How large should swap files be nowadays? Do I need one at all if I have 16 GiB of RAM?

How large should swap files be nowadays? Do I need one at all if I have 16 GiB of RAM?

Attached: ram-500x500.jpg (500x262, 27K)

Hibernation (suspend-to-disk) needs one, and one that's at least close to the size of main memory. Other than that, nah, not really.

Probably, 16GiB is both a lot and not that much depending on what your using.

What are you using?
post free -h

>How large should swap files be nowadays?
su -
swapoff -a

> Do I need one at all if I have 16 GiB of RAM?
Yes what if you have 15.9 GiB of pictures of RAM loaded into GIMP and then you need to load another 0.10001 GiB of pictures of RAM? Can't do it and your operating system will crash. You need a swap file.

swap is a safety net in an emergency where you do go over ram.
You're not going to be "using" swap in normal situations but a bit of cushion is nice to have instead of just crashing at overflow.

This. Plus the OS will stash stuff for faster load times and shit if it has a swap file. OS won't do this in RAM. This answer is of course related to a modern Windows 7 8 10 OS. Users of meme open source OSes need to swap file too though to fill up with bugs, ram leaks and shit so still good to have.

Sure you are; memory gets paged out all the time, if it's memory not being used it can get thrown on disk for the time being

>he doesn't have a whole TB disk dedicated to swap

Big gæy

swap is useless outside of special circumstances where the user needs extra memory and can be sure that disk i/o is not a bottleneck

What if my storage is faster than my RAM? Then I won't need RAM at all. Just run everything from swap.

i have 32 gigs ram on a desktop, i dont even bother with a swap partition anymore,

i figure if a linux distro still demands i make a swap partition then i will find another distro that can live without swap,

Teach me your ways, user

I got 16G of memory and 17G of /swap for hibernation which I actually never use since putting it to sleep and waking is quicker

I have 32gb of ram, Windows thinks I should have 32768mb or pagefile space, with a minimum of 4983mb.

I just let it have 32768mb on another drive that has space.

You should get a better OS.

>all the time
not unless I set vm.swappiness=0

just check how much you used, you may have never hit the page file with 16gb+ ram

cmd
wmic pagefile list full

Reminder that you should set a fixed size (same minimum-maximum) so you don't run into fragmentation, if you have a crazy amount of ram just set 2048mb and forget about it.

sadly there's no such thing

Every OS is better than Windows.

32 GB

In what universe would he need 48 GB total of ram? The "swap 2x the ram" is an antiquated rule for when memory was not nearly as plentiful.

Reminder to encrypt your swap, you faggots.