/spg/ - Smartphone General

GOAT Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: 5ae33da889ec2xiaomi-rn-5p-1.jpg (1439x1031, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qLO1SymBaNk
xda-developers.com/oneplus-root-access-backdoor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The A6 and J6 really fucking PISS ME OFF

Attached: received_1775007856125048.gif (400x400, 1.27M)

Daily reminder that the Lenovo Z5 is the best budget phone.
>SD 636
>64GB - 6GB RAM
>6.2 inch display
>Headphone jack/Memory card slot
>16+8MP cameras
>USB Type-C
>Smaller, faster and better camera/display than the Note 5 pro

Attached: thumb_143303_default_big (1).png (491x585, 336K)

Samsung midrange phones are scams, youd better off getting a xiaomi/honor/nokia phone

Just stop.

better get huawei

AMOLED display is better than IPiSS

>IPiSS
Are you 12?

Bumping , Redmi Note 5 added

reposting my unanswered question from the previous thread:

Volume down button on my mi4 lte is working only 25% of time. how can I fix that? is it a sign of the infamous "phone bending"?

>USB type C
>notch
Nah, I'm good.

>how can I fix that?
By visiting a local repair shop.

>tease a phone with no notch or bezels
>actual phone has a notch AND a bottom bezel

Attached: lenovo-z5-weibo-teaser.jpg (970x728, 34K)

Xiaomi mi note 5 pro or Xiaomi A2?
How much slower is the SD 636 compared to the 660?
Leaning towards the A2 but 4000mAh battery of the note is really appealing

This smells of the ZUK Z2 fiasco, I'd pass.

Mi8 SE for you postcard-loving faggots

>a2
>no headphone jack
>no micro sd slot

RN5

Nokia 7
Zenfone Max Pro M1
LeEco LePro

So I finally unlocked the bootloader on my Redmi Note 5. Did you guys root after flashing twrp or before it?

It's a Lenovo though. The chinkiest of chink companies

youtube.com/watch?v=qLO1SymBaNk
Just do it already.

These look neat, thanks. Don't think I've seen LeEco here though.

my bb passport got wet. still waiting for it to dry. I haven't worried about phones for years, what should I upgrade to? pref under 900 cad

Attached: 91iKau0veVL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 357K)

how does this compare to note 5?

Better at getting burn-in, sure.

Anyone running lineage 15.1 official on a redmi note 4x? I was cozy with miui.eu but the new beta is totally borked. I'd switch to lineage but an email wired about do in camera quality/call bugs that I've read about.

Attached: 6ngfdd5.jpg (1280x1280, 1M)

i never use sd cards
no headphonenjack is a bummer but not a deal braker at this price

>but not a deal braker at this price
Why not get a phone which doesn't make these ridiculous sacrifices in the same price range as well?

best phone for 200 euro?

Attached: 1506274524472.jpg (417x405, 10K)

btw some spanish site is telling me it is the Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plusm but i want to know your opinions

redmi note 5

It's a variant with a single camera and Snapdragon 625. The difference in price is marginal between the two. Get the one with Snapdragon 636/dual camera.

>Pros:
Same processor although some people say it feels smoother.
The display is bigger and has somewhat better colors.
The camera is also better (16+8MP).
It has a smaller and lighter body.
USB Type-C
Looks more "premium"

>Cons:
Some people complain that it has a notch but you can hide it.
Smaller battery (3300mAh) which result in 6-8 hours of screen time versus 8-10 on the Note
Relatively new, no custom ROMs yet.
No official global version, available at chink sites only.

quick rundown?

Redmi note 4 updated to 15.1 recently. LOS microG fork. TWRP install, no data, app or settings lost. No bugs whatsoever. 10/would recommend.

Had to replace LCD/digitizer glass but no way to get genuine parts though so touch is laggy now :(

This user knows

>tfw no Xperia with AMOLED display

Attached: 1506813192565.jpg (512x512, 139K)

>Samsung and Apple - absolutely massive companies with fuckton of R&D money - can't release a truly bezel-less phone
>some chink boi teases a bezel-less phone with a drawn concept image, anons think this is what finished product will look like
If you didn't saw this from mile away you're retarded.

I currently have a Sony Xperia Z5. It’s ovviously a few years old now. How are Sony phones these days? Any I should look at or avoid?

So I have the OP6, can't help but feel like all chink phones with notch looks the fucking same.

>bigger display
>smaller body
>USB-C
>notch (i actually like this)

i'm sold

Two other chink boys already released such phones though. Sams and Apple aren't really trying anymore.

No band 4 or 20 means poor 4G coverage in most countries outside China

because those are my options where I live, at my price point

>buy RN5, coming from a Moto Z1
>phone feels great, good build for the price and pretty smooth
>have to remember myself I don't need to charge every once in a while and actually can go a day or more without charging
My autism starts to tingle at 60% battery, send help

thanks!

How do I get sand out of my charging port

Attached: 1345135814340.jpg (800x800, 392K)

A can of pressurised air, or go to a petrol station and use the air pump

I was recommending the Redmi Note 5.

Zuk Z2 was a really good phone though. It's still good today because nobody makes phones that size anymore. My gf loved the zuk until she dropped it in a lake like a fucktard

>quick rundown?
Z2 was heavily shilled here and on /csg/ because on paper it had better specs than the Note 3 pro for a marginal increase in price and unlike Xiaomi, Lenovo promised longtime official support for the model. Fast forward a few months and you have anons reporting issues left and right, most notably that the phone's housing is developing cracks on its own and Lenovo mysteriously removing it from the update list, in other words massively chinked. Mind you the more expensive Z2 pro was a pretty decent phone.

Not him but that's a Redmi 5 Plus tutorial. The one for Redmi Note 5 AI requires adb, lazyflasher and Redwolf.

how do any of you get excited for smart phones when they all look and function the same

Don't forget ZUI being a stinking pile of crap and every custom ROM a buggy mess

>note 9 preorder bonus is 15000 V-bucks

What do you think the overlap between $1000 phablet buyers and fortnite players is?

been out of the loop for a while and wouldn't mind some advice on which phone to get. currently have a Nexus 5x

>country/carrier
us/att

>features
I'm sure I'm asking for the impossible here, but:
battery life, decent camera, IPS screen (I'd go with amoled but I'm unsure; I've read too many things about burn in and to be honest that'd bother me), relatively stock non-cancerous skin, and either decently frequent OTA updates or good ROM support.

>size
around 6 inches

>budget
would be nice to keep it around ~600 USD

thanks in advance

100€ for a xiaomi note 5 is too little?

Them being underage, not having their own income and parting with ridiculous amounts of money for gimmicks.

Thinner XZ2 compact with an AMOLED would be perfect

OP6 except that it's amoled but then again burn-ins are rare these days.

XZ2 Compact, Asus ZenFone 5Z, Pixel 2

Is it time to take the iPhone pill?

I want a good smartwatch

Huawei Nova 3i
or maybe a P20

>I want a good smartwatch
don't get an Apple watch then

can't really hide the notch very well without an amoled. also the performance increase is probably because MIUI is bloatware garbage, lineage would run better.

I thought Apple Watches were superior to WearOS watches

Does anyone know the actual reason for the bottom bezel on a ''bezeless'' display?

Attached: gsmarena_010.jpg (728x455, 59K)

my Zuk Z2 was the best phone i ever had. don't shit on Lenovo too much, they had lots of cool innovation in ZUI.

The body "cracking" is something I've noticed on my Z2. Right next to the upper volume button is a very small "crack" in the plastic, and another one right next to the SIM card slot. They're almost impossible to see unless you put it in the right lighting, and I don't think they impact the structural integrity of the phone.

But regarding updates, didn't Lenovo say Z2 would be getting Oreo and stuff when they announced the Z5?

Right? The a5 2017 was the best midrange phone samsung ever made. The a8 is overpriced (same as a fucking oneplus 6) and a6 is a fucking jacked up j range.

for easy handling during landscape mode

screen connector is there.

>hardware keyboard
>running at least nougat
>can be rooted
Does this phone exist?

This. Iphone x folds the screwn back on itself, hence no bottom chin

they are, but not by much smartwatches are still very much in a shitty state
might be another generation or two before they finally figure it out (if they dont drop the concept entirely)

Is that xiaomi eu ROM any better than the global OTA version? Ain't for me, I'm buying the Mi Max 3 as a gift for my dad, he doesn't mind what ROM it has as long as it works good.

EU and Global ROMs are the same. It's virtually impossible to buy a Xiaomi device with Chinese firmware outside of China.

My HTC 10's battery only lasts 3 hours before it shuts down at 50%. I've been trawling through gsmarena for hours and I'm stuck on either the oneplus 6 or sony XZ2. What do lads?

Attached: 1477604468829.png (555x563, 177K)

One plus 6

Best phone under 200 euro to replace zuk z2?

thanks I'll give all these a look

Any anons with the OP6 here?
If so how's the camera on it? I've seen people say it's on par with the s9+ while others say it's noticeably worse than it.

I've not used the s9 or s9+, but the camera on op6 is better than s8

If I plan to slap Lineage Os on my device no matter what, is it pointless to get a device like xiaomi mi 8? Like will I be unable to use most hardware futures and such, or developers have a way to port ( literally move ) enhancements that come with miui ?

What hardware features?

Camera hdr algorithms, focus and so on.

I've answered your question, try to answer mine.

Google camera app has come a long but yes you generally get cucked on the camera when you put a rom

I'd like to know this too. Is burn-in an issue with the screen? Pretty much the only thing holding me back from legitimately considering one would be the amoled panel used on it. I've read mixed things regarding burn in. Some say it's nonexistent so long as you don't leave it on max brightness and display a static image for ~6 hours. Others say they burn in easily, some say it only happens if you hide the notch at the top. Not sure how true it is, but I've also read the 6 apparently uses a very similar screen to the 5/5t and I've seen few people complain about those.

No doubt on qualcom processors google camera does magic also xiaomi picks decent sensors - rarely there's a model even in shit series that dosen't get massive improvements from google camera.. so on that yea, I'll trade bullshit ai algorithms for nothing...

We're clear on that front, but do you think it's worth it? I'd rather have the snapdragon 845 even if I go with linage os route.

I would get the op6, I don't bother with roms anymore they're too much trouble for me, I prefer a stock Android phone that gets regular updates

very rom dependent it seems, but yes generally any device exclusive feature usually gets broken by installing a custom rom unless the developer explicitly includes support for it.

Regarding installing any custom rom I suggest reading up about what works and is compatible on a specific device and what doesn't before you purchase said device for the sole reason of unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom roms etc

Ye but I want less botnet man. I have no problem bothering with roms.

So I'm interested strictly for lineage os usability.

Yea although I've never owned an android device, I've flashed tens of them - got stupid friends. Ain't that hard.

I work for O2 (bong carrier) s9+ is my personal device, op 6 is my work device. I've never seen burn in on a oneplus but have seen burn in on s8s and s9s (usually the task bar at the bottom). S9+ has a better camera, slightly. But the oneplus 6 is still great. I'll post a pic or two from both phones.

Don't buy LeEco. I've had the S3 and the Pro 3 and they have both degraded in terms of performance within a few months. Didn't even last a year before I had to replace them. Go with Nokia. I have an ASUS now and it's decent but could be better

Camera is good especially when it's brightly lit. Low light is okayish. The pictures usually have this oil paint effect. S9+ camera is wayyyyyyyyy better all around.

I've had a amoled /oled phone since 2011, my most recent phone has the navigation bar burned it that happened cause i left the screen on all night, now the burn in is only visible in extreme conditions

>I would get the op6, I don't bother with roms anymore they're too much trouble for me,
The whole process takes an hour at the most.
>I prefer a stock Android phone that gets regular updates
Sadly, that doesn't exist anymore. Unless by regular updates you mean two Android versions at the most. Keep this in mind as well:
xda-developers.com/oneplus-root-access-backdoor/

Why would you replace the perfect phone?

My post wasn't depicting the difficulty in flashing a rom. I was simply stating it's wise to read up on what is functional and what's not with a specific device you plan to install a rom on. (as well as how well development/support is) that way you don't get disappointed down the road when literally all of the manufacture exclusive features you've purchased the device for do not work with the custom rom.