I'm forced to use this piece of shit for work. How do I make it tolerable?

I'm forced to use this piece of shit for work. How do I make it tolerable?

Attached: macoshero.jpg (770x602, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

brew.sh/
github.com/jaywcjlove/awesome-mac
github.com/iCHAIT/awesome-macOS
support.apple.com/guide/safari/keyboard-and-other-shortcuts-cpsh003/mac
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install gentoo on a vm

Install Gentoo.

Get a soul lobotomy

Open Terminal and stop being a retard.

>complaining about using an OS
how fucking childish are you

auto hide dock and top bar, customise keyboard shortcuts and gestures, its really not that hard you faggot

Its work. It functions exactly the same as Windows for productivity software, so who gives a shit?

Homebrew

macports

Short answer: use the terminal more.
I believe it comes with ssh and emacs out of the box, although if you like graphical emacs, I think aquamacs is tailored for mac os specifically. You'll probably want a package manager, and maybe iterm2 or some other third party terminal. It may also be more comfortable to do a lot of your cli work on a remote machine over ssh rather than locally on the machine, if you're more comfortable with GNU or BSD.

I think you can also install X11 and theme it similar to how you would GNU/Linux, but it's treated as a totally separate environment that doesn't work alongside the native programs of mac os, so it's hard to recommend.

>how fucking childish are you
I don't think it's childish. It's like being in prison and getting the chance to call a friend. To some it may seem like an all-positive opportunity, but to others, they may have trouble getting over the fact that the call is monitored and they cannot speak comfortably with their friend. This is what it's like to use non-free software.

quit, I did that unironically

/thread

>its really not that hard you faggot
It's hard. Really.
Especially if you need to whine about having to use a Mac to keep your fragile ego intact.

macOS is the only decent product from Apple. The problem is you're jew'd into overpriced shitty hardware to use it.

I don't get what user finds THAT bad about MacOS, though. Despite what people here say about it, it's a really easy operating system to use.

I'd just deal with it personally, it's an operating system, how does this actually affect your daily life?

iTerm2.

Forced macfag here. I might be able to offer some tips.
First, remember that MacOS is a UNIX OS, complete with the full command-line experience that comes with those.
Get Homebrew.
brew.sh/
Apple does not ship a package manager with MacOS, so you have to install it separately with that. Once you have it you can use it much like apt, yum, pacman, etc to get all your favorite *nix stuff.

So MacOS has a dock at the bottom (or the left if you want) that has your currently running programs and all your pinned programs. Unlike on Windows, closing an application by clicking the close button in the window border doesn't really "close" it. To actually close your programs, right click their icons on the dock and click quit.

One thing to get used to is that the command key kinda acts as a second control key. Many actions you normally do with ctrl will be done with command on MacOS. So cut is command+c rather than ctrl+c. This makes using the terminal much easier though, as commands for visually cutting and pasting text don't interfere with the terminal escape codes (ctrl+c for quit, ctrl+d for EOF).

That's what I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

Force your boss to buy a used T420 specially for you.

>I'd just deal with it personally, it's an operating system, how does this actually affect your daily life?
Not sure how anyone can actually think this. It's literally the most important piece of software you can run on your computer.

Stop being homophobic. It's easily the best OS available.

Attached: 1532839834953.jpg (550x413, 48K)

lol

>This is what it's like to use non-free software.
blatant delusion right here. You don't have to pay for non-free software btw so lets get the money factor out of the way. "Non-free" software are always better than their opensource/freeware alternative in the multimedia fields, prime examples of this is Adobe software, fcpx, whatever apple's music app is, compared to darktable/gimp/ufraw so on and so forth.

if your daily life and workflow is somehow fucked over by an OS, you're doing life wrong.

Oh thought of some more
"Task manager" is called "Activity monitor"
"Notepad" is called "TextEdit". You may see an app called "Notes", but that one is a dedicated note-taking app with image embed support and iCloud sync.
You can actually get Microsoft Office on Macs, unlike Linux. It's proprietary, but it works great. LibreOffice is solid for me on other OSes, but on MacOS, the experience there is abysmal, with a lot more bugs and quirks than the other platforms.
What said might be legit. I became homosexual after extended exposure to MacOS. However, I don't think the OS is 100% to blame, so don't worry. I probably would have become a fag had I used something else anyway. If your heterosexuality is strong, you shouldn't be affected.
When browsing around in Finder, hit space when you have something selected to show a "preview". This is essentially a quick way to view your images without opening a full-blown image viewer program.

>You don't have to pay for non-free software btw so lets get the money factor out of the way
I was never talking about money and I'm not sure why you brought it up.
the rest of what you said is not worth replying to, you've probably heard the other side plenty of times

If the operating system on your computer significantly affects your daily life, there's something wrong.

You'll spend a few days getting used to stuff and then you'll deal with it, honestly.

I agree, I can't stand FAG OS, OP.

Attached: 001.jpg (3280x2460, 1.18M)

Adjusting to change isn't exactly the problem. For one, Mac OS and Windows are non-free software. If you have freed yourself, going backwards is painful.

wow, you put the only worse OS on there

>the rest of what you said is not worth replying to, you've probably heard the other side plenty of times
I've used their alternatives, searched and tried them all, linux used to be my main OS after getting sick of Windows and I resolved the money issue because the main point of whiners "non-free" is directly related the money arguemnt, otherwise you would've called it opensource.

:^)
(^:

its okay to change your mind and adapt the fact that there are better alternatives to what you know, denial and neglect is for those needing an ego defence. It's okay to stupid, its not okay to be ignorant.

>buying a MacBook to put windows on it

worst of both worlds, user

How does that affect you on a daily basis?

Windows is objectively the worst operating system in the world today. I would rather use North Korea's Mac OS clone.

You can't.

Attached: 1513621359268.jpg (1024x768, 232K)

Exactly. Go sniff Richard Stallman's ballsweat, OP.

same way with any OS. learn or create your own (ty kde) keyboard shortcuts.

>twoguyskissing.jpg

>auto hide top bar
for what purpose

Attached: 1528392910659.jpg (400x300, 35K)

Hot

North Korea uses Windows XP

Imstall karabiner, it lets you fix the shitty gimmick keyboard layout
Install hyperswitch, it lets you have reasonable window switching
Pay for ubar if you want a taskbar instead of the retarded dock

Attached: 1533529824421.jpg (770x602, 44K)

Is there a way to maximise windows without the shitty default behaviour where they essentially move to a different workspace and you can't have any windows above them?

Attached: Tom Hanks, thanks, thumbs up.jpg (405x348, 44K)

Option click the green plus button.

Nah, that doesn't work. Now the button just gives me the behaviour it used to have a few years ago. I might look for a cracked version of Magnet.

Install the following:
Alfred
AppCleaner
Bartender
DiskinventoryX
HWMonitor
Karabiner
MPV
OnyX
Spectacle
Transmission
VOX
XLD

More here:
github.com/jaywcjlove/awesome-mac
github.com/iCHAIT/awesome-macOS

Do the work you are paid for. If it's too much to ask, find another job.

>using mac is so horrible that people need to pay me to do it

OP is being a snowflake retard, people are forced to use software all the time in a business environment and he should be professional about it and just learn the software, he's too worried about his Jow Forums cred and likely larping to begin with.

>>using mac is so horrible that people need to pay me to do it
Thus if they pay you...

It's tolerable out of the box. iTerm2 and MacPorts make it pretty good.

It's not like macOS is that limited an operating system that it's a struggle to use.

OP just doesn't want to try switching from his super special linux distro.

These. I don't use macports though, brew is way more convenient and doesn't require you pull down gcc in order to start compiling stuff. But yeah, iTerm2 is a godsend and is unironically the superior terminal emulator I've ever used on Linux or any other OS.

Although we all love the perfume of warm oil and the humm of the motors, we need to move forward and embrace the new tech. I will never forget the good times.

Attached: teletype.jpg (768x1024, 440K)

The problem with the example is that for a call with free software you'd have to build a phone line, the phone and pray that your friend on the other side is willing to do it all too. Only to have the call randomly crash all the time anyway.

Install:
Homebrew
iTerm2
Geany
the X.org compatibility layer
Use it with a standard mouse with a dedicated right click
Replacements to apples Browser, and email.
I would recommend you replace Finder with another FM like Double Commander or something. Because Finder lacks alot of features, the biggest is that you cant see hidden files...
VLC
Try to not to login to the App store because as soon as you do you will be harassed by it.

Uninstall:
Notes and Numbers because they destroy any Ms,Libre or Open -office file they come in contact with.

>can't see hidden files
Yes you can, cmd + shift + period.

its not really nessissary since everything can be done with the keyboard. Most people don't bother learning how to use the keyboard, its fucking hilarious.

install gentoo

Do you think someone who has to use macOS for work is going to put the effort into learning all of the keyboard shortcuts, though?

This is the list of shortcuts for safari alone.
support.apple.com/guide/safari/keyboard-and-other-shortcuts-cpsh003/mac

For real?
Kill me different!

Double-click the gray window toolbar area. Works on every application since it is native to the OS.

Also, there is so much misinformation in this thread it’s no wonder Jow Forums never does anything remotely productive.

>iTerm2 for my ls command is better than default OSX Terminal

Use option or option + shift

Its not even hard to learn. I've learned all the keyboard shortcuts for mac OS and for the software I use in less than 2 hours. I never use the "point and click" interface for any OS, windows and unix included. I'm sorry you can't learn.

TextMate instead of Geany
Don't install the Xorg stuff it's basically unsupported and broken
Finder is great, and you can show/hide hidden files easily with CMD + Shift + Period
Use Notes + iWork as its great, fuck libre office. That shit looks like a bad Windows 95 skin.

If you can use gnu+Linux you can spend the five seconds to learn how to launch terminal with a keyboard shortcut

Ask to be let go. If they are using macs, it's probably not a job worth doing anyway.

I used to hate mac becuase it was too expensive, but I never actually used a mac. In my current work they didn't let me use my pc at the beggining and used a work mac instead. I ended up loving it. The terminal is unix too, pretty similar to what I knew, I loved macvim. So don't be a faggot and use it.

Poo in the fucking loo Pajeet.

Not him, but you're a retard. gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

North Korea uses Red Star OS. It is a Mac OS clone. Earlier versions did look much closer to Windows, though.

Attached: Redstar3.0.png (1021x769, 361K)

>Likes MacOS and its applications
This thread is not for you.

lol
It's super frustrating thinking of someone spending all that time setting up their Mac like a linux box with whatever foss crap you can find at the other end of a google search. There's loads of great macOS software.

mactoddlers have defended this

I had a similar experience but in reverse sort of.
I didnt like the way apple fucked over their users so i never bought a Mac.
I started working at a new company that just thought that everyone wanted a Mac so i got one.
The more i learned about it the more i disliked it!
None of the killer apps seemed any better than their rivals
I found the UI dated because alot of functions seemed like an afterthought
I didnt want to commit to their ecosystem so i lost alot of functions.
I didnt like their hardware, Sloppy keyboards, chargers broke all the time,
a huge array of ports that went obsolete in just e year or two leading to almost everyone in the company having different needs for adapters,
sharp corners that hindered me for resting my hands on the keyboard while typing.
Problems like staingate and ridiculous costs to repair things lead to people spending 3-4 times as much money on hardware compared to buiyng a work-grade laptop from ex HP, Lenovo or DELL.
The programs people used and said made the Mac so wonderfull lacked alot of features. Mail.APP had no way of automating signatures. Notes and Numbers converted all other office file types making them useless. Keychain lost passwords on a regular basis forcing us at IT to have a gigantic KeePass DB with passwords.
Then There are the lack of basic WM stuff like Tiling (WIN + [Arrow Key]) and minimizing all windows.
The Virtual desktop feature is as usefull as ALT + TAB through maximized programs.
Alot of users had only used macs since college so they didnt understand anything beside apple programs like Microsoft Office, Admin pages or handling things like Archived files
In my opinion a Mac is just a PC with cancer...
There are no benefits of buying one that i can see beside subjective ones.
So arguments like
-It just werks
-It Looks sooooooo good!
-At least they dont crash!
-They are so easy to manage
-They are just "Out of the box"
Does not hold any water...

> Its Unix guys! They are certified!
> Can i install my *nix programs on it?
>Why would you do that? It ruins the experience™!

We want to use software that work cross platform or at least in the Unix family and isnt bound to one out of hundreds of OS:es