How do we fix Linux, Jow Forums?

How do we fix Linux, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1492067586058.png (602x500, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
gist.github.com/Dudemanguy911/c172394e30e1e7d0f477ad15c719bc71
github.com/cubanismo/allocator
netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?format=default&id=298848
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Make a nice file browser for it which doesn't suck ass.

make it closed source
code niggers cant do n^2+1 distros

Have all steam games be compatible + Adobe software

> Build Time Machine

> Go back in time

> Stop DirectX from happening

> ???

> profit

R

e

d

d

i

t

S

p

a

c

i

n

g

By not making shit threads like this

Nice file browsers already exist. You mean the open file dialogue on browsers? That's a Gtk+ issue. Chrome* uses the default file manager to open files so if you use KDE plasma, you get thumbnails. Firefox is retarded and uses Gtk+ file opener no matter what

>Firefox is retarded and uses Gtk+ file opener no matter what
This sounds like the whole issue could be solved permanently if Firefox would decide to use KDE file picker no matter what. Has anyone even asked Firefox devs for that?

Move to GPLv3+ and remove proprietary blobs.

They should use the default file picker of the OS. You have to patch Firefox to use the plasma file picker and only opensuse offers it in their repos already patched

Rewrite the kernel in golang

>They should use the default file picker of the OS
That would only solve the file picker thumbnail issue for KDE users. If GTK developers haven't fixed it in 14 years they just aren't going to, someone else has to. If Firefox would have working thumbnails then that would cover most of the users immediately.

The kernel in Linux?

Forcing kde file picker will mean dragging in a bunch of kde dependencies. I think anyone who uses gnome or any Gtk+ DE know what they're getting into

Remove X, use Wayland

only

using

one

new

line

>T-That's a Gtk issue!
It doesn't matter who's issue it is. The point is that it's happening, and it makes the entire OS look like a joke in comparison to its competitors, and pointing fingers isn't going to work as an excuse.

It is a Gtk issue faggot. What can other DEs do about it? Linux is a kernel so it has nothing to do with what technology is used in the DE the person installed. And saying some thumbnail issue makes it look pathetic is pretty overdramatic.

Linux can't be fixed, it's too goddamn corporate.

Have only two distros Linux Mint for beginners and Gentoo for more advanced users.

Put more efforts in making things beatiful. I'm sick of pirating MSOffice because LibreOffice looks like bootleg. Same with Photoshop. Same with every distro, even Elementary. If GNU/Linux was beatiful I'd only use Windows for games.

Attached: 1532453615155.jpg (1080x1350, 61K)

>says we should only have 2 distros
>picks 2 of the worst distros
yikes

*Same with GIMP, I meant.

Why don't you explain yourself then? At least with two distros we can stop the retarded meme distro bullshit.

Then don't pick meme distros.

I don't. I picked Mint and stuck with it. I mean for new users who spend more time installing random disros instead of actually using their computers. There is way too many distros with meaningless variations.

But I like arch more than Gentoo

make openbox desktop default

Debian, openSUSE, and Fedora are probably the best options available if we have to limit the number of distros out there. Gentoo is fucking retarded for most people because even people who know what they are doing need to get work done.

I mostly singled out Gentoo since it does allow you to have a pretty minimal system if you wanted. Really, any two or three distros would be fine as long as there is a good reason for it, like maybe one could have systemd and another one doesn't for those who don't want it.

Main thing I want to see end is, "Ubuntu fork that doesn't nothing but look pretty #1000" and the stupid act of distro hopping.

>reee stop trying things

Start with fucking finishing Wayland and actually make it work with Nvidia cards..

1) don't talk about Wayland if you don't know what it is
2) it's Nvidia's fault for wanting to do things their way instead of following the spec like Intel and AMd

Raise several million dollar to:
1) hire designers
2) bribe gaymendevs
Problems weren't.

>reee stop trying things
yeah, especially when you can try them all within ONE single OS

Daily reminder, it will never, EVER be the year of the Linux desktop

>Reee try things only the way I think you should try them!
Having choices isn't a bad thing, even if you don't like that those choices can be made

That is not what me and the other user are saying. Most Linux distros are just differences in DE and software, which you can access in one distro. You can have a distro anyway you want it, but you;d be better off installing a popular distro with good software support and install all your rice and software on it than just spend a whole day installing distros. Elementary OS was okay, until I realized I could just install Docky on Mint and have a better OS. Distro hopping is stupid, no matter how you slice it.

That list sounds pretty cool but maybe the list shouldn't only have 3 options. Make it at least 5 main distros to choose from and no one should have any problems with it. Maybe something like Ubuntu as well even though Debian is already included, so there's company behind that family as well.

totally support it
free os designs usually are bleugh, unless they invite decent artists
clueless programmers should never, NEVER attempt to design their stuff that's supposed to be distributed to the outside world, what's ok for their autistic inner circles is NOT good for other, slightly more emotionally developed people

Marketing and design.

I'll make a new logo.

It's just that Linux users and devs are autists that are never willing to compromise. Nvidia works fine on Windows and Mac.

That is fair. Not sure what the 5th distro should be. Not many offer any compelling features that can't be found among the other 4.

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, [what]

The "Linux desktop" isn't developed by a single person or entity ala Windows or MacOS. It's not an excuse to "point fingers" when this is quite literally an instance of one group of notoriously uncooperative developers refusing to implement basic functionality into their toolkit, and shitty application developers using said toolkit/the shitty filechooser when alternatives exist.

For fuck's sake, an user here on fucking Jow Forums of all places already implemented a thumbnail view in the gtk filechooser years ago, and, surprise surprise, the gtk devs told them to fuck off. If you really want it, I believe the patched gtk filechoosers are available in the AUR.

At any rate, for most intents and purposes, the issue has been "fixed" for a long time now for people who actually care about it, by using KDE w/ patched firefox (I think it's technically possible to use the KDE filechooser on other DEs but I haven't fucked with it), using the patched gtk filechoosers, or using a Qt based desktop (which thankfully a lot of DEs are moving to) as the default Qt filechooser is pretty good, too.

>If GTK developers haven't fixed it in 14 years they just aren't going to, someone else has to.
Someone already did, the GTK devs told them to fuck off.
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
gist.github.com/Dudemanguy911/c172394e30e1e7d0f477ad15c719bc71

The absolute state if nu-Jow Forums. Why should NVIDIA have a special way implemented when AMD and Intel followed spec and everything is working just fine for them. Go back to /v/ and never post here again.

"Compromising" would involve every single Wayland compositor creating and maintaining an entirely separate code path for Nvidia's special snowflake standard, which is what the GNOME cucks ended up doing. Literally every other fucking graphics vendor supports GBM. Even fucking Broadcom supports GBM.

It's very backwards to say:
>Make Wayland work with Nvidia

It's actually:
>Nvidia should make their shit work with Wayland

Which, for what it's worth, they're doing, albeit very, very slowly:
github.com/cubanismo/allocator

I'm really looking forward to hearing updates on this from XDC2018 in September.

do what reactos is doing, but actually make it look good.

Well the last one could be Gentoo that provides users every modification they weren't able to find in commercial distros.

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Gentoo, sound pretty complete.

get a ram optimization feature in the kernel.
it's a shame modern linux has difficulty running in 16Mb of ram

get it to stop crashing all the time

give it a marketing budget and pay companies to port software to it ie. adobe products, popular daws. The rest would come naturally. And that will never happen.

How many people are still using computers with 16Mb ram here.

According to netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?
there's 2 million people with 16 MB RAM or less

Get rid of GTK, get rid of SystemD, every application gui should be in QT. That should do it.

>Has anyone even asked Firefox devs for that?
yeah, 13 years ago
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?format=default&id=298848
and they got told to fuck off

unironically, binary drivers and stable api

linux isn't linux without tux, faggot.

Attached: tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Linux doesn't really need "fixing"--it needs marketshare, and the "fixes" will come along with that. For all intents and purposes, it works fine as is, it could just stand to have more software and a little bit of polish in some areas. This is what will bring in the "intermediate" users, since Linux is already good enough for the super casual user, and it's also good for the power-user who's willing to get their hands a little dirty to get their system to do whatever they want or fix problems (like setting up GPU passthrough/Wine to run games and what have you). It's the "intermediate users", who want to do more intensive system tasks, but who still want a GUI for everything and don't want to do any additional configuration, that Linux isn't well suited for yet, but that'll come with marketshare.

A Chromebook/Android approach is by far the best way of accomplishing this (botnet aside). The number one most important thing here is preinstalls, since 99% of people aren't going to install their own operating system, and it helps a lot to have hardware that's known to be compatible and work well from the get go.

Start by marketing Linux machines about the exact same way Chromebooks are marketed: low cost machines aimed at non-power users, with the understanding that they're not going to be able to run Windows software. Linux has a lot of qualities that make it nice for the typical super casual computer user, such as the way it handles updates and software installation, to the lack of malware, and more. FOSS software like LibreOffice or web-based software like the Google office-suite are more than sufficient for this sort of user.

Then, have hardware manufacturers/distributors handle the platform the same way they do Android--as mentioned, they select the hardware, so they know everything works, then, like with Android phones, they could touch up the base distribution to offer their own unique, polished experience, like what System76 does with Pop!OS.

Attached: ChuckVsTux-full.jpg (800x600, 35K)

Kill systemd.
Make an init system that follows the UNIX philosophy, isn't a botnet, and doesn't fry your motherboard.

More games.

Stick it on a phone and call it Android.

Apple has already done all the GUI design work for you. Just copy macOS instead of having 1000 flavours of mediocrity and Windows taskbars.

Apart from that make the install process just work on any system imaginable. Make it simple to get wifi and graphics working on a MacBook install.

Adobe is becoming less relevant. Davinci Resolve already works on Linux. There are more competitors to photoshop these days. Ignore gaymen.

Also change logos and general design of apps. Shit like tux, the gimp logo, and the libre office GUI look like they were made my programmers. You know there are actual professional designers and artists who have industries of their own?

macOS is currently way more advanced and polished than anything else. The general UI is great, and now that usefulness is being extended - I can see what tabs I have open between Safari iOS and macOS. I can manage passwords and notes between the two, and easily share files via iCloud.

And I know if I’m on a video shoot I can jump on another crew member’s Mac and they’re going to have all the necessary software and it’s all going to be found in the same place. I spend 0 seconds figuring out how they have their shit set up. This is what Linux needs to compete with.

>Apple has already done all the GUI design work for you
sorry I'd rather use my own brain
>macOS is currently way more advanced and polished than anything else
yeax, escept you are stuck with one desktop forever
what's the point of using modifiable open source os then?
i'd prefer my own openbox environment to some sterile win/mac look

Stop trying to shoehorn a server OS into a desktop use case. That's how. Linux is perfect as it is, there's a reason why every super computer and almost every web server runs Linux, and there's also a reason it has less than a 2% desktop market share despite being gratis, and there being a multitude of easy-to-install distributions: it's hobbyist tier garbage as a desktop OS.

>hobbyist tier garbage
>best minds work on it

Better yet, Sabayon. You can install Sabayon minimal, or a full version. The package manager is decent, and if you want to you can easily convert it to a gentoo install and use portage. It's the best of both worlds.

>Stop trying to shoehorn a server OS into a desktop use case.
nigger, linus started developing linux specifically as a desktop OS
leave this board

About two months ago I installed systemd/linux ubuntu on a separate partition, and it was good for a while, until I updated it and ended with a bootloop. Deleted that partition.
Just a few hours ago I installed systemd/linux Solus on VMware, and I updated it. Gets stuck halfway through (progress bar halts), waited an hour, and when I restarted anyway, it boots into a black screen with a blinking cursor.
What do I install next ? I don't understand.

Win 10 has been trouble-free with some powershell scripts to remove any unwanted features, and the only problem is the app defaults keep resetting after a thorough bitbleach run which is fixed after a reboot. But it takes 2gb ram at default, and the OS takes too much storage space too. Maybe I should install Win XP.

Attached: archnubs.png (627x627, 370K)

gui plebs

Attached: literalreddit.jpg (456x520, 222K)

I agree. Most FOSS applications look like garbage.

me, with one of my routers

You can't
>X11
>Systemd
>Pulse audio
>Screen tearing
>Font rendering
>Drivers
>Dependency hell
>Poor documentation

jornada 680 :)

1) Fix user permissions, if you want to have an everyday desktop OS you shouldn't need to enter your password to do basic tasks

2) Fix hardware support, no shit. Inb4 some koolaid drinking retard says "b-but if you spent 10 hours on the wiki you can eventually figure it out!" fuck off dude, most people don't have the patience for that shit

3) Software support in general, not much you can do except hope people give a shit

4) Fix things that are actually important, like display settings, hotkey rebindings, hardware detection, etc etc

Programming wise it's great but as an actual everyday desktop it fucking blows, and sadly using most things on windows sucks. Unironically owning a mac is the best choice, if the hardware wasn't so fucking overpriced and trash.

fuck me man just make apple version 2 already, make a startup and sell supported hardware and make a distro, become apple 2

Hackintosh a Thickbad X220

You just won the "Most retarded post and poster" award of the month and probably the entire year.

>How do we fix Linux, Jow Forums?
By using OpenBSD

he is VERY correct though.

fuck those poorfags

>puri.sm
I guess not that easy, but they're trying

He's not wrong

Found the gnome developer

Only the last two points are SOMEWHAT correct, the rest is NON-ISSUE

When li us devs realize people don't use repository and app stores. Except steam or apple shit people do not install most software like that. But it's all you get in Linux, lest you...gasp...use a command line.

And nobody is going to do that except autistic people. And since autistic people both use and make Linux it's never going to change.

Every normie friend I know uses the win10 appstore so... It is not that hard to switch to the Ubuntu store

Dolphin. it's basically total commander for linux.

>he doesn't know about .deb and .rpm packages
>he doesn't know about graphical package managers
>he doesn't know what package managers are for

Nothing. The first will be last and the last will be first.

Attached: your-pc-will-automatically-restart-in-1-minute.png (600x140, 59K)

You either use a distro that has fixed screen tearing and font rendering out of the box or you do it manually because you don't want your distro to do anything for you. These things are a non-issue.
>poor documentation
Oh it was all a bait, okay.

>DirectX
I've yet to encounter an explanation for why Direct3D is supposedly superior.
All I ever hear is gamers citing cash-grab "blockbuster" games that "look awesome" and incidentally use Direct3D.

Can someone refresh my memory why gtk devs refuses to implement thumbnails?
Wasn't it because of some security issue..?

Attached: 1509713004789.jpg (680x678, 59K)

I remember something about it being too resource heavy or something. If they can't do it they should just copy KDE.

>not using ranger

Imagine, gtk devs caring about computer resources...

only use the kernel, everything else is trash

Gnome and GTK developers suffer from Not-Invented-Here syndrome. They rarely accepted patches from outsiders. Most of the time they don't even acknowledge them.
Experimental thumbnail support has been implemented at least 3x over the last 10 years.
It was a lot of work each time because of necessary refactoring due to API changes.