Why haven't you installed gentoo, Jow Forums?

Why haven't you installed gentoo, Jow Forums?

Attached: install-gentoo.jpg (400x400, 17K)

It's shit.

fpbp

I installed it and then uninstalled it and replaced it with Debian because it was too much of a hassle.

It literally costs money to use Gentoo because of the constant compiling. High electric bills, worn out HDDs, overheating components, etc.

"Debian is too hard to install." Grand Wizard Linus Torvalds

Install arch or gentoo instead.

Attached: linus-torvalds.jpg (299x168, 10K)

. . . compile, compile, compile . . .

>wasting electricity on placebo compiling
stop, people distribute binaries for a reason

I don't have a whole day to tinker with my OS

t. faggot

t. poorfag

buy a threadripper

t. brainlet

But you do have a whole day to post on Jow Forums...

Windows XP is better

I prefer ME

I did and I'm loving it. I literally have no complaints so I will be running this for a long time. thank you Jow Forums. most of you treat is as a meme but it's actually really solid

I'm thinking about doing it next month for the meme status, but other than that, why should you install Gentoo?
>muh minimalism
Don't care, I am probably going to end up using all the USE flags, apart from the language ones.
I mean, how am I supposed to know whether or not I will need some functionality from a package later down the line?
>muh optimization
I don't see how an extra second or two is worth the extra half an hour of compiling.
>muh no systemd
That is a positive, I agree.
2 for 1 now.
>muh customization
What customization exactly? The stuff I'm going to be customizing i.e. DE/WM, file manager etc. are going to be just as easy to customize in, say, Void or Devuan.

Attached: 1533240826242.jpg (928x589, 137K)

when is was installing gentoo I was thinking the same way you were but trust me those claims are true and you will defiantly not be enabling all the use flags

this

>I am probably going to end up using all the USE flags
Good luck with the conflicting ones.
Also that's retarded.

I installed CloverOS

Attached: IMG_20180805_201906.jpg (3264x1836, 2.14M)

and just to add, gentoo is as good as you are. if you're an idiot and you have no clue what you're doing of course it's going to suck

Why are you using the mobile modem

>filezilla
I shiggy diggy

Attached: 1300044776986.jpg (600x600, 34K)

Don't worry about it

Summerfags please go.

oh but I have

(please kill me)

Attached: 2018-08-06-131619_1598x879_scrot.png (1598x879, 263K)

no and thank god you're not using the binary

I have to use the regular package because I need to compile it for using apulse or something like that I can't remember I set it up a while ago I'm just updating

>not using the mobile modem
Honestly spacefm handles sftp/ftp better anyways, I might actually uninstall filezilla.
Winterfags please go.

I installed it, used it for a few days. It was alright, but I don't have time to compile all day, so I went back to Arch. But overall it's a pretty solid Distro, I understand why people would use it.

Because i use Crux

Attached: crux1.jpg (723x1024, 149K)

>I don't have time to compile all day
Let portage handle it - that's what it's there for. Just tell it to start, then go and do whatever it is you do. If you're going to need to use the computer while it's compiling, you totally can - just set PORTAGE_NICENESS to a really low value (like -19) in make.conf first.

Thanks for the advice, user. I need my PC pretty much every day since I work as a web dev, so that's why , I don't really have time to let portage do its stuff. But I might give it another try. Thanks again!

t. couldn't install gentoo

I did and I love it

I am testing the distro world with mint. so far its comfortable but gentoo seems to be a neat meme.

I'm an impatient faggot with ADD who can't wait for shit to compile despite the benefits.

I'm secretly afraid of using some wrong USE flag and having to recompile everything

Attached: 1525311871485.png (678x678, 196K)

>Good luck with the conflicting ones.
I'm not really finding any examples of that, care to provide some?
>Also that's retarded.
Literally why?
How can I know what I will and will not need some time in the future?
>inb4 recompile it when you need it
And how will I know that I actually already have a package that can but needs the USE flag for ? Just hunt through everything I think might have that flag?

Attached: 1518704653762.png (544x638, 619K)

>>Also that's retarded.
>Literally why?
Because they pull in dependencies
By the way, for the basic stuff lots of the flags get enabled anyway if you select a desktop profile (which you should), most other flags are extras that you won't find enabled in sane distros for packages anyway because they are so obscure (except maybe in arch, that's why their packages are bloated)

What you should do is add the flags you know you'll need to your make.conf, set up a basic system and then check which flags you can optionally enable when installing the other crap you need

I use arch btw...

because spending 5 weeks trying to solve a single networking issue doesn't sound very fun to me. i'd rather stick to what works

linux is a meme

wintards and macfags really believe this...Yikes

still compiling
t. gentoo user

this is pretty hard to do desu

because I'm happy on arch

kill yourself

Shouldn't normally be an issue. Still, you can configure portage to save archives of the packages you build, preferably compressed with xz. That way, you can casually recover from pretty much anything if need be. Doesn't really take much space on your drive either.
Cool story, bro.
Compiling didn't take that long because my desktop was built in this decade and I use ccache.
t. intermediate gentoo user

Attached: 1532901838418.png (1920x1200, 969K)

Attached: brainlet pretending.jpg (601x508, 42K)

I'm *this* close to wiping out my sweet Gentoo i3 rice in favor of Fedora with Gnome, someone please stop me...

Your failures are your own.

why would you?

have fun not being able to add themes in

*in the future :^)

It leads the users to proprietary software.

What do you want Fedora for?

On the contrary, I'm not an idiot so I use computers as intended - to aid me and make life easier.

then why are you here?

the tutorial to install on a dos partition isn't included it literally stops after making dos partition and picks up using gpt format

All I want now is a normie "just werks" distro, and Fedora seems pretty slick to just use on defaults and I don't like Ubuntu's whole .. purple and orange .. schtick..

To get with the times as to what stereotypical spergs are into.

I could, but I don't like spending 2 hours on just upgrading my OS. I will stick to Void, thanks.

Attached: gruvscrot.png (1366x768, 295K)

Yeah, that's definitely a good use of your time.

Yep, having a chuckle at masochists is how I take breaks.

>67042993
>I don't like spending 2 hours on just upgrading my OS
We were talking about Gentoo, not Windows.

this kek

because i have something better, and better things to do with my time than compiling & more compiling and mucking around with config files

Attached: 2018-08-06-182353_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 934K)

I have

Attached: 2018-08-07-013156_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 734K)

Because i run another system. (Pls no bully)

Attached: screenFetch-2018-08-07_01-35-20.png (3840x1080, 447K)

i keep seeing you post this, and you're a faggot

So, Jow Forums i got a very old HP laptop from the attic and it's in ok condition.
Should i install gentoo on it?
t.Someone who has only used linux on a virtual machine

>t.butthurtgentoofag

>better things to do with my time than compiling
Let portage handle it - in Gentoo, you don't have to compile manually.

>Manjaro
>screenfetch
>that ascii logo
>noto sans regular
>almost no customization, everything looks like out of the box
Find other board normie.

Attached: 1479525800335.png (326x326, 260K)

I think OpenSUSE is more your taste

>>>>Stability.
In gentoo you can check better if the last update will not kill you. The most bleeding edge you can get without shooting yourself in the feet

Is that what compiling and installing an update looks? Isn't that on tty?
I'm gonna install gentoo I'm an arch user used it since 3 months ago now I want to use gentoo

Why's that? It only comes with KDE doesn't it?

Still, does it have good defaults when installing a DE? Sometimes I say fuck it and just use gnome I don't want to think to use a fucking graphical environment, still I will read what flags to use and shit, but I don't like setting up retarded shit on vim/cli if is not faster

yep

I'm not the debian guy I'm on arch (which is like debian with a bleeding edge repository anyways). All of that is just output yes? Maybe is a retarded question but I just need to confirm before proceeding on reading the gentoo wiki and install it. I want to move to arch because supposedly it's easier to be bleeding edge without breaking the system. Whereas in arch you are kinda scared to do pacman -Syu if you had it without updating for some time

from arch***

it has become bloated over many years of updates and if I was to screw something up reinstalling everything would be a pain in the ass.

yes but since you're coming from arch you better learn how to use and manage use flags. only set mandatory flags in make.conf while you set others in the package.use directory. if you set everything in make.conf you will have tons of problems later on. I had to learn that the hard way

I can't code.

I don't and posting on Jow Forums doesn't require any tinkering.

Why would it take you two hours to upgrade your OS? Also what browser are you using?