Has anyone else here transitioned from desktop to laptop? Do you regret it?

Has anyone else here transitioned from desktop to laptop? Do you regret it?

Attached: desktop to laptop.png (1082x412, 273K)

Gawd no. I love having a 2lb laptop with 16gb of memory and i7. Oh yea, 10 hours battery life.

me
no
i don't play gaymes so i don't need a dgpu, thinkpad + docking station + two monitors = comfy

I did when I went to uni because I needed the portability. Granted I had a very old prebuilt desktop so the laptop was a good upgrade. I recently built my own desktop for gaymens and streaming movies, but I still use my laptop from time to time when I travel.

I've gone between them several times and I think laptop is more comfy.

Only if you really play shit loads of games do you need a desktop. Otherwise Laptop + Docking/Monitors is a good way to go.

I still have my PC but i don't use it since i don't gaym.
I do all my work stuff on my notebook. It's just more convenient.

Just get something that uses a docking station and you can use a laptop however you want. I used a t420 as my only computer for two years.

i started this thread thinking everyone was going to call me a faggot and say desktops are superior.

i replaced my station two years ago for a laptop and i regret it heavily. the larger screen, the ability to sit down in a comfy chair, the ability for customization, just the overall feeling of desktops for me is personally better.

maybe i just have a shit laptop, lol

Attached: 1532367619598.png (330x330, 119K)

Probably bait, but have you considered using an external Monitor + Keyboard and mouse ? Nowadays the laptops are powerful enough for most tasks and desktops are only reasonable for high-end gaming.. even then the aero with a 1070 would probably suffice

Yes, I went full freedom and got libreboot X200 and dock with displayport for external monitor. Comfy af

There's no point in that, I think I'm just gonna end up moving my desktop and table back into my room. I hate using laptops, I have no idea why everyone here likes them.

What kind of laptop did you buy?

Surface Pro 3
Surface Dock
Dell Ultrasharp
Logitech mouse+keyboard
pic related

Attached: IMG_20180804_190914.jpg (3928x2944, 2.31M)

weird glitch should look like this

Attached: IMG_20180804_190914.jpg (3928x2944, 3.58M)

>desktops only for high end gaming
try better thermals, better price vs. performance, and the fact that you can actually upgrade your hardware
if you buy anything new you're retarded anyways

Switched to MacBook

Best decision of my life

>Has anyone else here transitioned from desktop to laptop?
Yes.
>Do you regret it?
No.
Basically nothing but a great MMO or online shooter that I can't run on a normal laptop could possibly bring me back. The conveience for work and school is unbelievable, and my gaymen and anime watching is hardly impeded. I kind of want a dock and 24" monitor but honestly 15.6" is alright.

>he didn't go all out and aim for 12"-13"
you... you don't actually bust that out during classes, do you?

Attached: 1498224789629.png (470x454, 7K)

Why not both?

No, I don't see why I would want to. I use my laptop for work + travel, and my desktop for home.

yeah this man.

I sold my high end gaming PC for a 8th Gen i5 Zenbook. I still have a desk with a screen, KB/Mouse and use a USBc with HDMI and 4 USB ports if i want to be in another room to use my computer
Being able to sit in the lounge makes me way sociable with my family vs having to always be at my desk to use the internet.

>using old thinkpad in current year
I bet that all you do on this machine is shitposting about linux and anime
It probably can't even run a proper IDE without catching a fire

Attached: 1513540021521.jpg (660x495, 114K)

>Has anyone else here transitioned from desktop to laptop?
Yes
>Do you regret it?
No

I love the 1050ti on it and I can connect my monitor for a extra screen. No more case for me

>15.4" laptop is too big for classes

Can your college not afford proper desks?

Everyone where I live either busts out a Macbook or uses their phone, user. Also, a larger chassis tends to mean larger, more conspicuous fans that come on more often depending on the manufacturer.

>he didn't go all out and aim for 12"-13"
I like being able to see shit without a microscope, thanks.
>you... you don't actually bust that out during classes, do you?
Of course I do. Class, work, bus stop, bus, home, everywhere. Fuck the police. It's not a Mac so normalfags already think I'm an outsider. The anime papes probably don't help either but again, fuck the police.

dell inspiron something something
it's silver and has a touchscreen. i3.

Yes and yes. Ergonomics suck. Keyboard sucks, more expensive and less powerful. Yea but mainly its because of nerd neck.

Just looking at that keyboard gave me RSI

Yes, no.

get a business laptop and use a docking station at home

>It probably can't even run a proper IDE
Something tell me you use some bloated crap like Visual Studio or Sublime rather than vim or emacs.

Linux is the IDE though.

Attached: 1531422482780.jpg (680x794, 71K)

My notebook processor is basically a 3770K already, could've pushed all 8 cores to 4.2Ghz if I'd be arsed to flash a custom BIOS

whats a better keyboard? i got this cause it was cheap but i want something more comfortable for my hands

>Has anyone else here transitioned?
Yes!

I had, but not by a choice.
The only convenience laptops offer is their mobility, in everything else they are a severe downgrade from desktops. It just happens that for me the mobility was of utmost importance at the time - I started living in another country and I've also needed a personal computer for my job.
People who consider laptops an adequate desktop replacement are:
a) using their PCs as facebook (shitposting) machines;
b) students;
c) at best, do some entry-level web-dev, likely front-end only;
d) stupid.

I'm intending on building a desktop by the end of this year because even a fairly modern business-class laptop (T460s) is incapable of replacing it. The convenience of not having to do anything to bring work to home doesn't outweigh the loss of sheer processing power.

Attached: scout-live.dev.urana.asia_2(iPhone 8).png (861x1753, 1.16M)

I've been working for over 20 years and the last time I had a desktop was a Silicon Graphics machine for doing FEA work at GM. Rest have been laptops. With a docking station, good kb/mouse, decent specs and 2nd monitor you can do a lot of work on them. I only set up desktops where I've lots of specialized peripherals and there's no reason for computer to ever move (ecommerce shipping station, home machine with printer and multiple monitors.) It's just too handy to be able to take the computer with you to show ppl things, run presentations, demonstrate analysis, etc.

Don't forget
> executives

um.. both ?

Seriously. My house has 2 desktops and at least 4 operating laptops, with several more spares in my closet (I think I've paid for only 1 of them). Work machines run Win7/10 and rest run a version of Linux that works with their specs.

I'm honestly thinking about doing it, I would love to have a primary machine that I can just bring around the house instead of being tied to my desk.
I only shitpost and mpv though, so its not like I really need the power of my desktop (ex gaymer).

Agree with you in all points except the web-dev stuff. Unless you're working directly with GPUs then any kind of development is acceptable on a laptop. As a back-end developer, I rarely take my laptop out of its dock and I NEVER feel like I need more power. If you need more power, you're doing it wrong. Plus external GPUs now-a-days practically replace the need for developing on a desktop altogether.

>Transitioned
Are computers genders now?

No. Unlike your gender, you can change your hardware form factor.

Says alot about your shitty life

What do you with those two monitors user?

>As a back-end developer
So, what do you do, user? I've been running setups along the lines of
>Android Studio
>4Gb RAM Docker
>Rails
>MySQL
And laptop struggles to support that. And that was a simple WebRTC demo I've made for a company to develop their own shit.
That's not even close to the heaviest pure web setup I had to work with, too. On bigger projects, there might be more databases (we've used Cassandra), more servers (shit in Vagrant boxes), an actual web-app part (meaning your browser will be doing some shit), then the mobile-app part, emulators, etc.
This is not the load laptop handles. If you have a 20+Gb RAM laptop - it won't stutter at you, but it doesn't change the fact it'll be severely slower than working on the desktop. If you don't "feel" like you need more power you're either:
a) Doing something very light;
b) Don't know better.

what is a nerd neck?

same here

>transitioned
Kinda, I only use my desktop for gayms now
>regret it?
Not at all, doing work in bed is pretty /comfy/

egpu should solve a lot of the issues you'd have with performance. by far the biggest drawback of a laptop for me is lack of options for more colossal drives (8tb+).

A desktop is a workstation that allows proper posture and the best ability to utilize computing. A laptop is a toy that you bring to Starbucks and play WoW on.

I agree on desktop on being the best of all, I would though go against the hate level of laptops. Laptops have come pretty far in terms of tech but BUT you have to consider battery life and power draw. Gamer laptops failed that heavily in the past along that with fans that were loud as shit. Now you have some options.

Ahh yes! I love my new surface pro®. I can now watch ijustine wherever I go. Thank you based microsoft for making this a reality.

Attached: IMG_20180804_231916.jpg (3000x2250, 709K)

i have both

work stuff goes to my laptop
anime and gaymes stuff goes to my desktop

>visual studio
>crap
nice mzymay

No desktop for work (yes work, not browsing Jow Forums and playing games in between of 15 min "programming" sessions).
Phone for entertainment.

Laptops are useless devices that only enable you to be lazy.

>t. professional fizzbuzzer with riced vim

you are still a faggot dont worry

I have at work, I still keep my desktop at home.
I hate it, laptops are too low, I'm always hunched over and end up with neck and back pain the days I work at the office.
Keyboard is shit too, so I have to carry an external keyboard, as well as a mouse, and the charger.
Power isn't much of a concern when programming however, and for games I have the desktop at home. But as far as ergonomics go, laptops are awful.

Tell me one reason you would need desktop and its NOT for vidya

3d modeling

specific hardware, SCSI connectors, multiple drives, as in more than two.

I just did the opposite. Sure is great not having to look down to use my computer.
>lol just use a stand and an external keyboard
Then what's the point of a mobile PC?

More processing power, you autistic de/g/enerate.

GIS

You can keep both you know? But I use my laptop as a main pc. I don't play enough games to justify using it more often and I work 10 hour work days. By the time I get home I don't want to sit at a desk

Every now and then I consider getting rid of my desktop for some sort of zen ideal, but the desktop doesn't hurt.
A better idea would be hiding the desktop and using streaming to play muh gaymes and run blender.

I'm thinking of switching to purely an X230t in a dock. I have the X230t already, all I'd need to do is put 16GB of RAM in it and a bigger SSD.

But for now, I have the X230t, a 2017 Surface Pro and a desktop I barely use

yes

Attached: image.jpg (1058x378, 21K)

I am literally the same. I was going to write the same thing.

Laptops are great but one big problem with them is that you can't upgrade them. I have been having a laptop for a while (more than 6 years) and the fact that you can't upgrade the cpu and gpu has been a problem for me. With the new laptops you can't evem upgrade ram and storage (good thing my old laptop has a dvd drive which I swaped for an ssd) .The laptop you just purchased would become obsulete within 2-3 years and perhaps you are fine with spending 1k$ (because that is the price you can get a decent (not thinkpad) laptop). And yes I do know some old business class laptops are an exception to that rule but I am talking about laptops in general.

For the last month I haven't switched my desktop on. At first because of the heat, then I realized I don't feel like gayyming anymore and for the rest of my daily tasks a shitty 3420M craptop (with an SSD and some additional RAM thrown in there) just werks, at least if you have a light OS.

>the larger screen
What, you have some crapple product without ports?
>the ability to sit down in a comfy chair
Sure sucks that you can't sit on your comfy chair while using a laptop or when the moon is waning. I hear that you can use blood of a virgin to break this spell though.
>the ability for customization
Only valid point. Thankfully what I have works for me and I don't really miss this ability.

What if I have both?
Main pc though, went from desktop to laptop, then back to desktop when I didn't need both high performance and portability in the same pc anymore.

Using it when you leave your desktop room.

>(more than 6 years) and the fact that you can't upgrade the cpu and gpu has been a problem for me
A fucking C2D just werks. I'm guessing W10 or some other inefficient, resource intensive crap.

Have way better but still wont go W10. It is absolutely a nightmare and I work IT so I provide support for it.

>The laptop you just purchased would become obsulete within 2-3 years
>obsulete
CPUs have plateaued years ago and GPU advancements are only important for gayymes nowadays.
>1k$ (because that is the price you can get a decent (not thinkpad) laptop)
My 100USD Shitsung is good enough for 99% of people.

nigga u got a fucked up spine

>Not owning 2 computers for 2 different use cases

Attached: brainlet_wojak_2.png (645x729, 58K)

This is our desk in my college, literally.
Can't be helped.

Attached: IMG_20180805_224738.jpg (300x515, 66K)

This is the only reason I'm switching to a laptop but I don't care, its comfier.

Attached: 1508734183434.jpg (1491x1080, 476K)

The fuck is this, a college for ants?

if you have discovered some laptop that is actaually usefull for 100$ please do share with the rest of us

Hi there.

Attached: laptop for cheapo.png (1426x918, 417K)

What the fuck do you mean "actually useful"? They're portable, that's their use so find one that does that.

>scratch & dent
Why not buy something used but in good condition? You can have 3420 with bigger HDD and more RAM for less.
>has unknown BIOS password
It makes even less sense to buy it, at first I thought scratches and dents were factory/warehouse damage, but it's just a second-hand item? There are way better deals than that in the second hand market.

I meant not being a chromebook, meaning being able to run a fully functional os

Some chinkpad I'd imagine

Yeah, grad school and me plannng to leave the US forced it on me.
I kinda hate it, my current machine is an ivybridge latitude.
It's alright, but I'm quickly getting sick of the shit graphics performance and low res display.
Runs linux well at least

>Solid enterprise with known power adapters and battery replacements.
>Bios issue known on the internet with USB boot instructions.
Fuck hell man, do some searching on the internet. Want to save money or be someones bitch. Which is it?

There sure are good 100USD used laptops for sale here. I don't know where you live and I'm not gonna be your search engine nigger for free anyway, but just duckduckgo (TM) it and I'm sure you'll find something.

>Want to save money or be someones bitch. Which is it?
I bought a better laptop for a few bucks less, I don't get your point.

I had a laptop for 4 years then built my own PC. Moved to uni a few years later so I bought a brand new laptop that struggled to run anything after 2 years. When I got home my 6 years old PC was still running perfectly fine.
So I'm never buying a laptop ever again. They are all shit and require more maintenance.

>I bought a brand new laptop that struggled to run anything after 2 years
You don't belong on Jow Forums.

Show me it. Let us see your "better" laptop under $100.

My "desktop" is a docking station and two monitors.
It fits my Latitude E6230 and my Precision M6800

I have no fucking idea what laptop to buy, I just want something with a 15" screen that is pretty light and stays cool to watch anime and shitpost on. $2500 budget.
P-please help.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_21.38.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

You don't belong on Jow Forums.