Multi-panel file managers

Hey Jow Forums, which multi-panel file manager do you consider to be the best today?

Do you use these to organize your large amounts of data, or maybe something else?

Attached: GNOME Commander-Fusion.png (1280x720, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Total Commander.

Double Commander. No contest.

Attached: double-commander-screenshot-01.png (911x666, 25K)

*No contest on Linux
On Windows it's almost as good as . They are close enough that I no longer bother to install TC.

I seriously couldn't live like this. I guess my file names are just longer than anyone elses but can't STAND even when that one file name in the folder has to be unhidden by dragging a fucking column slider or whatever.

I just use clover and jump back and forth between tabs.

I only use multiple browsing with Beyond Compare when syncing shit.

Alright, I know I just typed that fucking post but in the mood to actually try one again since I'm on the subject. Along with OP I want some recommendations?. WinNC vs Totalcommander? vs Multi commander vs AB commander vs xplorer2?

Attached: angry stallman.jpg (155x157, 9K)

>I guess my file names are just longer than anyone else
Horizontal split.

I hear that but still unacceptable to me I suppose because then I'd be bitching and complaining about how much scrolling I need to do (I have some pretty full folders).

I am still going to test these applications though and give it a shot. Might try Xplorer2 first.

Midnight Commander

Attached: midnight-commander-colors.png (930x573, 36K)

It's pretty usable, IMO. DoubleCmd has it.

>I guess my file names are just longer than anyone elses
I'm pretty sure some of these file managers allow you to split the panels horizontally, so you can easily display the whole filename and every other detail using the whole width of your screen. Not sure which ones do this though.

What are the must-have features for you?

I tried Double Commander a long time ago, but it was unusable for verifying more than a dozen file checksums at once (the way it displayed the results was useless, no scrolling in the list and such), so I ditched it for lacking that feature. Could be improved by now.

I'm testing WinNC right now OP. What you want to know about it? while I have it open and shit.

linux: midnight commander
windos: total commander

fast search/grep
folder shortcuts
“open with” shortcuts
acceptable editor
hex viewer/editor

>"especially developed for Windows 10"
>trialware
I would never use it personally, but you can tell us what you like about it. Might have some good features to look for in other proper ones.

Well am using the pro version at the moment. In the two minutes I've used it I just like clover better. I have no use for such a clogged screen. I just browse and double click files really. I don't zip/unzip with this or console or anything.

I will try the search later on and see how accurate it is. I'll try Synchronize also later. See how well it compares to Beyond Compare but I doubt it will do better. Virtual Folder thing has gotten my curiosity also.

Attached: dd.png (1920x1080, 241K)

There's nothing anywhere on the internet that explains why a file manager would have multiple panels. What is the appeal? Why two panels? Why not 5 panels? Why don't these strange programs ever support an optional single-panel mode?

There is a 4 panel one called quad explorer.

Q-dir. My bad.

opus
bunch of nogs

floppy disc era. it was convenient

*nix = mc
windoze = qdir (far is gud, but not mc...)

This.

You don't use these for drag-and-dropping stuff. (You can nowadays, of course.) You have two directories open in two panels and perform file operations between them mainly by using function keys (F5 to copy, F6 to move, F8 to delete etc.) It's an efficient and comfortable way of managing lots of files.

Double Commander is shit compared to Total Commander.

Windows: Total Commander and Far Manager.
Linux: midnight commander

Double Commander, Gnome Commander or whatever are just toys - ugly and useless.

Total Commander on Windows.
Midnight Commander if I need to move some files as root, since using dolphin as root became a pain.
Also Midnight Commander when managing files over ssh.

I use Double Commander myself.
On Windows there's also Multi Commander which is not bad.

Nemo. No contest.

Attached: CopyQ.nS2323.png (841x511, 154K)

>ugly and useless
Ok. Apart from looks, what are they lacking in your opinion?

Attached: Double Commander GTK2.png (800x575, 73K)

>No contest
>Double Commander

Have you even TRIED an actual power tool like Far Manager? On an actual operating system, like Windows

I'm not talking about occasionally firing it up and pressing F5 to copy a file from one panel to the other, I'm talking about living in it and using the shit out of its myriad features, slinging and slicing and dicing files like no tomorrow; running command line programs and seeing the output right there; being one with the console and one with the OS.

Of course you don't know what I'm talking about.

>Have you even TRIED an actual power tool like Far Manager? On an actual operating system, like Windows
mcmasterrace reporting in.

I actually chuckled. This will be copypasta.

>On an actual operating system, like Windows
all opinions regarding software instantly discarded

>being one with the console

autism

Attached: 1360309002848.jpg (400x320, 110K)

How do you quickly copy files without having two panels?
All that ctrl+v shit or drag-dropping is lame, especially if you need to do it multiple times.

like the terminal, but can't get my mind to like those file managers for basic browsing. maybe since my files are a mess and not really uniform.
still do relegate some functions to the command line, like renaming or archiving an entire directory of folders with some scripts.

>Far Manager

tab completion? asking for a friend

Attached: 1531230403675.jpg (960x824, 74K)

>tab completion?

Autocomplete. DESU it's actually too eager and kind of gets in your way.

>not using vifm

Terminal.

Krusader is pretty comfy

Attached: Krusader-2.6_main_window.png (1318x1022, 263K)

Sunrise Commander for Emacs

If you must at least fucking use a decent fm like dolphin.
Or better yet pcmanfm with f3.
Or even better just fucking use mc

btw, old Norton's commander user here - TC is a shit ripoff that even with all the fucking boltons is still a manky expensive (for what it is) piece of shit.

nexus file on windows is pretty nice

Attached: nexusfile01[1].jpg (538x420, 71K)

filezilla

What are these even good for?

File managers? I heard they are good for chopping wood, not sure tho

looks like shit desu

Quad-Directory-Explorer
softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir