Opus bitrates

At what bitrate do you encode Opus audio? I use 32 kbps for audiobooks and 96 kbps for music.

Attached: opus logo.png (2232x1269, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oQhdXFofsz4
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus
dir.xiph.org/by_format/Opus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

16-32k for voice.
128k for audio

Do you hear the artifacts at 16k?

For voice only, even extremely low bitrates sounds acceptable.

320kbps for 6 channel.

>6 channel
That's pretty cool. Are you encoding concert recordings?

Possibly re-encoding 5.1 audio of blu-ray rips?

i think 32 is good for stereo and 16 for mono
wouln't go lower

but meh mp3

why rip at all? why not just copy those? it's not that much more data and you'd have original sound

32KBit/s for everything, as my mobile carrier throttles at about 32KBit/s.
You're welcome.

aotuv Vorbis @ q3, because its decoder is 2x faster than opus.

The *de*coder? Why does that matter more than size to you?

the bluetooth protocol lacks support for opus and re-encodes your music into it's own codec. this renders it almost completely pointless for my personal use

Could still have you some storage space.

all my music is in wavpack. i never keep anything that isn't lossless

64 kbps for my whole library to move it on my phone. It was a mistake, because with this huge a sample I find a lot of artifacts that I didn't catch on testing of "difficult" songs. Probably 96 is the minimum for music.

q3 is ~112kb/s only and quality is pretty much like opus 96.

>opus
Why can't I play this on android?

WavPack is god-tier, but since you mentioned Bluetooth I assumed you were talking about mobile. Or do you use WavPack in hybrid mode and only carry the the lossy files with you?

I am still genuinely curious about why the decoding speed matters to that user.

battery life

Oops.
I dropped my Magnum Condom which I use for my Magnum Opus.

Attached: 2 - rA1XIZr.png (201x278, 48K)

i was talking about using opus on mobile. more specifically playing music in my car through the bluetooth system.

sadly the bluetooth protocol only supports aac, mp3 & flac. everything else gets re-encoded. normally i just transcode to flac, so there's no quality loss, but it would be cool be be able to carry my whole collection with me.

>copying PCM/DTS/TrueHD
>not that much more data

what about AC3
it's usually 448k
>PCM/DTS/TrueHD
how much are those?

youtube.com/watch?v=oQhdXFofsz4

DTS is just 768

>buy expensive speakers
>play crappy sound

which makes a 90 min audio about 500 megs

128 for everything.

AIMP can.
Foobar can too

aptx is lossless

10-24kpbs for audiobooks
24kbps is *nearly* transparent

I use HEv2 AAC for music
fdkaac "$1" --profile 29 --afterburner 1 --bitrate-mode 1

This gets me remarkably good (~128CBR MP3) music at just 32kbps.

I keep all the flacs of course. This is just so I can put it on my phone or car

>This gets me remarkably good (~128CBR MP3) music at just 32kbps.
LOL
Maximum like 88kbps MP3 which is very shitty.

Attached: 6287905087f74786ed03b48e00c48db6.png (933x763, 62K)

>32 kbps for audiobooks and 96 kbps for music

Attached: 1526156364285.jpg (271x359, 24K)

128k for music just to be sure

Wow, how is USAC that good?

What? USAC (xHE-AAC) is only 8kbps improvement over HE-AAC.

Yes but it must have a .ogg extension.
Opus is stored in a ogg container by default but uses .opus as an extension for some reason.

Attached: 1532713240775.jpg (734x966, 71K)

According to Asunder, most people use 160.

Attached: CopyQ.wZ8125.png (958x748, 114K)

I often use 160 just to be careful, but I know it isn't really necessary.

>48khz

Just fucking lol

Attached: 1530904630398.gif (500x281, 875K)

XD epic

first of all
44.1khz is all you need
secondly
dithering from 48khz to 44.1khz is inherent in opus decoders and is IN NO WAY audibly perceptible and practically imperceptible under a microscope as well
dummy lol

Wrong because timing errors

if you're editing video with audio that has multiple different sample rates you should maybe resample the audio first

510 kbps

music 64kbps vbr
audiobooks I leave them untouched because they're already lossy when I download them from audible

>96 kbps for music

Lmao

>uses .opus as an extension for some reason
Probably because people now expect .ogg files to contain Vorbis.

Most of Jow Forums is too poor to afford an external HDD because they fell for the CS meme. They're stuck on their decade old Thinkpad's 100GB drive therefore they need their files sizes to be as small as possible. It's why you have people obsessed with meme shit like Opus and Webp despite the fact that 99% of pirates still use mp3 or occasionally mp4.

With my cheap earbuds I can't tell the difference between 320 mp3 and 96 opus, so I see no reason to take up more space on my phone.

>MOAR BITRAET = BATTAR QUALATY
>not understanding differences between codecs
>wasting space

Attached: 1518480080194.png (817x891, 27K)

96k is ok for music but I think 128k should be used so that you're sure you got the most quality out of it at a reasonable filesize.

LoL
I bet having those terabytes of borderline illegal animu shit must really aid in getting your dick wet err'day amirite?xD

Yeah, 64 is too low, but 96kbps gets some artifacts too in some songs, it's weird
128kbps is perfect though

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus seems to agree.

Attached: wiki.png (1109x763, 63K)

Exactly. Opus is still a work in progress. The 1.3 version is due out by the end of the year and that's mostly for low bitrate stuff and nobody knows when they will focus on music again since the priority is making Opus work even better for commercial VOIP products and WebRTC under less than ideal conditions.

Music is just not something that Opus is fully optimized for yet, despite how much an improvement it already is over mp3.

Yeah, but as long as you have archival lossless you can always re-encode later and do 128kbps or 160kbps Opus now, which is much better than MP3 at the same bitrate.

Only reason to use MP3 is compatibility.

>192 kbps VBR

you'll never suffer from killer samples or audiophile placebo when you just use lots of bitrate

People will be encoding in Opus over and over because of the new versions that come out every year so they should just use mp3 v0 until Opus development slows down.

>use trash apps like a good goy
No thanks. I'd rather rename .opus to .ogg my entire life

opus works out of the box with lineageos' stock music player as well as with musicplayergo (i havent tested others). both are free software.

I still haven't updated to LOS 15 and 14 doesn't support opus natively.

> play crappy sound
No, we're talking about encoding to Opus, not some other shitty codec.

isn't mp3 free now?

VLC

>listening to music

Who cares until Jow Forums supports it. It's dead along with VP9.

Is there any downside to using VBR?

What's the delay, anyway?

vorbis runs fine
cool I didn't know you could codec on opus and play it as an .ogg. gonna try this to reduce my bitrate to 128KBps from 160KBps

Lol wat? I'm on LOS 14 and have no problems with opus using those two players i mentioned.

192k VBR for music
48 kbps VBR for spoken word

Using VBR on opus is pretty much de-facto user.

Made a script for converting my library of flacs to opus 128k (i'd rather have opuses on my phone than flacs). It seems its gonna take a while though to convert them all.

What does that have to do with anything?

Attached: Opus.png (655x365, 10K)

Nobody has FLAC on their phone. Besides the space savings, FLAC is wasted on a phone's audio hardware and likely choice of headphones.

no

dir.xiph.org/by_format/Opus

Can Jow Forums play these live Opus streams in their Android browser? If not, your phone is dogshit.

If you can't play these live Opus streams in your Android browser, you need an app like VLC or Transistor to play them.

>Besides the space savings, FLAC is wasted on a phone's audio hardware and likely choice of headphones.
Exactly.

>Nobody has FLAC on their phone.
That's where you're wrong kiddo. My friend has flacs on their phone. I couldn't get a proper reason for it out of them though, only the "but muh lossless" argument.

Some phones produce the same quality as your memeDACs.
So no

>~100bucko xiaomeme can play it
aplels and smegmasungs btfo eternal

Which Xiaomeme and which browser?

Redmi 4a, using chrome

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-03-21-14-43-529_com.android.chrome.png (720x1280, 110K)

They play just fine on my s8+ too you chinkshill

Stock Galaxy S5 here, can play those fine too

Does it really matter what smartphone you're using though?
A browser can software decode them right?

Works on my xiomeme rn4 + firefox.

Prove Opus works by posting your best low bitate music file, Jow Forums

Not on fdroid

Well, it doesn't work on galaxy s5

>If not, your phone is dogshit.
Or the browser is shit. Fennec plays it fine even though my phone doesn't support opus.

>Not on fdroid
it's on their website

Lol

Anything other than VBR can produce audible artifacts. Use VBR unless your specific situation calls for anything else.

>>it's on their website
?

Attached: 2018-08-04-or8.png (379x154, 7K)