Can't block ads

>can't block ads
>no extensions

Why would anyone use this garbage?

Attached: 480px-Qutebrowser.svg.png (480x480, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AdguardTeam/PopupBlocker
github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4075
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/stacktrace.asciidoc
s.cmpl.cc/xss
s.cmpl.cc/csrf
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/29
github.com/brave/ad-block
sciter.com/
flexx.readthedocs.io/
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/28
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/30
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium
github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/qt-5/modules/qtwebengine.nix
nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/install.asciidoc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>good keybinds
>so configurable you don't need extensions
>good enough ad blocking with host blocking

>that 25 year old boomer with a dozen extensions in his browser

because vim is good therefore everything needs modes!
Also thought it was funny that the guy who made it describes it as lightweight, says he doesn't understand C++ and thinks that fast development time is a good tradeoff for runtime performance, even in a fucking browser.

Attached: soy_wojak.jpg (387x437, 40K)

>can't block ads
You are either a shill or a stupid cunt because it has a built-in adblocker.
It it a great browser and i'm glad that normies like you don't like it.

add to greasemonkey scripts
github.com/AdguardTeam/PopupBlocker

script for host blocking
github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

>Why would anyone use this garbage?
very configurable, easy to add your own scripts since user config is in python and thanks to vim modes you can bind them to whatever you want, developer is qute and is actively adding new features making it feel like christmas all year around, and qutebrowser is qt, cute!

>keybinds that can be achieved with an extension
>not best ad blocking
>fucking Qt

nothin' wrong with qt

>that the guy who made it
Hi!

>describes it as lightweight
Where?

>says he doesn't understand C++
"I can't write C++ very well" is not the same as not understanding it. It just means I'm more comfortable with another language, which happens to be Python.

>and thinks that fast development time is a good tradeoff for runtime performance
Sure, if runtime performance isn't an actual problem (which is mostly true for qutebrowser). It's not like the rendering engine is written in Python...

>>describes it as lightweight
>Where?
Ok, my error. Everyone else does describe it as lightweight though.
I think if your program has potentially many end users it should use as little machine resources as possible regardless of performance (save watts). But that ship has sailed anyway.
And I have to say I tried qutebrowser a while ago and was surpised and annoyed to find that qutebrowser's input still lost focus on certain pages just like those firefox addons I've tried out. Vim-style browsing works pretty well for a text based browser like w3m, I don't think it translates that well for a chromium/webkit/whatever browser though.

I disagree with people calling it that - it has a minimal UI, but I wouldn't call it lightweight. No browser based on Chromium/WebKit/... probably deserves to be called lightweight.

However, I feel like anything not based on a big rendering engine (Dillo/NetSurf/w3m/lynx/links/elinks come to mind) is perhaps more lightweight, but also not really usable as a day-to-day browser in today's web. Not saying that's a good thing, but that's the reason qutebrowser is not minimal.

because it's qute :3

qutebrowser started crashing on launch for me on Parabola. A window briefly opens with a crash report, requesting an email or IRC handle for further communication to help diagnose the problem, but it crashes again before I can read or type anything.

On GuixSD, it can't launch because the last guy to update the package took out the setting to make it use webkit (I'm guessing) so now it just complains about lack of WebEngine, which isn't packaged by guix due to freedom issues. (I think they'd have to audit and disable parts of it, since it's essentially chromium)

Mostly just venting about the second thing. I haven't tried launching qutebrowser from a terminal yet on Parabola to see if it prints out errors there. I love your browser, by the way. It's super comfy when I can actually use it. Fast with god-tier bindings.

[user@comp ~]$ qutebrowser
10:50:53 INFO: Request to google-analytics.com blocked by host blocker.
Segmentation fault

This probably isn't much help, but that's what my terminal shows...

B-b-but it's ohpeeen shourfff

Attached: 30 yrs old boomer.jpg (800x450, 23K)

Qt is a plus you mongoloid

>gui class libraries

Attached: 1482876052405.png (447x437, 307K)

32-bit? Might be github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4075 but it doesn't happen anymore for the reporter. Either way, I can say more with a stacktrace: github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/stacktrace.asciidoc

Also let me note that Parabola packages an old version of qutebrowser (from March) with two known security issues which have been fixed since a while: s.cmpl.cc/xss and s.cmpl.cc/csrf

As for GuixSD: You should hopefully be able to click the "Use QtWebKit" button in that dialog, unless they don't package a recent QtWebKit.

I was just memeing but now i feel kinda bad for calling your browser garbage... Anyway, if it had uBlock I would probably switch to it from firefox. Host blocking just doesn't cut it.

See github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/29 - it might end up using github.com/brave/ad-block but I have other priorities right now (mostly open pull requests, and a Python plugin API).

qutebrowser is the best browser I've ever used. Any option I've wanted is just a setting. Anything else I can script in. Fuck the h8rz

just checked out now,,, jeez by far the most terrible idea ever, literally autism material, not even joking

Doesn't support uMatrix either

Do you know a valid alternative to qt

sciter.com/
flexx.readthedocs.io/
or any alternative ui that allows you to use html/css/js - I'm not even gonna spend much time explaining why it's essential and all the decent companies uses them, since it's obvious.

>this thing is annoying and awful
>use this thing that's much worse
ewww user you're dumb

Is there something like uMatrix on the roadmap?

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/30

I'll be working on a plugin API starting in September, and then hopefully this will finally happen.

There's like 10 vim extensions for Firefox. Why would you use this piece of shit?

>because vim is good therefore everything needs modes!
refute this, nigger. i'd rather browse web pages with simple keystrokes instead of doing convoluted c-a m-x wrist breaking shortcuts

I'm using cVim in Vivaldi and I rarely use the mouse. What are you talking about? You can set focus to any element that allows it pressing F. It's true that some pages abuse Javascript and fuck up your vim experience but they will fuck it up anyway vim or not.

because pentadactyl will never come back to life after quantum, user. everything else sucks dick pretty badly

Love the browser, but there's a few things that make it unusable for me:

1) Lack of support for gifv/reddit videos/facebook videos (shit content I know, but I'd still like to be able to actually view it rather than pasting the URL in a firefox instance).
2) Youtube videos autoplaying on tab open. Firefox pauses the video until the tab is actually active, and a huge QoL improvement.
3) Lack of adblock for e.g. youtube videos. I understand that this one is much harder to implement, but it'd be much appreciated by many people.

If 1) and 2) were fixed, I'd switch back to your browser in a heartbeat.

it's chrome, use a fucking mouse like everyone else. if you spend a significant amount of time in chrome then you have more pressing issues

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 72K)

you press i to get into insert mode and ESC to go back to normal, wouldn't say that's wrist breaking stuff

1) is only a problem if you use QtWebEngine compiled without proprietary codec support. Nothing qutebrowser can do about that, but most distro's Qt packages have those enabled. You can even get Netflix/Amazon Prime to work if you install Widevine.

2) The "content.autoplay" setting might help, else see 3)

3) Use github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium (qutebrowser supports GreaseMonkey scripts)

I'm on NixOS which supposedly uses QtWebEngine for qutebrowser by default. I've researched it and there seem to be some github issues regarding compilation without proprietary codec but no given solution.

I'll check out your solutions for 2) and 3), thanks a ton. Might be switching back to qutebrowser already if they work.

github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/qt-5/modules/qtwebengine.nix seems to have a enableProprietaryCodecs flag which is true by default. Not sure when that was added, though. Worst case you can always bind a key to open videos in mpv.

Odd, I haven't tampered with any of the settings and I have allowUnfree = true so in theory it should be working. Might have to bring up a github issue for that.
I've been considering making the switch to mpv, is there any way to make it particularly convenient? (rather than copy-pasting the link into mpv each time)

:bind ,m spawn mpv {url}
:bind ,M hint links spawn mpv {hint-url}

(with , as a prefix to not conflict with builtin bindings)

Thanks, works like a charm. Is there any way to configure it so that any youtube videos opened using 'f' hints also open with mpv?

Nope. That kind of thing should be possible once there's a plugin API though.

Alright, looking forward to it. Cheers for all the help, keep up the good work.

Could anyone tell me how to install qutebrowser from scratch? I can't find anything on the internet. What packages should I get first?
I've barely installed Gentoo and I want to be a cool kid

For the life of me I can't figure out why qutebrowser deals with pasting in transparent images so shit (completely removes all transparency when pasting images into qutebrowser itself). It only seems to affect me because I see other anons having no troubles with it. What am I doing wrong?

Ha eh qt browser sticker vom ne kolleg becho de di bem ccc troffe het. Nice browser.

will you peeps stop shitting on cutebrowser it's literally the only decent shit which has vim keybindings and not stuck on webkit

Ah yes, excellent argument. I had not considered that point of view :^)

For a second I thought it was a new logo for qbittorrent.

>ublock
>umatrix
>violentmonkey(stylish is chink botnet)
What else do I need lads?

You're probably on stable.
Try unstable.
Change your configuration.nix systemVersion to unstable, then change your nix-channel globally.
sudo nix-channel --list
sudo nix-channel --remove nixos
sudo nix-channel --add nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable nixos
...Or something like that.

Attached: 1418705869205.gif (400x480, 443K)

This should be obvious, but make sure you rebuild and upgrade.
Don't forget to run sudo nix-channel --update

I downloaded it because python. It's neat looking and might save on RAM or whatever, but too obtuse. Downloaded Vivaldi instead and I'm liking it so far. Yes I spent an hour customising it.

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/install.asciidoc

D Welt isch chlii!

People confuse them a lot... Didn't know about qbittorrent when I picked the name (or even when the logo was designed).

>ublock
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/29
>umatrix
>violentmonkey(stylish is chink botnet)
already supported

fuck python

you're my hero The_Compiler

>any alternative ui that allows you to use html/css/js

found the web """engineer"""