn all of that, I can barely find something when it comes to game development, except shitfest unity or unreal tutorials.

Check out handmade hero, it gets pretty hardcore though

bump

lol you really don't want to work at those places buddy

they treat you like slave labor

game development is one of the worst fields to get into, pays like shit and you are overworked to hell. most devs burnout quick and get a cushy corporate job or web dev job that pays better and has better hours.

develop games on your own time, dont bother with game mills.

GCC, C, and OpenGL.
It's what I use. It's what you will use if you are serious.

>Have anyone here worked at big game companies like rockstar,valve,naughty dog
>on 4kek
loma
just loma

Anyways, AFAIK it is hard as fuck and totally unpleasant.

>hell of a long experience at it (3-5 years)
lol

>Is it really fun to work at as I imagining?
God no. Everyone wants to work at big studios, so they can hire tons of people, pay them shit and overwork them, and then hire new people when they inevitably quit in a year.

Give up OP, you are not going to get in without some serious luck or expensive education and likely YEARS or even a decade of experience.

Those big shot studios are companies where thousands apply to a single entry level position because the opportunity is great, and the company knows that they can pick the cream of the crop. You think google will hire some kid out of community college when kids from Yale are applying?

Maybe try web dev or something like that? Pays better and less gatekeeping from HR.

i worked at one of the bigger companies and i can tell you: you dont want to do it. you will be one guy in a team of 200+ people, a nobody. you won't feel like you contributed much to the game as you are only going to work on a small part of the project. but still they expect you to work overtime and its very stressful.
its much more fun to work in small teams. for minor titles they may do assign you to smaller groups, but all in all its better to work at a smaller company.

gamedev is one of the risikiest dev markets, people are getting laid off more than employed and the pay isn't really better than webdev, devops or other related markets

HOWEVER, if you love something and really want to work in this industry, you should go for it without listening to any negative opinion

>needs some very good skills on various stuff
>needs experience to get employed
>there isn't a lot of job offers
>have to work a lot and be slave of the company
>have to meet insane dead lines
>have to program a game without being able to have a word on the gameplay, scenario, or whatever
>pay isn't any better than somewhere else

Why one would do that ? Why not get a dev job where you program some shit for a company, have good work hours, don't risk a burn out, don't need to fight for a place on the field...

I think if you really want to do some game devs, best thing to do is either doing it as a hobby, cause once you get paid for something it just removes the fun part of it, or eventually trying to get your own small indie game studio and try to release some new, interesting stuff.
Working for a big studio is basically copying some gameplay and releasing a half done game cause it have to be casual friendly

You aren't gonna be happy unless you launch your own product and work for yourself.

>handmade hero
oh shit, that's actually pretty neat
seems like a hell of a slog though

I know G is right below T, but you could at least double-check before posting.

>Have anyone here worked at big game companies like rockstar,valve,naughty dog etc...?
yes, it's ages ago now though, almost like another life
yes and no. And it really is like this most places. The pay is usually low, especially if you compare what is demanded from you skill wise compared to more ordinary coding/engineering jobs.

Working codintions sucks in the form that they always press you to work way to much overtime which will include weekends and so to always meet some deadline. Bosses and mid level bosses are always clueless and will always cause shit and in worst case cause shit to go under.

No I will never work in this industry again, I was really exploited back then. I put in so much for them, generated so much shekels and got nothing in return of it. They ofc know you burn for this and will exploit that while sit on their own god damn fat asses and do NOTHING. Really infuriating.

For your own sake, get a proper job instead. Another option is to start with some good friends by your self instead

this
>all in all its better to work at a smaller company.
often the case with other parts of the industry too though. Small tight teams are damn effective and then you have control of everything that goes on. The alternative is being an ant in an anthill, will bloated management that's always clueless and with this damn bureaucracy where nothing gets done. That's fucking frustrating. So many shitty coders, pajets and shit that's just in the way and always fuck shit up.

This was not gaming at all, but in one company I worked at, well my previous one. We were less than 20 at the office and still we destroyed ie this german company with over 2k people... yes not kidding. When they came to visit us(they ended up buying our shit because they sucked, too big, too bloated, too german)... they didn't believe it. They went
>this is all of you?
yes
>but only like these guys there are actually coding here?
yes
>... how?
well they don't spend all days in meetings, writing reports and know what they are doing here..

Just use rpgmaker

as a lead dev with cushy corp job who is learning rendering basics with vulkan in my down time, this.

I second Handmade Hero. It'll teach you how to build a game from the ground up. It's a huge undertaking though, so if you are going to do it, be prepared

This reads like an Indian alien trying to blend in

Making games from scratch is essentially glorified graphics programming.

And physics.
And tools.

C? really? you'll use c++ or maybe even c#

From what I understand all AAA game studios are now completely JOOD. Not only in the sense that they make their games into skinner boxes but also that they've been completely overrun with cultural Marxism. It's probably not a good time.

>think google will hire some kid out of community college
if you've made an interesting project that gained traction online, I assure you they will.

For the same level of skill it takes to be good at game dev, you could make $10,000 to $20,000 more doing other stuff. Infosec, data analysis, etc will make you more money.

Consume games, don't make them.

Games now tend to suck. Rehashes of what came before, "remakes" of classics that only end up shitting on what made the original game great to start with. Focus more on the "graphics" and kick the other parts of it, ie, story,plot,etc, to the curb. Or wind up in "limbo" so that all the excitement for it dies and upon release no one gives a shit anymore, for example Unreal Tournament, how long has this been in "pre alpha" status? 2 years, 3? By the time an actual release hits I'll be 40 or close to that age. I'm 35 right now.

Gross suggestion

Funny to think that science and technology had made leaps and bounds but bureaucracy is still as inefficient as ever.

games are so shit these days exactly because of what other posters in this thread mentioned

a game is literally art, and the more people you throw at its development the less meaning and quality you impart to the final product

like any art it becomes incredibly difficult and complex because you must match technical excellence with brilliant and meaningful creativity

I know this is the typical nostalfag thing to say, but man I miss those Quake 3 arena / cs 1.6 times

Attached: blTyjVM.jpg (800x600, 53K)

fuck, your post made me thing how much of a blunder Star Citizen is and is going to be.
That shit has been in development since 2012 and they even had an engine ready.

one question...

FUN? Forget Jow Forums did you ever even check gamenews? Many of them are freakin slaves abused by publishers, even if they are in a nice studio