Went back to Android development and want to kill myself

>Be me in 2015
>Develop Android apps in a Core2 machine
>In based Windows XP
>Emulator is slow but usable
>Can still debug in Gingerbread device as long as I don't use new APIs.

>Be me in the same machine, 2018
>Windows XP no longer supported. Install everything again in a linux partition.
>Install Android Studio and emulator
>It's fucking 10 GB in total
>Spend 3 hours configuring everything because Google only cares about windows and mac documentation.
>x86 emulator now requires a processor with VT-x. Those without are told to fuck off or use a real device.
>Nobody mentions the good old ARM emulator.
>Download another GB
>Start it
>Black screen
>Animation starts
>30 min later, still animation. Logcat indicates it is still booting.
>Finally the launcher shows. Everything is slow as fuck. Storage has grown to 2.5 GB.
>try to compile
>gradle hell takes like 5 min
>adb install never finishes despite emulator is running (more like crawling)
>Can't use Gingerbread device for hello world because project requires min SDK 14 due to muh appcompat library dependency
>Think that by using Flutter I could avoid all those ugly Java APIs and eliminate the need of compat libraries, as code is compiled to native
>requires minSDKVersion 16

What the hell are those 100K Google engineers doing? The app compat library used to support SDK 9. It is a goddamn compat library. It has to offer retrocompatibility as it name implies. But I guess it was too much work to maintain it, you lazy cunts. Well instead of increasing the min SDK to cut tons of code you might as well get rid of the library altogether, and force everyone to buy new devices. The slow ARM emulator, which you were never able to fix, was at least usable. Development was possible on less than 1 GB RAM. Devices had 512 MB of RAM. The fuck is this hell? From where this pleasure in addind as much clutter as possible to everything? Is it because you have to live in a dirty van in the street?

Attached: justkillme.jpg (250x211, 3K)

What you need, my friend, is diversity.

You know, even though Winows XP is no longer supported, you can still use it... Unless you're a complete fucking branliet, and can't help but click on false download links, you should be fine. I'm actually typing this from a machine running Windows XP :p

lol linux fag btfo

>Android is literally Linux
>can't dev for Android under Linux
sasuga

flutter

How retarded can you be?
Why are you still on a win xp machine?
Why?

>be me
>use Win 10 and Android Studio
>have no fucking clue about the technicalities
>it just werks

Call me when you reach level 2.

get a better computer and install windows 10.
there, problem solved.

Good luck with all the exploits on your two decade old OS that will never be patched. Good thing code can't run silently from a malicious element on pretty much any web page and infect your system without you even knowing...

>Windows XP
>Linux
Jesus Christ Gah Noo neckbeards got you hard. Install a non meme OS and it just werk.

>using windows XP in 2018
>not a brainlet

Still requires intellij

A modern day macbook air has much better specs than your piece of trash core2 build. Think about that and upgrade your shit.
Software wants hardware, not the other way around.

>be me
>have no clue about anything really, especially developing for Android
>learn enough in a month to make an app
>currently earning £27,000+ per month from said app
Life is pretty good right now lads.

Attached: johnson.jpg (590x350, 37K)

90% of contnet is spy software

Shocker, you can't emulate a bloated OS across architectures on a ten-year-old PC.
You can't run Dolphin on a 486, either.

what app?
You have about 15 seconds to prove android is bloated, then give an example of a non-bloated mobile OS with the same or better functionality.

If I tell you that iOS is better optimized will you pitch an autistic fit about how it doesn't have the same functionality and other bullshit?

Attached: Screenshot_20180808-032356.png (1080x1920, 69K)

>better optimised
Not really, it can't run on my xiaomi and is a proprietary OS. Or can you run ios 12 on iphone 4s now?

>what app?
No, Facebook owns that one. I'd rather not say the name, but it's an app for mechanics that allows them to design, and 3D print, their own customised Johnson Rods.

>it can't run on my xiaomi
>proprietary OS
not relevant, iOS is tailor-made for iPhones and that's why it always runs smoothly
>can you run ios 12 on iphone 4s
not officially, but iOS 12 is officially supported as back as 5S. which is like having Pie supported on a KitKat device

The thing is I also run XP til this day and cannot recall having any virus since 2095 or so.
Meanwhile I know a lot of people who use up to date Windows and still get infected pretty much every month by some bullshit.

Rhetorical question, I know you're larping

The iOS simulator is actually usable on older machines.

Can confirm. Still runs well in an old mac mini in my office. The iOS emulator was well thought from the start. It mimics the interface of iOS, but under the hood all those calls are actually run by the development machine itself.
The android simulator is a freaking ARM virtual machine. Thus it was inevitably slow because all development machines were x86. Pre-lollypop images were usable, but after that the ammount of bloat added to Android is such that the processor just can't cope.
Later on when x86 Android was released it allowed for faster execution, but needs HAXM, VT-x, and in linux, KVM installed.

The thing is that my "piece of trash" beats many more processors, and was able to run an android development environment with no problems.
To put this in perspective, the machine I had in my office had also Windows XP, 3 GB of RAM instead of 8, and a shitty 2 GHz processor instead of 3, and also worked perfectly for Android development.
My point is everything has been bloated beyond necessity.

>buy a mac
I've seen several mac laptops and desktops from my coworkers and they throttle like hell when compiling Angular projects because of muh design choices which doesn't allow for efficient cooling.
My new shitty Acer desktop beats the fuck out of them compiling the very same projects.

>You have about 15 seconds to prove android is bloated, then give an example of a non-bloated mobile OS with the same or better functionality.
The userspace is written in Java. No other proof required.
Give me one good reason why a decent operating system for any platform or purpose would exist in the current state of technology and give a good reason as to why there not being one is a good justification for everything being so shit.

>You have about 15 seconds to prove android is bloated, then give an example of a non-bloated mobile OS with the same or better functionality.
Blackberry OS was based. POSIX and real time. Everything written in C++ and Qt. It took many features from Android, so it is very similar.

>still using hw thats atleast a decade old and complaining it cant run things properly
>blame it on the devs

Attached: 1521025849480.png (300x300, 106K)

>since 2095
Futureposter go away

Underrated post

>poorfag

Does not, I used it under vs code

Thanks Jow Forums, fpbp

>It's fucking 10 GB in total
Fake and gay, show me proof and I'll show you mine.
>Those without are told to fuck off or use a real device
Run your own x86 vm
>Spend 3 hours configuring everything because Google only cares about windows and mac documentation
The Lignux experience™
>Everything is slow as fuck
You're using an arm emulator on a core2, wonder why it's slow as shit
>project requires min SDK 14 due to muh appcompat library
>used to support SDK 9
Use pre 26 versions of appcompat or the old v4, not sure.
>as much clutter as possible to everything
I't called evolution, android studio has more features and functionality than ever had, they can't afford not improving just to cater to the 5% with low spec machines. It's a really powerful IDE but you can always go with the good ol text editor.

>run an android development environment with no problems
Use that version then
>bloated beyond necessity
Features were added because people deemed them necessary .

Can you emulate android with linux and Ryzen?

You know you can just plug in your phone and deploy your test builds on that, right? If you enable remote debugging all the stuff like logcat still works.

>2095
user, you may want your y1k support get fixed.

>2095
user, you may want your y1k support get fixed.

>teach myself how to develop apps from scratch
>spend 10 months with my best friend writing a very advanced android game, using unity and a lot of custom android code
>release it and spend $500 on ads
>6 months later and we're only just cracking 5000 downloads, total revenue $110

Why did you post the same shit 7min later?

Attached: 1531625130638.gif (496x278, 500K)