Monitor Resolution Discussion

1440p vs 4k
Is 4K worth it on a laptop?

How bad is a 1440p monitor for watching 1080p Bluray? I am pretty picky with these things.
Is there any good way to upscale? What is the best software with that in mind?

Attached: 5672104C-DF75-4B46-A43B-1764208B4280.png (888x500, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_Upscaling_1080p_Image_Quality
ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30297641/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

4k on a laptop is okay, but just recognize that you'll be GUI scaling it to 200% or even more depending on the screen size, and thus you won't have 4k of usable desktop resolution, however because of the increased pixel density the image quality WILL be sharper than a normal 1080p laptop panel at the same size, and so the quality IS improved, weather or not that's worth it to you is something else, but there IS an advantage to having higher pixel density.

Attached: Gameboy through 4k.png (3840x2160, 226K)

for screen space, 4k is worthless on a laptop, but honestly you should use external monitors anyway.

at home, plug it in and get a good experience, on the go you have a functional enough resolution, at least that's how I would go if I was in the market for a laptop.

What about 1440p?

I wouldn't get 4k on anything below 32'

Every media player has scaling algorithms, but you need a good GPU for this.

I have a 4k 43" monitor and 1440p 27" monitor, usually I watch things on the 4k, but since my 27" has higher contrast ratio, I do occasionally watch blurays on that monitor. Scaling looks fine, but I use SVP, so not sure if that does anything to it.

Does it look fine after being upscaled or is it noticeable?
How good of a GPU? Integrated graphics are probably fine, correct?

Depending on laptop size you may be able to view it at 100% scaling, that's really the big problem is scaling, because not everything scales nicely.

for video, 1440p scales 720 perfectly, and 1080 on something sub 17 inches may be hard to see any of the scaling weirdness.

check some out in a store and see if you can deal with the size of text at 100% scaling.

personally wouldn't get 4k on anything sub 40 inch, but I own a tv I use as a monitor, had to get 55 inch because it was either pay out the ass for an equivalent in the 40 inch range, or take a dramatic step down in quality.

honestly, for everyday use at about 2-3 foot away, Its very hard to complain about, the way the panel dims leads to weakness, but I take the good contrast and local dimming with the bad of the weird checkerboard dimming it does.

unless you have raw video, enough compressions shit was likely introduced that it doesn't matter if the scaling is off a bit.

as for scaling, you have cheap scaling and you have expensive, there is likely something in there that you can use effectively, if i remember right video is one of the few things intels gpu is good at.

In screenshots comparisons yeah you can tell, In practice while the video is playing I can't tell the difference past bicubic scaling desu, but it's more noticeable in anime.

wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_Upscaling_1080p_Image_Quality

For 1440p is downscaling 4k better than upscaling 1080p or are they the same?
Apologies for being a brainlet

4k is more information and thus should be better assuming you have a decent modern GPU and CPU that can handle the higher bitrates.

>muh resolution
unless you have above than average eyesight and sit a proper distance away and manage to see individual pixels in that position there is no reason whatsoever to go higher.

>4k on a laptop
>don't pretend you can actually read anything that's on your screen

2560x1600 master race

Dude. Just fucking kill yourself already you blind cunt.

Thw image quality diffence on 4k vs 1440p is massive. The only sad thing with 4k is the 60hz cap. But hopefully we can see more 4k 100hz+ monitors soon.

Anyone who says that there is no difference is either blind or a Trump voter.

Yeah, using a 43" 4k monitor at normal desktop distance is GREAT for strategy games (civilization, AoE, Total war series, etc.) the 60hz cap isn't nearly as impactful as it is in first person shooters and RPGs and shit like that.

Attached: 2018-05-12 13.47.37.jpg (4032x2268, 3.35M)

1080p here, it's plenty of real estate for my 15" screen. 4k and 1440p are great if you're doing media creation, photoshop, lightroom and CAD, and I'm doing the first two fine. was a hell of an upgrade over 768p

That looks sexy. I had a 40" Korean 60hz VA. Starcraft2 looked amazing on it. Sadly I game a lot of CSGO in between work for mind relief.. And it was too big. So I replaced it with a 27 1440 144hz.

Better for fps. But I miss 4k

Oh, the 27" 1440p 144hz is off to the side

Attached: 2018-07-30 19.39.15.jpg (4032x2268, 2.14M)

Which monitor model is that?

LG 43UD79

I have the same. It is absolutely christ tier. Great for software dev.

Yup, great monitor. Just not going to be good for fast paced gaming, which is easily solved by another monitor.

Have a 48 inch 4K and I can say the same, I'd also extend that to anything singleplayer you'd pick up a controller for.

>tfw 48 inch 4K and 27 inch 1440p 144hz but not enough desk space
>tfw that slab of wood you're gunna make the ultimate desk from doesn't come back into stock until october

Why bother.

Should just grab a kitchen counter top from Ikea.

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30297641/

Drill some holes for mounting legs and screw the legs in place.
Bam, big ass hardwood desk.

OFFICIAL LIST OF RESOLUTIONS FOR SANE PEOPLE

1080p 22-24" 1x
1440p 30-32" 1x
4K 22-24" 2x
4K 44-48" 1x