Tweaking modern Linux GUI to certain looks

How do I get this kind of look on Linux?
I want this color scheme at least.

What do?
I am not suggesting of running CDE itself in Linux, thats just silly.

Attached: cde.png (1024x768, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/
cdimage.debian(dot
opendesktop.org/p/1231025
i.imgur.com/SVxlcXx.gif
mike632t.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/compiling-cde-on-debian-8-0-jessie/
xfce-look.org/p/1015448/
xfce-look.org/p/1229319/
xfce-look.org/p/1231025/
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Iris (fixed)?content=150069
gnome-look.org/p/1006689/
github.com/grassmunk/Platinum9
github.com/n-kremeris/irix-icons-linux
arnaud.fortier-family.com/fvwm/index.php?path=mirror/
xfce-look.org/p/1012423/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Xfce started as a CDE clone, and currently uses a graphical toolkit that can be tweaked with CSS

is it possible to make it look like this or are there limits how much it can be tweaked?

Get Xfce and some themes from xfce-look.org.

I have XFCE and it doesnt contain ready made theme that looks like this but I think I would be able to make my own theme after researching a bit how they are made

I'm a photoshop pro anyways so in the graphic sense it shouldnt be difficult

That just looks like CDE but with a purple skin. You can install CDE on most GNU/Linux distributions nowadays.

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

your mother is a kernel

"Running CDE on Linux is extremely experimental, has several known security issues, and requires some system modifications which are insecure. It is advisable to run CDE only under controlled settings (e.g. inside a VM) and never for real-life usage."

Try FVWM, it is a more modern WM that has CDE/MWM themes. At work they use it on Solaris and I believe they will be using it as they switch to Linux to keep the GUI looking pretty much the same for the end-users.

you can install CDE from sources on any linux distro (pic related, on my ubuntu install).
if it sounds silly but it works, it's not silly.

Attached: Screenshot 2018-03-31 15:48:14.png (1920x1080, 1.51M)

if you want something more moder with only an older look you can install a CDE GTK theme (there are several) on any gtk based DE.
here is my XFCE install with a CDE-solaris gtk theme and haiku icons.

Attached: Kazam_screenshot_00014.png (1920x1080, 315K)

sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/

Calling linux linux isn't confusing.
Calling it GNU/linux is.
While you at this, why don't you give credit to systemd and xorg?

Attached: Portrait_-_Denmark_DTU_2007-3-31.jpg (1683x1725, 1.32M)

Lol, GNU/Limerick!

This. If you want to try out the CDE theme, install FVWM-Themes and switch the desktop theme to CDE. I will recommend getting Xterm so you can launch programs, because the menu builder on FVWM-themes is cumbersome and slow.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

>the principal developer is the GNU project and the system is basically GNU
Oh, nice!
Where can I download pure GNU operating system?

I mean, with GNU kernel, of course, no need this linux bloat!
If it's GNU system, then I'll gladly use GNU operating system and just call it GNU.

Ubuntu, arch, debian, there are many distributions.

Attached: linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg (806x938, 303K)

Oh really??? All these distributions function without linux kernel?
Please, post a link to an iso so I could download non linux GNU OS!

Unironically, now, you can get Debian GNU/HURD and GuixSD GNU/HURD (This one is actually true GNU, as in made by the GNU project themselves with heavy use of Lisp BTW).
HURD is the GNU kernel, so any other GNU/HURD distribution is also completely GNU.

if you use XFCE have a look at the Mofit window manager theme along with I can't think of a way to get that really specific kind of highlighting around the text of the icons in the file browser in GTK though.

I forgot about this. Did RMS ever respond to that?

It's fake. To Torvalds the whole thing was a dead horse before G+ even showed up. Plus, Stallman does not even have a Google account.

Thank you user.
Now post a link to iso.

>I am not suggesting of running CDE itself in Linux, thats just silly.
Why?

the true fisherprice ui.

cdimage.debian(dot seriously hiro wtf)org/cdimage/ports/current-hurd-i386/
Select whichever is fit for your HW. Have fun, I guess.

When I tried this it appeared that it was no longer compatible with the newest version of FVWM

looks like something from 1994

it is actually even older, I suppose 1992

thanks for the icon set, didn't know haiku icons were ported to linux, I was using tango icons with CDE theme for a few weeks now but Haiku icons fit much better

xfce

Attached: 2018-08-02-164340_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.53M)

see opendesktop.org/p/1231025

I want that brick pattern and wallpaper plz....

i.imgur.com/SVxlcXx.gif

Attached: birb.jpg (1600x900, 1.63M)

thanks bb

RMS does have a google+ account and he explains on his faq how is accesses it. Its quite simple really.
When he wants to access a webpage, he emails the request to a server is a colleagues office (which running Win98 ironically). This server loads a copy of netscape and opens the webpage...a webcam in the same office takes a pic of the screen and emails it back to RMS.
Along the way a procmail / sendmail instance does a OCR scan of pic and voila the webpage arrives in text form to RMS happily sitting under his desk in the next office. This is a well-known best practice.

He used to post here on Jow Forums for many years until gookmook implemented captcha.

kernel is always better than /general/

Attached: female colonel sanders.jpg (183x275, 8K)

The ability to make the whole GUI look like some strange fever dream 80s/90s environment was the absolute icing on the cake when I packed my shit and left Windows after 7.
Don't give a shit if it sounds incredibly autistic, It just feels so fucking great to leave all that current design faggotry behind. I couldn't stand it anymore and it just got progressively worse. Wasn't able to switch years back but since a couple months it works without any problems and it's been so fucking comfy ever since then.

Attached: 1478967867745.jpg (330x264, 19K)

I'm curious about getting this to work on my Debian install. Did you just follow the installation instructions from their SourceForge? Or did you have to do anything extra?

Wew lad. That's certainly one way to access the internet, it's like the fucking incredible machine.

It wasn't implemented in solaris until 1996..it died by 2000. Nobody liked it.

Install CDE

it's dangerous to go alone
take this

Attached: SolarisLogo.png (113x88, 1K)

VUE came out around that time, CDE hit production a year later in 1993.

How do I get a CDE theme like OP's going in Q4OS?

Pic related, Q4OS with XPQ4

Attached: Q4OS XPQ4.jpg (1152x864, 118K)

Should also add it's currently running Trinity (TDE?)

>citation needed

He literally says in his website that he doesn't have a google+ account and everything that gets posted there by "him" is fake. He also says he doesn't visit Jow Forums because it's "home to right-wing bigots", and that he has never posted here.

Directly from his site, where he describes how he does his computing:

>I do not post on Jow Forums. I have nothing against it in principle, but I am told a lot of the posts nowadays are right-wing bigotry which I condemn totally. I have occasionally answered questions for interviews for Jow Forums, but I have never posted anything there. Any posting there that says it is by me is by an impostor.

>I have never had a Facebook account , or a Google+ account. Some impostor created a Facebook account using my name. The page is not mine. The Google+ account using my name is also not mine.

post this theme please

i can't find a good download link for cde-solaris gtk. all the pages on xfce-looks are deleted

Attached: 0033.jpg (960x540, 79K)

Xorg is not necessary, neither is systemd. Those are pieces of software that work with GNU/Linux.

Neither is GNU

For the GNU operating system? Yes it is.

I use the motif window manager and there are CDE themes on Gnome-Look, that look actually good.

>I am not suggesting of running CDE itself in Linux, thats just silly.
Why? It runs well. Used it as a primary DE on my Slackware and it did everything I needed.

That's from around 2012 when it was first released. Nowadays it's all patched, even the insecure rpc got fixed.

mike632t.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/compiling-cde-on-debian-8-0-jessie/
It was made for Jessie, but it should work just as well on Stretch, except one or two packages that were removed but you don't even need them IIRC.

xfce-look.org/p/1015448/

xfce-look.org/p/1229319/

xfce-look.org/p/1231025/

Not the guy who asked but thank you as well!

Other than that, there is a great "retro" tile background repository on github called "tiles & such".

This is the Motif Window Manager, with the CDE-HP-Unix GTK-Theme on Debian.

Attached: 2018-08-04-121459_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.06M)

maybe search on trinity-look.org

>lying on the internet

I lost it yesterday when I reset my cache, I forgot to backup

Attached: intellingence-below-average.gif (540x540, 1.67M)

some more ressources for retro-desktops

Irix icons

gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Iris (fixed)?content=150069

irix-gtk

gnome-look.org/p/1006689/

classic macOS icons and xfwm theme, fonts and wallpapaers:

github.com/grassmunk/Platinum9

Attached: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f54334b727843762e706e67.png (1440x900, 443K)

also this

github.com/n-kremeris/irix-icons-linux

(more complete irix-based icon- theme)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1510180193407.jpg (480x411, 28K)

nice

Hell, yeah. Xfce surely makes it easy to setup these fake-retro desktops.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-04_14-13-32.png (1920x1080, 595K)

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'.
The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were
the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler.
Those are fine and inspired products.
GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS,
and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later).
He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends.
Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux?
Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you.
You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff.
The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so.
Linus has spoken. Accept his authority.
To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

Does anybody have the old QNX icons? I’ve been searching for them for ages.

Attached: F7317214-9B97-4307-8467-FFC8C179FB88.png (2560x1024, 689K)

Embrace the command line.

Where can I download the haiku icon set?

The problem with this argument is that GNU/Linux cannot function as an operating system without GNU or Linux. It can function without X or without KDE, for example. Of course, systemd confuses my argument because modern Linux systems basically require it. Maybe it's systemd/GNU/Linux

arnaud.fortier-family.com/fvwm/index.php?path=mirror/
bundled in the Taviso FVWM config, ripped by a retired Gentoo dev years ago

>GNU/Linux cannot function as an operating system without GNU or Linux
Alpine Linux functions without GNU just fine
>systemd confuses my argument because modern Linux systems basically require it
they don't
there's very little software with hard dependency on systemd and even that can be patched out (e.g. what FreeBSD does with GNOME), or there's a fork available (e.g. udev - eudev)

I'd recommend you to shut up and actually learn something about the OS... but then again this is Jow Forums

Attached: 1447450408361.png (266x189, 7K)

enlightenment16 maybe

Holy shit! Thank you so much familia!

xfce-look.org/p/1012423/

too glossy I'd say

Attached: enlightenment-0-20-509340-3.jpg (1366x768, 198K)

16 desu

>That just looks like CDE but with a purple skin.

Nope. That looks EXACTLY like default CDE on Solaris 7 or 8 or 9, possible other versions.