FOSS IDEs and GUI development

Been doing some research on cross-platform GUI toolkits and which IDEs are best suited for them.
Which one would be (or already is) Jow Forums's personal choice? Anything critical to add to this guide?

>why is my popular meme editor or toolkit not included?
No respectable programmer should involve himself with Microsoft products (VS, MonoDevelop etc.) or Java (Netbeans, Eclipse and associated frameworks).
Also, this thread is for discussing GUI application development using the built-in capabilities of your IDE, where no external tools are required. So, not for advanced text editors either.

Attached: FOSS IDEs with integrated designers for cross-platform GUI.png (1237x723, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gambas.sourceforge.net
lazarus-ide.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FOX Toolkit

QtCreator is usable. Everything else is unfinished, a joke or by "IDE" they mean "text editor with search by files".

>GUI application development using the built-in capabilities of your IDE

So you mean that drag and drop bullshit?

Dear ImGui

Attached: v160-misc-classic.png (1204x892, 103K)

>FOX toolkit
Even if we put aside that there exists no IDE with GUI builder for it and doesn't look native on any platform (which would be acceptable with good looking modern widgets), the fact that anything produced with it looks absolutely horrendous and ancient, is enough to dismiss it right away.

with vim or emacs
use the GUI to develop more IDE features if needed

It's not 2004, gramps, nothing is forced to look native. In fact, the easier it is to make things non-native - the better.

>that drag and drop bullshit?
Technically yes. You know, pretty much the only method to develop decent user interfaces.

Sorry, I'm retarded, didn't notice
>which would be acceptable with good looking modern widgets
Qt does that right in their unstyled QML.

How so? I always use code and it looks good. It's way more precise and I have more control.

Not sure how I feel about immediate mode GUIs. Those are better suited for video games, or more precisely video game debugging tools. Or applications where the whole window is utilizing the GPU in some way.

You're wasting time writing code that can be machine-generated, and then wasting time debugging what you could immediately see during development.

I unironically enjoy using Lazarus.
It's by far the easiest/least bullshit, in my experience.
Also modern Object Pascal in general is pretty underrated.

>shit's on Compile once run everywhere langauges for his crossplatfrom aim.
>Includes shitty scripting langauges.

OP is a faggot, just stay on linux.

tk masterrace

>more precise and I have more control
While that is true, it's hardly efficient. Placing your widgets and setting every little detail for them line by line yourself is not only incredibly time consuming, but needlessly introduces a large amount of errors. (Potentially. You could be a genius who writes perfect code on first try, of course.)

>No respectable programmer should involve himself with Microsoft products (VS, MonoDevelop etc.)

Respectable is taken to mean "unemployed" here, right?

Most companies use VS for targetting both Windows and Linux

>Most companies use VS
to produce barely usable pajeetware

Attached: 1533415302049.jpg (640x800, 65K)

>Most companies use VS for targetting both Windows and Linux

Attached: FA5D1604-ACAD-4D37-B118-68285A069ABE.jpg (533x594, 54K)

I have personally used it for a video editor and trading platform front end. ImGui has its origin in the game dev community, so that's where it's most popular, but it's suitable for any kind of editor-like GUI, event monitoring etc.. True, I wouldn't use it for something like a torrent client, stick with Qt then.

Immediate mode GUIs are also easy to port to webassembly if you stick with an OpenGL backend, making them truly multi-platform.

Attached: 1.png (1920x1080, 283K)

gambas.sourceforge.net (easy mode)
lazarus-ide.org/ (medium difficulty)

And maybe also compile some telemetry into otherwise clean code.

I do have to say, messing around with Pascal and this object-oriented BASIC in their respective GUI builder sounds interesting. Even if only for personal entertainment, it could be worth taking a look.

>tk
>ide

FOSS a shit. FLOSS is the good stuff.

They definitely have their own uses. Both imgui and nuklear interfaces can be really pleasing to the eye.
But yes, for regular desktop applications, it's better to just stick to traditional GUI tools.

I can recommend trying both. They have different communities and a different feel, but both are fun to mess around with. Lazarus is used by pros from Yurop who used to work with Delphi. The language is essentially C++-lite. Gambas developers seem to be more on the hobbyist side. Both are in the Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora official repos. Lazarus has first-class Windows support. Gambas does not.

Any opinions on KDevelop? How does it compare to Qt Creator in terms of features and general usability?
At first glance, Qt Creator seems almost entirely focused on Qt (not surprisingly) and C++. KDevelop somehow looks more versatile. I'm aware that one can program in various languages with Qt Creator too without ever touching the Qt libraries, of course.

How cancer is Qt? It's developed by a massive corporation afterall. They fiddle with IoT and other cringe areas too. Does Jow Forums trust their open code enough to use the Qt libs without worry?

Attached: Qt botnet of things.png (1194x808, 349K)

Flossing is healthy

>QT
fuck no. leave that bloatware alone

>wxWidgets
Wayland support never

GTK gets a lot of hate here but it's fine. Lot less bloat than QT
never heard of that Anjuta studio for GTK though