DAILY REMINDER WINDOWS TASKBAR ICONS FLICKER CONSTANTLY

why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????

wait..... i know the answer..
windows performs a redraw of the icons when a SHChangeNotify call is made to shell32, specifically either SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED or SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE, as outlined here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shchangenotify

This looks like shit and its amazing this issue persists. Now take a look at microsoft 'support' forums. Ouch.. here's a complaint about the issue from 2009 (LOL, 10 years ago) 'Taskbar Flickering constantly. How do I make it stop?'. A more recent one has a Top answer from windows Expert 'A. User' suggesting to run 'sfc /scannow' to solve the problem!

no one is behind the wheel of the ship at the windows division of microsoft, or even microsoft in general. really sad stuff

Attached: blink.gif (329x335, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows
blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2010/03/31/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-user-and-gdi-objects-part-2/
gist.github.com/fanfare/1b1a5c0c0dd8aedeaaab45d5513525e0
jacquelin.potier.free.fr/winapioverride32/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

SAGE

werks on my machine

does that really bother you? i never noticed it until you mentioned it.

Works in Windows 8

Can't reproduce… then again, why should either of those notifications fire if you merely delete a shortcut?

>Using desktop icons

How many times are you gonna post this shit? You're as annoying as that "paying over $50 for a phone" poster.

I also hadn't noticed until he pointed out. I tried the exact same reproduction steps in the gif and it does occur on my machine, too.

I'm not the OP, and this redraw doesn't really bother me, but what bothers me is this part:
>a Top answer from windows Expert 'A. User' suggesting to run 'sfc /scannow' to solve the problem!
Suggesting "sfc /scannow" should be banned from those forums. That scan takes too long, never worked for me, and is there to see under every fucking complaint regarding the OS in those forums.
I hate those forums, and also Microsoft's way of support, i.e. automated messages, possibly without even trying it on your own machine.

Then again, it could be worse, like Apple's way of "you are doing it wrong"s and "it is not intended to be used that way, duh"s. Those are worse and mock-worthy, and what's even more funny is that applecucks are ok with being scolded for pointing a defect, made to use it the AppleWay.

Probably until he gets help to resolve his issue, and that makes this one a tech support thread. Go ahead and report it if you want.

Fake and gay

>docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows
This and the .net/C# sites are the greatest documentation to have ever existed

Because Winblows 10 is garbage.

Attached: GIF.gif (772x475, 369K)

+ jumplists

Attached: GIF.gif (485x500, 370K)

>windows 10
there's your problem

>nitpicking this hard
linuxfags really have no argument

Uninstall the feedback app

>it doesn't do that on my pc
what kind of shit box do you have where windblows needs to blink the icons

hahahah what a fucking garbage operating system

Attached: 1533413093696.gif (172x192, 628K)

REMINDER THAT EDGE DOES NOT HIDE ITS SCROLL BARS EVEN WITH THE SETTING ENABLED, IT KEEPS A WHITE EYESORE ON THE SCREEN AT ALL TIMES EVEN WITH DARK MODE ENABLED

>open up an image
>all desktop icons flicker to default icons then back
I's like win 10 is fucking with the registry every time that happens. win 7 only does that if you install something and it affects the registry.

It does this when you delete anything.

JUST CHECKED IF ITS STILL THERE ON THE PREVIEW OF THE NEXT BIG RELEASE AND IT IS, FUCK MS, THIS IS WHY NO ONE USES EDGE

If it wasn't shit they wouldn't call it winshit.

I bet you can still fill up GDI's memory and bug out the taskbar. Windows is fucking legacy garbage.

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2010/03/31/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-user-and-gdi-objects-part-2/

Attached: image_52.png (606x480, 514K)

I've never seen this happen on my computer.

Thanks for killing a thread for this garbage one.

That's a hologram another person inside your computer it's no glitch op

>she uses icons on her desktop
>she actually uses the GUI instead of just coding in the powershell

>she

It's shit. You're right. But what is there to do?

>Use Linux desktop!

Don't make me laugh.

t. Stockholm syndrome

Firefox has white scrollbars in dark mode too. It's annoying.

Firefox is trying out UI customizing, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. The issue is that Edge used to have disappearing scrollbars (up and with the anniversary update) and offers a dark mode, all other scroll bars, even the ones within Edge's settings menu, disappear and hide themselves.

The Win10 UI glitches are a drop in the ocean compared to the buggy shitfest Linux desktop.

Attached: 120423050950-lebanon-landfill-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg (980x552, 313K)

why do you keep spamming this thread two times a week

yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night

Does this only happen if you have labels hidden? I have labels showing and they don't flicker.

>whatever makes you sleep at night

Like thumbnails in the file explorer?

Nope, can't get it to flicker... Is there a trick to it?
t. LTSB user.

Install GNU+Linux.

If you want to see something flicker real hard, just install any given NT between at least 3.5x and Win7, and log out while having at least one window up.

you can change it moron

Attached: cuck.png (1186x855, 409K)

Use plasma 5.

Those scrollbars are gay as fuck. I tried that. They look like they're from 2004.

still better than white bars that blow up your eyes

There's also the problem of the highlight staying on an icon on the taskbar and not going away. It's been an issue since Windows 7.

Attached: winbabbiesBTFO.webm (464x536, 420K)

I have seen things 10 times worse on linux.

chrome also has good overlay scrollbars

At least with GNU/Linux you can fix them yourself with some programming knowledge.

>spend your days fixing bugs for your home OS rather than actually working on literally anything else
absolutely revolting

No, using proprietary operating systems is actually revolting.

maybe its for the shitty oled screens so the menus wont burn on the screen

>Not just raising an issue on github and getting a fix

If that doesn't work it's not like you don't have 5 other programs capable that you can switch to.

>spend your days fixing your home OS
>once you've done this work it is literally fixed for everyone else using the same OS forever

how did you get that

I noticed that today. Really glitchy.

The fuck do you guys do to your OS? Never had any of those problems.

>for everyone else
>using the same exact hardware and software setup***

just remove the icons, problem solved

non of my windows 10 machines show that problem

Meanwhile loonix cant even do graphics without 3rd party software. Sad.

>Cant do graphics without 3rd party software
>Open-Source OS
You must be a special type of stupid my friend

It's only proprietary if you don't put in the effort to reprogram the games to run on linux.

Stop it!

Attached: 1520896104034.png (27x32, 3K)

It's the other icons partying since you threw Edge in the garbage.

(you)
>sage = downboated
(((you))) belong in a fire

Attached: 1528356992724.png (375x392, 88K)

HEY CAN I TYPE IN CAPS WITH YOU TOO, I THINK THAT WILL REALLY GET MY POINT ACROSS CAUSE I'M YELLING ON THE INTERNET

Shame about the glitches
I'm gonna miss the aesthetics of W10

They’re trying to tell you that the taskbar should be hidden instead of always visible

Attached: 1398809755507.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

daily reminder there's literally an autist spamming the same bullshit win 10 webms and gifs about fake issues like "flicker" or broken start menu for months (years?) now

>fake issues like "flicker" or broken start menu
Nice try Kumar, but both of those happen on the latest stable version. I've had the start menu freeze several times and the only way to restore it was to kill cortana.exe and let it reload.

Works on 7

Oh no, KDE crashed again!

hahah this is pajeet engineering at its finest

Pajeet "engineering" at its finest is the see-through title bar in the photo viewer and nothing else. Shit looked so out of place I disabled it and never looked back. Also on the calculator, when it becomes opaque when not focused which is the exact opposite of what transparency is supposed to be for.

>You're as annoying as that "paying over $50 for a phone" poster.
he's probably the same retard

>thumbnails
this isn't a problem anymore, slowpoke
check webm related

Attached: 1487474459380.webm (1123x1014, 832K)

>Windows 10's dark mode is literally just color inversion

That's just embarrassing.

> what is there to do
i started working on this gist.github.com/fanfare/1b1a5c0c0dd8aedeaaab45d5513525e0 to try and overcome the issue. it was close but i gave up because i knew it wouldnt be perfect 100% of the time plus the cpu went into overdrive when you put the mouse in the taskbar area.

here's how i think it can be fixed once and for all, although i dont know enough about how memory works in windows to do it. if you use something like jacquelin.potier.free.fr/winapioverride32/ and get the address in memory of the shchangenotify function maybe you could overwrite the memory space of the function in shell32 to prevent calls made specifically the SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED and SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE requests. maybe some ultra autist could figure it out,

Hy, Femanon :3

Attached: 1392058203274.png (1996x1572, 262K)

Windows 7, when they actually tried.

What version are you on? I just updated my laptop and I have yet to experience your problem

Attached: 1514772894320.jpg (1508x1000, 271K)

s(he)'s mine, dipshit

Different user, but I have this problem on Win10 LTSB.

I first rightclick desktop and make a new .txt, no flickering.
I drag it into the recycling bin, no flickering.
I empty the recycling bin, flickering.

>needing to patch a browser for basic functionality

Never have I had this problem.

Doesn't happen here (17730)!

You're not off the hook,

It's been there since 2015, lol.

W8.1, Intel GPU, couldn't reproduce.

only happening on w10

Who the fuck uses w10? /v/?

Seems to only happen to you on your particular machine. Not reproducible.

Not him but it happens on every single Win 10 Pro device I have, I even just now installed a fresh copy in a VM and it has the same issue.

Literally no one.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-07 Desktop Windows Version Market Share Worldwide StatCounter Global Stats.png (1208x120, 87K)