Write open source software

>write open source software
>nobody uses it

Attached: 1529618596595.jpg (452x363, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Daem0n-th/Imager
github.com/Daem0n-th/video-er
runtimeterror.com/abitopen.txt
github.com/kibook/s1kd-tools
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>doesn't post a link to said software

it's almost as if people don't actually care if it's open source or not

Right, you probably should inform people your software exists and is awesome.

>write useless doftware
>nobody uses it
Geez, I wonder why

Attached: 1521891454819.jpg (750x897, 93K)

>doftware

Attached: Spurdo.png (528x404, 13K)

Just wait. It doesn't matter how shitty, at some point a handful of people will stumble upon your project and use it. Probably not many, but at least some will use it.

Surely you use it, right?

It's okay OP.
Took me a while to become a super billionaire with my superior coding skills.
Everything started looking good when I started coding proprietary software.
Before I knew it, I was swimming in money.

Why would you write software that not even you use?

>make a mod of a mod for table top simulator
>8 downloads
feels good man

>publish programs
>months later
>two users
>realize it's just my desktop and laptop

Attached: 1514414955410.png (882x758, 33K)

hi byuu

Sorry bro I can't program. What do you mean by nobody uses "it?"

it's almost as if people are idiots and don't respond to anything besides propaganda and viral marketing

>write shitty plugin
>thousands of people use it

Attached: .jpg (417x375, 17K)

>blaming the license and not your software

>npm module for API goes private requiring paid API key
>Maintainer said he won't maintain it anymore but will transfer ownership to someone who will
>I reply and said at first not interested, hoping someone else will who is smarter
>Week goes by and no one fixes it for API key support, nor asks for ownership
>I end up adding API key support and adding in features from previous pull requests, AND other missing features from API adding new additional parameters
>Ask him for ownership, he refuses
>Submit a pull request for all fixes, don't give myself any credit, keep package.json and readme as it was besides version number change.
>He refuses to accept/merge pull request
>Project goes free again (API key still required but has a free version, previously paid version was only $1 per month anyway, just to prevent people from abusing it) and he still refuses to hand over ownership or merge my pull request
>Now the module is officially dead as a new module came out with support for API key, making it the module of choice for nodejs for this API service
>I refuse to rewrite my project with that module so I have to manually install/update this module on any machine that uses my project because npm install grabs outdated module from package.json
>Updated module is on my GitHub and pull request is on main modules GitHub page, people thanked me for fix but stated they are using the other module now because it's unmaintained
>I wasted all that time fixing it, adding new features, all for the project to go dead. He still refuses to give ownership

Why do people do this? It's open source, he refuses to maintain it, offered ownership but now won't hand over ownership, and his main reasoning for refusing to maintain it because of it turning into a paid service, is no longer the case, yet he still won't change his mind on maintaining / handing over ownership / accepting pull requests.

It makes me [autistic screeching] reeeee

Attached: You-weebs-can-try.jpg (636x756, 51K)

Not true.

Post your software.

>make really long post
>no one reads it

Plugin for what? How'd you advertise it?

Should've forked it the first time he frefused.

npm is just shit, that isn't representative of the larger community

>How'd you advertise it?
Put it in the list of plugins.

What list?

The list of plugins for the program. user pls

browser plugins?

:(
It is forked, it's on my page, I stated that, but no one will use it because they want to use npm, not manually clone a forked version of the module.
>npm is just shit, that isn't representative of the larger community
?? I wasn't complaining about the community, I was complaining about my specific scenario, having my time wasted etc

Not true. Even some shitty scripts of mine got cloned a couple of times and/or got a few stars.

I read it. Don't be an ADD brainlet, user. I know you can read it if you try. It's not that long.

Post link faggot

>Write open-source software
>People use it
>Even a known commercial user
Feels good.

Attached: 1389022013617.jpg (362x276, 15K)

Um you could start by posting it here you know

Maybe if you weren't such a fuCKSHITLORD cis white MALE and promoted diversity and inclusivity in your little fuck project by having a CoC, maybe your fuck project might have some users. But you're another fuck white male shitlord so fuck you

Attached: 1C52E36C-737D-4C27-9F6A-7838CBAE2788.jpg (755x487, 157K)

How else are they supposed to find your shit in the sea of other shit? Telepathy?

>Post link faggot
What is a "link faggot"?
Did you mean to write, by any chance, "Post the link, faggot."?

>write open source project
>don't finish it

itkf

everything went better than expected

Do you spread the word on it? How the fuck are people supposed to know about it?

Attached: 1533458415548.jpg (400x532, 87K)

>everybody expects only you to fix and improve the software

Where are all the autistic programmers? I dream of a world where you can come up with an original software idea and shoddily write it and put it up on github and then the most autistic savant programmers all swarm it and painstakingly optimize your code all the while criticizing you for doing in 100 lines what they can do in 40. I see these people on programming irc channels and forums, they've schooled me on more than one occasion, I see this sort of thing as being a sport for them.

>Where are all the autistic programmers?
Creating their own unfinished foss and waiting for others to fix and finish it

>finish the readme for the complete program anyway

Imo the real good and experienced ones are all busy doing important work (tor, OS work, crypto, FOSS etc).
I think the problem is that we essentially stopped education people to become autistic programmers.
I mean college is such a joke on a grand scale, sure there are some good ones, but i would argue that you can pass an average college and not be a good programmer afterall.
Hell i've met college grads who couldn't do the most basic shit or even use a command line.
Basically we introduce people to this CS environment where they expect that everything is already neatly packaged in a module somewhere ready for use, nobody wants to mess with improving existing code anymore. I mean look at it, people grow up having this mindset that the tools are there and they can just spin up their hipster electron app and "change the world", while in reality almost everything is shit broken, but those people are unable or unwilling to dig into their toolchains to fix them in order to make better dev environments.
We are breeding a generation of programmers who are inevitably gonna produce shitty insecure code because they import shit left and right without giving it a second look and are unable to think for themselfs.

>is-odd nmp package
>over million users
>it's just mod 2 with type checking
You can do it pal

kek, this reminds me of my youtube video views

Attached: peek.jpg (762x717, 84K)

If it's very niche, that's to be expected. I have an open source project now and the main subject had 0 mention on Jow Forums until my own posts (searched via the archives), so it feels kind of awkward posting about it.

I use Free Open Source software elusively, i dont even have windows on my PC, it was one of the first things i did when i got it, i totally wiped the drive with sgdisk and made a new partition table and partitions and installed gnu/Linux,

wow. you must be a real hardcore hacker.

Can you not upload it as module2 or something?

It's been 11 hours OP. Couldn't have mustered enough effort to post a link in almost half a day? Surely this couldn't be just a shitpost.

thats because nobody knows it exists. If you want people to use your software post it on reddit and pay some indians on fiver to upvote you. Thats what everyone else does

>write closed source licensed software
>virtually everyone rips it

Attached: homura_solution.jpg (500x529, 60K)

meant for

>53 posts
>0 links
This thread is pretty disappointing.

grammar nazis still exist

Attached: 1506760331072.jpg (835x773, 246K)

Jow Forums is a tech larping board user

>write package as a joke
>millions of people use it

huh?

Attached: Capture.png (1189x758, 71K)

I don't think you fully understand how npm works.

>write basic photo filter editor
>ugly UI but it works
>project gets some attention
>suddenly no one contributes anymore
>new paid iOS app does exactly the same thing
My fucken face when they basically copy pasted my original code and added a normie-friendly UI on top of it.

Attached: 1529745072568.jpg (736x688, 134K)

at least it's out there?

write better software

>keep it a secret
>nobody uses it

Attached: smug_esqueleto.png (1366x768, 1.26M)

>your program monitors the users and calls home
No wonder why people don't use your botnet faggot!

Some advice and guidance is appreciated
github.com/Daem0n-th/Imager
github.com/Daem0n-th/video-er
Also I know it has no practical use case.

You say that your code is shit and you bitch about the new kids who import other shitty code instead of writing their own shit code to improve yours. Did I get this right?

I believe that the is-odd package was written by an uber autist who starts fizzbuzz threads all day only to show off his obscure solutions to the problem who however never has written/designed software other than apps and scripts.

>FOSS
>your using it right now.

Not true

Someone cloned my shitty VB .NET (visual basic with the .NET libraries) riddled with
- stack overflows (because who loops when you got recursion?)
- public global variables
- +200 lines per function
- literal Jow Forums Easter egg

I wrote it before actually learning how to program, that's why I keep it archived on my git with plenty of warnings as a baseline

I have since rewritten most of the programs in C correctly (without the cringy Easter eggs)

Attached: 1533149347597-g.jpg (640x482, 49K)

>Hack out shitty software because Furryfox killed off old extensions
>Webextension dev tooling is a cesspit
>Nobody's going to use it anyway, I just need to replace my obscure extension quick because its dev went quiet and it got disabled
>3000 users start using my shitty software
>Feature requests start coming in
>Bugs, bugs everywhere

Fuck.

Attached: Firefox_Nightly_Logo,_2017.png (2001x2065, 417K)

>writes cool software to manage shit you're reading/watching/playing directly from the terminal
>too sperg to share it

Attached: 1515771046036.jpg (700x700, 102K)

Did you add a code of conduct? They're all the rage these days!

>originally write open source software
>realize that that won't pay the bills
>charge for it
Eat shit freetards!

>try to write software
>realize I'm too much of a brainlet to put together anything nontrivial enough to be at all useful

Attached: i'm sorry that i'm so useless.gif (500x245, 1011K)

Yeah I could but like I said, people already moved on, so it's not worth it anymore. I just was contributing my complaint since that's the thread theme. It's not really a big deal, if it was I'd upload it to npm myself as module-2 or something like you said.

SHUT IT DOWN

I'm sure the pajeets in the office don't even qualify as a brainlet. They can't even poo in the loo right.

Could have had a license that doesn't allow that to happen.

sounds interesting

>acquire dedicated users
>stop using your software due to superior alternatives appearing
>still support it out of pride
I swear I'll stop working on new features and put it strictly into maintenance mode after the next major release.

Whether it's in art, blogging or software development, the world can be divided into professionals and divas. Try to spot the divas early.

now this is a comfy story

What you want requires enthusiasm, and people don't get that enthusiastic over normal boring software. Make a niche video game with a high-tier waifu, an innovative (but not too innovative) programming language or a cool shader hack -- something that gets people excited -- and they'll come and polish it.

Linking to your real-name GitHub on Jow Forums.

>visual basic with the .NET libraries

>some faggot copies it, changes the name and sells it as his own
>makes bank
FUCK opensores never doing it fucking again

Attached: 1508297107473.png (638x476, 483K)

After a dozen open source projects that got some traction, I think twice about open sourcing anything, because I don't want to spend time fixing bugs that don't affect me or explaining why some feature request is not the best idea. I think this guy is on to something: runtimeterror.com/abitopen.txt

You’re not planning it out then

People that care about a program being open source over its quality are the same sort of people who got Black Panther to be such a high rating/grossing movie for employing black people.

Its fine to lean towards open source as a feature, but holy tits use whats best.

Open source doesn’t mean people can steal your IP

someone might have learnt something from your code user, don't be so pessimistic

Yeah good luck taking down a website hosted from a shitbox in Ukraine

already exists.

>write free open source tools for documentation
>keep getting stuck writing a tutorial for it
pic related.
github.com/kibook/s1kd-tools

Attached: ironing.jpg (752x1097, 218K)

this is a virus do NOT click the link

Attached: 0b4.jpg (453x576, 35K)

How do you guys do telemetry/metrics?
I have mine try to ping a server once a month to gauge "active" users.

I don't put botnet in my code.

What do you use then?

My own testing since nobody actually uses anything I write.