/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

>Boomer edition

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> Chat

Attached: boomer thinkpad unknown.png (577x387, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ambar.cloud/
github.com/Aanok/pmcli
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Repost from last thread:

What's the actual difference between BSD and Linux, or why should i use one over the other for my server?

About to setup a storage server that should download/record some shit while i'm at work. So far i just assumed Debian stable and be done with it but got recommended BSD. But why BSD? Will it even run usual stuff like ffmpeg without going through some setting loops?

Attached: so_annoying.png (1384x1496, 743K)

Bsd has no drivers and uses a so called cuck license, limiting its codebase growth since people just make proprietary forks.

What's the best NAS for basic sync and backup that retards and elderly people could safely manage without my help?

>>Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
>If you ask why then you don't need it.
All I want is a /general/ thread that doesn't have annoying smug language like this.

Which OS/Distro is best for home server?

Centos

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

>What's the actual difference between BSD and Linux, or why should i use one over the other for my server?
Linux is what almost everyone uses - where the hundreds of millions of USD in corporation's open source developer commitment goes.

BSD is the other project that wanted to have a non-copyleft open sauce license with no share-alike type of clause. Which means corporations and individuals would be helping the competition without necessarily getting anything back.

With regards to running a home server Linux has more drivers, more and better-performing features. And distributions may have more and better tested packages, but that varies based on the distribution.

I went with Gentoo and Fedora. The earlier is good only if you know what you're doing [or willing to learn until you do].

The latter should be okay for "everyone".

>tfw just spent 2k on servers/switches/firewalls
How much did your setup set you back lads?

>he doesn't self host his own google

ambar.cloud/

Attached: 57b535cf-8d64-4858-a763-2304a6fdebeb.png (900x540, 109K)

Thanks, debian it'll be then.

Attached: CiSb3P5WEAQY67s.jpg (1024x1017, 179K)

All in all, maybe 400~500€
Most Was bought used, obviously.

thinking of picking up one of those google search appliances second hand at auction, supposed to be a dell r710 under the hood, anyone know if there are dumb mods that google did to them that may make this a pain to use as a home server?

BSD is more old school unix like. less reinventing the wheel. Also you may find that out of the box zfs is better, though linux may have caught up here but it was a pain the last time i used zfs with arch a few years ago. but really i can whole heartedly recommend freenas, just fairly easy to discover features through the web based interface that I never really played with before (jails and zfs features). I love it.

Do people prefer to roll Thier own hardware or buy older stuff off eBay?

I don't really have the need for powerful hardware, plus I don't want something that is consuming a lot of energy.

i'm looking at business server hardware. I think business is more concerned with power savings and cost so maybe rack servers are better optimised for this. also you get a shit load of drive bays and ram capacity sure to make things flexible for the future despite maybe overkill for home...

Can FreeNas run some scripts (Python, Bash, Lua) or should i get a dedicated machine for those?

>OpenBSD 6.0 webserver VM works over internet
>reinstall OpenBSD 6.3 webserver VM to replace 6.0
>times out over the internet
What did I do? VirtualNIC settings? All addresses and ports are correct.

yeah for sure, it comes with bash, but what I would recommend is you set up a jail which is kind of like a virtual OS and run the scripts in there. you can install all the packages you like in a jail. you can also run VMs on freenas though I'm not sure what that's like as the hardware I am currently running on doesn't support hypervisors...

What would be the correct ordering to have all of these:
a) Partitioning to ext4 of two 1TB HDDs;
b) RAID1 on these HDDs;
c) LUKS encrypted;
d) GlusterFS to access my files over internet in a sane workflow setup.

Am I missing something? Or too much? I cannot find any info on running Gluster on RAID. Let's assume I don't use Gluster: is it RAID1 first, then partition and encrypt? Or vice versa - partition first, then mdadm it to RAID1?

I can also recommend Freenas. It’s been great so far. I’ve got plex and transmission installed so it takes care of all my home theater needs. It’s also easy to throw backs up on there and setting up an nginx jail was easy as fuck.

So, since Arch Linux is currently on Qt 11 and Plex Media Client won't work with that, I've been developing an essential command line Plex client for Linux.

It's still really rough and naive, but I suppose it is usable.
github.com/Aanok/pmcli

The interface works a lot like youtube-viewer.
It can't (yet) tell your server if you've watched a thing only partially, so it's pretty useless for seasonal shows. But as a ~lightweight music player sitting in the background I think it's pretty comfy.

Attached: CanonKaine.jpg (470x409, 58K)

Hello. I'm in need of making a secure way of transferring files on and off my home network.
Some friend suggested hosting FTP with FileZilla and pushing the traffic through OpenVPN hosted on the same machine. Is this a good option?

It'd transfer them over ssh/scp or use wireshark to virtually and securely get into your LAN and then just the full set of protocols you use in your LAN.

Hey that's actually pretty neat. Why are you using GitHub for a new project though?

filezilla is malware

Thanks. Have you had any trouble with the client? I have no idea for instance if it'll work for nontrivial network setups with proxies and stuff.

Also I use Github out of habit and because it's ultimately good enough for me. You can tell I don't care very much since >MIT license.

At work, so I just looked over the code out of boredom.

Fair enough. I'm just a bit surprised after everybody assumed GitHub the devilist thing imaginable the past months.

That would work. I just have OpenVPN and a network share on freenas

centos since is based on an actual non neet distro

yep, pretentious bullshit.
is obvious why would anyone want to host his own server, like it is that hard, retards

This is coming from a 'general' that advocates the use of pi's as file servers and other fucking garbage. These threads are a joke, save yourself the trouble and ignore them.

the only /hsg/ distro is Alpine.
prove me wrong.

>pi's as file servers and other fucking garbage
what would you use instead?

Attached: elon misk.png (575x413, 171K)

What's the lowest cost qnap that can be used as an htpc and play 1080p in Kodi?

Why are you here then?

bixnood fuck off

So Jow Forums, 5.25" SATA backplanes.

Horizontal or vertical drives?

With trays or tray-less?

>The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced.
Green drives have been rebranded to Blue years ago. Reds are a mixed bag, with the Pro variant basically equal to Black with slower spindle.

Anyone here intending to buy some 4TB Reds, do yourself a favor and avoid the older 1TB/platter ones like the plague, they're RMA magnets. The more recent 1.33TB/platter ones like the WD40EFRX-68N32N0 seem to be "ok", ask sellers for the exact model before buying.

>Toshiba (...) pretty good.
They're no better than Seagate, honestly. And the pricing proves it.

Something that actually has sata ports and proper ethernet ports that aren't shared?

Dont reply to bixnoods, hes seething so hard from getting BTFO so many times that he cant even help himself to not bump the thread even though he spends most of his time here but also wants it to die
Actual mental issues, no wonder hes a NEET collecting decrepit hardware

Thanks, i didn't know FreeNas was able to pull that off at all. Guess, it got everything i want pretty much covered then.

Why would you even buy new parts for a server when you could use these nehalem xeons? *sips*

Attached: 1530993406100.png (380x349, 77K)

False

Anyone used an Orange Pi for this kind of stuff? I want to make a home file server

Attached: 1532779513532.png (259x194, 86K)

I want a NSA homeserver

HPE Microserver (any gen), ODROID HC1/HC2, used LGA775 or newer (supermicro, xeons, and ECC RDIMM is cheap on ebay). You have many options suitable for that kind of stuff. Generic x86 and amd64 stuff is probably easier to deal with than the arm alternatives.

the one you love the most

>tfw no electronic dog so I can have a pet that isn't dirty and smelly

based and redpilled

Just finished setting up my Rock64 NAS.
It works very nicely on my gigabit network.

Attached: rock.png (1024x768, 891K)

I need some help with openVPN. I've set up a ddns using NoIP, and updated my config files accordingly. When I connect to my network using my phone it works fine, and I can access all of my services just by adding on the port. However, when using exactly the same config file on my laptop I can't access those same services. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm thinking about running I2P daemon on some single board computer. Which should I pick? Will 1gb be enough?

you're saying that implying there aren't any proprietary linux modifications/modules that people just don't know about

rock64 vs odroid xu4?

bump

Xu4 is the safer bet with more distros afaik.

I have 2k DVDs finally converted to digital
Want to run a media server for the house that doesn't use my network bandwidth (have a pretty low cap)
Also want it to be under $400

What do

Can I install a git server on it?

Of course

Gonna set up my raspberry pi as an OpenVPN for use when I'm not at home. Anything I should know

Attached: 96qiGIW.jpg (2722x3629, 797K)

Nas4free or OpenMediaVault.

Use a old pc or buy a Odroid.
FreeNAS is for scrubs.
FreeNAS uses 4-8 times more ram and the GUI has been changed twice in a year because the devs had a disagreement resulting in devs vocally leaving while NAS4Free has a very matured GUI for years and can run on 1GiB RAM.

Unrelated question, are there any programming boomer memes?

That's cool, thanks user.

PiVPN to set it up was pretty slick. Basically a script for the install and configuration of OpenVPN

>
>>Why would you even buy new parts for a server when you could use these nehalem xeons? *sips*
>based and redpilled
Nehalem Xeons are so cheap because I/O bandwidth on X58 is gimped. Pic related, look at the link between the north and southbridge. The entire system chokes when there's a lot of storage activity (even more so with SSDs). I suppose it's fine in your home "server", but you should know that the ceiling is rather low compared to modern boards.

Attached: X58_Block_Diagram.png (723x603, 126K)

I-i H-hope you paid for that blu-ray user
Is it a single drive? You using a media streamer on it or just file share

I've got tinnitus just looking at that.

what do you use it for?

>got 10gbe P2P
>*sips*

Now what?

Attached: 1533165819433.jpg (1707x2497, 978K)

A Freenas box w/EEC ram & UPS + Backups is about as good as you can get these days. The upshot is that building such box is not real expensive. Depending on how much data you have or plan to have the most expensive part of it all will be the drives themselves. Online backup is not real convenient unless you only have very small amount of data that must survive at "any cost". Mostly due to the "net" speed involved. Just think = try to upload all 12TB over net via your 1 meg upload limit would take you, well, I daresay a year, maybe more.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (1440x900, 271K)

>Nas4free
is it easy to make jails on nas4free? iocage in the base install?
I think you are wrong about the ram though, just zfs arc on my machine.

Eh....

I backup 1.5tb of semi-critical files (disk images/work/personal stuff) to backblaze, pretty comfy, cheap and only really a bandwidth problem for the initial upload.

I tried nas4free. Fooled around with it for half a day trying to get it setup just so. Finally said fuck it and installed Freenas instead. About 20 min later I was moving data over to the new freenas box. Never looked back. Turn off Dedup and compression, that will speed things up a lot. I've got two freenas boxes, one's 4GB ram the other has 16GB. Both fly.

I had a nice dvd rip collection of my own discs. TV Shows and films. One set alone had 104 discs all by it self. Did it all in 2012. Patted self on back and put discs in storage. Media ( and other data) all resided on a raid 5 NTFS server w/ups. Had a backup of it all which I kept updated as new data was written about every month or so. Years pass. Server runs fine, then I play back a media file one day. File is damaged. So I go to restore it from backup, turns out that file is fucked to. Now keep in mind at the time of first rip all discs were mint shape, no prints, nothing. So it ain't the disc that's the issue. Rather the dreaded bitrot has bit me in the ass. What do? I'll tell you, first I switched to REFS as primary server's filesystem (enabling integrity streams on everything via power shell). Then I redid my entire collection (cause there's no way to tell how bad the damage went). Then I backed it all up to two ZFS boxes plus a NAS box. Everything runs from UPS. So 4 copies of data, with 3 of them running some form of Check summing/healing raid type filesystem. The nas box and ZFS boxes stay shutdown when not used.

Rate my HPE cabinet

Now I need to populate it...

Attached: IMG_20180804_192609-01.jpg (1440x1920, 899K)

am I right in thinking an SSH server can be used for SFTP without any additional config?

Yes.

Bumping for help with this

Ping the dns name to ensure it resolved to the expected IP, iirc windows likes to override openvpn dns

Gonna use Ubuntu + ZFS myself. Just need to decide if I wanna use 6 or 8 disks in RAIDZ2. 6 eliminates 4k sector waste but might not be enough space. 8 has a lot of wasted space but I can nearly eliminate that using 1M record size (most of my files are huge 4K videos). Not sure if this'd affect performance though...

I have an X5675 @ 4.4 GHz but why would anyone use such a setup for a 24/7 server?? A brand new system would pay for itself in 4-6 years just on idle power consumption alone.

I'm using ubuntu 16.04. When I ping it the IP address resolves to the correct one but I get 100% packet loss - where do I go from here? I'm struggling with what to search on google as well

I'm just confused as I can access my LAN perfectly using the same config from my phone

What does the OpenVPN server logs say? Any other devices working?

I've seen this issue due to incorrect client compression settings that don't match the server, the logs should say this clearly

BSD is unix, Linux is unix-like. BSD is more strict, lightweight and has more powerful network stack (though more like had, linux is developing much faster and has probably caught up at this point). Linux is more flexible and has wider hardware support.

I'll have to get back to you about that, as I'm currently away for a day, hence trying to access remotely. My phone is working fine using exactly the same config file and the openVPN app.

My client logs don't seem to show too much, as the connection and tunnel open fine, it's just accessing my LAN - I can access other websites on the WAN absolutely fine

>FTP
Ew no

>OpenVPN
Very good idea.

Mixing them will work, but keep in mind that VPN would mean access to your internal network. I recommend some kind of segregation for untrusted VPN clients.

Honestly the best way is probably just to host them over HTTP, and install a letsencrypt cert to secure it. Should be pretty easy, and you have control over what files you let people access.

Don't use a Pi for a file server. Get a real system.
Firstly so you get SATA drives, secondly so you get gigabit, and thirdly so you get a real server that can handle RAID and all that other stuff.

Used HP 2540p 100€
3TB ext HDD 90€
3 hours of my time 60€

250€ in total

Life is short, that is way to slow.

Attached: nVxaDvA.png (449x287, 9K)

What do you use?

A simple ZFS system.

Attached: rack.jpg (756x1344, 248K)

I'm considering getting a T500 and putting one of these bad boys in it. As far as I have read they have linux support already, but if I decided to libreboot my T500 could I run into issues?

Attached: Mini Pcie sata III raid controller.jpg (400x380, 29K)

The hell is that pokemon drink?

2/10 curtains

Please explain to me why I need a home server.

You don't, nobody does. Anything that you can do at home you should do from a server farm with a proper setup if you actually need it.

Home servers are a convenience for keeping your data always accessible, running torrents, maybe small websites and the like. And they're fun to put together and fuck around with.

Of course then you get hordes of autists that think they're the avatar of Akamai but autists are good for and one thing only: gassing.

Attached: 1529552740526.png (911x877, 248K)

or you could restrict VPN/FTP access to a single account. Then limit that account's access rights to read only on the share's you want to give remote access to. Give r/w access to a single folder to allow uploads. The upshot is only a single point of entry (the account) so it's easy to monitor and since it's read only if it ever does come compromised, the "hacker" can't do anything destructive to the data itself.

BTW: this is the server that the freenas screenie is running on. HP N40L, got two of them. One's got 16GB ram (the one the screen cap came from), other has 4GB. Both EEC Ram.

Attached: HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-N40L-4GB-RAM-AMD-Turion.jpg (400x378, 16K)