/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Holy Shit It's Almost Friday Again Edition

Attached: yasss queen.jpg (1280x720, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

realtek.info/pdf/alc880.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=QDxLRcOX7yY
audeze.com/products/microphones/planar-magnetic-microphones
youtube.com/watch?v=iq5SnhnKNuQ&list=PLf3SoRtm0y5bHWpD87YaI0aQv9GT4eqVz&index=4
hififreaks.nl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28.0;attach=4824;image
tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/audio/versterkers/tda7492p-2x25w-audio-versterker-met-bluetooth-4.0
arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference
youtube.com/watch?v=CLLiKSEiEKI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Le Olde Thread

Attached: Sonetto.jpg (1775x1182, 226K)

Attached: Famous NS10.jpg (640x512, 157K)

Attached: 1449193907756.jpg (1500x964, 175K)

Best dac comming through

Attached: Realtek_ALC880_on_ASUS_A6Ja_20100709.jpg (1024x768, 224K)

No I actually mean hump. It used to be a dip, but the modern British speakers often have a hump in that range.

The NS10s used to be known for being great at translating mixes to consumer speakers, but I wonder if that still holds true now. I'm sure now people hate those because they got so popular, but I wonder what good representative speakers are now that people are so often listening on puny bluetooths. Really on average the quality of peoples speakers is probably worse now.

realtek.info/pdf/alc880.pdf

>Page 78
BCLK Jitter
T jitter: 2.0 ns

Not bad.

Attached: 00J0J_6WlUM8tQMqo_1200x900.jpg (675x900, 67K)

I really hate all this cabling shit. Its disgusting.

That must sound so sweet reflecting off those glass panes.

Attached: download.jpg (3924x2616, 2.87M)

youtube.com/watch?v=QDxLRcOX7yY

audeze.com/products/microphones/planar-magnetic-microphones

Thoughts on this mic?

Attached: ADZ_Stage3_Product_VRMic.jpg (1000x976, 273K)

How is the ELAC Adante?

Same thought I have on every microphone. "go listen to it" you can't trust anyone's reviews of any microphones that cost real money. The situations are so vastly different, the use cases so vastly different and the variables so legion that it literally doesn't matter what someone else says on the topic. This is why you build a relationship with your dealer and engineers at various companies, they understand this and they will give you microphones to test.

(the above is assuming you aren't just collecting gear but actually using it)

ordering it now lol

sup gents, qx guy here

newest audio arrival, S.M.S.L AD18 Stereo AMP with bt4.2, spdif, aux, micro usb, internal dac and subwoofer out connection

got it for 75€ on ebay from smsl as refurbished.

you can't complain at all considering the price.

my denon 1600 NE just sounds a little bit more airy and less strained/stressed by heavy music parts so yeah i will probably sell it at this point cuz price/performance wise.. u get the drill

Attached: 20180803_104614.jpg (4032x3024, 3.24M)

>S.M.S.L AD18
Not tpa based: TAS5342A
Those are newer, right?

Attached: rs_DSCF3544.jpg (2144x1608, 288K)

Where can I get some of these cables?

Attached: audiowhyle.jpg (1280x853, 321K)

Realtek is generally not that bad.
But the circuit around the chip also matters a lot.

Though, to say this is the best dac is stupid.

Just make it yourself. Get some battery cable, techflex and terminations. Build up thickness using rubber hoses

What do you do with the stuff you buy when you are done with it? resell it?

Seems fun to try stuff.

dunno. it's rather recent though yeah.

tiny as fuck for the functionality you get, i believe a NAD C 326BEE would be an audible upgrade over it but for almost double the price.

my denon still makes a much more airy and dynamic sound but i can't deal with the size of it so i'm trying to sell it

i try to buy this shit as cheap as possible so i make profits on reselling, this way i get to try all this shit.

i will also receive the iloud micro monitors again, but hopefully a bit more glued together

Attached: 20180727_172705.jpg (4032x3024, 2.63M)

What are your strategies for selling and buying?

I have a bunch of camera equipment I want to sell, is eBay still the best way to nix stuff?

not that user but i used to sell stuff on craigslist but then had some really sketchy people at pickups and honestly unless you are in a good neighborhood it's better to just ship via ebay.

they rape you?

Skip this entry level stuff and go straight for superconductors.

my strategy is to not find time for studying and check out multiple stores for price drops all the time

and yeah, i also sell my stuff at ebay and ebay-kleinanzeige, a german craigslist derivate

What is the cheapest audio interface with at least 3 inputs that makes sense to buy?

behringer umc 404hd

ASRock motherboards

Listening to a phantom menacy audio commentary on some single driver jvc's powered by a bluetooth enabled class d board.

youtube.com/watch?v=iq5SnhnKNuQ&list=PLf3SoRtm0y5bHWpD87YaI0aQv9GT4eqVz&index=4
hififreaks.nl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28.0;attach=4824;image
tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/audio/versterkers/tda7492p-2x25w-audio-versterker-met-bluetooth-4.0

Attached: 13856764735_57e43e340c_b.jpg (886x1024, 398K)

the green ones btw

Does the commentary sync with the movie? I can't start it because at work.

Hey, what equalizer program should I use

For equalizing speakers? MiniDSP.

Ikea stronk (bork bork)

That wall paint is pretty nice with those accents, but yeah that tincan shit yikes.

EXTERMINATE

Attached: gradient-1-4-valkoinen-lattiakaiutin.jpg (700x800, 75K)

Attached: 1529521005444.png (331x260, 7K)

I sadly didnt get hold on some but my friend has still some in his home studio and i understand the popularity or nostalgic factor but the don't hold up to the ones he has from this time and date

thats a very odd system

There's another pair of speakers off camera if that helps?

where did you find those speakers?
and how do they sound

Attached: DSCN3659.jpg (530x348, 131K)

They pop up regularly on our local craigslist variant. I probably paid about 35 euro inc shipping.
I was curious about the single driver with rear loaded (small) horn thing.
Very clear mids, rolled of highs, not much bass but very clean. Can sound a bit 'hollow', I suppose that's the horn.

very interesting

Attached: AKAI-JET-STREAM-SW-30_diagram.jpg (235x298, 13K)

The front is glued, cannot take them apart without destroying them. So I can't check if mine have the alnico driver some are said to come with.
I'd like to hear some Zigmahornets.

I thought they all had Fostex drivers?

I'm not sure, I've read some have identical (looking?) Akai branded drivers.
And the Fostex can be an alnico (older) or ferrite (more recent) I believe.

iloud micro monitors. the most amazing speakers for their size

might fix my woofers tomorrow

Attached: Audio_Setup_Gross.jpg (951x634, 178K)

AHWW YES
SNIPPETY SNAP
REALTEK THE BEST DAC
YOU DISAGREE
ME GO KILLING SPREE
MISGUIDING GOYS
ILL GET MY OPUS BOYS

BUY EXOTIC DAC
NON-RETARDS GIVE YOU FLAC
YOU DEFEND YOUR NIGGER CHOICE
TRANSFORM INTO SOIBOIS

CONTINUE SELLING SNAKEOIL
FUEL THE TURMOIL
BELIEVE IN YOUR GOLDEN EARS
WHILE INTELECUALS KEEP GRINDING YOUR GEARS

KEEP SPENDING THAT DOSH
WHILE BROWSING ON YOUR OVERPRICED MACINTOSH

GLOBALLY REGARDED AS TRASH
YOU'LL KEEP SPENDING YOUR CASH
AS THE GOOD GOY YOU ARE
YOUR DESTINY IS CUM FILLED IN THE BACK OF A CAR

Should I buy the Klipsch R-15Ms? My options are limited and I should be able to get these for 170 usd + tax. (costs like 300 usd in my country)

Attached: nigga please.jpg (425x425, 24K)

yes

what kind of amp/receiver are you using

Onkyo A-9211

Can someone recommend a good automatic turntable? Sub 1k usd, would prefer new.

Attached: auto tt.jpg (500x500, 80K)

kek there are some really awful looking speakers.

They stopped making automatic/semi auto turntables for a reason user. Don't buy into it.

Okay then, I picked up a ProJect Carbon a while back, is there a good upgrade path for me? I've just been replacing the 2M red stylus.

I am considering getting Tannoy Reveal 502 (2 units, not sold as pairs) to use with my DAC and PC (and don't have room for anything much larger) after checking reviews.

Price is not an issue (can get at a fair price at my location).

Any advice?

Attached: tny-reveals.png (1280x720, 384K)

vintage Pioneer, Technics, or Denon.

Not sure where to ask this, do you guys know if waterproofing lowers audio quality?
I'm looking for a bluetooth speaker for my phone and I do not need waterproofing. When I search for bluetooth speakers the best reviewed ones are waterproof (JBL Flip 4 for example). Should I be looking for speakers that are not waterproof for better audio quality?

Attached: JBL_Flip4_Black_Hero.png (1605x1605, 1.27M)

Acrylic platter

friend had a JBL flip 4 and it sounded just fine

No

Attached: IMG_4794.jpg (1280x853, 127K)

>poo pcb

Yeah but who cares.

Attached: 1489865965012.png (666x666, 34K)

>not green
toy tier pcb

wtf

Attached: audiophoolCurtain.png (1500x964, 2.11M)

>tfw smartpone audio is as good as a $3000 audiofool dac

Attached: 1532191317680.gif (467x398, 70K)

I bought small Klipsch speakers last week: rb-51.
Using a horn instead of the usual dome tweeter allows Klipsch to crossover an octave lower than usual for these kind of small bookshelves.
On the upside, this prevents breakup from the stiff metal mid-bass cone to mess up the sound. On the other hand you get most of the critical midrange from a small plastic funnel.
The coloration from the horn is to me hard to discern if there is some bass in your signal mixing the cone sound and the horn. Higher register instruments without bass accompany (violin) that make you hear the horn solo: not so good.

Cabinet, magnets, filters, build quality are all at least decent for the pricerange.
Bass gets really bloated when placed near walls. Not in a nice way because they have surprisingly little upper bass punch (I guess because the port is tuned so low) and things get totally muddy.

Is MEG cardiod bass snake oil? Or there is real benefit? You will get reflections from all other surfaces anyway, does excluding just one at first reflection at bass range really matters that much? Still choosing what to buy from them, was going to try their manufacture with ME-25 or ME-100 but maybe I should just save money and get something big without the need to expand it with sub later.

>cardiod bass
First time I hear of cardioid bass. Lots of people discussing ways to position and filter cabs to get the effect. So it seems to be a desirable thing.

waterproofing means that the speaker has sealed ports which block water to some extent.

the drivers will still get in contact with water but this doesn't do any damage because bluetooth speaker cabinets are most likely closed if they don't feature a bassport

has nothing to do with audio quality

the jbl flip 4 is a nice speaker which has a bit sharp highs but sounds perfect for its size disregarded

There aren't many reviews of them on the net unfortunately, not to mention measurements, which are non-existant. I was really interested into the 502 when I was looking for a new pair of active monitors, but what kept me from buying them were the complaints of a lot of people saying that the speakers produced a very strong hiss. I know that this problem concerned the first batch, maybe things have improved since then?

don't listen to him he's a triple nigger.
If you want auto go vintage.

arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference
cardioid bass solves most of that problem and therefore gives you more freedom with placement so you can fight other problems.
either the acoustic pressure gradient approach of MEG (works pretty much like a cardioid mic) or some multi-driver DSP magic like the Kii Three both works really well, which is a point for MEG in my book.
Also FOH sound tech has been using cardioid subwoower arrays for decades to either control lf reflection inside venues to get a more even distribution of spl in the whole crowd or just to create a certain directivity at open air events to not blast all surrounding neighborhoods with omnidirectional bass

My research on that (after typing in Tannoy Reveal 502 issue on Google) led me to a forum where someone who claimed to have contacted Tannoy was told the issue only affects the early batches and that faulty speaker should be exchanged with the retailer under warranty.
Said email was copy and pasted there.

Unsure if true or not.

Well that is legit way of combating room effects then. Why dont more manufacturers do that?

the safest way to see if the new batch of Tannoy works as intended is to buy them from a site or a shop that lets you return them and get the money back in case something goes wrong. We're talking about cheap active monitors here, so a small hiss is to be expected. My Presonus Eris e5 have a barely audible hiss coming from the amp which I can hear only when I place my ear 5 cm away from the driver, so it's not an issue at all to me. If you're looking for front-bass-ported 5" speakers, I really suggest the Presonus. I'm absolutely satisfied with mine.

are you buying these because "muh shiny woofers" or because you like the sound signature because

i have an "amp" in this model line and its quite weak and

this is a spot-on review of the klipsch sound, which some people enjoy but which many people dislike

Or I can just place speakers a meter or so from the wall (cant do much more anyway, its not a dedicated room sadly, just a place where I live) and then take their sub to fight low freq cancellations then, interesting.

it's complicated to build, takes a pretty high internal volume to work well (makes an ugly, boxy and heavy speaker for the most part) and eats some sensitivity and therefore max spl (not that they're not fucking loud, but I've had a RL901k reach the limiter in a bigger room), so I think all of that pretty much resticts the MEG k-approach to the pro sector, also I think they patented it so it will take another couple of decades for others in the high end sector that might be interested in that kind of tech to even figure out and implement well.
the DSP based multi-driver approach though I can see work pretty well in all kinds of contexts, just take a look at the crazy DSP bending of the homepod and some other devices creating all sorts of directivity throughout the spectrum with ot without the help of some automated measurements to get rid of unwanted acoustical effects. I think we'll see this in a lot more speaker systems in the future.
as early as 2012 I talked to some guy developing crazy active noise cancelling 'silence'-areas for airports and trainstations and such by beamforming a huge array of globesources, that kind of DSP tech is developing and miniaturizing extremely fast.

Hell friendos Quick question is IT worth to buy a asus essence stx 2
7. 1?
Cars would be used with 600 ohm beyerdynamics headphones and a bose Sound system

Well, from the looks of MEG speakers they don't seem to care about how it looks. Their "home" models employ K-tech too, but their "home" models seem to be just "well we did some decoration to our pro speakers so your wife might accept it".

are you routing the bose speakers through your computer?

Yes through the mentioned soundcard when i'm Not using my headphones

I am buying them because, as I said, my options are really limited at that price. I would love to buy some Kef Q100 instead, but they aren't available in my country, and no one ships here (Norway).

Are these things I would even notice when I never have owned any hifi stuff before (except a couple of headphones and an amp I suppose)?

I would not buy those horns unheard if I could not afford getting rid of them in case of not liking their sound.

Guys, QX Guy here. i have some astonishing news today.

Shenzhen knocked at my door.

The DAC i shilled few days already from China, the Douk Audio arrived today.

top put it short, i'm speechless.
my iLoud Micro Monitors sound like tower speakers now

the imaging and resolution has expanded so much that it is irrecomprehensible to just explain it.

i have prepared a video for you guys to get a glimpse of the experience i felt. use headphones by chance

youtube.com/watch?v=CLLiKSEiEKI

Attached: 20180804_131703.jpg (1210x1613, 482K)

Are your speakers clipping all the time?

I can tell your PSU is not coping by the way the led dims on the beat.

Attached: 5232464-24.jpg (814x1280, 270K)

this was max volume possible which is pretty loud on nearfield, the clipping the dsp clip led showed was not audible on this track. the indicator is a bit inaccurate and grabs on wrong occasions. you can hear clips on mr carmack low frequency songs while the led indicator is not showing red

what were you using before?

Tried to.

Are there any really good amplifiers that are sold without any case, just as some diy kit? Something on LM3886 or like that probably to simplify process. Dont think I can do development from scratch myself but would like to save some costs by buying just plates and soldering them (or even buying preassembled if there is not much difference in cost with preassembled and just parts, should anyway be cheaper than full case). Really good measured, preferably not class D, around 100 W into 4 Ohm is enough.

gainclone

What phone are you using? The mic is a lot clearer than mine.
Otherwise it wan't much of a pleasant experience. A lot of echo in the room.