Is Intel SGX gonna kill piracy?

Is Intel SGX gonna kill piracy?

Attached: image.png (979x492, 525K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxgizmos.com/linux-boots-on-new-shakti-risc-v-chip/
blackhat.com/docs/us-16/materials/us-16-Aumasson-SGX-Secure-Enclaves-In-Practice-Security-And-Crypto-Review.pdf
github.com/lsds/spectre-attack-sgx
youtube.com/watch?v=iWGAdoMz1c0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not sure what this has with piracy to do

They can't even handle what should be the standard in regards to application security (see meltdown & spectre), do you really believe another of their marketing schemes?

what piracy, dumbfuck?

Intel SGX is DRM on hardware level.

Buy AMD. Problem solved. It's better anyway.

How much will Intel charge for this?

And AMD will start doing the same..

Just use old microcode with Spectre vulnerabilities and then attack the "memory enclave" with that. But the long and short is maybe. I imagine with enough will you can try and reverse the drm machine like they did for Blu-ray. Using it would be a dmca violation though and could carry a criminal sentence

Then I guess we're stuck with Indian CPUs
linuxgizmos.com/linux-boots-on-new-shakti-risc-v-chip/

This looks more like an attempt to plug meltdown and spectre.

turn it off in bios
done

And yet another reason to buy ryzen 2

>turn it off in bios
>can't watch DRM protected content anymore
>done
FTFY

If you use Windows that might be the case.

exactly.

You won't be able to watch it anyway if you pirate. Not a big loss.

inb4 SpectreGX

>watching DRM encumbered shit
>not pirating for maximum software freedumbs

nice, you caught the bait just as expected
>>watching DRM encumbered shit
word for word as expected.

Should i really worry about this Intel SGX stuff?

I use Windows for gaming mostly, pls redpill me.

Attached: sadfrog.png (412x351, 78K)

> I use Windows
You shouldn't. There's more obvious stuff going on in Windows.

>let's make it even harder for end users to perform their own security testing on the software they're using

???

Just like how you can "turn off" IME in the BIOS too, right?

No one is worried about this?

REALLY?

I don't think anyone really cares to pay more for a slower CPU with DRM right now. This is just more of Intel shooting themselves in the foot.

You know Intel's stock dropped 10% and AMD's shot up 10% right? Intel is losing millions and millions because they suck cocks right now. Nobody cares.

>AMD doesn't do the exact same shit

Attached: 1531467332947.png (586x578, 37K)

elaborate

shills can't elaborate

You can't stop piracy. It's just another upcoming battle in the arms race.

There are so many buzzwords on their site. Can someone familiar with SGX summarise it for me from a developer perspective? In particular,
>does the code and data that will reside in the enclave ever exist in the clear inside the host application?
>if not, where and how does it get encrypted/signed? At build time? Do I send the binary to Intel or just encrypt against a known public key?

>stopping piracy
Just remove the internet and computers altogether. There, you "fixed" piracy.

What is the analog hole?

Surely you mean C-POO-Us

I lol'd

Actually, this completely defeats conventional piracy, that piracy where you download the crack and done.
This changes the scope from patching software to finding vulnerabilities in the hardware to crack software.
What will happen to piracy when the last CPU with spectre vulnerability dies down?
Scene crackers are now going to be hardware hackers in a very high stakes game, the stake is a $250k pay check if you find a hardware vulnerability.

SGX is the end of freedom for our computers, this is the start of a "closed" source computer.

If you want to read more about SGX, there is a slide presentation from blackhat where it answers most of your questions.

blackhat.com/docs/us-16/materials/us-16-Aumasson-SGX-Secure-Enclaves-In-Practice-Security-And-Crypto-Review.pdf

From what I understood, the enclave is initially secrets-free, but it can generate a key pair where the enclave sends the public key to a remote client, the client then encrypts the code and send to the enclave where there it would decrypt with the private key and execute it.
Based on this you could make a DRM which it is "unbreakable", a secure remote client setup the enclave and the keypair, then the secure client encrypts the code and sends to your computer(the enclave, which it is not under your control).
I could be completely wrong though, but that slide prsentation should get you started.

drm is futile. normies will be the victim and cracked content always be around.

It's required to view Netflix 4K on PC

nope, this DRM is different from anything else we have encountered so far, this is DRM on the hardware level. the only way to crack shit now is if we hack like we do with gaming consoles, finding vulnerabilities in the hardware to leak information or execute our code.
this is also a big punch in the guts for those who like full control of their systems, this time we can have code running in places where we can't reach.

Quit acting like you're fucking smarter than everyone else

I'm scared Jow Forums

What do we do?

Attached: 1417673718275.png (242x208, 5K)

we can always reach it with a soldering iron.

That does not sound good but I imagine there will be enough demand for PCs you can control so supply will follow.

Worst case, it is down to CAM or TS quality copies but there will probably still be software ways to circumvent it. Then just distribute cracked content.

It might be a new try but I am confident there will be a weak link to exploit. In case of audio and video content, just crack the medium, not the hardware (which is what I meant before).
They would go full whitelist-ecosystem which I don't see happening.

shut up if you are just flaming.

nothing we can do, intel is pretty much a monopoly right now.
amd is probably going to do the same, i also even heard that they have similar implementations, but not as severe as this one.

yeah, physical attacks are still possible, but the cost to decap an intel chip and to use an electron microscope is too high, sure, it is still possible to hack it, but the cost/effort is what makes the thing "unhackable" for the average consumer.

for now it exist exploits inside intel chip to defeat SGX like this one.
github.com/lsds/spectre-attack-sgx
but the problem is that this has become a very high stakes business for crackers, before with ring -1( hypervisor or virtual machine privilege) we could crack any software based DRM, this is why all DRM solutions for PC gets cracked eventually, the only way to completely secure a DRM for PC is by having a secure element inside your computer which is not under our control.

intel made a very sound design, they followed almost all important concepts in infosec like confidentiality(not being able to see the code) and integrity(not being able to modify code) all in hardware which it is always the starting point to make a computer system secure.

Yeah those Somalian pirates are fucked now

>malware uses SGX
>you're now completely fucked
Thank you, Intel.

at least they were smart about this and now you need to sign a NDA between you and intel to use SGX, that "should" at least stop the average black hat.

It's called NSA democracy protection protocol you fucking Natzi. Why do you have to be so antisemitic? Are you patriot? Don't you worry about the glory of Israel?

nope

why do you need piracy in 2018 anyway?
Don't tell me that you still use harmful and proprietary software!

Attached: 1533262253817.jpg (2048x1536, 690K)

It's not just piracy, this could create doors for making "any" software undetectable. This is bad both for white hats and black hats.
If it exist bugs inside SGX, that could breed a new type of malware, even more powerful than rootkits and hyperkits(hypervisor mode rootkits), an appropriate name is "hardkit".

What about the 17 hardware vulnerabilities in intel processors? I'm pretty sure they are privacy invasions aswell

Attached: 2018-08-08 02_07_22.png (1034x905, 45K)

Yeah, just as Denuvo stopped piracy in vidya!

30% performance loss on intel processors confirmed

1 more reason to switch to AMD. Also, we need a third player on the x86 market

No it's not DRM retard, it's a security measure for spectre issues, mostly concerning cloud computing

Sounds great for malware

Fear not. Open-source CPU architectures are being worked on, like J-Core.

how can they kill piracy if no one is using their cpus?

ayy there's winxp over there

>mcafee

Just wait until this breaks Wine or some shit.

So it's security through obscurity. Nothing is free from vulnerabilities...

>using intlel

Attached: 1390873416897.png (377x474, 328K)

Actually the correct term is security by isolation, the code is not running under your control.

Could IBM dip their toes back into the desktop cpu market and provide an alternative? (remeber the power pc processors?)

would be interesting.

>> I use Windows
>You shouldn't. There's more obvious stuff going on in Windows.
he's gaming on windows.. *nix can't handle the shit gaming puts wine through. wine is always 6 years behind in proper support for videya.

>Just remove the internet and computers altogether. There, you "fixed" piracy.
ya remove the computers would help .. but interweb removal won't do it. and if some how pcs were to dissapear piracy would evolve for smart devices. either way it's there to stay.

Attached: pirate.jpg (1225x919, 202K)

This is out already and in 7th gen+ and Xeons you fucking idiot. You can turn it off in bios.

>crack, pop
Hyep
>sip
Remember Powerpc.

Attached: boomer.jpg (633x640, 47K)

We've had a third, nay even more than that, player on the market before. AMD is the only one that's managed to make it.

The first thing a company does when it gets top spot is to make sure there are no other competitors. It's not to revolutionize or innovate. They've tried to kill off AMD several times already but have failed so far.

Are you retard? Its clearly their sad attempt to fix their spector issues

i still have a g5 power pc. only thing i hate is how i can't get a modern web browser working on it.

marketing a spectre-meltdown fix as a 'feature'.

this has been around since 2013

Sad they have to market security patches

Yea, I've got a clone with a zif card in it. I finally snagged a 7400 from a Yikes motherboard to upgrade it to.

I can't stand people trying to point out PowerPC, or even Risc-v, as some sort of solution. Son, you already burnt that bridge. Stop bringing it up now.

It's sad that people will just eat it up too.

i just think someone wanting to start a splash much like cyrix did back in the late 80s early 90s? could choose now to make such an entrance into the market.

youtube.com/watch?v=iWGAdoMz1c0