Shouting ballot: Should Hiro add the VP9 to Jow Forums already?

Shouting ballot: Should Hiro add the VP9 to Jow Forums already?

Attached: 800-VP9.jpg (800x317, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nope.

/thraed

moving pictures are bloat

he posted it again

Why would you want to use a newer better format?

I heard 8 is a lucky number in gookland, that's why we must use VP8 forever.

Wont happen under that japkike

Add AV1 instead

I never understood why he didn't

it gives ppl a choice

here's the fun part: what if all VP8 webm were blocked tomorrow and only VP9 webm were allowed. now wouldn't that be fun, huh?

>he doesn't know about interframe compression

VP9 has larger filesizes in general, I'm pretty sure he won't. But having more options would be great.

vp9 was developed by google. Hiro doesn't want botnets here.

Attached: 1526307690511.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

As was vp8

Attached: 1504804824680.jpg (645x773, 56K)

>as was vp8

Attached: 1520112769479.png (235x215, 5K)

VP9 has lower filesizes for similar quality video user

>the 404 Not Found page says 2003-2015
I don't even think they have people to maintain the code

>tfw already missing moot
He could have been a fag, but since he left this place is getting worse every day.

*has been

VP9 is far more resource intensive to decode. Give it a few more years when technology widely has hardware decoding capabilities for VP9.

This.

>No botnets
>Every post requires you to perform several botnet training operations.
???

the filesize should be 2MB max on blue boards. ban all phone posters

Attached: 1533080783794.jpg (316x350, 16K)

>ban all phone posters
Try it all you want, but it will never be 2007 again.

VP8 makes more sense as a web codec. Its incredibly cheap to decode, its still relatively tiny for the quality you get, EVERYTHING supports it by default, and everybody has already started amassing content in it.
VP9 is higher quality with lower size at the cost of increased decode requirements and thats a big web no-no. Its also not as widely supported and mobile devices will have a much worse time with it.

The real kicker is that everybody has already encoded all their shit to vp8. Its like how webp and a dozen other formats are vastly superior to jpeg, but nobody fuckin cares cause nobody supports it and theres no content.

Nobody gave a fuck about VP9 because we all knew AV1 was coming. Decode requirements with hardware are small. If you don't have hardware you're better off falling back on VP8 or h.264.

Who?

Add h.264 or HEVC

This. Actually I'd go farther and say he should remove support for webms and animated gifs. Or limit them to only /gif/ and /wsg/.

>thats a big web no-no.
Youtube uses it.

>should remove support for webms and animated gifs.
You don't have a problem with photo gifs?

They re-encode the videos so that literal pajeet made brainlet players can correctly support them

Yep, totally
also, he should re-encode pictures posted to decently sized PNGs on selected boards
I'm tired of seeing people postan 3mb reaction images

>re-encoding anything serverside
Nice way of fucking over the hash detection system

>EVERYTHING supports it
Except iOS/macOS

>talking about AV1
>in 2018
I would prefer to removing GIF instead of getting AV1.

You can also reuse the re-encoded images instead of having always new shit uploaded

It's a suboptimal format, but I'd be okay with any static image format being supported really. The "It doesn't move" is the important thing.

I know a website that does this, it's incosistent bullshit jew practice for reducing maybe 1-2% of storage space capacity and makes user experience ten times worse because of it

>Try it all you want, but it will never be 2007 again.

It's really not hard. All they need to do is ban the IP ranges of the cell towers. They already do this is you abuse phone posting enough but it only lasts 30 days sadly. What gookmoot needs to do is just do a perma ban on all ranges known to be for cell networks.

>All they need to do is ban the IP ranges of the cell towers
Many people use mobile connections for everyday online usage on PC so that's not a good idea

With all my respects, why?
People probably upload the same stupid wojack 100 times per minute on different threads, so I guess caching the result could lead to lesser image limits, and also better bandwidth because of the re-encoding
I respect wallpaper fags having their 4k uploads, but every single day you have people uploading ancient internet explorer saved images with little to no compression
Mobile fags would benefit from that
ofc, I don't expect any of these from happening, and we are probably ranting without much knowledge of what is going on

I'd go even farther and say he should remove support for colors in images. Only black and white images. No this Jow Forums /lgbt/ gay rainbow colors, thank you!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

Yes, because Nvidia Pascal already supports VP9 hardware decoding, Intel Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake & Gemini Lake supports VP9 hardware decoding too

Since Jow Forums won't raise the 3MB file size limit anytime soon, using VP9 can give better image quality and lower file size due to more efficient encoding

So you're saying that VP9 shills are intlel and novideo shills?

E i g t h has MPEG4 and VP9. You should go there.

No, don't put your words in other people's mouth

Also AYYMD garbage is too lazy or incompetent to implement VP9 hardware decoding, that is their loss, does not concern anyone else

This.

If you want video file discussions, go to fucking youtube.

Attached: 1500222812419.png (244x274, 81K)

>But much browser compatibility
More like they gookmoot is just incompetent

oh, I'm sorry. Everything THAT MATTERS supports it.

>far more
Not at all.
Encoding is slow, but decoding is not. The fact that even Youtube uses VP9 (non-exclusively) should give you a clue. They wouldn't do that if it caused problems with normies.

That would be retarded given that early next year AV1 will be in a good enough state for wide web usage, which in turn is a much better codec.

Might as well ask here.
Can you achieve a similar quality/size/speed ratio with libvpx-vp9 as with libx265 while using constant quality mode? If I try to get the same encoding speed I end up with larger files or an inferior quality. If I try to achieve the same quality/size ratio it ends up being so slow that it's almost unusable (I'm talking 2-0.5 frames per second).

Of course. It will either save space or improve video quality.

It only works when a server stores everything uploaded to it. It's really pointless in case of Jow Forums, where images are constantly wiped.

Isn't it every two to three days? Still a huge safe

We're using google captcha

It will work on my phone so why not. Longer videos with sound would be nice too.

bumping