I always have been a debian and debian-derived user

I always have been a debian and debian-derived user.

I've been using Linux for 17 years or so, and way back then Debian was super good because it was easy to install, easy to find answers on the internet for problems, and the package manager was pretty good, with the popular Ubuntu, it became more or less a standard. On top of that, in my college they use Debian for computer networking classes.

Recently I tried OpenSUSE in a VM to check out how are GNOME and KDE going.

This distro seems really good, the installer is quite nice, supports modern file systems, gives you options between GNOME and KDE, so far, so good.

Why is OpenSUSE not more widespread? Maybe it's because it just works and it's not controversial?

Attached: 1200px-OpenSUSE_official-logo-color.svg.png (1200x760, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comma.guide/vocative-comma/
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2018-04/msg00570.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
openqa.opensuse.org/
status.opensuse.org/
software.opensuse.org
opensuse.pkgs.org/
openbuildservice.org/
lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/
en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist
opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman
bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=font rendering
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3
download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/forkbomb:/turboAMD/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#open-source_operating_systems_without_systemd_in_the_default_installation
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports
videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html
lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1408.1/02496.html
hooktube.com/watch?v=9oonm2GCCMo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

don't forget
>snapper
>zypper
>yast

It's a bloated piece of shit. Booting takes as long as it does with Windows.

buy a SSD faggot

What is an "SSD faggot"?
comma.guide/vocative-comma/

I do have an SSD you stupid moron. Suse still takes 10x longer to boot than Arch.

Then don't reboot/shut down that often.

Its has a very professional feel, but I couldn't stand the "package templates" or whatever they call it where it reinstalles all the bloat you uninstalled everytime you update.

>way back then Debian ... was easy to install
Linus Techtips would beg to differ.
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s

> blames OS that Desktop Environment takes too long to load
senior retardo at the post!

OpenSuse always takes longer to load, doesn't matter which DE you use you fucking moron. It's because they have bloated their OS with services nobody needs.

> retard that does not know linux and how to operate it says that nude other distro takes longer to load because it uses other package manager than Arch

>stupid moron
Have you ever seen a smart moron?

he is.

>Install OpenSuse TumbleWeed
>disselect everything except for XFCE Desktop
>3GB download
okay

>disselect
*deselect

>features are bloat
Okay

fuck you faggot

>Why is OpenSUSE not more widespread?
honestly: it had something called yast which was (is?) supposed to configure your system. Being used to editing the configuration files on my own I found that it would blindly overwrite custom configurations and mess things up in bad and seemingly random ways (altering one thing in yast would overwrite a bunch of other settings). This is why I didn't like openSUSE.

It should be noted that I do not believe it was openSUSE, just SUSE at the time I tried it .. ages ago. Perhaps 10 or 15 years ago. Not sure. It's probably improved since then.

Did you mean to write "Fuck your faggot." or "Fuck you, faggot."?

I use OpenSUSE KDE. File picker thumbnails bullshit is patched out of the box. Everything just works with Zypper and YaST. It's the best distro I've ever used.

Bloat doesn't even matter on modern hardware as long as the system is relatively secure and it works. OpenSUSE fits that description.

This, along with at least 8GB RAM. Also format the SSD as XFS with all file in one partition. It's fast as fuck with shitloads of features.

top kek, just did this. Bare OpenSuse XFCE installation vs bare Antergos XFCE installation.

This is embarrasing. OP is probably an OpenSuse employee. This is worse than Windows lmfao.

Attached: kek.webm (1888x806, 2.62M)

YaST is honestly amazing and probably a thing that would make Linux desktop experience significantly better for everyone. To this day I have no idea why Ubuntu and forks don't have it. It's retarded to market your distro as user friendly yet refuse to add a tool that would significantly improve user friendliness.

open suse shills btfo

Attached: index.jpg (228x221, 13K)

Btrfs+snapper is a godsend if something goes wrong. You can get immediately back into action with it, it's fantastic. Though on Leap I just went with ext4+xfs, since it's rock solid.

Doesn't SUSE use wicked by default?

Yea. On desktops, would just be a bitch on laptops

Attached: 1dxet4.jpg (670x377, 51K)

or "fuck, you faggot" or "fuck you, faggot" or "fuck, you, faggot"

I wonder what the result would be compared to other more fully featured distros, like Ubuntu

wow, you really are stupid.

top kek .. keep throwing them ad hominems at me

...what? I just wondered how it compares to Ubuntu, how is that an ad hominem?

Sorry, didn't mean you. Accidentally quoted you.

it doesnt seem to care much about desktop optimisation, boot times are horrid
yast2 will happily write over any config files you manually edited
the way it syncs repos is strange.

Im using openpepe and the faggot dev make the device wait until wicked is ready it is fucking braindead

>OpenSuse always takes longer to load
I heard this was related to the version of the kernel it packs.

he's the shining and the light without whom i cannot see

then literally open yast and tell it to use network manager instead of wicked?

he didn't even tryed

>gives you options between GNOME and KDE,

>2 useless shit options

>so far, so good.

lol

Why do people use Debian?

Attached: 1532673497227.jpg (1080x1061, 144K)

Not everybody is a degenerate ricer like you, fag.

disable ipv6

let's blame wicked
lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2018-04/msg00570.html

There's plenty of other options too, not just GNOME and KDE. Or you could do minimal install and only choose a WM.

Would be interested to see comparisons between other distros desu

Netinstall
Aptitude
I'm a lazy shithead

Kind a strange video.
My openPEPE 42.2 boots from SSD just in 15 seconds (Windows 7 takes about the same). And 30+ seconds takes boot from HDD. If both videos taken from SSD, then you're doing wrong with Tumbleweed.

I just have one problem with tumbleweed
how do I stop it from reinstalling packages that I removed, everytime that I want to update it does this

and how do I get better font rendering?

it took 9 seconds more
and you are not using tumbleweed

>My openPEPE 42.2 boots from SSD just in 15 seconds
That's a long ass time.

Is there a specific reason you're still using 42.2?

>install tumbleweed
>networking broken
>cant even update because networking broken

In the trash it does.

Attached: 1331289772708.gif (768x432, 1.89M)

"Just works" is not enough for many people.

Attached: 1531751255377.jpg (640x789, 128K)

Which card?

I like suse. It's pretty versatile and I like all the excessive security options, makes me feel like I'm in control

Attached: signal-2018-08-05-202543.jpg (1071x1228, 101K)

My arch linux boots in ~30 seconds from SSD because it waits for internet connection and I have shitty internet.
I bet this is similar issue. Because I don't remember that my openSUSE install, which I tried a couple months ago, booted that long.
There's nothing kek about this. If I want I can increase my arch boot time over a minute.

Jesus fucking Christ, no that's not the issue. Do I really have to go back and prove it to you? If I did, you susefaggots would come up with another excuse.

That's an SSD used by homosexual person you replied to.
Being used by faggot makes the used one, by extension... A faggot.

It's called "I have no fucking idea what I'm doing. Whatsoever "

seething

it really isnt, its like 2/3x times faster at best (Archlinux that is)

It's extremely bloated full of uncessary " features"

could you elaborate on this? i had the same issue. when i update with zypper, it adds packages or installs shit like KDE games when i don't want or need them.

I could if I knew your setup. Never ever happened that it installs new games or shit like that just for update.

Forgot to mention, as in any package manager there is a difference with updating and upgrading. Upgrade can delete some packages and install new ones.
Also watch for things like metapackages.
Maybe you had entire KDE metapackage selected and you got "full upgrade". With a lot of packages you don't need

i'm on tumbleweed and do a distro upgrade once a week.

used to be on debian, and an upgrade would sometimes even release some disk space. these upgrades always take another few hundred MBs which I assume are the snapshots?

I also use Tumbleweed on two machines. Ok, so what you are doing is full distro upgrade. Now, I always start with minimum distro and just add shit that I need, so I don't know are there any metapackages that could cause that.
Also keep in mind that Suse have their own metapackages that you can use to quickly set up any kind of server, virtualization or whatever... One of those can be an issue too.
Read up on Zypper after checking, your problem is probably few commands away. I'm not home to check exactly what should you do first, just saying from memory.

Upgrades on Suse sometimes end up releasing some space, same as any other distro depending on software you have installed

>susefaggots
But I'm not (anymore) using suse, you sort fused black guy.

>suse takes long to boo-

Attached: 313203 808.png (594x50, 8K)

All faggots BTFO

>8 Secs
you do realize that's slow, dont you?

From my experience with it so far, not enough stuff works out the box. Might be because I'm on tumbleweed, but even on a completely fresh install there's so many packages that are a pain to get working. Terminator, firefox, virtualbox and more. You also need to jump through more hoops for things like nfs shares.

Everyone's shitting on you but I moved recently from Debian to OpenSUSE, same computer (SSD) and same DE. Both the boot and shutdown times are /significantly/ longer.

>Suse fags call this fast

Attached: ar.png (557x64, 10K)

Where's your firmware?

>systemd
>y
>s
>t
>e
>m
>d

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: 8B6D4182-097C-4AF3-8D3C-09860519A100.jpg (358x500, 70K)

BASED

Pasting old pasta:

Previous thread: 1/3
>Why would I use openSUSE over the other distros?
-Graphical installer with many installation patterns for different Desktop Environments or minimal installations
-Built in snapshots(similar to Windows Restore Points) through Btrfs and Snapper: en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
Restore from grub: >64832871 >64832885
Restore through snapper: >64832824
-YaST configuration tools, just about everything can be configured through a GUI!
-Automated package testing through OpenQA: openqa.opensuse.org/
-KDE is stable, integration between KDe and Firefox
-Stable release with Leap, latest rolling with Tumbleweed
-Service status page: status.opensuse.org/
-Find and install openSUSE packages through software.opensuse.org
-If software.opensuse.org is down, try: opensuse.pkgs.org/
-openSUSE build service, build your own packages! openbuildservice.org/
-Mailing list, high recommended to follow if you use Tumbleweed: lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/

>updating in openSUSE Tumbleweed broke my system!
Be sure to use zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change as recommended per: en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

>The default fonts and codecs are lacking, can I have proper fonts, font rendering and codecs?
Yes, these are not included by default because of licensing issues: en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist
Try these:
Codecs and MS Fonts:
opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
Official instructions here: en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman
Bug reports regarding font rendering: bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=font rendering
Ubuntu font rendering:
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3

Attached: opensuse_minimal1.jpg (1024x769, 42K)

2/3
>openSUSE is horribly bloated by default!
Yes, the default installation patterns install quite a few packages, try the Server(Text Mode) or Custom option during installation to specify installation patterns:

>Why does openSUSE install all these dependencies I don't need?
The packagers determine dependencies, they've gone for features over slim.
You can turn that down.
After installation, open /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and change:
solver.onlyRequires = true
solver.cleandepsOnRemove = true

>Can I use RX Vega with the opensource (AMDGPU) driver?
Yes but this does require using Tumbleweed and developer repositories to ensure the latest Mesa, Xorg, OpenGL and Wine version (and others), breaking some dependencies in the process.

sudo zypper ar download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/forkbomb:/turboAMD/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ turboAMD
sudo zypper ref
sudo zypper dup --from turboAMD
Switch to turboAMD packages and keep kwin packages (break dependencies)

>Firefox is slow!
OpenSUSE will install Firefox ESR(Extended Support Release) by default because of its stability.
You can install the latest (and faster) Firefox from software.opensuse.org/package/MozillaFirefox
Click "other versions" to find the package for Tumbleweed.

>Can I replace systemd with something else?
Technically yes but this this is not supported in openSUSE.
Try one of these distributions: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#open-source_operating_systems_without_systemd_in_the_default_installation

>I found a bug!
Please report it! en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

--

Attached: opensuse_minimal2.png (1026x769, 74K)

3/3
> Boot is slow compared to other distros
Yes it is, you can speed it up by:
-switching the network manager from wicked to NetworkManager in Network Settings and disabling ipv6
-disabling the postfix service in Service Manager
To continue tweaking try sudo systemd-analyze and sudo systemd-analyze blame.

>I'm running out of disk space help!
Make sure to configure the amount of Btrfs snapshots by:
sudo snapper set-config NUMBER_LIMIT=2-10 NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT=4-10
Check disk usage with ncdu or k4dirstat
You can clean up snapshots with sudo snapper list and sudo snapper delete or even sudo snapper delete -

>VLC is broken in Tumbleweed!
Videolan has a new repository: videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html

Attached: opensuse_grub1.png (801x601, 194K)

4/3
Most of this is probably outdated, can any openSUSE user confirm?

Attached: opensuse_grub2.png (802x602, 200K)

lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1408.1/02496.html

Attached: 04EA0DC5-882B-43B5-81F8-09D1156A1D98.png (307x403, 188K)

>lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1408.1/02496.html
Sure, point me to some decently supported systemd free distros then.
I thought Trisquel was alright but it's a one man show and VERY slowly updated.
Something that at least has a large community, provides security notices and has proper team behind it.

Attached: linuxlaughing.png (1200x796, 596K)

The repos are tiny and the release engineering sucks.

I had decided I was going to switch back from OpenSUSE to Debian tonight. I'll give this all a try first and reconsider though, thanks. Still, I do feel like a lot of this kinda stuff should be configured as such out of the box. It's certainly not a beginner friendly distro, unless someone experienced can come along and change this all on a fresh install.

I gave OpenSUSE a try a couple of weeks ago, and while most of it seemed really well polished trying to do package management with Yast felt painful as hell. Does Yast really not have any understanding of automatically-installed packages like Aptitude does?

Why should anyone use Opensuse over fedora ?

hooktube.com/watch?v=9oonm2GCCMo

>open su sa

Attached: 1506526746155.jpg (210x202, 37K)

Well you could do systemd-analyze blame for us on both, that'd probably tell us something about what's making openSUSE so slow to boot

I think --no-allow-vendor-change is the default these days

devuan, openbsd

Gentoo or Void.

>15 seconds is a good boot time
Here's my 10 year old laptop with that shitty 5400 RPM drive it came with:
Model Family: Western Digital Scorpio Blue Serial ATA
Device Model: WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT0
Rotation Rate: 5400 rpm
Startup finished in 3.932s (kernel) + 11.526s (userspace) = 15.458s
graphical.target reached after 11.526s in userspace
NAME="Arch Linux"

I haven't even enabled quiet boot back, which would save around 2 seconds on this machine. Your "fast" boot times are mediocre even for a slow hard disk. My machine with an SSD boots in ~4 seconds, and quite a bit of that time is spent starting TLP.