He unironically uses and likes X11

>he unironically uses and likes X11
loling at your life
>b-but muh tiling WM!!!
not an argument. Sway exists

Attached: tumblr_om93wdfZTF1tydz8to1_500.gif (500x545, 263K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz7Shbnb9c
youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally nothing runs under wayland

Literally all of GTK and Qt does afaik

>using Linux at all

Attached: 1533225435012-fourchan-g-66982157.jpg (755x500, 104K)

>Shrek-Posting, ever

Attached: just.jpg (320x571, 20K)

>Sway exists
I prefer dwm

How else do I run graphical applications from my UNIX/Linux machine on Windows or UNIX or Linux or vice versa?

>falling for the linux users are pedos meme
>spelling it as 'paedo'

>he doesn't use Xenocara

Attached: snw3i.jpg (640x418, 198K)

>paedophile
>ae

bongs are so fucking stupid it's unbelievable

He doesn't use a turing machine to shitpost on a Senegalese cum drinking forum
Lmaoing at your life

Attached: 1523566445823.png (817x443, 34K)

i want to nakadashi raphi-chan

Is wayland as bloated as X11 is?

>turing machine
Real men shitpost by reducing lambda expressions.

No. Part of the point of Wayland is to not have as much legacy bloat as X11.

why would you bother even having a WM at that point

>pae
kek

>he doesn't know that X11 can run wayland apps but wayland can't run X11 apps so there is no point in switching to wayland.

Wayland is slow

I won't fall fo yours Sway, Wayland stuff.
My X11 is good...

I SAY IT IS GOOD!!! STOP IT!!!

Other way around, dork

Is this tripfag pretending to be retarded on purpose?

It's the reverse. Wayland compositors can run X apps, but X WMs/DEs can't run Wayland apps.
>i-it's good!! Trust me!!
X is a protocol with a lot of legacy bloat and has many serious flaws. See pic related
Wayland is a simpler, more effective design. See pic in second post related

Attached: X.png (1481x933, 255K)

Second post

Attached: Way.png (1469x746, 159K)

>what is rdp/vnc?

>just buy another computer goy

The fuck are you talking about? Why would you need any number of computers more than the number you would need to do it using shitty X?

How is sway?

>no mousegrabbing

I'm pretty positive about Wayland but I stumbled upon following question
>What about network X sessions? How would I do that with Wayland?

>Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft
And VNC just streams the image without knowing what's inside so it's less efficient. X11 is doing something like RDP, isn't it? As in: it knows what's actually being displayed (a box, a button etc.) so it can essentially compress it better. Or does that not apply with modern applications that have quite a lot of eye candy?

>Or does that not apply with modern applications that have quite a lot of eye candy?
I don't have the specifics, but I've heard as much.

Why do I need a virtual desktop if I just want to run a single application?

X is absolute, unadulterated, pure fucking garbage, and I wholeheartedly welcome the advent of Wayland, or literally any other display server/protocol that comes along and takes X to the fucking gallows once and for all.

The model as a whole is extremely outdated, visibly inefficient, insecure, and it such a fucking mess of spaghetti code and extensions and life support that only a few people on the planet still understand how to actually maintain it. Their opinion on X? "Kill it with fire, please."

For a group of people that love to lambaste Windows users for having "babyduck syndrome", I've never seen more babyducks when it comes to the retards peddling the "x-xorg just werks" shit and spreading dumbfuck FUD about Wayland. (Of course, in all fairness, it doesn't help when all the distros out there wanted to be the first kids on the block to use Wayland and started pushing it out before it was 100% ready, leading to the average retarded joe to swear off of it.)

Similarly, for a group of people that jerk themselves off over software minimalism, there sure are a lot of people that love to suck the bloated dick of X. The same people who cry "Systemd does way too much for an init system!" seem to have no problem with all of the shit a display server shouldn't be doing, and they're too fucking retarded to understand that the Wayland protocol will eventually/has already gotten standardized extensions/addons for the sorts of shit they're bitching about (for instance, screensharing is now implemented under Pipewire, which on a side note, will kill another cancer, PA, eventually)

Simply put, and in simple user terms--X is responsible for a lot of the jankiness of the Linux desktop (as you'd expect of a display server that's been kept on life support for 30 years), and when Wayland is eventually adopted, it'll go a LONG way towards bringing Linux to the fucking 21st century.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz7Shbnb9c

Good video on the subject.

/thread

saved

It's as simple as X werking and Wayland still being beta. People will switch when it's viable, but who knows when that will be. First 2012 was supposed to be the year if Wayland, thrn 2015. We're half way through 2018 and it still isn't there.

sway is throttling garbage
>inb4 your laptops sucks
x11 with i3 works just fine

Have they fixed the Intel GPU lag on Wayland yet?

still no nvidia support aka 90% of GPUs?

>meme

youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

this might be useful

Sorry I can't until nvidia stops being retards.
And no, I won't install GNOME

more like wayneverland lmao

I don't disagree, I just have no real desire to be an early adopter, since I'm lazy. Like when Wayland is sufficiently well-supported and featureful that Debian says "Okay, next stable release is gonna use it by default", then I'll switch to it.

I'm pretty sure Buster stable will use it by default on GNOME installs.

it sure sounds like the image says that x11 letting the kernel do its job, processing the i/o, is a bad thing while wayland is somehow better because it does the same thing.
so basically another systemd-like violation of the unix philosophy, unifying the display manager and the compositor

why do I even need a compositor? both would run faster without one, but wayland takes away your ability to turn it off

KDE neon user here. Wayland is not stable on my thinkpad with intel IGP.

Wayland is cool but just too finicky and slow for me to keep using. Sorry. Maybe in a few years?

>so basically another systemd-like violation of the unix philosophy
see: Wayland is actually more minimalistic due to the display server itself being simply a display server. Nothing more. Also it's going to be smaller than X anyway due to not having legacy shite.

And this new Wayland system will be better for the future too. One might think that we're just replacing one legacy protocol with a newer one that will eventually become outdated later on down the line. However, because Wayland itself doesn't implement a whole lot on its own, the unneeded features can be removed/replaced at the compositor level without having to come up with a whole new display server again.

>TFW no FOSS GPU driver for ARM Mali T7xx
>TFW no FOSS GPU acceleration on snsv c201
>TFW stuck with framebuffered TTY and X11+i3wm

wait 20 years for wayland to become usable then you can start making these threads OP

Attached: joe.png (268x304, 111K)

>tiling shit
Umm, no sweetie. Some of us have work to do, Lukie.

>using an unfinished product instead of a standard

Kys

I use Quartz!

Attached: .png (645x450, 70K)

What about games?
What about nVidia?
What about electron?

>Sway exists
and works like crap
also i3 is crap

only 2D, 3D is kill because it uses xwayland
and the only thing that's wayland ready™ is weston which also may have it's minor issues like crapping itself if you switch ttys or close an xwayland window and switch desktops
still better than video playback stutter in gnome or lag in sway

Liri is looks to be the best wayland experience or enlightenment since gnome don't care about fixing bugs for years

hello rabbi moshe ben amin

>wayland apps
app yourself

it's not
what are you talking about

bad

>90% of GPUs

Attached: it-was-real-in-my-mind.jpg (480x360, 11K)

>slow

so you use dwm?

>I'm gay!

less gay than anime

there is no gay scale
you're either gay or not

So wayland is more unix then X?

How do I get this set up and working on arch linux please?

Install a Wayland compositor, then use it.

>unix philosophy
UNIX is dead. Linux is not UNIX. GNU's not UNIX.
Apart from that, Wayland is far more lean than X11. When's the last time you drew graphics with pure Xlib?

>it knows what's actually being displayed (a box, a button etc.)
No. That used to be true in the 1980s.
Nowadays virtually all GUI programs just send bitmaps to the X server.
X11 forwarding is less efficient than RDP, VNC or Spice.

what command do i run