Do you need to have MS or PhD to contribute to industry?

While browsing wiki on software history I noticed that most inventors/pioneers had either MS or PhD in their respected degrees. Does this still apply in modern times?

Attached: dennisritchie.jpg (503x662, 201K)

If you want to make similar contributions I'd say that an MS wouldn't hurt and PhD is research so the point is to contribute to the field

It depends on what you mean by contribute, OP. If you mean "make a shitload of money with your own successful company", then no, dropping out of a prestigious university after building a network seems to be your best bet there.

You also need to remember that up until the 70s and 80s, computing was largely an academic endeavour and the computing community by large was mostly research based. This shifted during the late 80s and early 90s when personal computers and the mass adoption of the Internet moved computers from being something researchers used to a business device.

Today, it's more mixed. The major emerging field today seems to be AI, which is still heavily research based, but will be adopted more and more by the industry, shifting pioneers from being academics to working at companies such as Tesla.

Jim Keller has no MS or PhD and he destroyed jews. Nor does John Carmack, he made godlike game engines with full optimization and invented new techniques for GPUs. And many other guys in the industry.

Not having PhD is just an excuse for losers. You can contribute as long as you concentrate on a subject, work dedicatedly. Also academy nowadays is just full of le machine learning and big data meme. You will just get bored and release shitty papers like "how i run reinforcement algorithms on many samples today xD".

Just focus on your fav subject, you don't need to be certified researcher to do it.

Carmack is legit God tier, so much that he has been awarded a honorary PhD despite not even completing an undergraduate degree.

This.

this.

CS academia is full of buzzwords nowadays. Just be productive, and focus on your work. The rest will follow.

back in the day people went to college because they wanted to research and create something great.
Now college is just glorified high school, you are expected to go and pick up a degree.

steve jobs dropped out of college and invented computers

>Jim Keller has no MS or PhD and he destroyed jews
jews aren't technology

I got a bachelor degree, then started with a master, then dropped out to start my own business.

I can do whatever I want.

No.

Attached: is-integer.png (1269x1029, 83K)

Can someone explain why big data and machine learning are memes in general?
I mean, some papers I've read are indeed memes, full of oversimplified assumptions that lead to impractical results. But why do the fields in general get so much shit?

>1 dependencies

Webmonkeying is not cs

Attached: 1533665425852.png (1326x560, 49K)

>contribute to industry
>industry

Considering the state of CS research and education, I don't see it as an insult.

Not really required, it just happens that these people got them
>intel 8086 version 9000
>shitty gaymes
They alright, but they're not really inventors or pioneers.

>t. butthurt student

Most of the time you pursue a higher education so you can have some opportunities that weren't present before.

ex: get a job in some big name company, get funding for whatever research you wanted, etc.
the degree itself doesn't imply you will contribute or not to the industry, it just means you may be allowed certain things you weren't before because no one will let some undergrad guy touch a super computer do solve some complex math problem even if the guy could actually do some amazing contributions to the world.

>have over 20 certs in varying high-level fields
>nobody cares because you don't have a $200,000 piece of paper

Agreed, and this highlights the real reason to go to college: it's not so much about learning, whether people want to admit it or not, the ultimate goal is getting a degree. Having an advanced degree like a MSc or a PhD, in particular, will open doors that would be closed otherwise.
That doesn't mean you can't be successful and influential without one, but it does mean that you will have to undertake a different path.

Mhh
Well most had Mathematics or Physics degree.

Computer science has low barrier in Math/Physics, a lot Electronic Enginers,Mathematics,Physics or Chemistry contribute to industry.

Usually people change to CS for money or research.

You need strong math background, mostly CS research use BS math level, but average PhD CS math education is very low.

If you learn math you could self taught almost any CS field.

today's contribution of PhDs is very insignificant compared to 30 years ago. Finding a significant discovery in the limited time of PhD program today is near to 0% and you will have to just do a pretty insignificant research and publish boring papers just to get the degree