Steam Linux Use Dips Back Below 0.5%

GNU/Linux Steam market share was up to a whopping 0.74% back in July 2016 but now it's fallen way down to below 0.5%. Stallman and Torvalds are bankrupt and finished and there will be no GNU World Order.

Attached: 33b93fd243e2516f538497019cdb8a90710af1b9.png (1008x568, 849K)

The Indie bubble popped. Since they were the only real group giving a fuck about Linux besides Square and CDPR, that pretty much killed Linux Adoption.
Fuck it. I don't game on Linux. It's buggy, unreliable and not worth the hassle.

How do they count people who use the same account on both windows and linux? on the same or separate machines?

Attached: 1489541291952.png (736x598, 564K)

You can get multiple Steam survey requests in one day, so you can do it for every OS even if they're all one profile. I remember doing the survey for Windows, Linux, and Wine in one day.

Fuck games and fuck free software.

people who need to install steam on linux should just use windows. that's awful

This is because the type of people who use Linux are going to say no to Steam going to complete shit.

Honestly don't get the whole linux gayming ""crowd"". It is not free software so why not boot into windows anyways? Once the game is loaded up and in full screen, the OS doesn't matter

>things are shit anyway so why bother trying for any improvement?

i'll play devils advocate and say it's less of a bad thing.

I haven't received a survey request since 2013.
But honestly, with wine and DXVK I've been able to play the few modern games I like without much hassle. And if that "game steaming" thing from nvidia or someone else's that does it first ends up being remotely usable, I'll be using that.
Games are really not that important to me, so I wont have a hole OS only for that.

the only games i ever tried on linux was half life 2 and orwell
half life 2 had worse peformace than i did on the same machine on windows and the lighting was broken
orwell worked flawlessy
orwell is just a great game
play orwell

Attached: 1531551821011.jpg (750x746, 536K)

This is largely the result of Windows users becoming a larger overall percentage of the overall Steam user base, given a large influx of players from China. Though, yeah, Valve has kind of lessened up on their big Linux push, but there's still a ton of stuff happening behind the scenes. Valve's still doing work on the Linux graphics stack, they've said they're still committed to Linux as a platform, and they've said they've got a lot of stuff in the pipeline for Linux.

Ultimately, gaming is still growing on Linux, and with wine+DXVK getting so good, as well as projects like Looking Glass on the horizon, I'd say gaming on Linux is going to be in a really damn good place. It's really unrealistic hold Linux to this enormous standard of the game support that Windows has. The options you have to game on Linux are, frankly, really impressive, and I think make it a more attractive gaming platform than, say, MacOS.

I'm not sure if they've fixed it, but the Steam survey and other data collecting metrics have been known to be fucked for Linux users for a long time.

>why not reboot every time you want to play something?
Gee I wonder why people don't like to do that...

That's a good thing. Steam is proprietary malware that locks you in with intrusive DRM. It's mutually exclusive with freedom.

Dumb chinese are skewing the numbers.

>Rebooting
>Into a botnet os
>When you can just run steam inside firejail

Chinese don't use Linux that's why.

It's probably at least partially because most people that really care now are using a Windows VM and GPU passthrough, because it's easier than dealing with WINE and related for a lot of purposes. Which... still isn't very positive for the state of gaming in Linux, when the best answer is 'run another OS inside it'.

they will only count an account if the "steam survey" pop's up and you answer it. I've never done that, ever.

I am puzzled as to why on earth they have that "survey". It would be so simple to put some checkbox in the GUI saying [x] submit hardware data anonymously or something. Most people would probably fine if it was OS/CPU/GPU/RAM and other not exactly personal information.

It dropped because China joined the survey

>current most popular games are battle royale games
>most of them are not ported to gnu+linux
>the biggest one fortnite is not even on steams in addition to no gnu+linux port

>Stallman and Torvalds are bankrupt and finished and there will be no GNU World Order.
See, that shit ain't gonna fly

The reason for this is due to PUBG and Chinese surge. If you look at numbers, Linux might have increased but due to massive influx of chinks, they get dwarfed in terms of percentage share

I got linux and memorized all the shell utilities in 5 months, i didn't have any time for games in that time. Now i am learning about scripting

Just a few more hundred million chinks and poos logging on their pirated windaids.

Yeah people realized they need more software besides games. And Linux sucks ass at installing software.

You fuckers also think people use the software repository. I bet you think most people use the windows app store don't you?

What happens when ChromeOS starts to gain significant market share?

Microshit windaids? No thanks.

it's like people actually tried using linux and saw it was dogshit firsthand

>play on linux exclusively for 2 years
>boot on windows after all this time for some obscure reason
>get the steam survey right away

As far as I know Steam OS is still being actively worked on by valve, and apparently a major redesign of big picture is on the way.

I think valve are starting to take a more "wait until it's done" approach compared to the past where they did a launch beta see if it sticks approach

that's because not everything works with the linux client so some people use the windows one with wine

Based China.