/acrg/ - Android Custom Roms General

>Isn't root enough?
You can flash custom kernels for your stock rom and modify parameters for your gpu to get better functionality; but if you try to tinker to much your device by removing apps you may stop having some functionalities or in the worst case turn your device unusable.
>why a custom rom/kernel?
You can get additional functionalities and modifications for your device, but most important the point is to improve the performance of your device, say, the battery or on older devices the performance itself which may be drained by preinstalled software in your stock rom.
>I care for my privacy, can I turn my device as secure as a desktop?
When you consider yourself as caring for privacy you can even argue that the baseband processor could be a vulnerability to your information security. So ignoring hardware; is on you to read the code fof the rom you flash or the tools you use to flash it, even compile it yourself or just trust the developers. The limitation is the firmware.
>Can I install a rom without gapps?
Most devs wont advice this on the page of their rom. The reason is if you don't replace the services this apps give you your device will lack features. A common alternative is to use microG. So sure, you can run your android without google.
>Stock Rom works just fine
cool
>Common resources
XDA
forum.xda-developers.com/
AOSP
source.android.com/
microG
microg.org/

Attached: roms.png (430x350, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xperifix.com/
forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/development/hack-mod-sony-xperia-xz-premium-twrp-t3695171/post75770810#post75770810
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any non-sketchy (i.e. no Indian shit) Oreo ROM for the OnePlus X?

What's the most stable, solid, and popular custom rom for the Samsung Galaxy 5?

>Custom Pajeet General

dont 4get 2 clik fankz nd by me beer xdd

shit thread op is a fag

>bugs?
you tell me ;)

>problems
everything
>what's working
you tell me ;)

Hello sirs welcome to my GALAGSEE S5 MM RUM TUCHWIZ | DEODEXED | SUPER SU

WORKING:
WiFi
Screen

NOT WORKING:
Calling
Data
SMS
Camera

THIS ROOM IS STABLE, PLZ BUY ME BEER :D

>new update available
>boot loops phone

Why haven't they made a gapps like flash zip package for MicroG?

Attached: 1533059511999.jpg (610x400, 47K)

Buy an officially supported phone

Looking for the best Android 8.1 ROM for falcon and ido, any suggestions?

we have enough generals already
fuck off

Use Omni, maintained by a Chink not a Pajeet

Buggin bageeets

For ido use LineageOs by l33t_n00b
Resurrection Remix and crDroid are buggy piece of shit

Using Omni here on op3t.

Shit's pretty good.

Anyone running lineage 15.1 official on a redmi note 4x? I was cozy with miui.eu but the new beta is totally borked. I'd switch to lineage but an email wired about do in camera quality/call bugs that I've read about.

Attached: 1524204436754.jpg (605x864, 60K)

Currently running lineage (micro g) 14.1 on a moto x pure, but because of several hardware issues I'm considering upgrading
I was thinking of switching to the pixel XL since I saw that just received official lineage support, and by extension gets microg lineage builds as well.

If anyone here has marlin it would be cool if you could talk about the battery life on the phone. If anyone's curious about my moto I can give a mini review of it.

Fuck me, who wrote this shit? Your grammar is fucking terrible.

The scene is dead.

I've been working on and flashing my own builds since 2.1 and even I acknowledge there is no need to unlock your bootloader, root and flash any kind of custom firmware anymore.

You want to run some half baked stock based ROM then go right ahead.

For me the scene died 4 years ago.

Stock has pretty much reached feature parity with custom ROMs, so from that regard I agree with you.
However, there are still many reasons to flash custom ROMs.
>open source
>use micro g or no gapps at all
>keeps devices up to date even after official support drops

I miss the AOKP times, shit was good

Is there a universal list out there for bloatware apps? Inc those that are true system (system apps not just those bound to system

Attached: 1405292761452.gif (300x222, 498K)

Official lineage with Franco kernel. Just werks. No tweaking done or needed.

Attached: Screenshot_Settings_20180805-091538.png (1080x1920, 151K)

With GApps?

The only reason to root and ROM anymore is if your device gets its support dropped by the manufacturer. Otherwise Android has everything you used to only be able to get through a custom ROM.

Also I refuse to download and install a ROM on my expensive device by someone who can't fucking spell and sounds retarded and lives in the dirt world somewhere, so that easily rules out all custom ROMs I've seen in the last 3 years.

>The only reason to root and ROM anymore is if your device gets its support dropped by the manufacturer.
Kind of a big reason to be the "only" miniscule one. Exacerbated by the fact that no matter how much Google has tried to rid Android of fragmentation, average OEM promised Android version updates number hasn't risen above 2. General security and avoiding software backdoors on OEM firmwares is only possible on custom ROMs.

It's minuscule because I'm not a dirtworlder and have a job that gives me a new phone allowance every 12 months, so I never have to deal with a phone out of warranty or software support.

>new phone (...) every 12 months
shiggy diggy

>i care for my privacy, can i turn my device as secure as a desktop?

What kind meme is this

>a new phone allowance every 12 months
LMAO poorfag
I'm buying a new iPhone X every week since the 1995.

Ah yes, the classic "I can pour money into my problems until they go away" argument.
Buying a phone every 12 months has nothing to do with how much money you have, and everything to do with whether or not it's worth the money.
In my eyes, it simply is not worth paying more than $400 for any phone ever. Not because I can't afford it, but because there's no value.
So, when I get a phone and the software support drops I don't immediately go out and buy a new phone, because the one I'm using still works.
Also, your point about custom ROMs being made by retards is, ironically, retarded. Lineage OS has strict conditions for a device to have official support, and cannot have any issues.

Samefagging this hard

Attached: 1503388202240.gif (540x540, 577K)

Yes

Has any of you ever ported lineageos to be compatible with your phone?
How hard is it?
Do you need to be good at programming or do you replace some files from official ROM and then tweak around?
I am asking because I have Samsung a5 2015 and all custom roms are buggy, the one that I have settled on has this strange problem - when brightness is low two white navigation bars are barely visible in the upper and lower parts of the screen on gray backgrounds, probably looks like a burn in but I know that it is not, has anyone heard about this kind of problem and if it's possible to fix by tweaking system files?

My phone has stock supposedly non-rootable 8.1, but the maker has the ROM for download on their site. Do you need root to do a custom ROM?

Running a semi official version (Lineage + MicroG), and I can tell you that camera has been fixed for the most part, i.e. pictures are no longer washed out and out of focus.

>Do you need root to do a custom ROM?
technically no.

Ressurection remix is pajeet shit and buggy
Aosp extender is pajeet shit and buggy
Crdroid is buggy as fuck
Tfw no official lineage
Why the fuck there's not a single good rom for the redmeme 4x?
I hate miui, I'll have to hang on to xiaomi.eu it seems.

No, you just need a custom recovery.

Lineage os

what version of MIUI do you have ? I like MIUI 9 and 10. Currently have the MIUI 10 weekly en.miui.

I'm on Miui 9. 8 don't know if miui 10 weekly is stable enough and/or if the battery life is good.

*I don't know
Fixed

Most usable ROM for Samsung Galaxy S6?

They support almost every OnePlus device, except the X, guess was right.

wondering the same

>tfw no TWRP for your phone yet (moto g6 plus)

Best RSS reader from F-Droid?
What about desktop (linux/web)?
If it does both, even better

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 41K)

>>tfw no TWRP for your phone yet (moto g6 plus)
>What about desktop (linux/web)?
maybe plasma phone, I've only seen it supports Nexus 5 in the arch version

it requires signature spoofing to be enabled which lineage refuses to do.

Same, AOKP was fucking sweet

Is it better to go with Franco kernel or just stick with the lineage one? I'm paranoid about removing optimizations that the lineage team made, they are great devs.

>Lineage OS has strict conditions for a device to have official support, and cannot have any issues.
Bullshit. Oreo has rendered my GPS unusable, while Nougat works just fine. Using an ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser Z00T.

Official lineage has those requirements. Obviously an unofficial build is not endorsed by lineage and does not have to be of the same quality.

For me, I find that I lose more battery on standby using the LOS kernel. Mileage may vary. Franco kernel didn't change how I use my device.

>being dumb and using a unofficial build made by a pajeet

Wtf am i supposed to backup/restore in twrp??
Twrp page says dm verity devices need to back up system image instead of system
I know that dm verity makes it so that stock recovery overwrites custom recovery so i flashed something that disables this feature
Does this mean dm verity has been disabled or just bypassed?
Do i back up system or system image?
WTF

Any reason to have a custom rom on a pixel 2 seems pointless to do

System, data and boot I guess.
Look for a guide on Google.
That other shit you mention is if you want to backup the stock rom.

If you have stock Android you should stick to it
Root is no more useful those days

This but xiaomi redmi note A5 prime

Attached: happy_toast.gif (375x375, 85K)

Ad-away

>break every function of your phone general
good thread guys

Is there a Go custom rom yet? I need it for my Galaxy Wonder.

Does anyone have the previous version of this before it became pay-to-use?

xperifix.com/
forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/development/hack-mod-sony-xperia-xz-premium-twrp-t3695171/post75770810#post75770810

How botnet is aosp(?) android system webview VS google's android system webview?

Attached: Screenshot_Yalp Store_20180805-173234.png (1080x1920, 163K)

Didn't mean to post that here but I guess it's related since custom ROMs usually come with AOSP webview

Attached: DimrHOnXcAA8_U7.jpg (1080x1080, 217K)

>samsung
>usable ROM
Bruh.

Same shit except outdated.

When will you retards learn about the nanomod. Even better, when will you retards learn to use your phone without gapps or the substitutes.

>magisk

Attached: HorribleSubs_Darling_in_the_FranXX_16_720p.mkv_snapshot_13.48_2018.05.06_01.05.52.jpg (293x393, 34K)

Not a requirement.

oh.
Might check this out then, thanks for posting about !

Attached: 1453590480680.png (494x795, 411K)

Anyone try Lineage OS on Galaxy S9+? How stable is it?

Entirely optional just like some retarded shit it comes with, like zelda ringtones

Why though? What's wrong with modifying the existing image and reflashing?

did you use the sideloading microg? does install micro g mean you got spoofing?

What do you have against magisk anyway? You aren't using some chink shit like supersu, right?

I use lineage superSU, which is not the same as chainfire (botnet) superSU.
Don't have anything serious against magisk, but I do consider it bloat since I don't really need any of the features it provides.

what is wrong with magisk?

>aosp(?) android system webview
Like Chromium, ie. phones home and tracks you but it's FOSS so you know it does and doesn't do as much as Chrome usually does
>google's android system webview
It's Chrome with the interface disabled, it even weighs as much as Chrome does, if you have Chrome there's no point in installing it, if you don't have Chrome but you don't get timely security updates the it's worth installing it
It's also closed source, just like Chrome

Most browsers get adblocker and I don't use any apps with ads. If there are, I just download the paid version on mobilism so I get no ads. I have adaway installed but really it's not as useful as it was before.

>mobilism
First time hearing of this. Is it good? How does it handle app updates?

I want to be able to share VPN/adblocking which you can't do without root, nor can you use adaway or see saved WiFi passwords. That's just what I use, you lose a bunch of functionality without root.
Not having root (admin) privileges on a device you supposedly "own" is retarded.

maxwen is from Austria.

I flashed android 5.0 rom when rooting my galaxy s5. Does that count as a custom rom?

Every time I flash a new ROM I basically downgrade and that's with well known non-beta roms from original android section.

Either the camera is fucked, or the lock screen, or screen rotation, or cell signal, or calling feature etc... all roms with "known bugs = none" description. Fuck my life.

I use mobilism as well, but I'm not sure whether the applications there handle because I never used them. I run every app through virustotal just to be sure, never had any problems with it.

Works on my phone

I have a G900V S5 phone, security patch August 2017

Am I fucked for doing anything on this phone?

Well many other ROMs do right? And enabling signature spoofing isn't that hard.

Does microg with with botnets like hangouts, hangouts dialer, Waze, and WhatsApp?

When will I be able to run android apps in a sandbox?

Sadly this. I used to contribute and maintain builds for Aokp, omni and a couple other smaller named roms but we reached a point where custom roms aren't actually giving any advantage over stock.

The golden age was jellybean to kitkat

what hardware issues on the moto x? I'm getting ready to move off of my moto g falcon and was looking for a newer motorola

I've had the phone since it came out, so 3 years.
In that much time I've experienced two issues with the screen (one blue soot and another bright spot) and the phone sometimes fails to detect my sim card. The second one isn't such a big issue as it resolves itself after a restart, but if I'm not looking at my phone it could lose the sim card for a few hours before I realize, and I could have missed something important.

On top of all of that the battery has degraded to approximately 60% of the original capacity, and was never exactly good to begin with either. The phone wasn't bad for the price, but I am disappointed in how many issues I saw after only a few years.

Whats the diff between treble and gsi?

gsi?

No; you can install it normally, but it won't work. Lineage + MicroG supports signature spoofing out of the box.

pls respond