Ease of Use

so Jow Forums, what's easier to do in linux than in windows?

Attached: 1505844954629.png (1024x880, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thenextweb.com/insider/2016/02/01/running-a-single-delete-command-can-permanently-brick-laptops-from-inside-linux/
medium.com/dreamcatcher-its-blog/making-an-stand-alone-executable-from-a-python-script-using-pyinstaller-d1df9170e263
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PCIe Hotplug, VMs, replacing pretty much every userland component with an alternative, creating and modifying partition tables on disks

be free

Attached: mwaahahhaha.gif (500x281, 197K)

Networking
Printing to PDF

>what's easier to do in linux than in windows?
What isn't?

Hibernation is hit and miss on GNU/Linux
Simultaneous audio output of 32-bit and 64-bit applications without resorting to PulseAudio

ugh... linux is a fucking kernel

I mean, it's pretty easy to create a VM with VMware Workstation

>Hibernation is hit and miss on GNU/Linux
Never had that issue desu

I've done that a bunch of times and I don't see how it could be any easier. You just print and then choose print to pdf and then choose where to save it.

When did Microsoft add Print to PDF out of the box?

Switch back to windows

Not sure, but it's in the thing where you can add and remove windows features.

Attached: 1526968064115.png (415x368, 28K)

Not Windows' fault, but on any Linux distro I can easily compile my code, edit it, check for running processes, reboot to text mode (multi or single user), kill stuff when something bad happens (often a game dies on Windows and I can't open the task manager, so I need to force reboot) and so on. Not saying these can't be done on Windows, I just don't have time and patience to learn it all again just for the sake of using something else

Coding, window manipulation, file operations, latex, updates.

7, I believe

Updating in Windows is pretty easy, although having to restart unlike Linux isn't really the best.

tweaking in general, anything CLI related, a lot of things coding related (dear god compiling C on windows without using a IDE is a nightmare to how simple it is on linux)
the biggest downside of linux is the lack of support from big software editors (but creating a VM on linux)
but i'll agree i takes sometime to get into it

What about that Ubuntu Subsystem that Windows added a while back, can't you do anything with that?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1497905100039.png (640x480, 377K)

Updates

it's really easy to entirely fubar everything

thenextweb.com/insider/2016/02/01/running-a-single-delete-command-can-permanently-brick-laptops-from-inside-linux/
this is pretty funny

As other anons said already, coding small projects in general. Just install your compiler, write and compile.
I prefer doing this on a GNU/Linux VM instead of going through the crap windows requires.

I was referring more to software updates.

Oh, right.
It's pretty easy to update software when they all come from the same source, since you could update all of them with a simple command.
But I think you could also do that on Windows with Chocolatey as well, although I'm not sure since I've never used it.

scripting

that's just being an idiot. + he should be able to pick out the disk and fix those files again.

Well UEFI is supposed to still continue to work even with the variables are cleared out, so this is mostly due to bad implementation by the manufacturers.

download software

I mean, it's pretty easy to just go to the website of the software and download the exe.

Compiling from source.

Maybe it's possible to do that using WSL.

Actual legit criticism here. I've always had issues with Linux power management. Never found the root of the problem because sometimes I'll reinstall the same distro and it works.

Manage software, for one. I'm not a cool Linux hacker because I use tfw terminal to install software, but you can NOT convince me that searching for an exe and clicking through an installer is easier than using apt-get or pacman

Attached: wizard.jpg (680x794, 80K)

No Richard.

You always have to find out the name of what you want to install though.
For example, the vmware tools implementation for Linux. You have the option of using the one VMware provides, which has you do a lot of manual things and then open a terminal in the folder and run the install script, while on windows it just mounts it as a disk and you can install it right away without googling out to install it like I had to do on Linux.
If you want to install the open source one, you first have to figure out that it's a thing, and then you have to know the name to input, and you have to find out by searching. I don't think anyone would've known to type apt-get open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop right away after installing Linux, unlike the installer on Windows.

ignoring feature updates until i want them to be installed.

Cut bloat. Linux will let you know or purge anything you want, no matter how catastrophic to the user experience, by typing a few words into the terminal emulator. It will take me longer to write this sentence than it would to, say, remove sound support and reduce RAM/CPU usage.

There's an option in the advanced settings in Windows update to make it so that feature updates are installed later, and whenever you want to install it you can just change it back.

That's one thing that turns me off from it, since when I look at a package manager and I see hundreds and hundreds of packages, it just makes me want to remove all the ones that aren't needed, but I can't be assed to go through all of them.
When I do a fresh Windows install there's nothing like that, and I don't feel like I have to uninstall anything since it already feels perfect.

pretty much anything about your hard drives. update management. anything concerning security. customizing UI.

>When I do a fresh Windows install there's nothing like that
It's called the Services list

Long time Debian user who recently got a new laptop with Windows 10 on it.

I have spent the last day trying to turn a simple 20 line python program into a Windows executable, something that takes literally one command in Linix with the right scripts. In Windows I’m getting dependancy errors, powershell keeps shitting itself, nothing works intuitively, basically its fucking shit.

I’m gonna keep windows on the laptop though, because video games.

someone post the poettering thing

Never used apt-get, but I'm pretty sure it also has a search function like dnf.
>dnf search vmware
>[other results]
>open-vm-tools.x86_64 : Open Virtual Machine Tools for virtual machines hosted on VMware
>open-vm-tools.i686 : Open Virtual Machine Tools for virtual machines hosted on VMware

That's interesting, I'll keep a note of that.
Is there a way to install Android apps on Linux btw?

Write code outside of some dumbass ide

You have to use an emulator just like with Windows. Unfortunately the selection is quite a bit smaller. Genymotion is pretty good, but takes some tinkering for games. Anbox or Shashlik are also an option, but I never tried them, so I can't say how good they are.

Since they both use the Linux kernel I would think it would have better compatibility with Android apps. I think Anbox is more integrated like that, so maybe it would perform better and be more compatible.

I just found this article, does it not help?
medium.com/dreamcatcher-its-blog/making-an-stand-alone-executable-from-a-python-script-using-pyinstaller-d1df9170e263

avoid viruses

I've disabled windows defender on every install I've done for a while now (because of resource usage), and I haven't gotten a virus because as long as you're not an idiot and run random programs, you're probably going to be good.

i don't think about viruses at all

but when you say windows that's the first thing i think of

It's really rare for you to get one, since no one's really going to target linux because of the small user base. Although that article about a virus in the AUR is a bit worrying, even though I haven't even touched Arch. I think a lot of people use it since it has a lot of programs.

Not GNU/Linux's fault. Manufacturers are to blame (and their closed source *ware).

iirc there's a huge performance overhead in WSL

using IRC

Getting that full Linux experience

Attached: 1525678468090.png (800x600, 195K)

Navigating to parent directory.

There we go, much better

Attached: 1511023363743.png (1916x937, 298K)

Dark mode woo

Attached: 1514237990139.png (1916x937, 248K)

>chrome

Chrome is nice

At least use ungoogled-chromium

Science and coding.
If you try to do serious science computations on windows you will be laughed at.

>have no backups
>get wannacry
>cry

But I use a lot of google services, why would I want it to be ungoogled? Plus, last time I checked they hadn't even updated it to Chrome 68 yet.

How would I get wannacry?
I also do have backups, so it's not that much of a big deal if I did.

By visiting a website that exploits windows via javascript.

I check for updates every week or so, so it'd be incredibly rare for that to happen with a Windows with the latest security updates.

You'd be surprised how incompetent windows devs are.

There's also the Chrome sandbox that it would have to also bypass. That's why you don't usually hear of javascript exploits that can escape it and then affect Windows.

change fonts, customize desktop, install theme, find applications to install, manage and update apps, manage ram use even on a slow hard drive, debloat
but i still use windows because i can't for the life of me figure out how to get linux to work nice with a dedicated graphics card.

Just google for a list of known chrome exploits. Windows is not secure and will never be. That's why serious companies host windows in VMs on linux servers.

You're not going to find anything for the latest version of Chrome, and if it comes out, Google would patch it immediately.

why is stallman so desperate for recognition?

Hahaha.
The exploits are there. It's just that it takes time for white hat fags to discover and report them.

Because he's a fat communist?
When was the last time he actually wrote code?

>what's easier to do in linux than in windows?
Basically everything.

That image was manipulated. The original said "Don't buy from AMD - Enemies of your freedom".
The missing vocative comma is a dead giveaway. Stallman would write: "It's called GNU/Linux, motherfuckers."
Note the comma.

Stay a virgin

Partition drives

>install software
>update installed software
>drastically change the graphical environment (DE/WM)
>learn how to use installed programs (man pages)
>have two people using the same computer at the same time
>edit and manipulate text (let's say out of the box, since emacs and vim can be installed on Windows)

also, this

apt search firefox
Something you can find in the man page, if you forget.

1. Ssh into shit
2. Installing updates (without reboot)
3. Fix broken/fucked up parts of OS
4.Hosting an apache webserver for home network
5. Network stuff in general
Messing with partitions/fs
6. Better options for damage control when shit got in
7. Easier to keep shit out
8. Lots of useful cli tool to da shit in one line in less than 20sec that would take 5min in shitty win freebloatadcrapware
9. Keeping focused on the task, since there's no temptation to start vidya because there are almost none worthwhile for linux

Example:

Firefox installation:

>Windows
Open random browser and go to mozilla.org
Download the latest version of firefox
Start the Installer
Follow the instruktions
Open Firefox

>Linux
Open Termin
sudo apt install firefox
Open Firefox

Everything

>Networking
Can't believe how linux has better windows networking (Samba) than windows

>Open random browser and go to mozilla.org
>Download the latest version of firefox
>Start the Installer
>Follow the instruktions
>Open Firefox
Don't pretend this is more difficult than using a terminal, fuckbrain.

Fewer steps doesn't make a task inherently easier. You'd have to know that command first. A Windows user of the same level might already have the installer downloaded.

It is, though. You don't even need a browser installed when you have a package manager. You just run 'sudo apt install firefox' or similar. It also stays up to date along with all your other programs this way. If you think the fact that you're using a terminal makes something hard, you're clearly just inexperienced. Give it a try sometime.

>A Windows user of the same level might already have the installer downloaded.
That doesn't make sense. If two experienced users are dealing with a freshly installed OS and have an internet connection, it's objectively easier and faster to get Firefox on GNU/Linux than Windows.

Also, keep in mind that you can list as many programs as you want to install them all at once. If you know 5 programs you want to install, you just type them all in. On Windows, that's that many more website you have to navigate to, and you have to click through the installers still.

sudo apt install mpv nethack rsync ranger emacs
Can't really beat that.

That's the only real advantage Linux has over Windows, and I honestly prefer the way Windows does it. Once all is said and done it doesn't matter greatly how your browser is installed. What does matter is how well it works.

Intel + Nvidia in an Optimus config.
(Bumblebee drivers are a hit and miss sometimes)

Attached: 3d cube unity ubuntu.png (400x250, 84K)

>I honestly prefer the way Windows does it.
This is where you lost all credibility.
You sir, are either an idiot or a liar.

this should be the new mascot for sourcemage
>gnu/lizard(wizard)