/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

also video and DIY discussion

Attached: 1e06b0f3b13bbfaf60d2a83206070b31.jpg (2592x1936, 673K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/cp6fk6.flac
files.catbox.moe/bwnniz.flac
dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/83760
youtu.be/bS4aN_MsKMo
youtu.be/qZmisi_CmN8
youtu.be/ErQqkl1di-A
youtu.be/IffrLAzV2ug
youtu.be/FMMx1zZUR-E
bowerswilkins50years.co.uk/albums/st-germain/
youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
discogs.com/Voices-From-The-Lake-Feat-Donato-Dozzy-Neel-Voices-From-The-Lake/release/3391790
discogs.com/DeepChord-Presents-Echospace-Liumin/master/256254
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

old thread

Found these on my local Craigslist for 50€, buy or not?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-07-17-36-01-674_com.facebook.katana.png (720x1280, 1.21M)

JBL best, end of thread

Attached: hifi-im-hinterhof-berlin-jbl-4367-2.jpg (1500x1000, 481K)

would buy

That look crazy old, how good can they sound?

might replace the midrange drivers with something better later

Attached: SANY0001.jpg (1600x1200, 481K)

sup guys, in a few days i'll try the ATH M60X

Attached: 20180806_113526.jpg (2016x1512, 843K)

white van: PASS!

Attached: 8c8864bd5d3adeb1c36fe6f80fdd4ed7--about-music-cool-music.jpg (472x750, 44K)

What cables should I run inside my wall to a wall mounted TV?

Here is what I had in mind (besides power obviously):
2x HDMI high speed 18Gbps
2x CAT6e

Anything else? I'm worried that in the new spec for HDMI I'm going to need 48Gbps but what can I do? It's an exterior wall so I'm going to try to run it in conduit but that is going to be hard.

Also any recommendations on height?

Attached: custom-media-room-installation-0-1.jpg (860x430, 231K)

Why KEF LS50W is objectively worse than JBL LSR305 while being ten times more expensive?

>JBL best
Begone, normie.

Are those Audax tweets?

Attached: -e975657b2f51bef7.jpg (920x614, 109K)

never heard about those before. these were the only ones that were small enough for the existing holes and are made by visaton

Because marketing

latest acquisition

Attached: 8fd64d5fc89059fab3736f19541fca86--loudspeaker.jpg (529x499, 29K)

Remove the cum crusts from your kb.

ok

Because obscure is better
>SEKRIT KLUB

speakers or headphoens for gaymen and movies in a desktop pc

Is it okay to use a turntable about 1 meter away from your listening position? I have no idea how loud they can be.
Also, are Dual turntables any good? Saw a magnetic one that i think was a Dual CS 455-1 for 80 euros at a small shop that sells and repairs old audio equipment.

speakers, always

yes

headphones are usually better if you dont have thousands for the speakers and amplifier

Where are my speakers my Harbethies REEEEEEE day 34 of this nightmare that will ever never end

Attached: IMG_1305.jpg (349x349, 37K)

As someone who exclusively used headphones until a while ago, speakers.
You don't need thousands for a decent set up and it will be way more satisfying than headphones.

>localization of sound sources inside your forehead
no thanks

Fuck, the reply was meant for

is kef q100 with like smsl sa50 enough?

I wouldn't get that amp.
Get a used Cambridge Audio Azur 540r or something

its mostly about the small details that are audible in cheaper headphones but not on cheap speakers.

i have open cans and I can hear what direction sounds come from just fine

>buying passive shit speakres on a budget
get monitors you autist

when do they arrive?

I don't want the Concertgebouw bolted to my head.

like this track files.catbox.moe/cp6fk6.flac
theres a part in the end that most cheap speakers cant play

I disagree with this. A lot more value in passive speakers than active monitors in budget speakers, not to mention a far better upgrade path in the future.

in the actives some of your money will go for the amp

>Craigslist
on the topic of sites like that, I'd like some input. I found this advertisement for a pair of Infinity speakers. So I call the guy and ask and he talks about how good they are and price he wants and then he mentions that it's not got the original elements but other elements from "other very good speakers".

Sounds very fishy, doesn't it? I'm specially cautious of the fact that it's random used elements, not new ones. What the hell would I be buying?

Dealbreaker, move on.

There a difference between 16 and 24bit

>why buy passives which can be found much cheaper for better sound, when you could buy monitors for the same price and get worse sound because you're buying the amp as well

Attached: 1529304327810.png (1400x1000, 923K)

audiophools triggered

>merely pretending

>paying more to get worse sound quality

Attached: nobrain3.jpg (645x729, 45K)

>theres a part in the end that most cheap speakers cant play
Shit just went quiet, should I get better speakers
>Collection albums
NOT EVEN ONCE

Attached: Untitled.png (1220x980, 71K)

what part? exact time and description of the sound we're supposed to hear.

yep, that's what you get with passive """hi-fi""" speakers

is this quiet enough for you files.catbox.moe/bwnniz.flac

he says something in the very end of the track. i have seen so many speakers that wont produce that part and it should not even be hard to produce that

If I live in a place with frequent brown-outs should I buy a power conditioner? Would I be better off with a UPS or should I not worry at all?

Attached: powerconditioner.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

not him but listening on my system right now

I'm trying to choose a portable media player to replace my 120gb ipod classic. so far these are the best i've seen

>Xduoo X10 $150
I like the manual controls but people at head-fi are saying the sound gets worse after only a year. no gapless playback
>Cayin N3 $150
12hr battery life, gapless playback, appears good except the touch-button interface seems insufferable
>Fiio X5 Gen 3 $320
Touch screen meme, spotify, low battery life

are there actually no good options now because everyone uses their phone or am i missing something actually good? what do

heard it, couldn't make it out

Attached: Audio_Setup_Gross.jpg (951x634, 178K)

What part can cheap speakers (~180 euros) not reproduce? Mine cut off at around 4:55, but so do my headphones.

thats an album thats completely green on the dynamic range checker thing. dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/83760

rec me some good bluetooth speakers

about 5:40 is where the part begins

Those few words at the end of the track, or what? I can hear those both on speakers (Bronze BX2s) and on headphones, if there's anything else I didn't hear it at all either way. I guess these don't qualify as cheap speakers though.

I do get what you're saying about fine details, though it's worth pointing out that unless you have a perfectly silent audition room fine, quiet details when using speakers may get lost in ambient noise while headphones have the advantage of providing at least some degree of isolation and have the drivers right up to your ear. It's naturally easier to pick up quiet details like that, especially at lower volumes.

are you retarded? it's just some quiet mumbling, wtf it has to do with speaker quality?

I live in Florida which has crazy power because of the storms and humidity. I run sensitive devices on a voltage regulator or battery backup. It's important to have the voltage regulation (which comes automatic with a battery backup).

Just don't plug in big amplifiers, and certainly not subwoofer amplifiers!

I hear everything up until 4:55 on my Mission LX-2. Don't know if I'm supposed to hear anything after that.

>quiet mumbling
that just means that your speakers suck

>is this quiet enough
It's not about being "quiet", it's about not being compressed and not clipping.
>files.catbox.moe/bwnniz.flac
Looks PERFECT

Attached: YES.png (610x980, 59K)

Need some recs for well produced albums because everything sounds like shit.

i compare speakers to the beyerdynamic 990 pro headphones. you cant get similar performance from speakers with less than 200€

About 8bits
In real world, hardly any as you would need a dynamic range of 96dB to reproduce 16bit fully, in a "quiet" room at 20dB, the peaks would need to be 116dB

youtu.be/bS4aN_MsKMo
youtu.be/qZmisi_CmN8
youtu.be/ErQqkl1di-A
youtu.be/IffrLAzV2ug
youtu.be/FMMx1zZUR-E

Attached: JBL_Altec_Tact_.jpg (500x333, 58K)

From what I've heard, most of Pink Floyd's stuff.
Brothers in Arms also sounds great (in DSD at least).
Portishead - Dummy
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

it just means that it's some quiet mumbling, retrado

What do you people mean by "compressed" sound?

My audiophile logitech Z323 play it perfectly.
Audiophools lose once again.

bowerswilkins50years.co.uk/albums/st-germain/

Kraftwerk

A number of meanings. Sometimes a mastering thing, like the engineers ran really heavy compression to get the album to sound "loud" on the radio which kills the dynamic range. It could be used to describe compressed music such as a low bitrate mp3 where information is noticeably missing. It could also be used to describe a speaker that is being driven so hard that it is starting to struggle, which often can be described as a "compressed" or "strained" sound.

klipsch the one

Usually refers to the loudness war

youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

discogs.com/Voices-From-The-Lake-Feat-Donato-Dozzy-Neel-Voices-From-The-Lake/release/3391790

discogs.com/DeepChord-Presents-Echospace-Liumin/master/256254

Attached: sleeping with telephones.jpg (1300x957, 141K)

Is that an ostrich jacket in the back there?

Reducing crest factor so more people can play music on their systems without clipping their weak amplifiers. Funny thing by the way, when we have all this almighty class D and AB devices that can dish out kilowatts of energy without any problems we get more compression.

I have the same monitor :) It's pretty great, but expensive.

Could I get recommendations for speakers? Going to use them at my computer desk. Budget about 400 usd

You'd be buying some mystery meat speakers essentially. Find something else, unless he tells you what these "very good speakers" are.

jbl lsr350. Ignore that one regular here who can't stand them.

adam t*v are good too I think but they cost more, also there are some new monitors from LSR designer but they don't have the patented waveguide

i don't think it's very expensive, i paid 407€ for my 650.

no blb or dead pixel visible. absolutely perfect

new Elac active is magnificent

Attached: ELAC-Argo-B51-internals.jpg (960x640, 141K)

Hey audio guys I have a problem, both my iphone and nokia will play audio for between 9-10 seconds then a very light static like noise is heard before the audio pauses, this happens on everything from youtube to the internal audio software within the phone, both the nokia and iphone are 5 years old, I'm wondering why this happens and if I can fix it? I find it very strange that they do this because if it was a driver problem I would assume they just wouldn't play audio... This only happens when I'm using headphones, if I use the phones speakers it plays fine, any guesses as to why this happens?

Pic related the two phones on the left are the ones in question.

Attached: WIN_20180808_07_32_19_Pro.jpg (1920x1080, 221K)

listening to beastie boys license to ill right now on it

Attached: shot of enitre setup.jpg (2256x1504, 1.4M)

I figured it out... for some reason those old phones can't handle an unsplit audio/mic cable.

Attached: 156165896489.gif (500x250, 995K)

Need you help /ag/, I plan on buying a mic for my Bose QC35 II and hook it all up to a Dualshock 4 for my PS4. I have 3 basic options: ModMic 5, Audio Technica ATR3550 (IS? dunno what difference does that make) and V-MODA BoomPro.
This is already a fucking hassle because V-Moda requires a 2.5 to 3.5 TRS adapter, while the other two require a Y-adapter. Anyone have experience with these combos? I don't wanna lose quality, but there is no way to connect directly. I listened to a bunch of tests on the net and they all sound okay, except 3550 is sometimes too quiet and requires a battery. Also are pop filters a meme for gaming in a quiet room with speakers playing game audio? Pls respond

What I wish i ran inside my wall:
TV power
Studio monitors power + audio cable + RCA to optical to the TV
If you will have a subs, center channel speakers and receiver, you might think about that too. Might as well hide everything that connects to your TV behind the wall - consoles, TV or streaming boxes etc

I have connection problems with Win10 x64 desktop USB>Modi2>Magni2.

After a trip abroad with my Schiit stack and a Win7 laptop, the modi wouldn't be recognized by my desktop until 30min-1hour later when it would suddenly be recognized and start working. It is recognized and working instantly on my win7 laptop.

For some reason I bought a B-stock Wyrd instead of a cheap powered USB hub, and putting the Wyrd into the mix causes the Modi to not even be recognized by the Win7 Laptop. After that I got a USB 3.1 PCI-E card with a direct power connection to the power supply, and that didn't help with either Desktop>Modi>Magni or Desktop>Wyrd>Modi>Magni except that Desktop>Modi>Magni now takes maybe 20min to be recognized.

WTF is dis? Is the Wyrd defective or is it just exacerbating an existing problem with the Modi2?

I've done all the usual stuff like disabling usb power management, trying different ports, etc.

>Plumbers came today
>Spent ~$450 on necessary repairs
>Still have another $2000 to spend on replacing shitty galvanized steel pipes and sewer cleaning
>Leaves me with 1500 for audio equipment afterwards

Today was an okay day, lads

can you uninstall specific usb drivers and try again? or see if you can find whatever driver is used by each item and reinstall?

Pretty weird. Modi USB is still probably at fault but without another DAC to test Wyrd/desktop it's hard to say.

>Fixed an old desk fan today
>Got paid €10 for it
>Finally able to buy myself a record for the first time in quite a while
Living off autismbux is nice until you want to buy things that aren't food or thrifted electronics. Thank fuck I get side jobs repairing old electronics. Pic related, generic 80s Technics STK-based amp on my bench waiting for -you guessed it- a new STK module. Gonna charge 40 yurobux for the replacement job.

Attached: cc1296a0-8c2b-4ef5-8a04-99450903e9a3.jpg (720x540, 51K)

wow
so ugly

I've that in device manager, didn't change anything.

I'll try to test the Wyrd as just a regular hub with a flash drive or a phone or something.

noice