/ltg/ - Dell Latitude general

Why Latitude?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Attached: Dell-Latitude-E6410.jpg (750x1000, 210K)

lol wtf a bootleg /tpg/ thread?

Based

>Lell Datatube

The e6440 is very appealing feature-wise. I wish there was a 12.5" one with socketted CPU though. Like the HP 2570p.

the guy at our car shop had like a dozen of the model in OP pic. he swore by them because they were so versatile. he had everything from XP to 10 on various machines (because different diagnostic software play better with some versions of Windows) and he liked the amount of ports (parallel, serial) for access to custom hardware diagnostic modules.
yeah magnesium laptop cases are pretty solid too

oh wait his was an e5500 I think. very similar case

I am old thinkpad fag.
I need change in my life.
Give me the closest thing to thinkpad T420 with high res. Also if possible libre or core boot compatible.

>1366x768
maximum productivity

I switched my T440p out for a Dell Latitude 5495 and I couldn't be happier!
Thanks /ltg/!

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-01_18-30-01.png (1920x1080, 416K)

congratulations! thickbads are cancer

Dell Latitude E6420

is there an x220/x230 comparison?

Latitudes are shit but do feel nice, at least any in the last 4 years of models from my experience

>Dell Latitude
I have 2 in the mail

e4300 and e6400

I already have all the parts to fix up the e4300
i personally like that pc more

what is new/different with the e6410?

its because of the screens almost all of the dells i work on go crappy too fast
even hps are not this shit with connectors and what going bad and why does the led go bad all the time

buddy just gave me his old Toshiba Satellite. Windows was fucked and couldn't boot up. Rescued his files with a parted magic disc, then wiped it and installed my preferred autism (Xubuntu.) It's a dual core at 2.4 GHz and 4 GB RAM, and is now very speedy. It also has a nifty touch screen which is (occasionally) nice to scroll through web pages with. Overall the laptop is sort of fuckhuge and heavy, and only gets like 3 hours battery life. Wish I had a dope netbook or something instead.

Attached: laptop.jpg (4032x3024, 3.24M)

They are cheaper used because they haven't been memed to death like Thinkpads. No whitelist shit either.

E6440 > T440p. Has everything the thinkpad has plus an expresscard slot and the aforementioned lack of whitelist, for cheaper.

>whitelist
what is this whitelist you speak of?

>tfw the e6410 aesthetic is dead

Attached: 2017-07-26 14.18.08.jpg (4032x3024, 1.95M)

>dell latitude
I see what you did there

The thing in the BIOS where it rejects wifi cards that aren't on its list.

I had a E6400. It was slow, yet very comfy. I prefer it to ThinkPad's with similar specs. The screen was alright.

I still have an E6400, with a ~2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo if I remember right. It's still good enough to do some things, but I still use my T440p most of the time.

>/ltg/ - Lell Tatitude General

Latitudes are the shit. I've got an E5420 still kicking, with a SSD and a memory upgrade. Perfect linux compatibility, durable, easily portable, it's the shit.

>look up 6440
>1366x768
what the fuck, even my crap x201 has more real estate

is there an equivalent model in terms of price/availability with a 1080 screen so it's usable?

>x201
>crap
fuck off.

compared to the generic toshiba business models we're forced to use at work with full hd screens? yeah, it's cramped as fuck

keyboard is nice though

>latitude
>not precision
Shit thread, fuck off

Attached: 1523991668105.gif (288x389, 1.91M)

fpbp

toasting from my almost-maxed-out E6520, just need to drop an i7 extreme in it. 1080p screen upgrade is max comfy

GOt the choice between X220 and E4310.

The battery lifespan was really dumpster fire, I take the X220 instead

Based
Anyone else rocking an m6400?

Everything with a 768p screen is automatically a piece of shit

hi jeremy :)

Muh x220

My first was a d630, was a hand me down from my dad, manufactured like 2003. Posting from pic related.

Attached: 2018-08-02-010717_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 158K)

I've been thinking about replacing my desktop with a precision. Nothing will ever truly replace a real desktop but I move frequently and I'm tired of always moving my desktop. Plus, I've been drifting away from "muh games" these days so I don't really need a full desktop.

/thread

What are the dell latitudes similar to the thinkpad t420 and t430? In other words, which ones are generally considered the best value latitudes?

My E6400 is 1280x800. Not good but at least it's 16:10. It's also one of those crappy TN panels with bad blacks, bad contrast, bad viewing angle, and washed out color.

I assume if I obtained a LVDS 14" panel at 1920x1200 or similar, it would work fine, but I don't really care that much because it's a tinker laptop, and when I use it it's primarily for its less common ports like ExpressCard and eSATAp.

Dell are very uncommon in Russia, so they cost a lot more than ThinkBlyats.
>t. $20 14.1" 4:3 T61 user

nice turtle fren

I have an e5510, its kind of comfy and feels solid.

E5520s/30s and beyond are fucking trash.

Is there a wiki for these, like the ThinkWiki? If not, someone should make one. Same for HP Elitebooks.

BASED and REDPILLED

Is this a parody of the thinkpad thread?

God, the e6410 is so damn beautiful.

How's a Latitude 5590 if I'm looking for a new one?

Problem with Toshiba is that they're a bitch to take apart.

This is just a thread for the kind of people who think that the moon landing was faked at a heavy metal music venue in Guatemala

Attached: 1465323460967.gif (269x203, 1.81M)

>when you're too autistic to use the popular autism laptop

So what's the best Dell to replace Thinkpad X series? I'm interested in nice IPS panel, great battery life and things not being soldered. I have an X230 and I don't want to replace it with anything equal, it should be better in every aspect.

Got a Latitude E6520 for uni four years ago, still running fine. Windows got slow at some point but after installing GNU/Linux it's been running smooth as butter. Best purchase I've ever made. Only con is the 768p screen really.

Attached: Latitude E6520.jpg (687x517, 63K)

If keyboard build matters, you're better off sticking to your x230, thinkpads are also better quality, but Dell business-grade laptops have a better design.

E5250 maybe?

do tortoises make good pets? I want one

Attached: 1512847523173.jpg (622x622, 39K)

Can you post a few more pics of turtlebro?

based af
Tfw 846 days until Avatar 2

1080p screen is 75 bucks, I did it to mine

you'll need the special 1080p cable I have all the part numbers if you're interested. They are hilariously upgradeable, mine even has the backlit keyboard and i7 chip

Your forgot
>No autistic cult following

>E6410
Hey that's me!

Attached: out.jpg (808x1077, 343K)

Sure I'm interested. Prices in Finland seem to be around 130€ at the cheapest though.

I got a spare i7 3632QM laying around, what's a good latitude I can put it in with a good screen?

Just a heads up for any IT shops using Dell. We just started deploying some 7490s and found out that Dell now is preventing legacy boot on internal devices. Internal storage is now required to use uefi or it won't boot. External USB and onboard NIC can still legacy boot for imaging.

my e6430 is indestructable
i had an i7 3612qm in it breifly (pulled from liquid damaged inspiron 14r) and SSD + caddy but went on to use those in something else

just werks

not sure why its a housefire these days, fan and good paste applied, maybe heatsink is fucked but who cares

Attached: Capture.png (482x475, 52K)

least you wont feel embarrassed taking this outta the house, unlike cumstained thinkbads

your board is going to die any moment and your hinges will fuck themselves also

t. work in repair shop and have piles of these

latitude a best

Attached: IMG_2098.jpg (3024x4032, 2.06M)

D630 came out in 2008 or something.
I still use mine that I got in 09. Recently bought a diagnostic kit for my car, and they by default ship with a pre-installed os and software on a hard drive for a D630. I was like, hey I have one of those :3

I have four D620s. What should I do with them?

>ivy bridge
>no more soldered ihs
DELID THIS

Laptops are generally direct die cooled anyway, aren't they?

Thinking of buying an E7450 or 7440 for the 1080p IPS screen
Meme or should I go for it? I would be installing either arch or Debian

sexy desu

tortoise a best

pls no

Attached: a3.jpg (960x720, 80K)

Attached: 10.jpg (2048x2048, 523K)

had him for 9 years so far. he's a russian tortois and probably 12 or 13yrs old.

Attached: a2.jpg (960x720, 89K)

Still got one of those in a box somewhere, also a T60. Feels good to have some reliable backup devices in case the three others (more powerful, less durable) fail.

>No autistic cult following
(and that's a good thing)

Introduced in 2007 and made into 2008. It's the same hardware as the StinkPad T61

Core 2 Duo T7200s are dirt cheap, so you can upgrade to that if they don't already have it.

Mine's a T61, not a T60. 4:3 14.1" ones are really rare.

>Dell Latitude 5495
they arent even out yet

i used to have an inspiron and it made me hate dell forever

are inspirons made out of complete plastic too?

meant to say latitudes on that last line

E6520 has a Magnesium alloy chassis at least. I'm pretty sure most of the others have as well.

tendency to overheat very easily

Inspirons have always been cheaper than Latitudes. From about 2008 onwards the Inspirons got much worse and the gap really widened

Toshibas are the Nissan of laptops.

poorfag with e6430 here
serves me well enough, mine doesn't have a clit though
need to put an ssd in it

What's the equivalent for a T420?

hey jeremy, do u love me? :^)

e6420

>Excellent keyboards
They're mediocre mate and the trackpoint feels like shit

Racewars breh!

Whoops. Good eye though, creeps.
Yes.

Why is it on my desk then?

E5430 secondary here. Fell in love with Latitudes in uni because they're so easy to work on, damn neat bulletproof, and generally performed better than anything else on the market at the time. Nothing will beat the aesthetic of the E6400/E6410, or the laid back comfy of the D630.