Mechanical Keyboard Thread - /mkg/ - Thread for Keyboards and Keyboard Accessories

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

P.T.

Attached: expanded board.jpg (2100x1400, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B071VBVYPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=yd4T78x6Zhc
youtube.com/watch?v=dHhr30207JY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do G20 caps compare to XDA or DSA

Attached: EgPUkkX.jpg (4032x3024, 515K)

I’m going to be grabbing a mechanical keyboard, but have never owned one before, and research can only bring you so far. So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

1. Budget: $100-200
2. Location: USA
3. Switches: I was thinking about getting either Cherry Browns or Gateron Browns
4. Layout: ANSI
5. Form Factor: 100%
6. Backlight: Don't really care one way or another, but if it is backlit, it needs to be dimmable.
7. Previous keyboard: Shitty Onn keyboard

I've been looking at the The Glorious GMMK (pictured), because I like the ability to swap switches, but is it really worth it, or is it just a gimmick? Thanks for any help.

Attached: Glorious Gaming Keyboard.jpg (1440x810, 397K)

Why are Cooler Master keyboards so fucking based?

cringe

In case anyone cares, novelkeys is selling old kailh box switches with the fat stems at a discount.

>having TTEsports Keyboard
>it's nothing special
>spacebar just died on me
>have old Filco that the board died on from years ago
>never got around to fixing it
>hot swap the LED and switch over
>works like a charm
Really glad I kept that thing, having a whole board of switches ready to replace is nice.

Attached: Keyboard & Draw.jpg (1920x1280, 1.48M)

what numpad is that

amazon.com/gp/product/B071VBVYPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached: 1526056166965.png (1190x968, 807K)

What do guns have to do with keyboards?
Small penis OP?

best keyboard is 20$ and 10$ shipped from china its 30ms faster than 99% of keyboards and im not going to tell you what it is

>30ms faster
who cares

does this count?

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-07-28 at 17.58.22 (1).jpg (1600x1066, 153K)

why are you focused so hard on penises user?

>focused hard
Your Freudian slip is showing, user

Attached: 1533054250922.jpg (500x356, 35K)

because

because unlike other gaming brands, coolermaster listen to all parts of the consumer base and try to cater to them, unlike the others that basically only care about the segment whose priorities begin and end with rgb

Since you've never used a mech before, swapping switches is a great way to really, properly try out typing on different types for relatively cheap: a set of switches usually costs around $20-30, compared to a full keyboard which is going to be at least twice that, probably three or four times. The reason this is important is because switch testers can only approximate what typing will be like, you really need the real deal to properly judge things. Technically it's possible to do on almost any keyboard, but desoldering and desoldering all the switches takes 2-3 hours at least if you're experienced, can take up a whole day if you're not, and I don't know for sure but I doubt all this repeated heating does any good for the PCB.

So if you're interested in mechanical keyboards and can see yourself trying to find the perfect switch, and buying samples to that end, then it's most definitely worth it. If you don't plan on buying switches because you don't care enough, then obviously it's a useless gimmick.

based filco poster

Male faggots, more like.

Why aren't you building your mechanical keyboard from scratch?

youtube.com/watch?v=yd4T78x6Zhc

Attached: linus.jpg (842x575, 41K)

because i don't have a need to when prebuilt keyboards fulfill my needs just fine and are cheap enough

plus no-one makes skcc switch compatible pcbs and plates and there aren't even options for it on tools like swillkb, so leaving my pingmaster as is is a better option

Cool vz. 61 user.

what is the cheapest keyboard with gaterons i can get which doesn't look absolutely retarded

don't know what user is talking about but 30ms is very noticeable

Attached: IMG_20180805_205850.jpg (4608x3456, 2.63M)

>gets cherry mx browns
>then gets springs to "customise the feel"
Fucking kek

tada68 with hotswappable pcb when

Hey burt good to see ya

Anyone have experience with SteelSeries keyboards? They have a TKL I wouldn't mind getting.

Haven't used a mech kb since the 286 days, only soft touch... Don't really type much so probably wouldn't mind the transition.

Backlit keys and compact overall are important. I've noticed the very compact ones here but don't think that'd flow well with using design software that have lots of shortcuts, no?

Attached: 183698-steelseries-apex-m750tkl-1.png (1080x1080, 910K)

The cooler master CK550

Holy shit, why didn't you guys tell me how great cherry profile caps are compared to oem? These caps are amazing on my box Navys

I like the fact the caps aren't shine through, it gives the backlight a more interesting look when it's only visible around the outside.

Never tried steelseries boards. I can't recommend anything without knowing the switches.

Why do you think of dicks when you see a gun?

I just got the qisan magicforce 68 and threw some $25 pbt keycaps and o-rings on it. Outemu browns.

I LOVE THIS THING!

shill

shill yes but they ain't payin me. Im just a VERY happy customer.

ironic shilling is still shilling shill

Attached: IMG_20180807_125915.jpg (3456x4608, 2.52M)

Box switches are wonderful

Attached: IMG_20180807_125925.jpg (3456x4608, 2.31M)

box switches are a meme

Outemo brown switches are currently #1 on the tier list, followed by cherry mx blues, and then gateron reds.

go away shill

Attached: Stop.png (616x538, 750K)

>massdrop delayed from late July to late August
>Ordered in March
So this ... Is the power...

Should have bought the magicforce 68 with amazon prime shipping. I know I did.

I'm using a lindontech with Outemu browns as well. They're better than cherry but worse than gateron, kind of scratchy.

By no means a bad switch, though.

you're new in here, aren't you?

sõyboard

Im not new here, and I'm wondering the same thing.

OP clearly has a tiny peen.

Should've bought an F77 instead, they're already almost ready and might perhaps even start shipping by next year! Lmao loser

What keyboard is that on top?

I just want it now

Attached: Screenshot_20180807_132307.jpg (1080x813, 153K)

You're going to get laid with those keycaps!!!

>i just want it now

Imagine being this childish

I only want it now because
>I paid for it almost 6 months ago
>I want something new without paying more money
>Gib toy

top picture is like the fucking shit we used back in the 90`s , bottom picture is for autistic faggots

is there anything similar to a space cadet that i might actually be able to afford at some point im my life?

Attached: 1200px-Space-cadet.jpg (1200x464, 135K)

My girlfriend uses a keyboard similar to bottom image(except no cringe escape key)

Shes a cheerleader so I figured I'd get her keycaps to match her uniform, idk.

godspeed lagsperg

There were a couple for $1500 apiece just a couple months ago. Also, from a hardware standpoint they're not any different from similar era honeywells you can get for less than a couple hundred dollars pretty regularly. Hell, I got a nice Cortron for $30 shipped just a couple months ago.

Just be glad it's only been delayed once.

Yes you are. Burt's gun pics have been around for years now.

But I have.

Attached: IMG_20180704_174336.jpg (3026x1656, 1.19M)

This looks very bland and uninspired. Don't know what you see in those, it looks almost like some stock set of grey keycaps.

Hyper 7 or whatever it's called

To the user that converted their keyboard to USB c, please don't forget to post pictures.

Nah

Attached: AI7B3759_copy_20180222135325.jpg (1081x328, 28K)

/mkg/! What's the lowest profile switch available? I'm trying to find 1mm or less. Most scissor switch keyboards are advertised as having 2.5mm travel. Are chiclet ones shorter?

Scissors are basically the shortest. Get yourself a macbook.

Out of "proper" mechanicals, the only real choice is kailh choc.

Agreed, these looks like typical hipster keycaps.

Did you save a thumbnail then try to upscale it to avoid embarrassment?

>1mm or less
so you hate typing?

No I just saved the picture from massdrop

So before worrying about keycaps, focus on learning how to computer right.

Being able to download an image in its original resolution is super simple stuff...

summer

Just use a touch screen.

Any sub-$100 keyboards that aren't blue switches anyone can recommend? Coworker gave me a $100 amazon card for cleaning up his shit work and I wanna pick up a new keyboard with it.

p.s. just posting this mommy for replies :^)

Attached: m-mommy.jpg (640x640, 46K)

qisan magicforce 68 with outemu browns

Get some pbt key caps and o-rings and watch this baby purrrrrr

I dont know what any of those things mean my man, care to post a link?

Anything Leopold clears or browns

He literally said the model and switches, what more could you want?

If that image is to be believed and OP is the only male, then what gender is everyone else in /mkg/?
>inb4 knee socks

no you lazy sack of shit, you could punch it into google and the first link is for the amazon listing.

kys

you know what? Now I don't even want you to own the same keyboard as me.

go find something else.

tada68

I prefer low noise. I would get a keyboard with the butterfly mechanism if they were available.
Is there one where you can rest your hands over it?

So, I have this cheap ass mech kb because I'm a poorfag, and while playing osu using "," and "." (essentially for tapping, sometimes I get too excited and tap too rough), the comma key stopped working. That is, it still works 1% of the time (after pressing it a few times it eventually register the key press, once, on a text editor). The key sounds normal and doesn't look like it's broken. Is it broken? What can I do?

Nice scorpion.

Is that dactyl? How tricky is it to print?
Is there version with F-keys?

Attached: keyboards.jpg (1000x667, 297K)

most oldfags left because especially once you've pretty much found your endgame it's pointless to obsess about keyboards and give purchase advice to ungrateful newfags
but googling the different profiles you should be able to find a consensus that cherry profile is better, except the spacebar is dumb on most keycap sets, and flipping the spacebar is dumb too, a flat profile spacebar works well imo

Just replace the switch

Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=dHhr30207JY

i wish i knew the font on these

Attached: -16678056163550566.jpg (960x960, 389K)

>font
Do you not touch type user? Get blank caps

From the thumbnail I'm guessing it's a kinesis advantage. Not bizzare at all, see for example

clicked thread for quiet klobb

anyway

looking for a pretty basic looking keyboard, kind of like the look of the IBM model M but concerned about the clacking becoming grating after a while so would prefer something quieter. any interesting retro-style options out there? looked at unicomps but the numlock/capslock/etc light bar was super ugly. color preference would be gray -> black -> beige -> white

>Budget: Doesn't really matter, depends what's available
>Location: Burgerstan
>Preferred switch type: Tactile, quiet
>ANSI layout
>100% form factor - size doesn't matter but I would like to have all the keys available
>backlight really doesn't matter
>Currently own a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate that I picked up for like $4 at a thrift store. Don't like the GAYMUR aesthetic though the keys feel okay. Not great but just okay.

A dactyl-manuform, yes. I didn't print it myself so I can't really say how tricky of a print it is. You can change the number of rows and columns to suit your needs.

Attached: 6x6 manuform.jpg (3802x2534, 790K)

look at the realforce keyboards

Switches are knockoff reds (Kailh makes them).
If you like light linears then they're fine for you, but know this: for some reason that keyboard is ridiculously loud. It's twice as loud as my Race 3 with Cherry reds, I'd say.

But hey, Steelseries makes good shit, it's a trustworthy brand if you don't mind the gaymer aesthetic.

Thoughts on the GSkill KM780R?

I need a new keyboard with 5 macro buttons. I don't want to go Razer because my current razer got a stuffed key after 18 months, the pastebin in this thread says to avoid Corsair and /mkg/ put me off the G910 because of the romer g switches (which i can't test myself from my location).

The KM780 looks very extreme gamur but seems to have most bases covered.

Attached: 71ijDhinrzL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x900, 169K)

Unicomp Classic 104 it looks like. Basically a modern Model M that has a superkey and draws less than 300 mA.

We can't give opinions without knowing the switches

This is mechanical keyboard general, after all.