/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1450189496881.jpg (2048x1536, 1.41M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com
marksanborn.net/linux/turn-off-gnome-animations-and-hide-window-contents-while-dragging/
linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/not-able-to-disable-show-window-content-while-dragging-596011/
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891434)
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/379774/grub-installation-failed
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=168516
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Configuration
ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnuzilla/52.6.0/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_(Unix)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first rule of GNU/Linux Club is: You do not talk about GNU/Linux Club. The second rule of GNU/Linux Club is: You DO NOT TALK ABOUT GNU/Linux CLUB! Third rule of GNU/Linux Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: no shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: Fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at GNU/Linux Club, you have to install Gentoo.

guyhnooo slash lineucks

Attached: 1533174473702.png (740x560, 773K)

why is that PC in the background running windows xp

it's a kde theme :*)

I made A1.
̇͜>̇

A thread died for this.

I made d4

Maybe the owner is a normie.

install Worker file manager

> Until around 1998, my office at MIT was also my residence. I was even registered to vote from there. Nowadays I have a separate residence in Cambridge not far from MIT. However, I am rarely there, since I am nearly always travelling out of town.

Attached: 1384929144501.jpg (2048x1536, 696K)

How do I make my Linux look less like MacOS and more like "holy shit is that guy a hacker"?

Ctrl+Alt+F1

remove xorg/wayland
then run this command: find /

reddit.com

Linux is a kernel.

Any normal DE with a dark ,flat, materiel theme. Or just use a WM.

Attached: 2018-08-03_10-25-09_.png (1920x1080, 264K)

A birb!

Now give me a serious answer

Fuck off, retard.

what is the best linux app for windows?

Attached: 1531903266595.png (843x691, 53K)

rm

Aside from memes, why Gentoo? I mean it isn't even approved by FSF as being fully free

GuixSD is the new Gentoo

Source based distro means you can configure every application to compile with the features and compiler flags you want rather than being at the mercy of package maintainers.

In order to please everyone, package maintainers compile in basically all supported features even ones you will never use.

Gentoo has unmatched configurability for this reason.

Can i install a desktop wm/de on my phone like kde or i3?

I'm learning linux so I decided to get ubuntu minimal and install only things I really need, everything is working smooth so far, except for:

- Some programs don't run while trying to open via dmenu, only when I use sudo on my terminal

- I have no sound at all, what I need to install to make it work? Alsa, pulseaudio?

Kind of job related but does anybody here know what employers mean when they list UNIX or Linux experience on a requirements page? I use Debian on my laptop but I just use it as a general OS and browse the internet for the most part. The most complicated things I do are compile some C program or ssh and edit a config file in vi.

Attached: 1531606197958.png (1127x685, 37K)

b a s e d

Attached: 1530550864244.png (814x576, 257K)

The command line is what they mean. Because if you're interacting with any servers at all you can bet it's going to be some unix-based box over ssh.

On a somewhat related note, how do Windows fags even use Git? Do they have a command prompt version or some GUI interface for it? lol

Your phone is just a computer, so yes.
But also your phone is made by companies who don't think you even know what a computer is and have gone to great lengths to make sure it's impossible for you to do anything they haven't pre-planned, so no.

using git on windows means you're using PuTTy

lol ghey

>Windows XP login screen

Attached: 1533270275297.jpg (480x424, 14K)

No god please, no

Attached: no.jpg (324x321, 11K)

Can your desktop environment do this? I have never seen this functionality on any desktop environment before.

Despite the fact that I have a pretty nice PC, I always keep the "show window contents while dragging" option disabled on Windows 7. I hate the way a window looks as I'm dragging it around, it looks all muddy and sometimes there are weird graphical defects trailing behind it. I think snapping a window to a new place by dropping a clean outline of the window to the new position is much more cleaner and aesthetic, not to mention more efficient with system resources as it isn't redrawing the window and its contents constantly as I'm moving it.

Attached: Show window contents while dragging.jpg (631x678, 139K)

That's an interesting feature that I hadn't thought about before. Out of my own interest I just found these:
marksanborn.net/linux/turn-off-gnome-animations-and-hide-window-contents-while-dragging/
linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/not-able-to-disable-show-window-content-while-dragging-596011/

So apparently you can do it in gnome or kde. I wonder if there's a way to patch that option into i3.

That's great. Glad to see you can do that on those. Can you disable it in Budgie?

Hello, friends.
I'm this guy ( ) from previous thread. I finally figured out how to solve my problem.

I leave this for posterity in case anyone has the same problem I did, so you don't have to go hunting for answers in a wild goose chase. This concerns you if you're on Debian Unstable (Sid) and use EFI booting.

Turns out bug #891434 (bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891434) reported on Feb of this year is exactly what happened, but apparently it only affected me until now because the dummy variable dumps only filled up until now. Windows updates had nothing to do with the problem, it was simply a bug in the code for grub-efi-amd64 that was causing it to fill up the variable space and thus rendering it unusable/unseen by the firmware.

To solve it, the steps are actually very easy (even a brainlet like me could do it - and hey I learned about some things in the process, like how useful chroot is)
>Boot into rescue mode with a debian install USB
>Select root partition (in my case it was in an LVM, with a separate /boot and /boot/efi - so it prompted me to mount them and I did)
>Go to installer shell, do (otherwise this module isn't detected in the chroot we're gonna do):
mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>Chroot into /target (which is our root directory), do the same thing as above, now it will work. (Now we do it because otherwise grub reinstallation fails due to "No such directory"
>Now it gives you the "No space" bug that was reported. Delet the dump files
rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*
>Reinstall grub-efi-amd64

And you're done ! Now the computer boots into grub at startup automatically.

Resources I used:
>unix.stackexchange.com/questions/379774/grub-installation-failed
>bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=168516

Attached: 1526482298657.jpg (362x447, 62K)

i3wm or herbstluftwm

I have a VM where I just have a root account. Occasionally it will show a message like "root has logged off" to all the other windows in tmux. How to disable this pointless message?

Someone had some issues with Neofetch lately? For some reason the option -screen stopped working, although my scrot works out of it.

So I got a new laptop with much more recent hardware than I'm used to. I went to my go-to (Antergos because I'm too lazy to install Arch), but it does not seem to like the hardware. Nouveau, Nvidia, doesn't matter. I can't get it to boot (I can get the LiveCD to boot and install if I modprobe Nouveau).

Until I feel like figuring it out- what Distro is good for newer hardware that I don't have to mess with? The laptop has a 7700HQ and a 1050 Ti.

Or, if anyone has any experience, why can I not get Antergos to work in anything with graphics. I see on Windows that I have Intel graphics options too (This just dawned on me). Do I need to do more than modprobe nouveau to make this work?

>someone sacrificed his bribs innocence to distract rms so he won't notice the computer running XP

This is both, cute and devilish.

I suggest either:

1) Using an AMD GPU
2) Waiting until nvidia grillforce GTX (GetTheXtinguisher) cards are decently supported under GNU/Linux

Can I stream from udp with mpv? I have this stream udp://@239.8.0.3:1234 that I would like mpv to play but when I type mpv udp://@239.8.0.3:1234 it says it's playing but the windows does not pop up. I also tried dragging the url into the gui but no luck. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've only ever used mpv to stream local files.

Attached: 50128.png (256x256, 57K)

Not to be mean but did you read my post? It's a laptop, there's no way to shove an AMD card in here.

Nvidia proprietary drivers work just fine, they work just fine on my 970 in my desktop

How well do GNU/Linux distros run on Ryzen/Vega laptops? Any glaring bugs?

Attached: 20180803_122404.jpg (388x556, 121K)

I think vega doesnt have graphics yet, or maybe only in the absolute neweest kernels. If you get a distro off of the internet it probably doesnt have such a new kernel to even support vega, just guessing

i can't reach that address just in general

For some weird reason portage refuses to install Intel drivers for Xorg on my thinkpad (probably something related to uclibc but I failed to find a solution by googling). So I installed framebuffer driver for Xorg and it actually works quite well. Am I missing out on something by not using intel drivers?

Try to use a search engine which respects your privacy.

How do I save the changes that I've made to the settings of my Synaptics touchpad? I really don't want to have to type in sudo synclient TapButton2=0 after every boot.

I do, I use searx. I am just to used to saying "googling"

*too used

How are intel iGPUs drivers?
Currently running a cheap HP with a A8 9600p, but planning on getting a Latitude, which only have intel.

Run something with a newer Kernel and you're good. (openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch, Manjaro, Solus,...)

They are great. Unlike nouveau they are easy to install and I haven't encountered any issues with using X with them. I was even able to reencode 1080p H264 to HEVC on 4x speed using i6700k iGPU and ffmpeg

On par with AMDGPU?

For the CPU side some stuff for Ryzen only started working properly in 4.10. Which is conveniently just newer than the 4.9 LTS that several distros settled on. There was an intermittent hang while idle, I think that only got fixed in 4.16 or something. Was related to cores not waking properly from the lowest sleep states. I think graphics are supported through AMDGPU like regular desktop GPUs, in which case various bits of the puzzle came in around the same time, 4.15-16.

If you aren't gonna run a bleeding-edge distro to begin with, you should install your distro and then go grab a mainline kernel for it. You may have other problems, I put Debian stable on my Ryzen with a Vega 56, upgraded to a current kernel from backports, and thought I was done. Then some games failed to work. At all, black screen, seemed to load, then hung eating all of one core, with nothing on stderr. I spent a few hours looking for anyone on the internet with similar symptoms and found nothing. Said fuck it and switched to testing, everything just werked. Obnoxious, but the price you pay to use new hardware.

i915 and amdgpu are both extremely good drivers, with i915 probably being slightly better.

No I am using iGPU only

Can Jow Forums help me get my wifi drivers working on Fedora? It shows up on lsusb as a realtek RTL8811AU, and there are some github with the driver, but I'm lost on how to install/download it.

Attached: 1533188037854.jpg (1073x1073, 171K)

No shit.

Good to hear that. Still kind of sucks that there are barely any Ryzen Laptops.

Holy shit user, my fan's been getting raped for the past two hours. When does it stop?

Like really, how do I check that make hasn't resulted in an infinite loop? What I'm seeing doesn't look like progress.

Blog Post:
Upgraded from Xubuntu 16.04 to Kubuntu 18.04. Find KDE to require more clicks to get to places than XFCE.

Depending on your cores, a browser can compile for 1-10 hours.

>clicks
This is how I know that you're a pleb. Switch to GNOME, master the keyboard, and be happy.

Put it in your autostart.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Configuration

i3 is a primarily tiling window manager and you never move windows around with that, idiot.

Firefox takes like 10 minutes to compile on my 1700

Stallman using windows XP.
What a pseud.

>with i915 probably being slightly better.
Intel only provides free-as-in-freedom drivers, so of course they are full-featured and grade A.
If there is something I commend shilltel for then it's their free software graphics drivers.

Why did you make him sad :(

Alright, I've finally build GNU IceCat. Now I've just got to figure out how to install the fucker. The pdf suggests 'Make install', but that throws so many errors that I can only assume that it's the wrong thing.

checkinstall would be better; it creates a package and installs it for you, while make install simply moves the files around.

Also, test your build. Search the binary and tun it.

I can't even find the fucking binary.

Oh, and for make install you need superpowers.
>sudo make install
or
>sudo checkinstall

>intel drivers good
Do you have any data to back that up? Just because they work, doesn't mean they're good. Look at the X DDX driver. That hasn't seen a release in years and probably will never again.

That just caused more errors. Mostly about missing pictures.

Learn how to package software.

yeah but sinking a week into configuring your system seems irresponsible

I'm trying! But holy shit, I just wanted a good browser.

What exactly your problem with the GNU provided binary icecat builds again?

How do I allow a user to modify files or folders created by soneone else? I'm running Debian and use Transmission as my bittorrent client of choice however all directories created through the client are owned by "debian-transmission" which also seems to be a group...? Output from id debian-transmission says this:
uid=114(debian-transmission) gid=120(debian-transmission) groups=120(debian-transmission)

I have a user called samba which I use to login remotely from a computer running Windows. This is the output for id samba:

uid=1002(samba) gid=1002(samba) groups=1002(samba) ,120(debian-transmission)

As you can see the user seems to be added to the group so I assume it should have the same permissions as debian-transmission itself but that doesn't seem to be the case. Do you have to take any other steps to enable file creation, deletion etc. from Windows Explorer? I use the samba account when I connect to the server through my mobile phone to watch stuff through VLC but perhaps you're not connecting from the same account when using Windows Explorer...? Which user should I add to be able to delete folders directly from the Explorer file browser?

Thanks

Attached: 310d848406dc2ab726e37bca692531e9.jpg (650x651, 103K)

>As you can see the user seems to be added to the group so I assume it should have the same permissions as debian-transmission
it has the group permissions, but not the owner permissions.
have you checked you directory structure permissions? is the group allowed to do shit or only the owner?

If I check the folders from a VNC client it displays that they are owned by debian-transmission and anyone can view/access content but only the owner is allowed to change content. I'm very new to GNU/Linux so I'm not really sure what I should be doing. If I edit the parent folders permissions so that everyone can change content it is only applied to the parent folder itself and not the folders beneath it, nor are newly created folders (created by the BT client).

tl;dr How do I apply ownership changes to ALL sub-directories, present and future, as well as the parent directory?

I can't find them.

ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnuzilla/52.6.0/

anyone?

>owned by debian-transmission and anyone can view/access content but only the owner is allowed to change content
well you should make sure the group can as well. learn about linux file permissions en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_(Unix)
they have permissions for owner / group / others. user debian-transmission is not the same as group debian-transmission

recursive chmod.
$ man chmod
or just google "linux permissions tutorial" or some shit.

>present and future
newly created files/directories inherit their permissions from the parent directory, so once you change everything there shouldnt be a problem

Stop recommending Google.

I use google as a verb even tho I use searx.me or bing whenever possible.

umad?

>he does it for free

sound:
1. install alsa-utils
2. as root run alsactl init to initialize your card with default values
3. optional: run alsamixer to set volumes
4. optional: install pulseaudio. I highly recommend installing pavucontrol if you decide to go pulse.

Note for pulse: since a half year or so the defaults for starting pulseaudio has changed. Back then the daemon was started automatically when the first program tried to use it. Now you have to run pulseaudio -D manually, add it to your autoruns or change your etc/pulse/client.conf and enable autospawn=yes