fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The community.

It is not GPLv3+

The fact that I busted a fat nut in your mom last night

fpbp

systemd

systemd

The lack of representation of women and people of color. They play a far more important role in linux than "contributors" ever will. Thankfully Google is taking steps to change that.

Proprietary blobs.

the braindead community that accepted systemd!!

Attached: Capture_20180530073953.png (391x391, 193K)

systemd

This man.

Attached: foetering.jpg (864x576, 161K)

not programmed in lisp

SELinux

Microsoft sponsorship.

This man writes free software. Fuck off dumb meme parrot.

He ruins free software.

Most things regarding desktop usage feels half assed. Shit drivers. Shit support with certain hardware (nvidia). Lack of popular software.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Has no good alternatives to Microsoft Excel

Its sound architect is retarded.

Windows has better memory management.

The audio stack is absolutely retarded.

The X windows system

Graphics drivers cant use all the GPUs capabilities

Most package managers are stupid

Linux is scam.
>advertises itself with freedon
>while shipping non-free blobs
>claims being an OS and a kernel
>is actually just a kernel

Linux does not claim to be a full operating system, only a kernel and nothing more. The standalone linux kernel does not ship with any nonfree software. However, anyone has the freedom to take the Linux kernel, combine it with a bunch of proprietary blobs, drivers, and programs, and then bundle it together as a separate distribution. This is not the fault or responsibility of Linux. Any open source software is subject to this, paradoxically because of the total freedom of modification and redistribution it offers to the user. It is your responsibility to use distributions which respect your freedom.

the audio stuff has gotten a lot better in recent years, partly because of the stuff systemd has done.

systemd hasn't solved most of the problems it promised it would solve, and it's caused a lot of problems in the process. The security issues with systemd are scary for linux's relevance in the server world.

wayland has a long way to go but it's very promising (Plasma w/ wayland still crashes on my laptop sometimes, but when it works it's magnificent), and X has been showing signs of age for quite a while now.

the thing that will always make linux superior/easier to work with compared to windows is package managers, but there's only so far you can go with a package manager. apt is about as perfect as an application can get, and yum and pacman aren't that far behind (don't know enough about the others to comment).

If systemd was an actual security risk RHEL wouldn't have adopted it.

I could post the whole copypasta about the problems with Systemd, but it's been posted in another thread already
That's not to say I disagree with everything RedHat pushes. I for one actually like yum/dnf more than apt, as apt's search always gives me like 100 completely unrelated results for some reason. I like that they recommend Vsftpd highly (just seems like a solid choice for ftpd/sftpd). Wayland is clearly the way to go when it comes to GUIs. etc. Like any rational person, I hate on them when they ruin things, and give them praise when they get it right.

I trust RedHat a lot more than Jow Forums and random old bug posts from years ago.

Screen tearing

The community. Specially because most of them can't even program.

i agree, thats why i want the GNU to fork and start using a FreeBSD kernel and init system

RHEL is a NSA government backdoor

i know this is bait but there are plenty of women in linux
debian.org/women/
archwomen.org
wiki.ubuntu-women.org
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women

Attached: debian women.jpg (600x450, 47K)

>as apt's search always gives me like 100 completely unrelated results for some reason.
Apt has a retarded default that it searches both package names and descriptions. You can change that though.
echo 'APT::Cache::NamesOnly "true";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99namesonly

>an optional userspace init daemon is why GNU should switch kernels
I want summer to end already

Looks like the TA from the movie Roadtrip

>Being free is an excuse for being shit
Top-tier argument.

Pretty much everything but the freedom of choice.

audio is pre windows 95

Fragmentation
Outdated and not working drivers

But one thing that got better are programs, the fact that we are doing or can do most of our work in a browser really worked in favor for Linux

>(nvidia)
Don't blame GNU/Linux because you're a retard and bought from a company known in engaging in anti-consumer practices and being an enemy of open-source projects

Based

Amd or Nvidia does not matter. Both will give you terrible performance when compared to windows drivers. But there isnt really any reason for a gpu on linux anyway.

>Being free is an excuse for being shit
It would be, if that software was handled by someone who wasn't an incompetent German baboon.

X

i still use X, because the software i use depends on it, but it's way past it's prime, we use basically none of it's original functionality, and what's left just gets in the way. it's still around because replacing such a critical piece of software is /really/ hard.

fedora

Attached: fedora.jpg (1143x291, 64K)

she thicc

>she
what did they mean by this?

Fuck off Poettering no one likes you.

I am reading up on this slap fight, and am curious why anyone would fall for this middle school tier shit flinging by Stallman. Those who refer to Linux as gnu/Linux, I have a few questions

Why is gnu before Linux? Isn't Linux inherently more low level? This seems to intentionally make Linux look like an add on to gnu, or worse a gnu package outright.

What is an acceptable use case for gnu/Linux? For general systems that use the Linux kernel, it seems really dumb to assume that they use gnu userland, c libs, etc. So in that use case it's not appropriate. The next use case is distributions, and I feel like it is the distribution creator to decide that. For instance, Ubuntu isnt even called Linux at all, it's just "Ubuntu". Or is that terrible ethically?

This whole thing seems like a lame popularity contest from the fsf and an ugly one too. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here, but it just seems that this convention is obviously flawed.

be honest Jow Forums
would you do her?

while the majority of contributors are not working for a specific company, companies shape the development of linux in a commercial way that's sometimes unhealthy (see kernel security, regression debate about security patches eg linux vs grsecurity)
linux security is mediocre due to linus and the commercial community not giving a shit or selling out
desktop environments are all garbage and have fundamental design flaws
the community is either a bunch of elitist faggots or a bunch of dumb shits that are even to lazy to google, let alone read a manpage (the typical fa/g/got you find here)
distributions using different parameters, different manpages and different configuration syntax for essentially the same shit is super annoying
upgrade functionality in most distros is pure shit. i have yet to see a distro besides gentoo that runs just fine after a major version upgrade

To answer the first question, i think its gnu/linux and not linux/gnu because the kernel is the most important bit, which generally goes last in the english language (example: you say red car, not car red, because its the fact that its a car that is important).

Sometimes it just doesn't work

mounting network drives is pure utter shit

Lol
Back to oven

It doesn't like my dualshock 3 for some reason

UNIX permissions are inferior to NT

Attached: Windows+vs.+Unix+Category+Windows+UNIX+Number+of+permissions[1].jpg (960x720, 81K)

NFS is a joke.

You just want to safely access your server across the internet? You have to set up an entire LDAP and Kerberos infrastructure just for that.

Attached: f3355516912.jpg (220x146, 7K)

don't a lot of places use Samba basically just to avoid NFS's retarded security model, even if they don't need any windows compatibility?

free software is required to be good software, but it does not guarantee good software

sshfs is really nice and easy to use

>i have yet to see a distro besides gentoo that runs just fine after a major version upgrade
You mean that you eventually ran into issues on other distros and not that they failed 100% of the time, right? Also, have you use any other rolling release distros? Ironically, the least stable distros I've used where non-rolling Debian-based ones.

>ZFS on Linux
Will never be integrated into the kernel so will never become as stable or fast as it could be. Can't deal with different sized disks in RAIDZ, can't expand or shrink them easily either
>BTRFS
After 5+ years RAID56 still only kinda works (no more random corruption and shit, maybe.) kinda doesn't (write hole)
>bcachefs
Waiting skeleton
>single node CEPH with Bluestore
Learning a clusterfuck of Red Hat shit just to store some files but I might give it a shot.

Attached: 1518354898745.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

> You just want to safely access your server across the internet?
NFS over VPN would work. You aren't going to open your ports to the entire internet, are you?

fuck no!

Constant requirement to compile from source to install basically anything

> >BTRFS
> RAID56
It's not the UNIX way, if you want RAID, set up mdadm or HW raid and format it into any filesystem. Same goes for RAIDZ on ZFS.

this

no, package managers make everything much harder
see in windows you just clickity-click an .exe and it installs 2 seconds boom icon on your desktop or in the start menu
imagine being an actual normie and being told that to install something you need to run a bunch of terminal commands or add a PPA or some shit

>claims being an OS and a kernel
where?

Linux has ACLs as well, however multiple permissions mean it's hard to master them.

Red Hat, Gnome, Poettering, NSA

This is the difference between Linux and Windows. I believe it is the core difference, their philosophy.
On Windows, you need to remember how to do this specific thing. Click twice, buttons are placed there and there, click that button several times, done. Or, type in exe filename, enter, tick here and there, if it throws a error, check that sub-menu, third tab, tick a checkbox and you should be good to go.
On Linux, you need to understand the logic behind everything and memorize very little compared to Windows. Once you get a grip on how it behaves, you'll be able to do multiple operations on all of the software. I mean, there are logs for everything, or at least it's possible to strace it.

>ONLY GAYMURS NEED GPUs
wrong
>GPU OPERATIONS ARE SLOWER UNDER LOONIX
wrong
See: render farms, altcoin mining

>It's not the UNIX way
The "layering violations" that Btrfs and ZFS have are necessary for the core feature of checksummed self-healing data. The filesystem needs to be in cahoots with the RAID layer to be able to say "Hey, you coughed up bad data. I know because of the checksum. Give me this same data from the other side of the mirror/reconstructed from parity"

fuck yes

FPBP

but a car can be just any car, but a _red_ car is a car that's red. I admit I've never heard Linux/GNU before, but I think it makes more sense

I worked with Debian, Suse and Red Hat the last ~7 years and by far the worst system failures i have seen were due to upgrade on debian based distros. Suse is a shitshow specially when it comes to multiarch, Red Hat themselves say they don't support major version upgrade because it's just to high of a risk that shit breaks, same as on fedora.

>Also, have you use any other rolling release distros?
Besides gentoo, not really no, i tried arch for a couple of hours like 10 years ago or so but was annoyed by how unstable things were.

The only OS i have seen major version upgrades work surprisingly well is on OpenBSD.

Holy fuck, those links are actually real.

Attached: 1505649154928.png (394x360, 144K)

I feel a sudden urge to purge my debian system right now.
Is gentoo still save? Oh boy i better start installing right away.

Attached: infinite_sweat_works.jpg (426x341, 34K)

>in windows you just clickity-click an .exe and it installs 2 second
because everything in windows is this unverified unsigned statically linked bloated binary that extracts hundreds of DLLs into a directory and creates a shortcut to the desktop

linux actually takes things more seriously and doesn't do such a shit job at software installation

arch is suuuuper stable for me, never had any crashes at all

linux.com

>i tried arch for a couple of hours like 10 years ago or so but was annoyed by how unstable things were.
idk how thing were 10 years ago, but i've been using arch for 6 years without any major issues

echo 'APT::Cache::NamesOnly "true";' | sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99namesonly
I misread her name as "Christine Food."

Linux actually has games. I installed this OS to get shit done, but all I do is play games.

Linux is nonfree software since 1993. Stop lying to yourself.
If you want a free Linux you have to deblob it yourself or install a fork like Linux-libre.

Linux is not an OS. It's just a kernel.

why bother with the tee?

> very recent versions of many packages
> don't need to recompile things to get debug symbols, as I would in arch
fedora is actually really good

Attached: be.jpg (480x336, 13K)

Pasting this.
* Common flaws of Un*x clones
** File system
*** allows spaces in filenames
*** no relational features
** Sharing resources over network not first-class
** Commands have inconsistent syntax
** GUI and sound not standardized
** Permission model instead of capabilities
* Linux- and major distro-specific
** iptables

The only good thing about Linux is not being Windows

Why would you be debugging any fedora packages?

/thread

it's Linux that does a shit job in the end tho

back
to
leddit