What's the difference between Ubuntu and Fedora?

What's the difference between Ubuntu and Fedora?

Attached: 228eb116b6f511bd8a541168b2e57944.jpg (1065x1375, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=how to tie a noose
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lmgtfy.com/?q=how to tie a noose

I don't think Fedora is built off of Debian for one, the file systems most likely different, as well as the package managers.
Ubuntu is crap compared to even other Debian based distros.

You should leave computer things to Uiharu, Kuroko

Basically fedora is better then ubuntu

The software that comes installed.

One sucks canonical cock, one ducks red hat cock. Install a community distro instead.

Ooga booga vs. Atheism

Ubuntu and Fedora are both distributions of Linux. Linux is a kernel, which can broadly be described as the foundation of an operating system. See this for more details: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux . Because building a usable machine out of nothing but a kernel is difficult and needlessly time consuming, people have since gotten together and released different distributions of Linux. Each distribution contains things like graphical interfaces, driver packages, file systems, etc. that make up what most people call an operating system.

So Ubuntu and Fedora are both distributions of Linux and thus share that foundation, but the things added on top of that foundation differ. If you want to know more, consult real sources rather than anonymous strangers on the internet.

Just one tip: lots of people on Jow Forums like to hype up rare and obscure distributions of Linux - hence why "install Gentoo" is a meme - and by extension shit on Ubuntu for being the most popular and most user friendly distribution of Linux. I work as a software developer. Plenty of my hard-core Linux co-workers use Ubuntu. It works out of the box, and it lets you get shit done. If you want to install Arch Linux or Gentoo and have fun, go ahead - I've done it my self and it's a blast. But for first-time Linux users I'd recommend Ubuntu any day of the week.

Several.
-different package managers.
-different cores (obongo: debian; fedora: redhat)
-different 'tudes about non-free stuff (fedora: hell no; ubuntu: sure why not)

If you're a noob and you're asking which one you should get: neither. Get elementaryOS, the current newfag-proof distro. It's ubuntu with a cute, stable GUI on top. Great for beginners.

Ubuntu means Humanity
Fedora means to lack it

One spies on you, the other makes passes at women that are way out of their league.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

While I understand how Ubuntu is nice for first time users, in my opinion Linux Mint is still really user friendly and honestly looks a lot nicer.

Filesystem is whichever you choose during installation.

The real difference is repository status, fedora stays much more up to date. Package manager is different too, dnf is slower but better (uses delta packages). I think some defaults might be different too, like fedora comes with SElinux on.

Obligatory:

> Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux" or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" I think is just ridiculous.

- Linux Torvalds

>community distro
it's all fun and games until a developer flips out

Cinnamon > GNOME3
which is not saying much but hey, at least it's not KDE

>"we live in a society"
>a stylish hat that gives you a plethora of tools and makes you feel euphoric

KDE is the best now boy, it uses like 400mb on kubuntu

it has never and will never be the best. It's cute, light, but it crashes like hell. It's an Eternal Alpha product and should be avoided like the plague.

Fedora is truly open-source and prioritizes open-source over user experience. That being said, fedora is incredibly good and just works.

Attached: i_think_OP_might_be_a_faggot.jpg (727x720, 213K)

Ignore the filename.

Attached: not_amused.jpg (1920x1080, 250K)

>google
>applelĀ© ious
No

One Linux distro is polished and works really well for users, with almost every question answered already on online forums, and heaps of third party package support.

The other is used and made almost exclusively by redhat employees, for redhat employees, to act as a testbed for redhat business interests. This isn't an anti-systemd post.

If you work with redhat Linux at your job then use Fedora.

If you're anyone else then use Ubuntu.

Attached: download_20180429_183637.jpg (1152x2048, 494K)

Attached: 6591459fb5cc9a7b023adfc220c75bb3.jpg (972x1000, 98K)

>rare and obscure
>Gentoo
What did he mean by this?