Should I Do It Jow Forums ?

Should I Do It Jow Forums ?

Attached: archlinux-512.png (512x512, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>2018
>haven't do it yet

ill take that as a yes

>>ITT: retarded faggot needs approval from internet strangers before installing distro

Yes go for it, dont listen to the rude niggers here. Arch is a great distro and you will learn alot about linux if this is your first time installing arch. Good luck fren

Attached: jesus_and_golden_retriever_dog_art_print-r9b28ce21265745eba51b753e452d9524_cnn_8byvr_307.jpg (307x307, 19K)

Eventually you realize there's no advantage and installing Ubuntu is much more convenient.

No, Install Gentoo instead.

Is that a new icon for telegram?

Unironically this. Most of the claimed advantages of arch are either lies or not actually advantages.

No, install TempleOS. Gentoo is bloat

How so? Arch is a much faster install.

Ubuntu is only relevant if you install the Server edition but at this point you should rather use Debian or Arch. Ubuntu is for brainlets. If you care about your PC, do not use Ubuntu.

No.
>systemd
>precompiled botnet kernel
No you should not.
Slackware. Get it.

All I can see is a tiny dick in the logo. Do what you want OP, I don't care.

Why is systemd bad? It's the fastest, most reliable init system I've used.

And GNU/Linux goes faster without it.

With what in its place?

Yes, it has a glorious wiki to the point even a beginner can get by.

Look for yourself.
slackware.com/

If you can't name anything I assume you are just spouting anti-systemd memes.

Not him but I use based OpenRC

Runit, openRC or sysinit.

But that is far slower than systemd.
Show your numbers.

Anything is better than systemd.
Plus, Slackware is generally better than Arch, systemd aside.

Substantiate both of these claims.

Numbers? You mean seconds to boot? Or overall responsiveness? Please elaborate, if you want concise answers ask better questions.

>arch - precompiled botnet kernel
>slackware - not precompiled botnet kernel
>arch - aur
>slackware - no shitty aur
>arch - system breaking package manager
>slackware - functional package manager

>functional package manager
Do you mean the user or slapt-get?

slapt-get

We're talking about them as init systems, so it should be pretty clear what I'm talking about.
How is the precompiled kernel botnet?
How is having a database for user packaged software a bad thing?
How could a package manager break a system? Do you mean packages upgrading? Because that is the fault of the package, not the package manager, and it could happen on any system, especially a bleeding edge system.

Attached: did u know I use arch.png (492x611, 407K)

>Calls systemd an init
Then why does it do all that other shit?
>It should be pretty clear what I'm talking about
Is it though? Clarify or don't, you're asking for information without enough of a knowledge base or having done any research for yourself, and defending systemd because you think people who don't trust it are memesters.

Alphabet Inc. made closed sourced contributions to the Linux kernel that are only used in precompiled versions of the kernel found in Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.
The AUR is just retarded.
And Arch isn't designed well. Package updates shouldn't be able to break your system.

Where are those blobs btw?

Attached: archpleb.jpg (540x270, 37K)

I am honestly not sure, I just know they exist.
Lemme look into it real quick.
We don't even know they are botnet contributions, but it's safe to assume. Why else would the Google company contribute something.

>Then why does it do all that other shit?
Because software isn't limited to a single thing. What is wrong with you?
>Is it though?
Yes, if you aren't stupid.
Source?
Why?
Any bleeding edge, rolling release distro is just as susceptible to breaking as Arch, and even then it is rare.

I can't find a source.
Maybe my friend was full of shit.

Surprise, surprise.

Do it, just don't use archfi or other quick installers because that devalues the time i spent on it my first time

I'm looking forward to install linux on my macbook pro. I already installed arch in others computers, what are the real advantages of installing Gentoo?

I have never experienced issues with systemd.

>Because software isn't limited to a single thing. What is wrong with you?
My toaster doesn't need to be a calculator it's supposed to toast bread.
>Yes, if you aren't stupid.
So you don't have a real question. Got it.

>My toaster doesn't need to be a calculator it's supposed to toast bread.
If you can handle many things well with one piece of software I don't see the issue.
>So you don't have a real question. Got it.
You admit to being stupid, then?

Not that user, but Jesus do you ever dance around admitting you know nothing about init systems.

>If you can handle many things well with one piece of software I don't see the issue.
Just because something can do 2 things that doesn't mean it can do those 2 things well.

>You admit to being stupid, then?
You sound like a smug moron. If you mean the speed of 2 inits against each other it's dependent on your setup. Systemd sucks on hdds but is fairly fast on sdds because it's optimised for them. I've installed debian stable and currently use void both on the same ssd. It was a difference of seconds 8 for void 11 for Debian. the only real way to tell would be having 2 different Gentoo installs with systemd and the init of your choice with vanilla tarballs and the build flags. You can make an init that has 6 lines of code so why does systemd need to be as monolithic as the kernel? Poettering has openly declined to fix known bugs in systemd. Frankly if Rhel wasn't devving Gnome 3 and systemd wasn't a depenency of said DE it wouldn't have been as adopted to the point of ubiquity. So why trust something like systemd given all that?

>but Jesus do you ever dance around admitting you know nothing about init systems.
You must be an expert, with your constant bitching about others not catering to your stupidity and complete ignorance of init systems.
>Just because something can do 2 things that doesn't mean it can do those 2 things well.
A pointless platitude that brings nothing to the discussion. Well done, you are officially the stupidest person on Jow Forums. Feel proud?
>You can make an init that has 6 lines of code so why does systemd need to be as monolithic as the kernel?
You know you're free to view the source code, right? You are aware of that? You can explicitly see what it is doing, so you don't need me to run you through it. Hopefully you're just trolling at this point, because you seem to be totally out of your element.
>Frankly if Rhel wasn't devving Gnome 3 and systemd wasn't a depenency of said DE it wouldn't have been as adopted to the point of ubiquity.
You can't back that up with a single fact. You are merely posturing at this point, and it reflects poorly on you.
> So why trust something like systemd given all that?
It's not trust. I like systemd because it works far better than its predecessors. You apparently either don't remember that. Try thinking before you post, you brainless cretin. You vile scum of the earth.

eww get your disgusting bloated precompiled binaries away from me!
you don't know true superiority when you see it

Attached: gentoo.png (753x784, 80K)

Yup
I did and it's easily the best GNU/Linux experience I've had yet.

don't be a bitch and install void

Attached: animetiddie.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

Attached: archnubs.png (627x627, 370K)

If you want to learn how shit works do LFS -> BLFS -> Gentoo or some shit. Arch sucks.

If you don't want to learn then just install Fedora. Fresh packages without the autism of rolling release and a sane default install.

This doesn't make sense. Arch and Gentoo aren't even similar.

If you want too. The most that'll happen is you'll get a vague understanding of installing a distro from the ground up, and it'll probably break a lot the first time around. If you're going for functional just do Manjaro. If you're just curious go ahead and try arch.

nigger, are you really in a dick measuring contest on how fast your shitty $400 craigslist laptop boots up? i thought you linux fags were all about uptime. now you want to talk about how quickly you can get into OS from POST.

fuck off with your moving goal posts and eat a fat dick.

also, sysV init is best.

Firstly, what the fuck is craigslist? Secondly, I have never heard anyone discuss uptime. You're off your rocker.

Third post is the best post

Attached: crux.jpg (189x267, 9K)

>not mentioning GNU Shepherd

>t.retard

Sorry for not knowing every obscure thing you care about, I guess.

no, don't jump. You have so much more to live for! Like.. uhm..
You know what OP? Just do it faggot, your time is worthless if you are contemplating it anyway

Kek

>installing a meme distro in 2018

You are retarded. I have been using Arch for 1 year now and systemd is unbearable. Use void with runit as init system. If you want to go full tinfoil-hat then install gentoo

>Bloated garbage
yikes

bumping

no, debian testing you fool

>Ubearable
>Didn't even list the reasons why
Try a little harder to fish for (You)'s f a m.

Sure. You will learn a lot. You will also grow tired of shit breaking and move to a distro that people actually use