Is there any way to put digital files onto a tape, or at least record my screen onto one?

Is there any way to put digital files onto a tape, or at least record my screen onto one?

Attached: 300px-VHS-Video-Tape-Top-Flat.jpg (299x184, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU
amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Plug-Cable/dp/B0007V6JCK
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When you say files, do you mean copying a digital video over to VHS? Or actually storing digital data on a VHS?

The former isn't hard, just get a Raspberry Pi and a VCR. Play the video on the RPi, have the VCR record it.
It is possible to store raw digital data on a VHS but you really don't want to. A $15 64 Gig flash drive would beat it in every respect.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU
Get the Danmere Backer

>what is a commodore datasette
hi new summer fren

>2 hours to transfer 1 Gigabyte
Amazing

>RPi
This desu. Only modern computer with built in analog video out. Just need a $5 cable and you can record straight to VCR.

Uh... Tape backup has been a thing for decades. You can probably find a decent tape backup device in your area for cheap if you're in the states as there's tons of websites where decommissioned government hardware is sold or auctioned off, the catch is that the devices are usually pretty big, though the tape cartridges are usually pretty cheap, allowing for several terabytes of data for next to nothing.

I just meant video. Ill check out that RPi think

Does this thing just hook up to my PC?

> allowing for several terabytes of data for next to nothing.
if you find decomissioned drives they are usually lto4 or earlier. lto4 tapes cost more per tb than hdds

Some can, but from what I've heard, given that this is enterprise-grade hardware, the driver situation is far better on Linux (and OS X IIRC) than on Windows.

Just grab the cheapest Pi off of eBay, and then this cable:
amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Plug-Cable/dp/B0007V6JCK

The reviews say to swap the red and yellow when plugging into the VCR.
Shouldn't end up costing you more than $25 for the Pi and cable.

So is it like PC output -> RPi usb -> VCR input

No. You play the files on the Pi, and hook up its video output to the VCR.

No, the RPi is just a tiny computer with an analog video output.

Here's how to do it:
>Connect the RPi to the VCR, VCR to the TV.
>Use a flash drive to transfer the movie file onto the RPi
>Press record on the VCR, and then start playing the video off the RPi.

Video games came on cassette tape at one point so yes

Jow Forums actually made a program for that, Schillsaver. Look it up. Also works with YouTube etc.

look up "Kansas city standard"

It has been done, but it’s shit. Requires a ton of redundancy especially with consumer media, and by the time capacity improved, every other medium left it in the dust.

Probably - isn't that how they did the prototypes of CD redbook audio data (and hence the reason behind the odd choice of 44100Hz sample rate)?

Attached: 1533566276560.jpg (758x428, 126K)

Do you understand how little data a VHS tape can hold? An SD card has a lot more capacity, a cheaper price and is completely compatible with every computer out there.

yes.

/thread