Why is micron the only company selling a 2TB SSD for under $300?

why is micron the only company selling a 2TB SSD for under $300?

Attached: 81KhmYP6zPL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1000, 141K)

Because endurance/capacity and warranty is a balance which micron threads thinly if you were to fill the entire 2tb and hit it with iops and overwrite commands

– Sequential 128KB READ: Up to 530 MB/s
– Sequential 128KB WRITE: Up to 500 MB/s
– Random 4KB READ: Up to 55,000 IOPS
– Random 4KB WRITE: Up to 83,000 IOPS

>55k IOPS
There you have it.

For reference good SATA SSDs have 80-95k.

Speaking of Crucial (Micron's brand name for consumer products). Have you tried their online chat customer support? Holy fuck that shit is nice with instant queues and really helpful people

Not to sound like a fanboy, but because of my positive experiences with their chat (asking a question about some technology and another time when i needed help with something technical (which they helped me solve )), I will always buy Crucial. I have their SSD and DDR4 ram

Micron, if you are reading this; You're a great company

I don't care about blazing speeds, any run of the mill SSD will be faster than a traditional HDD.

I want 8TB SSDs with comparable pricing to HDDs.

Then its good for you, but that is the reason why it is so cheap.

This is probably because it uses a cheap controller with a really small amount of cache in comparison to other 2TB SSDs.

Can I buy SSDs without cache? I never used cache in my life and I don't think I'll need it.

Without cache(SLC or DRAM cache) TLC SSDs would work at 50MB/s, so no.

But i never use cache. Why should i buy something i don't need? I don't even buy cache when i buy a processor. I never paid for cache in my entire life. This is retarded as fuck

Only phones directly control their flash memory like that.

Does your SSD perform better than 50 MB/s? Yes? Then you use cache. The SSD uses it behind the scenes. This is not something you choose to use or have some special software for.

You don't but your SSD does, its the buffer zone between your NAND (Where you store your shit) and the SSD controller(The chip in your SSD that handles the data) so its send fast to the rest of your PC.

TLC NAND is slow, without cache its way worse than a HDD.

it's currently $250 at rakuten with a coupon

bought one to replace my game drive; no fucks given if data is lost

Example, UV400 the shittiest SSD in the market only has a 256MB SLC cache for all models.
Look at what happens to the speeds after such cache is full and cant keep up.

Attached: Kingston-SSDNow-UV400-480GB-HDTune.png (630x550, 29K)

Meanwhile a proper HDD, with DRAM cache.
Notice the difference?

Attached: samsung%20ssd%20850%20evo%20rapid%20hd%20tune%20benchmark%20read.png (500x439, 85K)

What's the difference? Ain't SSD and HDD completely different type of storage?

Those 2 are SSDs, but in the shitty one(Kingston UV400) lacks proper cache so speeds drop to 60MB/s once the cache is full, after it is full you can see the real speeds of the NAND which are 40-60MB/s.
Meanwhile the 850 EVO works at full speed all the time.

Yes HDDs and SSDs are differet.

but you said hdd. What the fuck?

Sorry, fucked it up in the second one.
Meant to say SSD in the 850 evo post.

fuck you. now my dad has to send that hdd back he just ordered.

>Jow Forums is my tech support
no, fuck you.