Wait for 9th gen intel cpus are just get a 2700x ?

wait for 9th gen intel cpus are just get a 2700x ?

Attached: intel-core-i7-9700k.jpg (750x400, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/umIHC
tomshardware.com/news/intel-me-new-firmware-bugs,37492.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wait for ryzen 3 if you gonna wait for memetel

too long to wait.

2700x is well worth it

that rbg prism cooler is pretty neat.

fuck off

what ?

are get 2700

Intel is shit, someone post the image of their performance progression between each generation.

Core i9 will be ludicrously expensive.
Core i7 will have no hyperthreading.
Maximum clock speeds are not increasing.
The 8700K is the best option if you want a "reasonably" priced high clock speed with great multi-threaded performance.
The 2700X is the best for all-out multithreaded performance at a reasonable price.
The 2700 is fine, but not really worth it, unless you want 8 cores with lower power consumption than the 2700X.

I'm going to build a new system soon (within the next 3 months) Should I get a 2700x or an i7 8700k? I plan to use this new machine for at least 5 years. Which would be the most "future proofed"? I also like gaymen.

2700X

9700K is gonna be garbage without SMT, if you really want to wait for intel, wait for the inevitable i9-9900K 8c/16t.

What's it going to be used for?
They're both very good chips, and they each have their own advantages, and relative disadvantages.

low intensity work (excel, word etc) and high-end gaymen. I've got a 1080ti to complement it.

Unless you're playing gaymen at high refresh rates, 2700X. It has much less security holes and will lag by about 10-15 FPS behind the 8700K if you're CPU bottlenecked. Keep in mind that those tests are done with no background applications so the additional threads on the Ryzen will help out.
As game developers hopefully begin to utilize more threads, the 2700X will be really nice.

8700K will probably be a better choice. Some games, especially RTS and MMO are very single thread heavy, the higher clock speed is noticeable even at low framerates. My 1700X gets ~28 fps in worst case situations in ESO, whereas an 8700K would get ~32-35 in the same situations, which is a huge difference.

>10-15 FPS
More like 10-20%, because it's not a flat FPS difference.

What about upgrades? Is Ryzen 3 going to use the same socket as Ryzen 2?

If it's released in 2020, then yes.

That kinda sucks, because I like the idea of Ryzen and wanted to support AMD. Maybe I'll take the 10-20% performance hit anyway... I've got some thinking to do.

Would the 2700x have better support/performance under linux?

By no means is either choice a bad decision.
I will say that having 8 cores is extremely liberating when running Windows, because it means that you don't have to care about what's running in the background, you always have the CPU overhead for any extra workload. I never get slowed down, even with firefox eating two whole cores, and Antimalware service doing whatever the fuck it thinks is a good idea.

>I will say that having 8 cores is extremely liberating when running Windows, because it means that you don't have to care about what's running in the background,
I do tend to run all sorts of shit in the background and alt-tab between the game and other stuff.

If you tune subtimings for both Intel and AMD there's 5% difference even in CPU bound situations.

just get ryen

Then Ryzen is obviously superior, the benchmarks are done when absolutely nothing is open and running in the background

Not necessarily. It's very hard to judge. If it was a quad core we were comparing, sure, but 6 cores changes a lot.
That said, 8 cores is more "future proof" from a multithreaded future standpoint.

Quad cores are already a bottleneck in games even without programs running in the background.

7nm. Wait.

install gentoo

yea choose 9700K if you want non hyperthreaded i7 in 2018

Wait for ryzen 3

I just went 2700x, from a 3570k

Only thing that could be a pain in the ass is trying to find decent enough RAM for a good price.

>buying AMDshit
>ever
You get what you pay for. The i9 will be a little more expensive, but wipe the floor with AMD trash as usual. Even the 8700K destroys the 2700X in almost every desktop workload.

Wait for 14nm+++++ goy^Wguys

Get 2700, uses 30% less power but is only up to 10% slower. Although, for maximum performance you should buy 2700X.

>Intel ME vulnerable to HTTP exploit, allows arbitrary code execution

>Researchers found several ME bugs last year, and now we have two more. The first one, CVE-2018-3627, is a logic bug that may allow execution of arbitrary code on Intel-based machines. According to the Russian security company Positive Technologies, which found a similar bug in Intel ME last year, the new one is more easily exploitable, making it even more dangerous. An attacker only needs local access on a machine to be able to exploit the Intel ME.
>Positive Technologies said that CVE-2018-3628, the second bug revealed by Intel, is much worse. The vulnerability enables a “full-blown remote code execution in the AMT process of the Management Engine.” Furthermore, unlike CVE-2017-5712, which PT discovered last year, an attacker wouldn’t even need an AMT administrator account.

>TL:DR if your Intel system is on the same subnet as the attacker they can execute arbitrary code on your system at levels more privileged than ring-1.

>archive.fo/umIHC
>tomshardware.com/news/intel-me-new-firmware-bugs,37492.html

10nm is just around the corner*.

*the corner is on the opposite side of the continent

>2018
>intlel

>More like 10-20%,
It's not flat percentage. The higher refresh rate the higher difference between 8700k and 2700x. There is next to no difference on 60fps.

Wait for Ryzen 3700x

Intel is basically irrelevant at this point.