Rejecting the UNIX philosophy is not a bug

Rejecting the UNIX philosophy is not a bug.

Attached: 20180806_005954.jpg (429x566, 142K)

systemd is the largest software that does absolutely nothing

Yeah, it's not a bug, it's a design error. You could iron out all the bugs but it would still be a piece of shit by design.

We get it, we know you're gay.

Attached: IMG_20180805_123252.jpg (423x571, 37K)

SystemD is the foundation of the standard Linux desktop

GNU's not unix.

Attached: 1518203335397.png (1000x820, 1.13M)

systemd consists of 69 different programs. It's no less modular than init. The only difference is that all these programs are developed by the same group and shipped as one package.

And he's right. Proprietary software sucks.

(1/2)
In his blog, Lennart Poettering claims that systemd is not monolithic by pointing out that it is made of upwards of 69 separate binaries. This is a non sequitur, because "modular" and "monolithic" are not mutually exclusive terms.

A piece of software is modular if it is decomposable into distinct functional units such that each unit addresses a specific concern. Systemd, the Linux kernel, and X.org are all examples of modular software. Systemd addresses its concerns with its binaries, the Linux kernel with loadable kernel modules, and X.org with its drivers and extensions.

Now, a piece of software is monolithic if its components (if it has any at all) are tightly coupled--that is, components logically depend on one another to the point where using them in different contexts requires re-implementing the missing ones. Examples include Linux and X.org--in Linux's case, you can't use a kernel module without the kernel, the kernel can't run without the requisite kernel modules to interface with the hardware, and you can't use a Linux kernel module with other kernels or as a stand-alone program. Similarly, you can't use an X video driver without the X server, you can't use the X server without at least one video driver, and you can't use X's video drivers with other graphics managers or as stand-alone programs.

Linux is a kernel you twat.

(2/2)
Under these definitions, systemd qualifies as both modular and monolithic. You cannot run journald without systemd, and cannot run systemd without journald (at least, not without losing logging for systemd-supervised programs). None of the *ctl programs work without systemd, nor do its collection of systemd-*d daemons. It used to be possible to run logind separately, but not anymore. According to the systemd developers, udev will likely be next to hard-depend on systemd. The point is, despite the fact that systemd is comprised of multiple binaries, the hierarchical logical coupling between them means that it is more accurate to think of them as extensions to systemd-PID-1 that just happen to run in separate address spaces. They are not truly independent, composable programs.

By contrast, examples of modular, non-monolithic software include GNU coreutils, the s6 supervisor system, DJB's daemontools, and the GNU compiler collection. Not only are these applications broken into modules, but you can use the modules largely independently of one another in different contexts, composing them together to accomplish more complex tasks than the individual modules themselves can handle.

Now, "modular vs non-modular" and "monolithic vs non-monolithic" are continuous trade-offs. Systemd is less monolithic and more modular than, say, the "ls" program. But it is more monolithic than any of the non-monolithic examples above, due to the inter-binary logical coupling they exhibit.

Void GNU/Linux + runit, no systemd here and it just works.

Did a 1Gb update the other day, after not updating for about a month. It went flawlessly.

Neither is Linux.

Attached: spoillers.png (320x320, 18K)

Great.

Now if they could just update a lead developer.

Mods!

Pictures of assholes are not allowed on Jow Forums!

>Rejecting the UNIX philosophy
Only an idiot would do that.

I use CloverOS, which is just Linux + dhcpcd + portage

based poettering desu

Attached: 1499782374841.jpg (548x788, 80K)

What is the init system that is the folows the Unix philosophy the best?

openrc, it's slow as molasses,

>Rejecting the UNIX philosophy is not a bug.
It's a coming out.

sinit

I dont even care about muh unix philosophy. Potteringware just feels like a mistake.

You're all retarded fucking brainlet cattle. Systemd might not be the best init system but arguing about it is exactly what the glow in the dark CIA niggers want.

how will complaining about their shitty init benefit them?

>Potteringware just feels like a mistake.
It's a blessing for systems administration and literally means money in the bank as a result of faster boot times.Nobody cares about you and your thinkpad,sorry.

Void's "lead developer" hasn't been active in their community for well over a year-and-a-half and yet they've done fine. They've already migrated from their former account that was locked out by his absence. They're doing fine.

I thank the good lord every day for void. Truly the best distro i have ever used. Easy/fast install script, everything (including wifi) just werks, never breaks on updates no matter how long i put them off, no autism devs making you do things their way (i.e. the arch way), no systemd, boots up almost instantly, has almost every package i need (only thing i needed to compile was a package to use i3 on top of xfce), boots up almost instantly. Whats not to love?

people who care about philosophy shouldn't be using linux in the first place, use BSD

What if his intention is just to kill the plethora of meme distros so all that remains is just systemd? No more Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch and Gentoo, just solely systemd. Once it can snatch packages from depos, that's it, it's over.

Linux is a kernel.

The Linux kernel is only part of the Linux operating system.

muslim terrorists love to kill people.
why not him and his friends, dear muslim terrorists.

>depos

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x968, 46K)

>He uses a bloated monolithic web browser
>He doesn't browse Jow Forums by piping curl into various programs
I thought you cared about the UNIX philosophy?

>There is nothing wrong with setting up your init system to control DNS, to phone google servers, and to allow remote control
>Dude it's technology dude
(((SystemD)))

bugs are also not_a_bug, wont_fix

It's not a bug but it is a crime

Are the interactions between these programs are standardized and stabilized in any way?

>I'm a cuck and need a bull to tell me what to do
Leaders are not necessary you little bitch.