Ultra mobile personal computer thread

Why are modern so soulless and why are they so rare, i just want a tiny laptop with a 5-7 inch screen, i dont even want that much processor power.

what are your thoughs about UMPC's? also Whats your favorite UMPC?

Attached: pc110.png (964x464, 691K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xrYL07hPw4w
youtube.com/watch?v=q5AkBBQWZR4
linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/06/customizing-ubuntu-isos-documentation.html?m=0).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

also i hate the trend of "the thinner the better" why wouldnt they make the GPD Pocket (right) half an inch thiccer so it dosnt overheat?, for me the PC 110 is the perfect thick but it is hard as fuck to find and is expensive af

Attached: ifdragonfly.jpg (550x401, 58K)

it's called an iPhone.

Sony Vaio's are nice, but they are way too w i d e and not that comfy

Attached: sony-vaio-p-1.jpg (480x342, 18K)

the gpd pocket is 10/10

spilled beer on it and fucked the keyboard a few days ago, only cost me 27 dollars and an hour of work to replace it. having a celebratory drink right now while shitposting and its comfy as fuck

Attached: IMG_20180808_215141675.jpg (2048x1152, 285K)

Raspberry pi's umpc's are comfy but they look way too fragile (the screen flex for example) and i hate 3d printers (because i dont have one)

Attached: 1_-HfU4A-NLdUuIykAU0CC5w.png (800x548, 528K)

thanks for the pic, but is really that good? it looks way too "apple" for my heart ;-;

way too thin

but is a concept so we will see when i comes out (if it has some succes)

normies won't buy it if it won't fit in their pocket, and even an extra bit of thickness can make a huge difference

i know, i may sound like a boomer but i hate normies and apple-kids

GPD Pocket2

oh, i fucked up, i said half an inch but thats actually a lot (i use centimeters) so yeah, i actually though about 0.20 inches

it has a usb3 and usb c port
it has active cooling and a quad core 2.6ghz processor
it has A FUCKING 1920X1200 SCREEN AWWW YEAH
sound is shit
keyboard is amazing and beautifully clicky. i'm a cherry green kind of man, i like high actuation force and click and this is ok in my book

it plays FTL, duskers, sc1 and other nice old games in a portable form factor

the design may be a shameless apple knock off but the implementation far surpasses it. if you've ever seen autist man rossman rant about how shit macbook keyboards are because they're not replaceable you'll appreciate how easy it is to take the gpd pocket apart and unfuck it when you break the keyboard with an unlucky spill.

still at the bar downing sake bombs and dominion cherry lager but i will answer any questions about it while i drink

oh i forgot another important part it has a trackpoint just like muh old thinkpads

What makes you think GPD shitcket won't overheat if it was a half inch thiccer

that actually sounds nice, the 2 thinghs i dont like is the 1920x1200 screen (is a waste of battery life in a 7 inch screen, i would be perfectly fine with 1366x768 or something like that)

and the apple-like design

but yeah, i dont have that many alternatives, i may end getting one

bigger heatsinks + more space for airflow= better temperatures and maybe some extra feature (like bigger battery)

Battery impact on the Core m3 is negligible when running at 1920x1200. The Surface Pro runs at almost 3k and the battery still lasts 12 hours easy

you shut the fuck up you want as high a resolution as you can get you can always downscale

i forgot to add that i've done some additional maintenance to it:

replaced the thermal paste with a graphite pad. its not really for increased cooling as much as it is to prevent thermal pumping. I've also added a fuck ton of thermal pad to the heatpipe so it presses firmly against the aluminum backplate for increased cooling. as long as you're not maintaining prime95 it will keep its 2.56ghz turbo on all 4 cores

damn, calm down, i actually said it looks nice, also, i like the idea if the thermal pads to the aluminium backplate

i'm sorry user i'm just stressed out and drinking. my droid turbo 2 died this morning and i just managed to fix the gpd pocket and droid phone before making it to the bar. poor phone just has to last 8 more days and it can go sleep

The MR-1 looks cool, it has military grade materials, so, if for some reason someone puts a bomb under your desk, your infromation and riced linux would probably be safe

Attached: mr1.jpg (640x595, 54K)

It's called a phone, thanks.

if you have a x86 phone, yes, otherwise, fuck off

"sent from my apple fuckphone which cost 1/3 more than a proper umpc with less capabilities and more notches"

seeing how options on the market are limited, how hard would it be to just stick a raspberry pi in an old umpc and get the old hardware working with it?

Attached: 491dd2592e5a2a0be8408437a408f285.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

raspi all have shit power consumption. they are not meant to be mobile sadly

also, rasbpis are ARM, if you want x86 check other alternatives

it should be thin and portable at the expense of performance
if i want performance ill get a gaming laptop

we arent talking about performance, we a re talking about overheating, if i want something to heat i buy a stove, but we want a functional umpc even if it has to be 0.20 inches thicker

HOW CAN YOU FUCKING TYPE ON THAT

Are you getting Pocket 2?

>That random SD card shoved in the bottom unit not attached to anything
u wot

I am a UMPC hobbyist. I know about almost every UMPC that's still sold these days or on Japanese auction/ebay type sites. What are your minimum requirements and size?

Attached: IMG_9460.png (1136x640, 980K)

What's the overall best one out there?

If you don't care about the price: any of the GPD's that most suit your needs.
If you want a barebones CHEAP Arch/Void/OpenBSD/NetBSD machine which has maintained support even today try a Sharp Zaurus. They go for 20 bucks on yahoo auctions.

The reason they overheat is the terrible heatsink, there are videos of people modding theirs with a tiny piece of copper which they put between the heatsink and CPU and it turns out those modded ones run like 10 degrees colder.

>HOW CAN YOU FUCKING TYPE ON THAT

I can't type on anything narrower than about eleven inches display. Even that is not fun after a little bit.

I imagine you'll have to hunt and peck or use telekinesis somehow

Pic unrelated

Attached: 1530897337240.jpg (893x533, 297K)

I have no real reason or need to get one, but the GPD pocket 2 is so tempting. though it just looks that little bit too awkward for a lot of things. Unlike the GPD Win you can't hold the screen close if you want to game, and it looks awkwardly small for text editing in some of the videos i've seen...

But still, a really cool concept.

>2018
>not using your phone as laptop

Attached: untitled1.gif (800x600, 2.33M)

Smallest youll ever come by are 11' and 12' screens. Anything smaller would have to be custom made or be a limited time project by the company.

>Most of these seem to be running on old OS'.
>Having a Non-Mobile os is a must.

Have any of you found one with a touch screen integrated? That would be a huge upgrade from the mouse.

Attached: Hi. I have downsyndrome.jpg (386x395, 22K)

Yea but the problem with this is the mobile os'.

What's wrong with it?
You can do on it anything you want, even running windows.

>what are your thoughs about UMPC's
It's a niche between phone and laptop that has literally no reason to exist.

Can I just have a netbook form factor? A nice 8-10 inch screen with not disgusting specs?

Doesn't Android have a pretty decent QEMU port? Couldn't you just run an ARM Linux distro in KVM or do something like x86 Lubuntu in TCG? Phones have pretty fast processors now with 6-8GB of RAM and 128GB storage.

I unironically want this. Theres a couple out there. One called superbook that had a kickstarter and some other one. Idk if they ever hit market though.

Just get something like pic related for your phone.

Attached: Ugreen-USB-C-Adapter-All-in-One-Type-C-to-3-0-HUB-HDMI-VGA-DP.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 40K)

just press buttons lol

eventually yes. I decided to buy a pocket 1 because it has a trackpoint mouse, and because it has 2 years of community support and knowledgebase built up already.

X86 computer with a physical keyboard that fits in your pocket has a lot of uses

Any mobile version software of a desktop version software is stripped down a lot of the time.

Thumbs nigger, thumbs

Attached: 1529799700711-vr.jpg (2560x1440, 1M)

I unironically use KDE so that I can write my code on my laptop using Keyboard69 from my phone

Legit question.
How the fuck do you even type on these things?
Ergonomics are up in the ass, or not?

OOOOHH OP here again, i actually forgot about the Pyra, for me, is the comfyest "modern" UMPC, and i want one so bad, but they are rare.

Thumbs, like in a horizontal phone, fuck, have you never seen a Blackberry? they have the tiniest keyboards and they arent unconfortable at all

this but with a keyboard

Attached: 1.jpg (852x480, 19K)

if you want to share some cool information or some weird umpc you know, it would be cool

>11 inch shitposting and animu watching net book
>10-13 hours battery life
>32GB SSD
>2GB RAM
>throw in my bag with a 2TB external HDD which i rsync from desktop.
/comfy/

Attached: 2018-08-09-212017_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 232K)

Thats not in the laptop form factor

I want netbooks to make a comeback.

probably some SD adapter only put in there to hold the board above it in place

I wonder if in the near future we'll see good cpus that fit into the power requirements for those things, not just really shitty and slow stuff

the GPD pocket 2 gets close, but yeah, there isnt a big market for umpc so big companys arent interested

same, theres still some new chink netbooks but most of them are ARM (a tablet with a keyboard basically) and if i want to do ARM things i have a phone, 7-10 x86 netbooks are rare

It sure is. However as the neofetch print says, this is an openpandora, which can be purchased for as little as 120€ on German eBay now.

How much performance and battery life could someone realistically get if they used an old netbook chassis but with modern hardware and batteries? those things used to be really thick, so you could pack a lot of battery and cooling inside

All gpd models have been confirmed to come bundled with spyware
I hope you're all following SOP and doing fresh installs

Attached: 4L_xAfcd5Zo.jpg (640x640, 43K)

oh, the Pyra is the succesor, but do you have a link to the pandora at 120e? i cant find anything

obviously im not using win10, if i get a umpc i install something lighter like debian or gentoo

Will steam ever come to arm? I think we might see a umpc revival if that happens

i think windows 10 ARM can run steam, but i dont really know.

umpc's weren't made for gaming tho, they are little bussines laptops to take notes and send emails.

technically it can emulate x86 software, but obviously it runs like dogshit

Hardware improvments will allow them to. People want to play AAA desktop games on their phones. Just slap a keyboard or game controls on a large phone and youve got a umpc.
We already have gpd doing this but their devices arent phones and intel is unable to compete with atom. It needs to happen on ARM.

I think they're cool as a novelty sort of thing, but I sadly cannot imagine any practical use I'd have for a device this small.

Do you know any power efficient x86 single board xomputers?

agree man. chromebooks are doing well nowadays atleast until ipad and surface hit the market.
it's downhill for now.

nowadays, even on arm and x86, they have secure start admin locked from user. you are stuck on windows.
normies cannot flash and dont care for it, but i think it would get much better reception if it didnt try to lock out OSes

Attached: 2018-08-08-202850_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 217K)

A friend of mine bought a surface.

Honestly, anyone that pays 1300 bucks for that should be checked for downs.

agree but it's pure brand value nowadays. you dont know how important it was to these people to get that surface or ipad.

one of my lab matesis middle class and can barely afford it.he bought it and it's crashing on 1080p videos or if there are more than 10 apps open. he's still smiling looking at it.

that brand value just doesn't go away.

Attached: 2018-08-08-061253_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 296K)

I would just buy a ThinkPad x220 over that.

To make it even better, this stupid bitch just uses it for basic office stuff and checking the mail.

I guess you can't expect any better from someone that didn't even know what an SSD is.

>Ultra mobile

Unless it comes with a rocket pack or teleportation device, every laptop that fits in your backpack is exactly equally mobile.

UMPC use leads to this

youtube.com/watch?v=xrYL07hPw4w

youtube.com/watch?v=q5AkBBQWZR4

Attached: 1533843079240.jpg (789x750, 65K)

From a general usability standpoint, how is something like the GPD pocket? Just for stuff like text editing, maybe watching videos, light gaming - screen scaling seems essential in something like word usage.

I am.

Attached: blackberry_passport_-_main.jpg (620x349, 35K)

for proper screen scaling they'd need to build it with either a 720p display or 1440p, since windows only scales properly at 100, 200, 300, etc

I guess they went with the higher resolution for them premium feels. But practically a 1200x800 display probably would have been better.

a 1920x1200 screen at 100% scale would be really difficult to read, and at 200% windows won't work properly

no, because you can put most umpcs in your pockets, which makes them easier to transport

the mom one is sad, but why does she care thaat much, let your kid fuck stuffed ponys

lmao, look at this lenovo pocket concept design, is way too W I D E even more than the sony vaio pocket

Attached: lenovo-pocket.jpg (640x491, 33K)

i know of their dock thing but do they actually make this laptop thing? im so fucking down to get a S9 if they do

My phone has about reached the end of its lifespan, so I was thinking about getting a Gemini PDA as a replacement. What are you’re thoughts on it?

I don’t really use the actual “phone” services that much, so any inconvenience of its design won’t be any problem. I’m thinking a tiling window manager on that little linux machine would be perfect. SSH from anywhere on a physical keyboard that can fit in a pocket, man that would be something!
I’ve read that the Linux support for it is still a little rough around the edges, but as long it can run containers, like with Docker, then that I don’t forsee too many hiccups. And I’ve delt with ARM not playing nice with Linux before by respining the ISO (linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/06/customizing-ubuntu-isos-documentation.html?m=0).
So what do you think user? Worth it?

Attached: 2C6E15CF-4505-4185-B287-42B20E3E6C40.jpg (640x360, 58K)

Im strongly considering it.
apparently you have to flash distros to it and you cant install it by traditional means. i assume that means there is no easy way to have full disk encryption if you use desktop linux. im mostly fine with just android anyway.
it doesnt support all of verizons frequencies.
desktop linux runs on top of libhybris which is a compatibility layer between it and the android kernel and drivers. performance isnt great.
it's arm, so no steam games or other x86 stuff
if you are okay with all of those, i think it's worth it

if my J7 neo dies i will get the gemini pda, is not a good UMPC but it isnt a bad phone, and i prefer fisical keys

what do you need a umpc for if you never leave the basement