Why was Ubuntu Unity so beautiful?

Attached: ADlsf.png (1366x768, 331K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F1i7jAtHcw4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice b8 faggot. Fuck off

Oh, nooowww you fuckin like it

MY HEART WILL GO ONNNNNN

Attached: Screenshot_20180807_133046.png (1440x900, 560K)

it always was beautiful. gnome doesn't even come close.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-07 19-23-55.png (1366x768, 338K)

And more functional too! Gnome 3 is such clusterfuck that I can't begin to describe how counter-intuitive it is! Why Canonical decided to scrape unity for it is beyond me, they could of simply went with plasma as their default desktop instead.

can you move the window buttons before the window title?

You could do the same layout with xfce easily

In xfce yes

KDE plasma is the most underrated DE in the history of the GNU/Linux operating systems

mate does

Yes, this is the active window control widget.

i improved it, like this?

xfce is ugly and deprecated

Attached: Screenshot_20180807_155515.png (1440x900, 548K)

when you maximize the titlebar disappears and adds the buttons on the panel

im impressed by KDE, might switch right now

Attached: Screenshot_20180807_155521.png (1440x900, 154K)

>xfce is ugly and deprecated

lol, it's literally the only sane DE for Linux. KDE Plasma is a clumsy clusterfuck in comparison, not even talking about the insane mess called Gnome

ive been using gnome and i just tried kde this morning (see screenshots). Theyre both okay, its sad that gnome is run by retards but the workflow is nice. KDE can replicate it but right before i typed this the DE krashed haha.

Unfortunately theyre the two good non ugly DEs and maintained by a group larger than 5 people unlike the other inferior DEs. Id say xfce is number 3 after kde and gnome but, xfce, like all the other inferior DEs is ugly and old. they will never receive updates that makes them competitive against mac and windows. That is the biggest issue. Maybe theyre stable, maybe theyre light, or even look good with a theme or two, but they will never get anywhere. Its like a vintage car, just nice to appreciate every now and then, cant race with it.

>Mint
>LXDE

KDE does it by default or you tweaked it?

xfce needs a sane default file manager, thunar is subpar, does it have search yet?
a lot of bugs and you can't even safely remove a removable hd sometimes

move botton panel to top and resize, add "active window control" widget to get the X/min/max buttons on the pannel and place on top left. Then get application title widget because it works better than active control function in widget and place right beside it and tweak that in its settings. Then add Global menu widget for the File Edit View... options. Oh and add user switcher widget in top right like unity to logout etc.

Add new panel and put it on side of screen like Unity.

i was considering xfce but thunar no search was the deal breaker.

Never thought someone would give this much details on Jow Forums. Thank you user-kun

i was surprised how easy it was, Its just messing with the option of the widget themselves thats annoying and for the most part personal preference. Like if you want the logo of mozilla or if "firefox web browser" should be bold like in my screenshot.

i have to give this guy credit youtube.com/watch?v=F1i7jAtHcw4

how’s the resource usage?

its honestly almost the same as gnome except maybe when idling at startup. But when you use it for a few hours, processes pile up in the background.

Attached: mem.png (1440x900, 230K)

>thunar no search
just CTRL+F inside thunar and type out what you want to search
y'all fucking brainlets

guess I’ll stick to i3 then. In the meantime I’ll try lxqt in a vm.

just use lightDM to switch between DE's/WM's
then uninstall it so you can look cool by logging in on a terminal and doing startx

no sweety, a file manager should have a big search button or it's shit
I tried installing nemo but the fact thunar was often launched (for example when removable disk were inserted) instead of it and no obvious way to configure it was a deal breaker

just wondering, why do you care about having it really light if you dont have the specs and get no lag? I almost no difference when it comes to battery life between something like xfce and gnome (i was told that cpu usage drains more than ram usage so i guess it comes down to the programs you use). And desktop wise? use all the ram you want man!

It was if you replaced the ooga booga wallpaper.

you DO have the specs and get no lag? I FOUND almost no difference*

too much coffee

>a file manager should have a big search button or it's shit

Attached: snap.jpg (2048x1617, 419K)

you can add the pic to your common sense collection