What's the point of 8K and beyond?

We'll soon reach the maximum capacity of what people can see with the naked eye. Nobody's gonna want to buy movie theater-sized TV screens, so what's the point of developing this any further?

Attached: Frames.png (1397x779, 292K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=swP_xrcSlww
store.steampowered.com/news/38412/
techreport.com/r.x/2017_11_29_Here_s_a_first_look_at_the_battery_life_of_HP_s_Ryzen_powered_Envy_x3/dxva.png
youtu.be/n1GgzZe_x24?t=5
blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/
blurbusters.com/strobe-crosstalk-why-ulmb-works-only-at-120hz-or-144hz/
asus.com/support/FAQ/1014609/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

16K will be the last resolution unless they come out with something like holographic displays

tfw no 8k 24" 144hz

Attached: 1531579936834.jpg (1024x576, 61K)

16k is behond pointless besides hugw huge displays

>Nobody's gonna want to buy movie theater-sized TV screens

This. Is op suggesting we won't and don't already have whole rooms dedicated to movie theater sized shit. Hell we have a room dedicated to shiting and meaning ourselves. Who's to say it won't be normal like a living room or a guest room or something.

>play arma 3
>enemy starts firing 2 miles out
>cant see shit
>literally pointing my guns in pixels

You need to know when to stop, guys.

>bought 4k monitor
>1080p scales up blurry
>4k UIs in games are microscopic
>half the shit I use doesn't support UHD and has to be upscaled in a blurry mess

I should have bought 1440p. The thing that really stuns me is that I can't even do nearest neighbor upscaling on 1080p.

Feels like YIFY already demonstrated that we have hit the wall with bit-starved 1080p

Tfw no Galaxy s9 with 16k screen

>Nobody's gonna want to buy movie theater-sized TV screens

12feet by 6ft isn't movie threater sized

That is a lie. Upscale everything to 200% and 99% of apps and games look amazing

subliminal programming

Same shit happens on my 2560x1600 display.

Motherfucker, Steam didn't add 4k support until a couple of months ago, nevermind most of the games on it.

This, basically.
I got a 4k monitor, always end up playing at 1440 anyway because I can't tell the difference and my graphics card starts screaming if it tries to do 4k.
My bro got a 1440p 120Hz monitor. Looks and plays beautifully, I'm still jelly.

Yes, hence why it will be the last display resolution.

It'll be interesting to see what manufacturers do when it no longer makes sense to put more pixels in, I think we're already starting to see a little bit more product diversification in displays when it comes to HDR and refresh rate

that's.....disturbing

>buys a 4k monitor with a tiny screen

retard

27" is hardly tiny.

Retards will buy it on specs, just like 'audiophiles' do today

>using windows
LOL

I don't even get the point of 4K, I can hardly tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, see no reason for going over 1080p.

>24"
peasant

There's none, at least not for monitors and most if not all TVs. Same for refresh rate, going above 240Hz stops adding much. So for traditional panels you imagine there will be a cap on the raw specs at some point, though 8K at 240Hz is still a ridiculous amount of bandwidth.

>bought 1440p monitor
>1080p scales up blurry
>have to explicitly tell Windows to not try to upscale 3rd party programs
>every single Linux DE either scales up 2x which is gigantic or 1x which is tiny. KDE does something weird and is still too big at 1x scaling but can't go lower

youtube.com/watch?v=swP_xrcSlww

8K is simply better

my commodore had 64k and that was over thirty years ago. this is laughable.

Good video, very concise.

user there isn't even much point to 4k. The resolution improvement pales compare to the resources required...your framrate typically drops so much it's a worse experience anyway.

1080p is what you want. Extremely nice resolution without ass fucking your computer with no lube. Enjoy those insanely high frame rates and all the extra effects you desire with only a mid range graphics card and any decent CPU.

Or get 4k buy the most expensive everything and still only get 40 fps and have to turn settings down. Your choice really.

4k is already itself beyond pointless.

>buying a 4k monitor to game on
Games are too shut optimized for current gen gpus to run maxed out

>needing anything more than 800x600

Attached: 1485379319263.png (314x278, 129K)

thats nonsense and youre fucking stupid

Intel & Nvidia are 8K ready while some poo in loo company still stuck in the past, unable to decode 8K

Intel

Attached: dxva-checker.png (626x946, 50K)

Nvidia

Attached: 4KtqxA8.png (960x892, 50K)

store.steampowered.com/news/38412/
Last Updated April 4, 2018 with additional fixes.
Windows
Added high-DPI monitor support when running under Windows 10 with the 2017 Creators Update

Still SOL if you're using Windows 7. Hope you enjoy blurry forced DPI scaling.

Update your books shill. Intel is the pooland now

putting in details you cant' see but surveillance cameras can.

Are you fucking retarded?

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES garbage can't handle 8K at all

techreport.com/r.x/2017_11_29_Here_s_a_first_look_at_the_battery_life_of_HP_s_Ryzen_powered_Envy_x3/dxva.png

>Can't do h.264 at 8K
what's the point?

8K H.264 is non standard and is not ever defined in the H.264 standard

>standard resolutions in video codecs
lel you're an idiot.

you sound desperate

You're the one thats desperate, trying to defend a shitty dying bankrupt company with no vision :^)

>falling for ultra settings meme
Just set to high instead of ultra, get like 5% worse visuals at 2x the framerate

youre rather braindead huh
wonder if your meds contribute to your current state

go neck yourself, kid

4k is optimal for reading books with more than just normal text, e.g, japanese manga, scientific textbooks. Also you need less AA

you alright bud?

Currently I'd take high refresh rate over high resolution. I have the rog swift, 1440p@27inch and still need to scale it to 125% to see anything without strain.

You want 4k...for fucking comics?
Just buy fucking comics.

5K aka wqxga when scaled to 200% seems like the perfect resolution.

>What's the point of 8K and beyond?

40"-45" monitors with ~200 dpi.

The various 42.5" IPS UHD panels out there are current patrician tier for coding and general use, but they still:
- don't have 120+Hz support for gaymen
- have text/vector art as sharp as rMBP or 27" 5k displays

The former is getting fixed sometime in the next 12 months with HDMI 2.1/DP 1.3 compatible displays, but the latter is going to require normalfags to get suckered into buying 8k TVs for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics or BluRay 8k-PLUS/WHATEVER, then having the panel tech filter down to the ~40" display size, which is honestly rather too small to be useful for 8k at normal TV viewing distances.

human eyes cant see 45"

>human eyes cant see 45"

> youtu.be/n1GgzZe_x24?t=5

Attached: 1529028393190.jpg (600x600, 148K)

Until 2 years ago I didn't have any HD display, 1080p looks beautiful as far as I'm concerned

selling shit to normies

4k is great for productivity on a 28"+ monitor with an adjustable arm
Anyone who fell for 4k gaming deserves to be disappointed. I still just game on my 1080p display.

I game in a 2560x1600 window on my 43" UHD, and shit works out fine except for no 120/144 Hz yet.

A movie theater sized TV would be cool desu

My Monitor and TV are 4K, most of my media consumption is now 4K or 1080p remux

however most normies will buy a 4K TV, and consume 720p broadcast TV. At best they'll try Netflix 4K

16K displays will come and people will still be watching SD content bragging about how great it looks

fuck you its not pointless i want nice rendered fonts

Theres the required resolution to not see the pixels at specific distance, at what point does going beyond 1440p make sense to begin with? Lets say you use 27", why ever go 4k? Fonts? They seem really crisp on 1440p for me. You'd need to put your face 20cm from the monitor to see pixels so thats a non issue.

27" at 144hz is the end game in reality. Why render pixels that impact image quality almost none?

Is there any point in acquiring a display with more than 500 pixels per inch? What about VR headsets?

Imagine being this far behind in technology.

>confuses a standard with a codec
The idiot is you.

Had an early second-hand 1024x768 LCD display which lasted for almost 10 years. Now rocking on an 1366x768 display.

Please get off the tech board.

>wut's the point of 1024x768 and beyond
>no one will ever need more than 32kb of ram
>the human nose can't hear more than 27 frames per hour anyway

Attached: le serious cat..jpg (255x302, 21K)

Sure, I will do that as soon as the ThinkPad crowd excuse their way out of this board.

Well, if all you've got is some shitty iGPU then there really is no point in acquiring anything better unless it's pretty cheap.

>144hz
peasant
240 us the minimum enjoyable refresh rate today
I want 1000hz+ in the future

truly enlightened

>no ulmb at 240hz
>requires much more resources than 120hz ulmb
no thank you

>What's the point of 8K and beyond?
To get normies to part with their cash.

>needing anything beyond 240p NTSC

Attached: 1531729166729.jpg (300x261, 20K)

>Just buy fucking comics.
You and I both know he's not going to do that user.

manufacturers making money

>no ulmb at 240hz
?????
but there are 240hz monitors with that
for example benq 2540 can be enabled in the hidden settings
benq 2546 has dyac so its always enabled
and there are others
see blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

you can not use ulmb at 240hz
blurbusters.com/strobe-crosstalk-why-ulmb-works-only-at-120hz-or-144hz/
asus.com/support/FAQ/1014609/

dyac works, though, from what i could gather. but my other point still stands. 240hz requires too much resources for my taste and personally i have a hard time seeing a difference past 100fps anyway.

1080p would scale blurry on a 1440p monitor but there's no way it would on a 4K monitor because it's literally exactly double, unless you're doing a quarter-step DPI scaling like 125% or 150%.