So I'm finally giving into Microsoft's botnet because of a few things I couldn't get to work on Linux...

So I'm finally giving into Microsoft's botnet because of a few things I couldn't get to work on Linux. I chose Linux previously mainly due to programming related stuff, like how easy is to install a library with a package manager and such. I kinda like Windows and I'm not a paranoid when it comes to privacy, but I just can't make it comfy, even searching online for customization tips. How do you guys setup your Windows 10 installation? What programs you install? My SSD is too small and I'm too lazy to switch between OSes whenever I wanna do something, so I'd prefer not to dual boot

Attached: t197z566a4n01.jpg (1182x720, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

deviantart.com/customization/skins/windows/win10/popular-all-time/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1523937355904.jpg (300x450, 21K)

Your options are
>figure out how your computer works on your own
or
>give in and use a shitty operating system that will never be comfy
Pick for yourself OP. No one can do this for you

lol nice reference, upvoted

>Spending this amount of effort to write that long speech about some terminology

Autism alert.

Yeah, what this guy said. Linux can never be comfy. No matter how you set it up, it's still just going to look wrong.

>implying someone had the effort to type out a copypasta

Autism alert.

>thinking that was generated by AI

Imagine you're developer of Windows and some people call it MacOS, you'd get angry too.

deviantart.com/customization/skins/windows/win10/popular-all-time/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software

More like if you're a dev of MacOS and someone calls it Macintosh.

I do know, to some degree. Whenever my install breaks I can sort things out, or at least know what to search for, and when stuff don't work (e.g. thumbnails or video playback) I know what to install. I'm not asking whether I should stay on Linux or on Windows btw.
kek. It is comfy when it works, I get something done easily, updates install fine, my vidya works fine and such. It is sad when I try to run Windows's software through wine and it doesn't work or bad game ports running like shit on OpenGL. I feel powerless as fuck, since there is nothing I can do about it and I just wanted to do something at that specific time without even thinking about it

use win7

Thanks for the links. There's a few stuff I didn't know existed
I considered that option, but AFAIK it doesn't get updates anymore, right? Windows is insecure as it is, I wouldn't risk using it. Another reason for Windows 10 is that I already have a license for it, and I'd need to pirate W7. Not really a big deal, but it's something

>it doesn't get updates anymore, right?
I think it does until 2020 or 2022

>because of a few things I couldn't get to work on Linux.
Like what?
>and I'm too lazy to switch between OSes whenever I wanna do something
Do what exactly? Smells like gaming.
>but AFAIK it doesn't get updates anymore
You don't know, it will keep getting updates until 2020. Not that any of this actually matters, as it's a proprietary operating system - meaning the end user can't verify if the supposed security updates achieve anything.
>Windows is insecure as it is, I wouldn't risk using it
So why are you asking people to Google Windows 10 customization guides for you? Seems like someone is full of shit. Are we going to find out who?

Win10 LTSB.

Attached: 1512705427007.png (737x705, 291K)

INSTALL GENTOO

Attached: gentoo 1366677068049.jpg (326x273, 19K)

It's games. He's a 14yo gamer kid who gave linux a spin to look cool on the internet and now wants to go back to his entertainment system because proprietary shit runs like shit on linux. Let the thread die.

>Like what?
In general is games, yeah. As for software, very few don't work at all, but most alternatives (or Linux versions of the same software) lack in a few stuff and sometimes lack polishing too. Kinda bothers me
>Do what exactly? Smells like gaming.
You got me. Most of it is gaming. Like I said, some games perform like shit on OpenGL. I don't remember hiding I play games though
>You don't know, it will keep getting updates until 2020.
That's nice. Sorry for not looking up info before posting, but I thought it was the case. Might consider it
>So why are you asking people to Google Windows 10 customization guides for you?
You got it wrong. I'm not asking anyone to google stuff for me. I already did many times before, applied a few tweaks myself and was not satisfied. Asking what you guys personally do on your W10 installs. Something more than "Tune your Windows 10 install with these 10 simple tricks!" articles. And the insecurity thing, Windows is indeed insecure, mainly because of the user base it has, it is targeted by a lot of malware. There's no helping it. That would be the case with Linux if they swapped positions. I meant that, Windows 7 being abandoned (thanks for the clarification. It isn't), it'd make it even more vulnerable

>I meant that, Windows 7 being abandoned (thanks for the clarification. It isn't), it'd make it even more vulnerable
Read again and remember:
>Not that any of this actually matters, as it's a proprietary operating system - meaning the end user can't verify if the supposed security updates achieve anything.
Also, Windows 7 is still viable for gaming.

Yeah. Also bothers me Windows being locked and such. Maybe I should just quit using computers at all.
>Also, Windows 7 is still viable for gaming.
True. Didn't thought about it a few hours ago. Now that the system is installed, going back installing W7 from scratch... Might give it a try tomorrow or something. Thanks for the tip